logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Governess-Club:-Bonnie
Load new posts () and activity
review 2014-09-14 07:46
The Governess Club: Bonnie
The Governess Club: Bonnie - Ellie Macdonald

A short story I'd seen a few of my BL friends read and like, and I thought it would be a good way to wrap up my reading visit to Victorian-era England.

I am not generally a fan of romance fiction, although I keep trying, so my ratings reflect my tendency to roll my eyes at times.  As mentioned in other reviews, there are more than a fair few editing/copy editing errors in the story, but overall, it was an enjoyable read for an hour or so.  Bonnie is pleasant enough and Stephen Montgomery is just alpha enough that I liked him.

(HATED the scene with the ducks, btw.  Cruel and unnecessary to the plot.)

There's an attempt at mystery in the story, but the culprit was screamingly obvious from the start.  Not only did the author telegraph it, but there just weren't enough other characters for there to be any question.  Still, the point of this story was the romance, and that was what succeeded.

Definitely worth the .99 cents I paid for it.  I'll likely read it again at some point (although I'll skip the duck scene).

review 2014-09-12 23:45
So good, the copy editing issues didn't matter
The Governess Club: Bonnie - Ellie Macdonald

Miss Bonnie Hodges, governess to the Darrow family, is desperately trying to hold it together. Tragedy has struck, and she is the sole person left to be strong for the two little boys in her care. When the new guardian arrives, she hopes that things will get better. She wasn't expecting her new employer to be the most frustrating, overbearing, and ... handsome man she's ever seen.

Sir Stephen Montgomery is utterly distracted. He should be trying to figure out how his two best friends were killed in a suspicious accident and why the new young viscount seems destined to be the next victim. But he can't concentrate on anything but his growing infatuation with the beautiful, mysterious, and utterly captivating governess.

Together they're doing their best to save the two boys, but will Stephen's feelings for Bonnie get in the way of their search for a killer?

My Review:

This is the second book in the Governess Club series. Normally, I don't go for Scots as leading men because Highlanders don't appeal to me. By the end of the book, I wanted the Sexy Scotsman (Sir Stephen) for myself! What a bad-ass, true-to-the-ideal of alpha male - all without a hint of being domineering or egotistical! In a word: dreamy.

Bonnie was no slouch herself; she wasn't a martyr either. Rather, she cared for her traumatized young charges (the older being the new viscount, a title he should have received in 20-30 years in the future) beyond her professional duties. Stephen, as well as the reader, knew he could trust in Bonnie to help find who was creating chaos at Darrowgate. I loved their intimate tea times together. Again, the sex scenes were at the right level of heat and emotional pull (sexy Scotsman has no problem helping his lady clean up afterwards....like I said, dreamy).

There were still editing issues that became noticeable (last 5% of the book) but I was so won over with the writing and the story that the issues were not a barrier to giving this story all 5 stars.

So very much recommend, as a stand alone (the mystery is self-contained to this book) or read as part of the series. Novella length (about 110 NOOK pages from a total count of 123).

review 2013-09-27 04:16
The Governess Club: Bonnie by Ellie Macdonald
The Governess Club: Bonnie - Ellie Macdonald

In the second of the Governess Club, we meet up with Bonnie whose stuck in between a rock and a hard place. She's the only thing her students who are in her care Henry and Arthur have after the sudden death of their parents.
Something evil is looming over the estate and things seem to come to ahead when the boys guardian finally arrive - Sir Stephen Montgomery. Stephen and Boonie may butt heads but it's up to these two to keep the boys out of danger that seems to be drawing closer.

review 2013-09-26 00:00
The Governess Club: Bonnie
The Governess Club: Bonnie - Ellie Macdonald imageimageimage

There was a few conflicting details that didn't take away from the story but the characters themselves didn't feel as fleshed out as in Claire. Sir Stephen while acted like a hero whose been through alot, but never seem to truly thawed and his sudden love for Bonnie seem just to sudden.

Bonnie was a wonderful character who protected her wards and goes through some ringer while keeping her wits about her. I felt it was more believable that she fell in love with Stephen then he with her.

Unlike Claire, the romance lacked quiet a bit. There was a great mystery to whose out to get rid of the whole Darrow family but it was pretty easy to figure out who the real villain was. I think the mystery overwhelmed the whole of the book not giving room for much of anything else.

While a nice addition to the series just not a very strong one.

imageimageimage