logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Grovel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-05-28 10:16
The Absolute Sandman, Volume IV, Neil Gaiman
The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 4 - Neil Gaiman,Jon J. Muth,Dean Ormston,Glyn Dillon,Marc Hempel,Teddy Kristiansen,Kevin Nowlan,Richard Case,Daniel Vozzo,D'Israeli,Todd Klein,Michael Zulli,Dave McKean,Charles Vess

The fourth Absolute Sandman volume completes the main story arc of the series, combining disparate elements and characters to produce a finale that I did not expect at all at the beginning. Initially I struggled with not being able to discern how anything related to anything else but the second half ravels everything up neatly.

review 2020-02-12 10:49
Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter, Ferri & Conrad
Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter: Al... Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter: Album 38 - Jean-Yves Ferri,Didier Conrad,Albert Uderzo,René Goscinny

I was worried about the future of the Village of Indomitable Gauls we know so well, after finding the first Ferri & Conrad outing good but the subsequent two volumes to be following a deteriorating trend. My persistence paid off, however, with this return to form. It's the story most like one Goscinny would have written we have been given since the great writer's death. It focuses on some of the most beloved tropes of the series; bickering amongst the villagers, puns, daft character names, standing up to the Romans, long-suffering legionaries... and we get insight into the teens in the village, too - an amusing innovation. Delightful!

review 2020-01-07 16:10
The Absolute Sandman, Vol. III, Gaiman et. al.
The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 3 - Neil Gaiman,Michael Allred,Sherilyn van Valkenburgh,Lovern Kindzierski,Kent Williams,John Watkiss,Alec Stevens,Shea Anton Pensa,Vince Locke,Gary Amaro,Tony Harris,Dick Giordano,Daniel Vozzo,Bryan Talbot,Todd Klein,Mark Buckingham,Jill Thompson,Michael Zul

Well, this is of course, brilliant. But why? It occurs to me that the world Gaiman set up for himself was in fact the perfect tool for him: He could incorporate any mythology, religion, genre, location or time and still make it all self-consistent, hence allowing his imagination to go wherever it wanted or needed to. This particular volume is a great showcase for this variety and it is enhanced by the various changes in art style accompanying the changes in mood, atmosphere, character and location.

Bring on Vol. IV!

review 2020-01-01 17:29
The Guild - Felicia Day The Guild - Felicia Day

Teeheehee! Here are the collected Guild comics to-date, including two previously unpublished stories. It was great to spend more time with these characters - strongly recommended to all fans of the show!

For those who don't know what The Guild is, a quick explanation: Felicia Day created a serial drama about some obsessive on-line video gamers with the help of friends and a shoe-string budget and put it on youtube. It was very funny and a big success, particularly in the gaming community. I recommend it to all; I've never played a MMORPG and I loved it. If you don't know what a MMOPRG is, well, I don't think that matters. It just matters that these characters are funny. Find it here:

First review of 2020 is four stars! Good start, at least!

review 2019-09-10 22:27
Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse, Joss whedon
Serenity: No Power in the 'verse - Joss ... Serenity: No Power in the 'verse - Joss Whedon

More Mal and co. is always good and I'm enjoying the switch from filling in gaps left by the early demise of Firefly to continuing the story beyond the Serenity film, however there's also a little gem of a self-contained story here that looks back on Zoe and Wash. Don't start here.