logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Vegetarian
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-11-01 15:24
Meaty Issues in The Vegetarian
The Vegetarian: A Novel - Han Kang

Han Kang, a South Korean writer won the Man Booker prize in 2016 for this book.

This slim, minimalistic-style narrative is about a South Korean woman who, after a nightmare, decides she will not eat meat. This sparks a wave of dramatic reactions from her husband, sister and brother-in-law.  This book is divided into three parts that tells the story from the viewpoint of three characters.  Thematically loaded, this book makes for a great book discussion read, drawing in topics like food, society, and metaphors about North and South Korea.

What I loved: Kang's writing style is hypnotic.

What I didn't love: The plot was not what I expected. I felt that it left me hanging.

Reviews described this as a horror story, and I thought it meant literally, which is probably why I was a bit disappointed -- plot wise.  I think it is more of a psychological read.

Quote: “She is a good woman, he thought. The kind of woman whose goodness is oppressive.”
― Han Kang, The Vegetarian

review 2018-03-28 17:21
THE VEGETARIAN by Han Kang
The Vegetarian: A Novel - Han Kang

I'm not sure what I feel about this book.  It is three points of view about Yeong-hye (husband, brother-in-law, and sister.)  I liked it but I have questions which will probably be answered or discussed in my book club.  The first part I wanted to smack the husband upside the head because of how he dealt with Yeong-hye.  I found the second part sensual and erotic.  The third part as the sister tells her tale made me wonder why they didn't just let her go.  This is not a book that easily can be forgotten.

review 2017-11-06 17:44
Review: But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan! by Kristy Turner
But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan!: 125 Recipes to Win Everyone OverPicky kids will try it, hungry adults won't miss meat, and holiday traditions can live on! - Kristy Turner

Published by: The Experiment (13th January 2017)

ISBN: 978-1615193424

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Description:

In But I Could Never Go Vegan!, Kristy Turner proved that anyone can do it - with recipes that overturn common excuses, from "Vegan cooking is too hard" to "I could never give up cheese!" But cooking vegan for the whole family presents its own challenges ...or does it? Now, the 125 recipes in But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan! will leave even the most skeptical relatives begging for more. Like its predecessor, each chapter tackles a different objection: Don't have time to cook elaborate dinners? Try an easy weeknight solution: Quick Cauliflower Curry. Worried about satisfying the "meat and potatoes" eaters? Try Lazy Vegan Chile Relleno Casserole. Cooking for picky eaters? Try the ever-adaptable BLT Spring Rolls with Avocado. Turner's cheeky, inviting tone and satisfying, easy-to-follow recipes make it more possible than ever for families to dine happily together!

Review:

This book is perfect for the newly vegan. The chapter headings are humerous and engaging, and the dishes are delicious and filling, enough to turn even the most carnivorous member of the family! There are meals to suit every time of day, from breakfast to supper, and everything in between, from light bites to full on meals, all your favourites veganised.

I received an advanced egalley from The Experiment via Netgalley.

review 2017-11-06 17:06
Review: Sheet Pan Suppers Meatless by Raquel Pelzel
Sheet Pan Suppers Meatless: 100 Surprising Vegetarian Meals Straight from the Oven - Raquel Pelzel

Published by: Workman Publishing (13th October 2017)

ISBN: 978-0761189930

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 3*

Description:

Sheet Pan Suppers is back! This time, with 100 vegetarian recipes for satisfying, sumptuous full meals-all made on a sheet pan, and all meat-free. It's the one-pot meal reinvented with a healthy twist, and what is sure to become every busy cook's new favourite way of getting dinner on the table. There are recipes for complete meals, snacks, brunch, and even dessert, that require nothing more than a sheet pan, your oven, and Raquel Pelzel's inspired take on satisfying, delectable, vegetarian cooking. Recipes include Orzo with Pan-Roasted Tomatoes, Lemon, and Mozzarella; Loaded Chilaquiles with Baked Eggs; Super Creamy No-Boil Mac and Cheese; and more.

Review:

I was really interested to try some of the recipes in here as it seemed so easy to just pop the ingredients on a baking tray and stick them in the oven. Was it really that simple? Erm...no not really! Some of the recipes required you to put foil (which I don't like using) between the tray and your ingredients, which made me just want to abandon the whole tray idea and just use a pan on the hob. Then when it came to stir part-way through the cooking time, the ingredients were stuck to the foil, so it ripped. Using spray oil instead of foil would have been a whole lot easier! For some, using your own initiative when it comes to preparation makes it easier.

A lot of these recipes are great, for example the orzo with tomatoes and carrots with garam masala, but a lot rely heavily on dairy and eggs, so would not be suitable for anyone following a vegan diet or with high cholesterol. There is plenty of variety here for most , and many easily adaptable with a bit of thought.

I received an advanced egalled from Workman Publishing via Netgalley.

review 2017-09-07 19:03
Amazing Book on Macrobiotics!
The Complete Macrobiotic Diet - Denny Waxman

I started reading Denny Waxman's book because I am interested in health and natural healing. I started by looking at his website when i was searching for a macrobiotic counselor. Then, I learned about his non-profit macrobiotics school the Strengthening Health Institute. Once I got there, i found the best macrobiotic book ever in the Complete Macrobiotic Diet book.

The book itself was the easiest macrobiotic book that I have read and has so many ways to improve your health through easy to implement tips. He is all about adding instead of subtracting things to your diet and routine... such a great way to think about things!