logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Jungle-Book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-29 09:59
Manga Classics: The Jungle Book
The Jungle Book: Manga Classics - Kipling,Crystal S. Chan

I've read most of the other Manga classics, and they were always nice, so even though I had only seen the Disney movie with the same name, I wanted to read this version of the Jungle book.

I had some problems at first to get into the short story collection, probably since I was unaware that the original stories were quite different from the movie, and did not seem to follow in a chronological order. One of the stories even takes place in icy seas so I didn't associate that with jungle either. But once I settled for this I was glad for it. The way some of the original prose was kept in the manga was great.

Also, most importantly, it made me curious towards The Jungle Book, even though I previously read some of Rudyard Kipling's work in a Little Black Classic and was slightly disappointed with it.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-07-13 17:36
Jungle Inferno by Desiree Holt
Jungle Inferno (The Phoenix Agency Book 1) - Desiree Holt

Mark and Faith have been friends since childhood, using their own special way of communicating—telepathy. But they refused to cross the boundaries of their friendship and Mark went off to protect the country...Then one day Faith receives his distress message...

DNF @ 20%

I simply couldn't go on. The premise with the wounded soldier held in captivity in the middle of the Peruvian jungle, only able to communicate with one person in the outside world, was interesting. Unfortunately, the execution was severely lacking.

Instead of following a linear narrative, the story kept jumping, alternating between the present (Mark being captive, sending SOS messages to Faith), flashbacks (their childhood and how they slowly fell in love), and fantasies. While the flashbacks worked in establishing the connection between the two main characters, the flashbacks were nothing but sex, sex, and more sex, contributing nothing to the story, but titillation...And yes, serving to slow the already slow pacing even more.

I didn't really connect with either of the protagonists, maybe because in the 20% of the book I read, there were three sex scenes without much character introduction or, God forbid, development. What also bothered me was the fact the heroine, a writer, was determined to find a SpecOps soldier all on her own (yeah, right), and the fact said SpecOps soldier was capable of transmitting all kinds of messages, but his own location.
I didn't really find the suspense that suspenseful, once more because the fantasies trampled all the intensity the suspense could've generated.
And finally, I didn't really like the voice and narrative style. It sounded rather juvenile and slightly amateurish, especially when it came to the heroine-centric scenes.

review 2017-06-08 22:28
Fantastic!!
Jungle Inferno (The Phoenix Agency Book 1) - Desiree Holt

Jungle Inferno is another amazing read from Desiree Holt. This is a fairly short read, perfect for those with limited time for reading. I love the characters. Faith and Mark's story has bits of paranormal, humor, drama and action. Plenty of sizzle packed into this book. I can't wait to read more from this talented writer! Jungle Inferno is book 1 of the Phoenix Agency Series but can be read as a standalone.
This is a complete book, not a cliffhanger.

review 2017-06-01 15:01
Katie's Quest (Call to the Jungle Book 1) - Lee Carver

Katie's Quest by Lee Carver
Starts out with Katie and she's just landed in the Amazon to help the doctors tending to the residents.
She's a nurse and is able to do a lot of work on a daily basis as she picks up on what's wrong with the patients. She's lost her loved one and vows never to date a pilot again.
The story also follows Matt who's a pilot and also helps relocate the team to other areas every several days.
Like this book because of the help others are lending to those in need, the detailed descriptions of the location.
We learn more about Matt's loved one and Katie's past loved one as they help the communities with medical help.
Katie learns about who the people pray to and more about their religion.
So much is taught about the area, the illnesses and what to watch out for. Love how they are able to stay just a few days in the same area as they travel to others who need their help.
Much praying is done along the way, sometimes it's everyday devotional scripture reading. Other days it's silent prayers to yourself.  Medical emergencies and being kidnapped was not in the plan.
Like how each trip is with different doctors and different locations but same theme: teach others how to take care of themselves, love fishing expedition.
Love how much of an impact they have to the river dwellers.  Excerpt from the next book is included.
I was given the book by the author via Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and this is my honest review

review 2017-04-19 13:11
Manga Classics: The Jungle Book!!!
The Jungle Book: Manga Classics - cr Crystal S. Chan,Rudyard Kipling,julien choy

First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

I read the original book two years ago and absolutely loved it, so when I saw on NetGalley that they turned it into a Manga Classic, I just had to have it. I love these Manga Classics, seriously, I read all of them and they are just such a fun and easy way to read those classics.

I love that the song parts were included in the manga, cause they were such a fun part in the actual book. Also once again, the story with the white seal was on the top of my favorite stories, even though I truly love all these stories.

The artwork was amazing as expected.

I can't recommend these Manga Classics highly enough.