We are heading to our first holiday party of the year (base libraries hold a joint party for staff and volunteers) tonight. Our white elephant/dirty Santa gift is the two books I bought from a local author and had signed by the author plus a cross stitched bookmark from a charity shop in town. I love playing WE/DS because you never know what you will walk away with (last year's gift was a color me calendar that the kids colored in completely on day one of their winter break from school).
I read American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang today, my first book of December. It's for a square later in the game; highly recommend to middle grade and younger young adults.
On tap for this weekend, my reading will be lots of shorts - my mind can take only so much and I want to keep my reading to relaxing levels.
1. Saga Volumes 1-4 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples - volume 4 is for another square in the game, but I want to refresh my memory so I will just start with volume 1. That will kill an afternoon.
2. Let Us Dream by Alyssa Cole - originally published in last year's Daughters of the Revolution anthology, I picked this up when it was published as an individual novella and on sale. Romance between a suffragette (and business woman) and her new chef. It's from Alyssa Cole, so expectations are high. Reading this for a game square.
3. Unleashed (Love to the Rescue #1) by Rachel Lacey - contemporary romance with a dog rescue foster mom (and almost completely in remission cancer survivor) and a PI. Not knocking my socks off, not annoying me to the point of DNF, so I am just plodding along for now. Reading for a game square.
4. Burning Bright: Four Chanukah Stories by Various Authors - a non-Christmas holiday romance!!! Also for a game square.
5. Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace #3) by Vanessa North - I spun the dreidel and landed on this book. F/F contemporary romance. Reading as a result of the game.
Happy reading weekend everyone!