logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Scarecrow
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog
review 2020-06-28 19:51
The Scarecrow
The Scarecrow - Michael Connelly

The main reason why I am not giving this five stars is that it's a bit much that Jack keeps facing off against killers. It's okay that he's a reporter and that's it. Also the story gets a little lost at times I thought. It picks up when Jack meets Rachel again, but I wish that Connelly actually spent more time in going into Jack's life up until this book. We just get a really quick series of things dropped on us as readers. Jack is now divorced (to who?) is working for the paper (what happened to his book thing? We get that addressed eventually) what happened to his sister in law? What happened with his parents? There's a lot of things I still don't think got addressed int his one. I am glad I finished though since I plan to read the next book in this series soon.

"The Scarecrow" picks up 12 years after the events in the first book in the Jack McEvoy series. Jack is working for the Los Angeles Times and is number 99 on the list of journalists who are getting RIFed (I work for the government, we have a fear of that acronym). Jack is told to train his replacement (which ouch people) and decides on the last two weeks of the job to look into a case where a grandmother says her grandson did not murder a woman and leave her body in a trunk. Jack quickly runs down leads and realizes that it appears a serial killer is on the loose. He calls up ex-lover Rachel Walling who is still with the FBI. Rachel initially dismisses Jack, but soon enough realizes he may be telling the truth. The two of them go head to head with a serial killer who seems to know their every move.

So first off, I ended up liking Jack more in this one. The petulance of the character seems to be way down in this installment. He still tries to get indignant about things, but it didn't bug me as much as it did in the first book. We know that Jack has been keeping tabs on Rachel, and Rachel rightfully so has wanted nothing to do with him since the events in the first book. I liked the two of them together in this one and I definitely enjoyed it when Rachel explains about the whole "one bullet" theory. We get more characters in this one, but I have to say that I didn't really have interest in the "Scarecrow." Per usual we get some hints about the serial killer in this one, but nothing is ever definitely found in the end. I think I like Bosch novels more because at least with Harry, he's chasing down leads so you can see the full picture of the bad guy(s) that he is after.

The writing was good in this one, it's a bit different since Connelly rails at times about how the world of journalism has changed because of the internet. I wonder how Connelly would change up this book in the year of 2020 with so many newspapers and sites going under?

The flow was off a bit, since Connelly switches between Jack's POV and then the "Scarecrow.". Those sections were so short that you won't miss anything by skipping them. They started to read very repetitive after a while.

The ending leaves things on a new note with Jack and am interested to see how things work out in book #3. I do have to say that the book kind of loses steam at the last 10 percent. I just think Connelly wanted to throw in a twist without seeing if it worked and then we are left going wait did I miss something? This also I think is a bit shorter than his usual novels. I got to the 87 percent mark on my Kindle and that was it. The book just does sneak peeks and an interview with Connelly.

review 2019-03-17 08:22
The Scarecrow Trilogy
Area 7 - Matthew Reilly
Scarecrow - Matthew Reilly
Ice Station - Matthew Reilly

This is an attempt to review three novels in one go. As they are all similar/inter-connected, it seems pointless to tackle each individually.

Matthew Reilly is an oddity – An Australian writer who has cracked into the action/espionage market. The stories move at breakneck speed, from his ‘Wonders’ series to this batch of ‘Scarecrow’ tales.

We follow the fantastic journey of a US Marine, call sign Scarecrow. He is no ordinary Marine. Not once, but thrice, the fate of the world rests on his shoulders. It’s tough enough to be sparring with other nations intent on stopping him, but when he realises he has traitors within his team, it comes down to Scarecrow to do it solo.

I’m sure most of you remember the Choose Your Own Adventure books? For those too young (way to make me feel old!), you got to the end of each page, then had a choice of 2/3 options, and turned to the relevant page for your pick.

We are going to do the same here, feel free to mix and match!

Scenario:

A – If Trump’s heart stops beating, then airports in the US north will explode. Sorry, I know that’s teasing, what’s a few airports to get rid of the turnip?

B – A cartel of Earth’s richest men are intent on launching nuclear strikes against most of the world’s major cities. Just to make more money.

C – Nations are slaughtering each other to access a UFO stuck under the ice. Scarecrow is fighting SEALS, and is saved by seals.

The Bad Guys:

A – The Chinese, the Russians, and parts of the US government. Britain. And the French.

B – Most of his command structure, some of his Marines, and the President’s Men. Britain. And the French.

C – 12 of the world’s richest men employ a bunch of psychotic bounty hunters. And the French. (The Brits helped him this time.)

Seriously, he was asked after the last novel what he had against the French. He saw them as perfectly placed to play the modern villain in the absence of Germany/Russia/Japan etc.

Destruction:

A – Pretty much everything, including an iceberg, a submarine and a UFO.

B –  Nearly everything, including fighter planes, half his team, Russian bases and a French Castle.

C – Everything, and then more. Seriously, I tried keeping a rough ‘insurance’ count in one of these, and my eyes starting rolling when we hit multiple trillions…

No Way!:

A – Climbs up from the launch vehicle to a space shuttle, just before separation. Overpowers crew, flies back to land. All in the space of 15min.

B – Spends up to 7 hours (out of 24) in freezing Antarctic waters. No wonder he is knackered for the final fight.

C – By my count, he loses his trusted sidekick Mother (a brute of a lady) 8 times over the 3 novels. Yet she is there hosting another BBQ at the end of the 3rd novel, making Houdini look like a novice.

I think you get the idea…

To be honest, you can grab 2 from each category and still fall short of just one novel. When the climax of each draws near, the trials and tribulations Scarecrow has faced flash though his exhausted mind. Then you are reminded he has essentially fought off up to 3 national forces and saved the world in 24 hours – again.

I generally don’t read Fantasy. This ebbs awfully close to that shore, but then, what espionage novel doesn’t flirt with that line. If you can suspend reality, then Reilly does a good job of telling a fast paced tale, loaded with action. Judging from the progression, I might need a seatbelt for the next world crisis.

** Reilly has also written Hover Car Racer. Originally written as an internet serial, and aimed at YA, this was great! OK, I’m an F1 fan (can’t stand most other motor sport), but this one held me cover to cover. Shows the versatility of Reilly – he has appeal with different audiences, and knows how to pace a story. One could say he chooses the ‘speed’ of his writing…

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-04-30 13:37
Jack and Rachel team-up again to catch killer
The Scarecrow - Michael Connelly

Jack was being downsided.

He got a pink slip. A 12 days notice before clearing his desk.  He also needed to train his replacement Angela Cook, a very green journalist.

A woman was found in car trunk, dead and naked. Jack reported it and was harassed by a caller who claimed the guy was innocent.

Fingerprint found in the car pointed to a person who admitted that he has stolen the car, but didn't kill the woman.

When he got into the investigation, he got his credit card cancelled, his bank account cleared out. And his email to his editor and Angela got lost.

He didn't know why so he called the person he trust, Rachel Welling, the FBI that he worked before in catching the Poet.

Rachel was not that enthusiastic at first, but after he told her what bad luck he had in the last 24 hours, Rachel knew he was being isolated and someone is seriously wrong.

So she used an excuse for an interview at Ely to fly over to Jack to find out more.

With his luck, he did run into the killer. The killer was just about the take action, before he was being deterred by Rachel.

Quickly, they put together the clue that lead to another case. Another case in common with the current one. Another car trunk murder.

In both cases, an alternative suspect was offered up and no one has made the linkage until now.

Jack made a discovery on how his email being hacked and bank account manipulated.

Angela was the one who has done the initial search for trunk murder and she has fallen into a IP trap. This trap has alerted the killer of their discovery.

Tracking this site that trap Angela and Jack. Rachel is able to track back to a data center.

It is a very clever setup.

They are seeking help from the data center. When they found another clue that lead to think it might be someone who linked to these murders might be working in the Data Center.

At the first half of the book, the killer was having the upper hand and doing the killing and chasing.

In the middle, when more discovery happened, the killer was set on the run and made desperate move.

The killer is clever. And there might be more than one.

The cat and mouse game is really good. The development between Jack and Rachel is good too.

It run really smoothly, and it is a really good read. Unputdownable read.

That's why I gave it 5 stars.

review 2018-04-21 15:18
The Scarecrow Queen - Melinda Salisbury

“In every fairy tale there is a kernel of truth, and that is the truth of this one. For him, I am poison. I am his death. And I will deliver.”

review 2016-10-11 12:25
What are you afraid of? – Fear of the Scarecrow by Anthony Renfro @atothewr
Fear of the Scarecrow - Anthony Renfro

Anthony Renfro writes some fantastic horror short stories and Fear of the Scarecrow is up there at the top.

Check out this awesome cover. Looks harmless, doesn’t it?

BUT…

31675227

I love the cover and as I began reading…OMG…this is so fabulous. Not what I expected. I am horrified and delighted and I don’t believe I will ever look at scarecrows and pumpkins in the same light ever again.

Fear of the Scarecrow was inspired by his Haiku: Fear of the Scarecrow:

In a field you hang

Upon this wood post you wait

for the night’s darkness

And it does arrive in a big way!

I picked this up as an Amazon freebie.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

GOODREADS BLURBThis short story is about a desperate man hungry for revenge seeking justice. Sometimes justice comes with a price.

Anthony Renfro

ABOUT ANTHONY RENFRO

Anthony lives in Apex, North Carolina. He is a reader, writer, runner, husband, father, and stay at home dad – one of the toughest jobs anyone could ever do. His influence for writing horror is Stephen King.

Website  /  Twitter

• You may see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Thanks for visiting!

Check out some of my reviews for Anthony Renfro’s work.

Source: www.fundinmental.com/what-are-you-afraid-of-fear-of-the-scarecrow-by-anthony-renfro-atothewr