logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Furies
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-06-29 07:57
The Furies by Natalie Haynes
The Furies: A Novel - Natalie Haynes

TITLE:  The Furies

AUTHOR:  Natalie Haynes

_________________________

DESCRIPTION:

"When you open up, who will you let in?

When Alex Morris loses her fiancé in dreadful circumstances, she moves from London to Edinburgh to make a break with the past. Alex takes a job at a Pupil Referral Unit, which accepts the students excluded from other schools in the city. These are troubled, difficult kids and Alex is terrified of what she's taken on.

There is one class - a group of five teenagers - who intimidate Alex and every other teacher on The Unit. But with the help of the Greek tragedies she teaches, Alex gradually develops a rapport with them. Finding them enthralled by tales of cruel fate and bloody revenge, she even begins to worry that they are taking her lessons to heart, and that a whole new tragedy is being performed, right in front of her...
"

_____________________________

REVIEW:

I liked the writing style and the idea was interesting, but at the same time not particularly original.  Some of the character's actions/reactions didn't seem quite plausible.  This would probably make a decent movie.

review 2019-09-04 03:50
Ok read
The Furies - Katie Lowe

Found this book depressing on many levels. Teenage girls run amok, play at witchcraft, behave badly, murder is involved and it just keeps on keeping on. I tried to get involved and enjoy the story, but it fell short. Ok, just not for me.

review 2019-01-17 03:08
I found the subject matter difficult and the language too disturbing to finish it.
The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne

The Heart’s Invisible Furies, John Boyne, author; Stephen Hogan, narrator

I was so looking forward to reading this book because I admire the author’s work. After reading the first few chapters, I raved about it and recommended it. The narrator was great, interpreting situations and voices well.
Soon, however, as I read more and more, I had buyer’s remorse. Although it begins with the story of a young Irish Catholic girl who is humiliated in church after being sexually impregnated by a relative, whom she protects, the story veers off from her life and centers on the life of her child Cyril. She disappears and the reader meets Cyril’s dysfunctional adoptive family and home life. When  Cyril realizes, at age 7, that he rather enjoys the sexual company of boys, and discovers his homosexuality, with no one to speak to and no way to understand it, I began to wonder if this was a book I should continue to read.

After Cyril is then sent to a private school run by priests as a scholarship student, but is too naïve to understand that there is blatant homosexuality in his midst, until his first homosexual encounter shows up and coincidentally becomes his roommate, I gave up on finishing the book. One because it seemed contrived, two because I am not interested in how boys or men pleasure each other and the scenes and language were too explicit for my taste.

Also, the consequences of the Aids epidemic were alive and well in my lifetime, with friends and relatives suffering from the disease and succumbing to it. I did not care to read further about it. I simply found the content too disturbing. I felt as if it was written for liberals who are anti-church and LGBT activists. They may enjoy it far more than I did.

While I realize that I usually have an open mind and read a variety of genres, when I realized that I dreaded picking this book up each day, and got through only a few pages, I decided it was time to permanently put it down.

show activity (+)
review 2018-06-28 19:35
Woken Furies, Richard Morgan
Woken Furies - Richard K. Morgan

...snooze...wuh? What? What's happenning? Nevermind - I don't care - about the plot or the characters or even why the author ignores everything interesting in his universe to focus on utterly boring people and events.

review 2018-01-28 00:00
The Heart's Invisible Furies
The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne “You’ve done nothing since we first met but make me like you. Despite my best efforts. And it’s quite annoying, actually, because I was determined to hate you.”
“And I was equally determined to love you.”

I have very few ways to put this book into words, and I will not attempt to. There are many other reviews. For now, I'll say it's incredible and that I loved it. It's everything I want a book to be and it's masterful. It's straight to the favorites shelf.