logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: UAB-Lists
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-02 14:16
Only For Slackers: "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" by Peter Boxall
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - Peter Boxall

(Original Review, 2010-04-18)

I found this list rather heavy on very recent fiction. There is also no way of knowing whether books published a few years ago will withstand the test of time, and I suspect many won´t. This is a reason why, apart from a handful of favourites, I tend to restrict my (sadly limited) reading to more established authors. 4 times out of 5, when I believe the "hype", I end up disappointed.

If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

review 2018-10-29 05:50
The Best Free Company Email Address Provider – Dossierc

Free Email Addresses Provider – Collecting accurate details of the prospects makes the overall marketing activity difficult and time taking. Hence, to alleviate such business worries for the businesses and our clients, we introduced the www.dossierc.com, which provides the best way to generate the required details of companies directly from our dashboard that to free of cost.

Here we will let you know some more features that will help you a lot in the business propagation.

How’s Dossierc different?

The website takes you directly to the contact details of the target customers. You don’t have to connect with any data partners to get it. Hence, it helps in making the marketing activities faster and result-oriented. We understand the needs of the marketers and this is what made us create a straightforward way to generate the required business email lists. So, you just need to select the right business and download your selection, which is completely free.

Earlier marketers had to implement extensive market research and allocate certain resources just to compile the targeted customers’ data. We make it much simpler for them by providing it entirely free. You can find the free business lists from different technologies, industries, countries, etc. and also customize it based on your need.

Addition of quality customers’ data, list building, and verification is an ongoing process in our business. Hence, you will always get accurate details of the target customers.

Now, we have also added some new features. Just take a look at it:

Email Grabber

If you want to generate the email addresses from a particular website that you saw while browsing, you can now do it by using the email grabber extension. Since our data are fully transparent, you just need to log in to get quality data.

Email Appender

Do you already have a business list that has incomplete customers’ data? Are you facing problems due to incorrect data? Use our Email Appender to get accurate details of the customers to plan and execute an effective marketing campaign.

Email Verifier

Are you sure that the email lists that you are utilizing offer high deliverability? If not, then using our extension to verify the deliverability of the marketing contents will drive your business towards success.

So, plan better marketing activities and utilize the advantage of our new features. We will make your targeted marketing activities highly-rewarding. Visit our website www.dossierc.com to know more about the new features.

Source: www.dossierc.com
show activity (+)
review 2018-07-08 08:52
A Book of Book Lists
A Book of Book Lists: A Bibliophile's Compendium - Alex Johnson

This was a lot of fun.  Johnson has compiled book lists, but not the usual "you must read" sort.  These are lists like Darwin's TBR, Oscar Wilde's bookshelf at Reading Gaol, the books on Scott's Discovery bookshelves (he had them in every room of the ship), books seen to be on Sheldon and Leonard's living room bookshelves in Big Bang Theory.  Fun stuff like that.

Some of the titles listed are no longer to be found (Henry III's books, for example; probably hard to find if not impossible, and expensive to boot), some of them don't exist (books never written list - how did The Giant Rat of Sumatra not make this list?), some have yet to be written (the future library), and some of them are all to readily available and might be the death of any reader's TBR.  Personally, I was doing pretty well until the very end, where he includes a list of books about books.  My kryptonite!  Aaahhhh...

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-05-12 12:11
40+ Zombie-Licious Books that I’ve Had the Pleasure of Reading

This B&N post got me thinking about all the zombie books that I have read. Some I have reviewed while others I’ve barely gotten through.
Since it is possible to have zombies in a book without basing the whole novel around the undead horde, I am also including that detail along with others, as well as, what I thought of the books on this list. Use the following key to decode the zombie-liciousness in the books:

hotZombies barely there. Not a representative of the zombie fiction genre. coolZombies were present but not the focus of the story. coldZombies ruled the book. Read the book only if hordes of undead munching on alive ones don’t bother you.

1. Name of the Book:

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

hot

The zombies weren’t special in any way. So, I’d give it a pass, if I were looking for something zombie-ish. Check out my review for more details.

2. Name of the Book:

Prince of Thorns

cold

While the zombies come and go, a distant threat of an Undead King amassing his undead army remains in the background. The identity of the Undead King is revealed in the third — and last book — of the series. My opinion is to give this one a try; even, if the zombies aren’t unique, the protagonist will hold your interest.

3. Name of the Book:

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

Part of a Series:

No, but it comes with a companion book.

cold

This is the book to read, if you like a little science in your zombie fiction. The author uses a fungal agent as the cause of zombieism. The fungus, ophiocordyceps unilateralis, is real. It infects and zombifies certain ants.

6078594848_e4bda325c5_b

It even has favorites among the same types of ants!

Not only did I love the sciency bits, I remember starting that book cold. I hadn’t read any reviews and as a result, the moment when I realized who the little girl could be was delicious! Read this book, if you don’t read any other zombie fiction!

4. Name of the Book:

The Harvesting by Melanie Karsak

cool

Okay, so I’m rating it green because while it has zombies, they are only present in the first half of the book. Almost like a plot device that was needed to take the main characters to the next important bit of the story. Read my review for more details.

5. Name of the Book:

London: Surviving the evacuation by Frank Tayell

cold

This is the diary of a zombie apocalypse survivor. I liked it even if the origin was a tad well… unoriginal ! For more details, read my review.

6. Name of the Book:

Sweet Blood of Mine by John Corwin

cool

Okay, if I remember correctly, this book had zombies at the very end, which is why I gave it a cool rating, instead of cold. The book wasn’t based on zombies either and is a better than average YA book, if you were wondering. My review for more details.

7. Name of the Book:

Evenstar by Darcy Town

hot

Oh man, everybody who loves silliness in their lives and books needs to read this book. Other than that, not much to write home about zombie-wise. Check out my review anyway!

8. Name of the Book:

Prophecies Awakening byPeter Koevari

cool

I don’t remember the book being about zombies. They might have been in it but they certainly weren’t the highlight. My review will tell you about the other details if you’re interested in reading it.

1191124712032915

9. 10. Name of the Book:

The Guardian’s Kiss & The Guardian’s Soul by Jamie Lynn Dougherty

hot

Proper zombie book, as was the first one in this series. Aside from the other issues that it has, which you will find highlighted in my reviews, here and here. the book does have something unique when it comes to zombies/eaters!

11. Name of the Book:

The Seven Habits of Highly Infective People by William Todd Rose

cold

What I do remember about this book is something about eating a baby. That’s it! So, I gather it didn’t make much of an impression on me. Feel free to skip it.

12. Name of the Book:

The White Tree by Edward W. Robertson

cool

While I enjoyed reading this book, the zombie parts weren’t the highlight of the story. It did make a good read though.

13. Name of the Book:

The Variant Effect: GreenMourning by G. Wells Taylor

cold

The public is kept ignorant while a viral infection is turning people into zombies. It would be an okayish novella but the violence and bloodiness made it better than okay.

14. Name of the Book:

Dust by Joan Frances Turner

cold

This book doesn’t shy away from violence and you will be able to visualize the undead munching on people as you read it. It is also a new take on zombies that form gangs, communicate with each other telepathically, can die again, and be infected. Don’t let the inconsistencies in the story keep you from reading right up to the end; it will be worth it!

14-114

14. Name of the Book:

In Wilder Lands & Into The Desert Wilds by Jim Galford

cool

An indie that surprised me pleasantly enough that I continued with the second installment in the series. While it is a good book to read if you like anthropomorphic characters, it isn’t exactly focused on the undead. Family and love are the themes that you will find highlighted in this one.

17. Name of the Book:

Nether Regions by Jadette Paige

cold

A novella rich with mythology contains zombies, revolves around a same sex couple who happen to be Amazons. Need I say more? Didn’t think so!

18. 19. 20. Name of the Book:

Zombie Jamboree, The Minion Chronicles: Paul and Brady Get Hoodoo with the Voodoo, and Biting the Bullet by Jennifer Rardin

cool

I don’t remember much about these, which means they mustn’t have made a lasting impression. Skip them, if you like or read the last one for the Reavers — they are SCARY!

21. Name of the Book:

The Mammoth Book of Steampunk by various authors

hot

The only story that I remember being about zombies in this collection was Reluctance by Cherie Priest. Lets just say that I was surprised to discover I could dislike a story that had both dirigibles and zombies in it!

22. Name of the Book:

Outbreak by Mark Clodi

cold

An unusual take on zombies. I mean it was full of all kinds of errors from lack of editing and yet the concept made me read and like it. Try it! Please?

23. Name of the Book:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol.2. by various authors

Story: Halloween Rains

cold

In my review, I describe the story as Jeepers Creepers meets Zombie Apocalypse. I found the story okay.

24. Name of the Book:

Magic Gifts by Ilona Andrews

cold

Technically, the undead in this novella are vampires, however, they act more like zombies, which is why I am including this book on the list. If you would like to read about a creature that is a zombie-vamp hybrid, then you should try this series. If not the zombies, then read it for well-written female characters.

25. Name of the Book:

Dead Man Walking by Marty Shaw

cold

Imagine being trapped in a prison with prisoners rapidly turning into zombies! If you want more reasons to read this book, then my review says it all.

26. Name of the Book:

Mind Over Monsters by Jennifer Harlow

cold

So, a team of “freaks” is formed to look into paranormal cases. This book is about a necromancer raising run-of-the-mill zombies and a race against time to catch him. The book has the usual issues that I associate with YA novels. If you can get past those, then you might end liking the book.

27.jpg

27. Name of the Book:

Zombie Killa by Jason Z Christie

cold

Okay, so you will either love this book or hate it. My review will tell you I loved it and all the reasons why. Expect craziness but don’t expect the zombies to be unique in any way.

28. Name of the Book:

Anything Can Be Dangerous by Matt Hults

cold

This one is icky and good. The book is actually a collection of several horror stories and 2 book previews.  The one that has zombies in it is called The Finger, where a man ends up biting more than he can chew! I mention the other stories in my review, as well.

29. Name of the Book:

The Zombie Story by M. M. Shelley

cold

This is a good place to start for most younger fans just sinking their teeth into zombie fiction. I found the whole zombie evolution idea intriguing.

7940988

30. Name of the Book:

Zombie Nights by Tom Lichtenberg

cold

I loved this one. Not only did it have a zombie as the main character, it also managed to be hilarious. Check out my review for more details.

7172680

31. Name of the Book:

Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side by Marty Shaw

Story: Limbo by Steve Brewer

7130616

32. Name of the Book:

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

cold

This one has an evil necromancer doing all sorts of illegal experiments and raising a ruckus, as well as, the dead. I like this series for its weirdness.

8908

33. Name of the Book:

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

cold

This book is all kinds of good. I love the scope of the book since it gives you a global perspective of a zombie apocalypse. It also follows the progression of the zombie infection as it spread universally. Moreover, it sketches a situation that has its roots based on reality, when talking about the aftermath of the infection.

24376571

34. Name of the Book:

36 Hours by Anthony Barnhart

cold

Looking for a typical zombie apocalypse? This book will do!

148213

35. Name of the Book:

Nightingale’s Lament by Simon R. Green

cool

The main character has a side-kick in this book who happens to be a zombie. I like this series because of its darkness even though it is a little too similar to another series *cough* Harry Dresden *cough*.

6616579

36. Name of the Book:

Bauchelain and Korbal Broach by Steven Erikson

cold

This book is actually an introduction to a deadly duo. They are necromancers who have no shame and no morals. Even though you might miss some of the references, if you haven’t read the other books in the series, I’d recommend you to go ahead and read it anyway. The zombies are fun to read about and the necromancers are bastards. What more could you want from a book? For details, here’s where you’ll find my review.

345299

37. Name of the Book:

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

cool

So, this book contains an undead trio who are important to the story’s plot. I am still rating it green because they aren’t the center of the story. Nevertheless, Erikson does undead the way he does all other characters, including different races, genders, etc, completely and beautifully!

12087573

38. Name of the Book:

Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

cold

Zombies and high school is a volatile combination. This book held my interest despite it being a YA, which isn’t really my cuppa. Read my review for more details.

478659

39. Name of the Book:

Undead and Unpopular by MaryJanice Davidson

hot

There is a zombie in this book. That is all I can say about it!

3570231

40. Name of the Book:

At Grave’s End by Jeaniene Frost

cold

The book’s plot revolves around a voodoo queen who has a lot of juice and can raise your hair, as well as, the zombies! From a zombie-lover’s perspective: I’d say, give it a try!

6350486

41. Name of the Book:

Walking Dead by C. E. Murphy

cold

This one is a fun-filled romp where the shaman heroine tries to deal with a major zombie uprising.

3488375

42. Name of the Book:

Wait Till Your Vampire Gets Home by Michele Bardsley

cool

Even though the zombies are a major part of the book, the plot isn’t based on them. They are attacking a town and the townspeople do their best to fight back.

8718281

43. Name of the Book:

Dreadfully Ever After by Steve Hockensmith

cold

If you can get over the sacrilege that is taking the characters from a beloved classic and reinserting them into a zombie filled narrative, then this book is for you. Darcy gets bitten in this book and his necrotic conversion is written well. Lizzie has to go search for a possible cure to stop her husband from becoming a shambler.

Okay, so this post was going to be about 50+ books and there are 57 books on my Zombie bookshelf on GR. However, I seem to have forgotten what went on in some of them. Any comments that can jog my memory down the undead lane would be most welcome!

review 2016-08-10 16:00
Clade - James Bradley

Clade

James Bradbury

Published January 28th 2015 by Hamish Hamilton

Sample quote

“It is quiet out here today, the only sounds that disturb the silence those of the wind, the occasional squalling cry of the birds. Down by the water an elephant seal lies on the rocks, its vast bulk mottled and   sluglike; around it tracks of human activity scar the snow like rust, turning it grey and red and dirty.”  Loc 34- 35

Well, at long last, I am back to my award list reading/reviewing.  Clade was on the Locus Recommended Reading list.  But, unfortunately, it didn’t reach the final ballot.   I disagree with this omission.  I really liked this novel. In fact, I predict that it will be one of my books of 2016.  The work is a written evocation of a well-drawn, depressingly, beautiful world, peopled by great characters.    This work, which I am going to call a work of mosaic fiction, is formed of several, interrelated, independent, and interdependent pieces. Each section of the novel follows a different character/s (either; Ellie, Adam, Summer or Noah) tracing the various strata of their shared history.

This work deals with environmental decay, and destruction.  It is an attempt to understand, change and stop that destruction.  It starts with a young Adam surveying the ice fields and noticing the damage that humanity is doing to this setting.  In later sections of the novel, we follow; Adam, Summer, and Noah, racing to escape a storm, in an attempt to escape from the effects of global warming.   In addition, this work focuses on the collapse of bee colonies throughout the globe.  You could say that the destruction of the bee hives foretells the destruction of the human colony.

So, this book looks head on at the damage that we are inflicting on the environment.  But, it is more than; a call to arms, a diatribe, a polemical piece of writing, or depressing mournful cry for humanity.  In fact, it is all of those things and more.  We see that human lives continue, despite the harshness of the times.    The characters aren’t simply signifiers in a political argument.  They are more than place holders, puppets in the authors argumentative polemic.  They are themselves, concerned with their own messy lives.  The characters do live in an Anthropocene world and have to cope with the effects of environmental damage. But, that doesn’t stop them from living.  These characters still; go through the problems of childhood and adolescence, get jobs, get married, have children, quarrel, get divorced and age.   In other words, these characters live full and messy lives.

Bradley shows the characters interacting with the world and its inhabitants.  Amir is one of the interesting individuals that we meet along the way.  Ellie meets him when she is exploring the possibility of creating an art instillation around his bees. We learn that Amir is an ‘illegal immigrant’.  Through him we see the horrors, and inhumanity, of the immigration system, both; in our world, and the world presented in the book.

As you may be aware, I am disabled.  Therefore, I am always interested when a book includes characters with disabilities.   Noah has Autism.   It is interesting to see how Noah, and his need for uniformity and stability, reacts to an ever changing world.  It is great that, while Bradbury doesn’t shrink from the pain that Autism inflicts on Noah and his family, he doesn’t portray Noah as a victim of this pain.  He gives Noah a narrative arc and a future, even in a world where the cards seems stacked against him.

This is a brilliant evocation of a world in decline.  But, it is, also, a world which is full of life, life which is struggling to survive.    It is a beautifully drawn picture of a decaying hopeless, and hopeful, world.  I highly recommend this work

Source: vikzwrites.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/review-james-bradley-clade