logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Victorian-London
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-22 12:58
The Irresistible Liar
An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities) - KJ Charles

Now that's more like it!

I admit the first book from the series An Unseen Attraction was not my favorite of K.J Charles' .
But I loved that one.

Nathaniel had me interested in him from the very first time he appeared. And Justin- he's the type of character that I know if I met in real life, I 'd fall head over hills for him.

I loved the angst, their dialogues, their arguing and love making/ although I am not sure love- making is strong enough to describe their super hot and angry sex/ .
I liked how despite how totally different their values were, they found their way towards each other, and at the same time stayed true to what they are.

I am already looking forward to the last book of the series and I really need to know more about my other favorite character of the series.

review 2018-01-19 16:47
Didn't get the word play of the title until I was writing out my notes
The Importance of Being Earnest: A Trivial Comedy for Serious People - Oscar Wilde

After what feels like a millennium, I have read The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde and I totally get the hype now. Oscar Wilde's play focuses on two men who independently of the other have invented alternate personas that allow them to cut loose without (hopefully) any repercussions. One of the men has created Ernest who is by all rights a scoundrel and his creator has finally decided to do away with him so that he can settle down and get married. The problem is that his friend (the other deceitful man) has decided to take on the mantle of Ernest so that he can win the heart of a girl that he's just met. (I recommend reading this in one sitting because otherwise you're liable to get confused.) Wilde uses word play and absolutely ridiculous circumstances to discuss the folly of youth and poke fun at the whims and fancies of people who believe they are really truly in love even if they don't truly know the other person. For instance, the two women of the play are determined that they will only marry someone named Ernest but as it turns out no one is named Ernest there is a bit of a kerfuffle. After all is said and done, no one comes out on top and everyone is depicted as foolish and unimpressive. It was thoroughly amusing and I guess now I'll have to see the movie that was based on it. :-P If you haven't read it yourself and you'd like a quick, fun read this will do just the trick. 9/10

And yes the title of this post is true. I was staring at the book's title and then it hit me: "Oh because it's about two men proclaiming to be Ernest and they do it will all earnestness."  *facepalm*

What's Up Next: The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson

What I'm Currently Reading: The Portable Nineteenth-Century African American Women Writers

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2017-02-08 14:25
Dirty Old London: The Victorian Fight Against Filth - Lee Jackson

If you are fastidious, don't like filth or stench, then you would have not wanted to live in Victorian times as there was plenty of both and even if you were wealthy it was no protection as there was no avoiding either! This is a really well researched book, filled with everything you could possibly want to know about this subject. There was a lot of fascinating information about grime, soot, toilets, housing, washing clothes and bodies etc, but there was also a lot about this or that committee, so and so said/did this, somebody else did that which wasn't nearly so interesting and I ended up skim reading these sections. The photos don't work too well on a kindle which is a shame. It is still worth reading this title to get a great insight as to how our forebears lived.

review 2015-02-26 19:01
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London - Judith Flanders

I love the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes. He is Sherlock. The one flaw in the wonderful series is that the London is too clean. Apparently really too clean. So is the London in Ripper Street.

I have never been so thankful for modern plumbing before.  Or the fact that I can go into a coffee shop.   Or for my stove. I am really thankful for my stove.

No, I’m not a complete idiot but realize something and then actually realizing what living that way entails are completely different. Flanders showcases how people ate, what they ate, and how and where they worked. In some ways you will appreciate Dickens more and in other cases it will shield light on the truth behind the details.

review 2015-02-09 17:54
The Victorian City
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London - Judith Flanders

Judith Flanders wrote Inside the Victorian Home, which pondered what exactly went on in each room of a Victorian house (leaving the question of why Jane Carlyle had 10 dining chairs in her bedroom unanswered, alas); this book is the companion, looking at the Victorian street, where so much of public life went on.

I can't recommend this one more.  It is a fascinating read.

For a great many people of Victorian London lived most of their lives out on the streets.  (For many people could not afford a house, but only a room, or part of one.  Or none at all.)  They walked (most of them many miles a day), ate (many inadequately), worked (for insane hours, up to 20 hours a day), and entertained themselves there, too.

Covers all sorts of territory, from one of the most ostentatious non-royal funerals ever (that of the Duke of Wellington, in 1852), to a discussion of what exactly was a prostitute, how did men recognize them when they saw them, and how many whores there were in London.

"Dickens' London" is not just a phrase for a catchy title: this book is about the London of his lifetime (only very occasionally do we stray later than the early 1870s, or earlier than about 1810), and a number of relevant episodes from his life and writings are mentioned.

Thoroughly illustrated, with black and white illustrations in the text, maps of Victorian London in the front, and a couple of color inserts.  Plentiful endnotes.