logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Reason-is-You
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-07 05:21
A Reason to Believe (Audiobook)
A Reason To Believe - Jack LeFleur,Diana Copland

Still just as good as the first time I read it way back when I was first getting into M/M. I always worry that those "older" reads won't live up to my initial impressions of them, but this one does. It's even been long enough that even though I remembered the gist of mystery (the motive mostly) I didn't remember the whodunit, so it was fun to try to figure it out all over again.

Kiernan is fun and full of energy, and he's such a great balance to Matt, who is more even-tempered and still grieving the loss of his last boyfriend. It was a bit on the insta-love side, the story takes place in barely a week, but they go through enough and actually talk to each other about things instead of just lusting after each other (which they really don't do much of, actually). It makes their connection feel more real, instead of the shallow "he's so hot I MUST have him" nonsense you get in a lot of other romances.

Sheila and Aiden weren't as annoying as I remembered them being, even if they are a little too gushy over the guys finding love.

The narrator is pretty good. He did sound a little "the number you have called is not in service" at times, but when he was reading dialogue, he really got into all the characters and shined.

review 2017-10-24 07:51
A Reason To Stay (Heroes #1) by R.J. Scott
A Reason To Stay - R.J. Scott

In a slight change to R.J. Scott's writing style, A Reason to Stay is a mystery first and foremost, with romance coming in second. Now, don't get me wrong, there is romance here. Viktor and Aiden have known each other for years, and definitely have a history between them - with Viktor being the one who leaves every time. Aiden is the one who stays behind, nursing a broken heart, and determined that it won't happen again. However, when Viktor's nephew gets hurt, Viktor is pulled back home, to everyone he left behind, and becomes neck-deep in intrigue and mystery.

With characters and situations given from the Sanctuary series, you get an idea of what might happen, if Viktor stops being such an arse. Instead, he focuses on protecting his nephew, even if it means going against what everyone says, including others in his family. I have to say though, I'm not sure if kudos deserve to be given to Aiden or not! lol The first time Viktor left, put it down to youth. The second time, painful. I don't know if I would have given him a third time!!! However, Aiden did, and it becomes a gripping part of the story.

There were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. The story is fast-paced, with plenty of characters and situations to keep your attention. I loved the epilogue, that gives you a hint of what happened next. I'm hoping to catch up with these two in the next book in this series, although I'm not sure if they are all standalones. Definitely recommended by me.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa

Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

review 2017-09-26 17:07
Well I didn't see that coming...
A Reason To Believe - Diana Copland,Jack LeFleur

So yesterday I decided I wanted to listen to an audio book just for me and not for any other reason than I wanted to listen to it and this was what I picked and really all I can say is..."Damn, sometimes I make the best choices."

I've had this one on my radar for ages and I have to admit I've put it off for a while now mostly because the murder victim in this one is a young child and I admit it, not a fan. I have child of my own and yes, he's now an adult in his 30s but he was young once. Just like the child in this story so mostly my heartstrings weren't up to being tugged on that hard but for whatever reason I decided I was going to bite the bullet on this one and I was honestly surprised with how much I liked this.

I think a big reason that this worked for me and didn't bother me the way I had thought it would was because the actual murder didn't occur on page and we are only fed details in small amounts throughout the book and none of it ever felt excessively graphic...truthfully the part that was the biggest sucker punch for me was the name of the child's mother...you see her name was Karen...yeah, that one made me gasp a little but the woman had to have a name right?

I've always been a fan of msytery/thriller stories and this one was awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it but add in a solid romance and I was in story heaven. I really enjoyed the balance between mystery and romance in this story and loved how well it all worked.

Matthew Bennett is a detective and he doesn't believe in ghost until the spirit of the murdered little girl he's sent to investigate shows him where to find her body...well, needless to say Matt's not so sure that ghost don't exist and when is best friend drags him to meet renowned medium Kiernan Fitzpatrick, Matt's world is about to get turned inside out as the two men begin to discover their mutual attraction all while working together to find out who killed the child who's ghost is haunting their every step and why?

While Diana Copland isn't a new to me author and I've enjoyed her other books that I've read this one really tops the list for me and once again I got to enjoy a new audio book narrator whose name is Jack LeFleur. I was more than a little impressed with this narrator. I loved his voices they were distinct, emotionally expressive and I cannot tell a lie I loved Kiernan's voice it was perfect with just enough accent to make me think Irish but not leaving me wondering what he saying...yep, Kiernan's voice totally worked for me and overall I was definitely impressed with this narrator and will be keeping an eye out for more audiobooks with his name attached.

review 2017-04-11 20:37
Another re-read....eeeerrrmmmm...listen...
You Are the Reason - Renae Kaye

I originally read this book back in 2015 and for the most part my original review is still an accurate representation of my thoughts on this story.

'You're the Reason' original review

With the exception that listening to the audiobook really brought home to me the fact that this story also represents what happens when love is right. Throughout the story we see Davo struggle to continuously redefine himself in terms of his perceptions of the world and what he's believed and while many of his perceptions are misguided at best and in ironically homophobic at their worst, we are also shown a man who slowly realizes that the world as he's perceives it, is  a world that is at times ugly and hurtful to him and those he cares about. Little by little we this man begin to revise what he believes and come to the realization that as well as being wrong and hurtful to others including those he loves, his beliefs have in fact kept him from being the person that in his heart he wants to be and more importantly it's now keeping him from having the love and happiness that he wants. It's this very same love that motivates him to want to be a better person, to look at himself with at times an extremely critical eye.

Listening to the voice of David Gillies as he read this story was like being given a new perspective and I felt like I was seeing Davo's world more from his viewpoint giving me a stronger appreciation of the growth that his character made throughout the book.

"You Are the Reason' was my first book narrated by David Gillies and while I had one or two minor hitches with things overall I found his narration to be solid and likable and look forward to hearing future audiobooks by this narrator.

********************

An audiobook of "You Are The Reason"  was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-01-29 00:07
The Reason You're Alive by Matthew Quick
The Reason You're Alive - Matthew Quick The Reason You're Alive - Matthew Quick

A special thank you to Edelweiss and Harper for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

You may be familiar with Quick because of the success of The Silver Linings Playbook—isn't that such a great title?  I had not read anything of his and happily requested this book because The Silver Linings Playbook was such a fantastic movie, not just because of Bradley Cooper, but because of the story.

David Granger is a sixty-eight-year-old Vietnam vet that has crashed his BMW.  Upon further testing, it is revealed that he has a brain tumour that he attributes to his exposure to Agent Orange.  In the twilight from surgery, David repeats the name "Clayton Fire Bear" over and over.  Fire Bear a Native American soldier that Granger had the task of disciplining during the war, and his nemeses.  Granger stole something from him and decides that in order to make peace with his life, he must return it.  In search of closure, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery; this may save his sanity and help him deal with the loss of his beloved wife.

He is an incredibly multi-faceted character that is hanging on to his not so politically correct ideals in a changing world.  There is so much he doesn't understand, yet he ploughs forward, and stumbles his way through awkward social situations and modern American life with the help of his loved ones.  At times his behaviour is cringe-worthy, but under the surface is a kind, patriotic, honourable, and compassionate man.

I loved the book and by the end I absolutely adored David, even with his many flaws.  His outspokenness was so comedic yet strangely endearing.  Pick this up, you'll be so glad you did!