logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Hollows-Series
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-06-30 18:00
Review: American Demon(Return to the Hollows #1) by Kim Harrison
American Demon - Kim Harrison

Syno

A thrilling return to the #1 New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series, continuing Rachel Morgan’s story.

RACHEL MORGAN IS BACK–AND THE HOLLOWS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

What happens after you’ve saved the world? Well, if you’re Rachel Mariana Morgan, witch-born demon, you quickly discover that something might have gone just a little bit wrong. That the very same acts you and your friends took to forge new powers may have released something bound by the old. With a rash of zombies, some strange new murders, and an exceedingly mysterious new demon in town, it will take everything Rachel has to counter this new threat to the world–and it may demand the sacrifice of what she holds most dear.

My Thoughts

The hollows series always has a spot in my heart. It was the series that got my passion for reading back. That being said, I was super excited to go back to the hollows and see Rachel, Jenks, Trent, Al and hell even Ivy again.  I was curious to see how she would start it up again after the epilogue we got in The Witch With No Name, It was okay …. Even a bit of a cop out in my opinion, but I can overlook it.

The books start shortly where The Witch With No Name ended and it was so nice to see them all again. Though the first few chapters it felt like she made a point to mention everyone who was someone in the series. I still enjoyed it, for the most part, revisiting the people, places and see how and what everyone is doing. Mostly the demons, what are they up to now topside and how are they handling it.

Some things were kind of funny,  soon though we get thrown into the plot and it still okay even if a bit strange and odd … even for the hollows.

So one of the main parts I was looking forward to was seeing Rachel and Trent, them working together, being together and all the couple things, I was a bit disappointed when once again Rachel STILL doubted her relationship with Trent and why he loved her and so on. There was a reason for it ( of sorts) but still we worked so many books to get them together and he more than showed that he is with her all the way, we should be over this by now. Whatever the reason.

In other ways it also felt like typical Rachel, taking one step forward and three back.

I soon became a bit bored with her and stuff. I started to skim the book except the parts with AL, Trent or Jenks.

Overall I thought it was okay, I LOVED that we got to go back to the hollows, Rachel ugh … Oh and the Elisabeth being a fan of Rachel was just weird even for me.

Something just felt of and I’m not even sure what but maybe I just outgrew the series. I don’t know or maybe we just need a new voice, I think this could have been from Trent’s POV .

It would have been the same great people, world and series, just a fresh voice to it that we already know and love.

Speaking of Trent I think he was the best and I just like him more and more and I think out of all of them him and Al both grew the most in the series,

I also loved AL of course, while he had some issues, he is still the same ole Ale we know and love.

Overall, I think it was okay, bit boring but like I said maybe I just outgrew the series or I just can’t handle Rachel’s self-manipulation anymore, she always has some issues and if not she creates them.

I rate 3★ I might continue the series at some point but I’m not sure yet when even if I miss the world and characters.

goodreads-badge-add-plus

Publication

Date:  1/4/2016
Format: e-book

My Rating: 5 Stars

Talented Lisa Unger delivers a riveting and intriguing (addictive) series, THE WHISPERING HOLLOWS surrounded by The Hollows.

A fictional upstate New York town with an agenda and its own personality. It does not like secrets, yet it seems to encourage paths to cross. The Hollows is a character. All chain linked by place and people. So many elements. Layers, shades, something unique for each character. If you are a fan of the series, you will understand. Eloise "listens" and she is the one to lead the way. This is her life,and her extraordinary journey.

If you have not read the three novellas, this is your chance to catch-up with all the characters in one book, with a preview of the highly anticipated upcoming INK AND BONE.

The Whispers is a novella told in three-parts, spanning 30 years in the life of Eloise Montgomery, who discovers her amazing gift in the wake of tragedy. Its tendrils reach back to FRAGILE, the novel in which Eloise first appeared, through CRAZY LOVE YOU (5 Stars) and ahead to INK AND BONE (June 7, 2016)

Even though I have read all the books in the series, was dying to get a glimpse at Lisa Unger’s upcoming thriller, Ink and Bone.

INK AND BONE preview: We hear from a young girl, (third grade), her love for her daddy, mom and older brother. She especially loves her Daddy; however, he seems to be often distracted by his phone. Dad was not supposed to be talking on his cell phone during their special outing on a hiking trail, while enjoying the nature and birds. A tragedy occurs, dad and brother are hurt, and she was taught to run. However, she was not fast enough. The men have caught her. All is turning black.

A delicious tantalizer--Finley Montgomery (Eloise’s granddaughter) will have her own story. She will move to The Hollows, and lands in the middle of a dangerous investigation involving a young girl who has been missing for ten months and the police have all but given up hope. 5 Stars

Whispers #1 THE WHISPERS Eloise Montgomery discovers her amazing gift in the wake of tragedy, an accident taking the lives of her husband and oldest daughter. She and her younger daughter try to move forward, as she learns to deal with this complex gift, using it to help save lost women and girls. 4.5 Stars

Whispers #2 THE BURNING GIRL Ten years after Eloise discovers psychic abilities, she is a full-fledged working psychic, with a partner and a business. She discovers some disturbing things: secrets about her genealogy that are, perhaps, best left in the past and not all her visitors want to be helped. 3.5 Stars

Whispers #3 THE THREE SISTERS At the end of The Burning Girl, Eloise discovers her granddaughter, Finley has powers. Presently, twenty-year old Finley comes to live with Eloise. (Much to Eloise’s daughter Amanda’s controlling displeasure). THE THREE SISTERS was my favorite of the three; a multi-layered story with gripping narrative, where all three elements fit together for an explosive finale of control, revenge, love, and forgiveness. 5 Stars

There is much drama and suspense in The Hollows in this fast-paced, action filled series. Get on board, where there is never a dull moment. Highly Recommend. Can't wait for June--Hope I can snag an ARC.

Love Florida Authors!

Fans of Linwood Barclay's Promise Falls series will enjoy The Hollows--both upstate New York fictional towns-- full of secrets, crimes, and intrigue. Maybe a book with both authors/towns-- fun, fun! Can you imagine?

Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/#!The-Whispering-Hollows/cmoa/569eba7a0cf2dd2c1664474f
show activity (+)
review 2014-09-12 20:52
The Witch With No Name (The Hollows #13) by Kim Harrison
Untitled - Kim Harrison

Synopsis:

Rachel Morgan's come a long way from the clutzy runner of Dead Witch Walking. She's faced vampires and werewolves, banshees, witches, and soul-eating demons. She's crossed worlds, channeled gods, and accepted her place as a day-walking demon. She's lost friends and lovers and family, and an old enemy has become something much more.

But power demands responsibility, and world-changers must always pay a price. That time is now.

To save Ivy's soul and the rest of the living vampires, to keep the demonic ever after and our own world from destruction, Rachel Morgan will risk everything.

My thoughts:

I always find it hard to review a last book in a series without spoiling it or reviewing the entire series. So I will make this fairly short without any spoilers.

First off, I must say this was an amazing book and a great ending to this great series. It had plenty of the action we used to but is nicely balanced with humor and romance. It was a pretty fast paced and had lots of things going on.

We had the Vampires who were trying to get Rachel to safe their souls, the elves after the vampires and the demons. And Rachel of course stuck in the middle of it all in her true Rachel fashion. But she was not alone and had Trent by her side pretty much throughout the book, which I loved. I loved the relationship and trust they have built and it’s hard to believe how much they disliked each other. Both have come such a long way and grown so much on their own but together they are almost unstoppable. Though Rachel still had her doubts about their relationship in this book.

We see a few other familiar faces returning for the final book, which was great. But I was super happy to see Al being in the book and how it all turned out. I wasn’t sure about him or his story after the last book.

Also Rachel’s relationship to Ivy and how much she would do for Ivy was great. Even though I was never really a big fan of Ivy or Nina I was satisfied for them at the end even to it was not the best scenario for them but everyone made it the best out of it.

The last chapter was just EPIC, it was bittersweet, seeing those characters for a last time but oh so great to see everyone who made it , get their HEA in a way.

Overall, this book was fantastic and I give it full 5 ★ and I hope whatever Kim Harrison pulls out of her hat next will be just as great.

It was a great ride through this series, farewell hallows you were great and will be missed.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Thank God Jonathan had been there? Never thought I’d think that.”

***

“ Well, this is about as comfortable as finding a naked fairy in your eldest son’s bedroom”

***

“ My God, the man might be a business tycoon, but his heart was that of a warlord elf”

***

“Cormel is still trying to figure out how you two escaped.” Trent leaned over the table, eyes dancing. “Her magic carpet, of course.” I’m not a rug,” Al said

***

“You were to be the beginning of us anew, with all the best parts and none if the bad”

Available NOW:

review 2012-12-02 00:00
Hollowmen (The Hollows Series)
Hollowmen - Amanda Hocking,Eileen Stevens I love this book almost as much as the first and was sad to see it end!The book begins 6 months after the first book ends. Remy has been used as a guinea pig in the quarantine undergoing horrific procedures which included numerous major surgeries without any form of anthestetic or pain medications. She has amazingly survived so far, but she won't be able to withstand much more.As luck would have it, Zombies have finally invaded the compound and everyone has evacuated. Remy barely makes it out as the medical team has left her for dead. But she does. When escaping the quarantine she meets up with the last group leaving: Boden, Daniels, Bishop, Nolita and Teddy. They decide to head back to the compound where Blue and Max previously fled to as they are in need of provisions and weapons. Remy has another motive as well. She needs to find Max and make sure he is safe.So once again the journey begins. Playing hide and seek with Zombies until they come to what was the compound only to find it deserted and burned to the ground. The town is destroyed. The Zombies have invaded and are swarming the place. They do however find Max, who has found a relatively safe shelter for the time being....and with him 6 year old Stella. Obviously the group can't stay here so they decide to move on and head to Canada, where it is colder and Zombies are hopefully fewer. So off they go. More Zombies, more death and lots of surprises along the way.In the end they do make it to Canada and find an abandoned vacation house than is unscathed and well stocked and this is where they ultimately decide to call home. It is not without dangers....there is still the occasional Zombie and stragler human who pop in but they have made a life out of what's left of this world.The author tied up the story in a very satisfying way, although I wish another book would be written in this series. I want more Remy. Did she ever have children? Did the children survive without medical care until adulthood? What is their life like in 20 years? Where will Serge fit in? I want to know!!