logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: WTFuckery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-30 18:45
THE OUTSIDER by Stephen King
The Outsider - Stephen King

I loved the first half of this book so much, I hardly knew what to do with myself. I just wanted to be reading every minute of the day. Don't get me wrong, the second half was good, it just didn't impress me quite as much.

I'm not going to rehash the plot, because today, only one week from the release date, there are already hundreds of reviews that do that. I'm just going to give a few of my thoughts and impressions:

The first quarter of this book was outstanding. It reminded me of all the reasons I love King in the first place. Then the second quarter? It was even better! I know that my mouth dropped open when I was reading quite a few times and who doesn't love being surprised? The third quarter brings us Ms. Holly Gibney, (who was probably my favorite character from the Bill Hodges crime trilogy which began with Mr. Mercedes), but the pacing began to slow. The fourth quarter just got draggy and I wanted things to wrap up.

Overall, I was prepared to go all fangirl over this book and at first THE OUTSIDER deserved that and more. By the time we approached the denouement, I was still enjoying myself, but not as much. Perhaps it's because I expect so much from King and it's just not possible for anyone, even him, to live up to my expectations? Perhaps, it's because I was also reading CARRIE at the same time for a book club meeting, and that short novel reminded me how lean and mean King can be?

Whatever the reason, I do recommend THE OUTSIDER, I just can't give it my highest recommendation. Even so, a 4 star King book is worth 2 or 3 of most other author's 5 star books, so you should still read it! I hope you enjoy it, if you do!

review 2018-04-10 18:45
HAMMURABI ROAD by Steve Vernon, narrated by Robert Thaler
Hammurabi Road: A Tale of Northern Ontario Vengeance - Steve Vernon

HAMMURABI ROAD is one messed up, creative, and funny as hell novella! Listening to the audio made me burst out laughing several times, (which is generally frowned upon at work.) What made it even worse was that I couldn't explain why I was laughing so hard, because these people? They wouldn't get why the bear scene was so funny.

As is stated in the summary, this is the tale of 4 men on the road, three in the front and one tied up in the back. We're talking Canadian backwoods men and they're looking for revenge. What they get instead is a bear, a possibility of mistaken identity, and some flashbacks of "Shut the F up, Donnie," from the Big Lebowski.

I listened to this on audio, narrated by Robert Thaler, who is new to me. His voice took a bit of getting used to, but once I did, I let him tell me the story of these rednecks and their revenge and I lost myself for a while.

Over the top and not afraid of offending anyone, HAMMURABI ROAD is an hilarious way to spend a few hours! Recommended!

You can get a copy here: HAMMURABI ROAD

*I received this audio free from the author in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*

review 2018-01-14 00:15
Hidden Bodies by Carolyn Kepnes, narrated by Santino Fontana
Hidden Bodies - Santino Fontana,Caroline Kepnes,Simon & Schuster Audio

I don't even know what to say.

I can't explain to you how I came to root for an insane psycho killer, (qu'es'tque ce?), but I did.

YOU AND HIDDEN BODIES are original books with twists, turns, hot sex, vicious murders and close calls. I'm pretty sure I had some type of mini-stroke in there somewhere.

Santino Fontana is an incredibly talented narrator who totally became Joe to me.

Where can I get in line for Caroline Kepnes' next book?

review 2018-01-03 22:45
You by Caroline Kepnes, narrated by Santino Fontana
You - Santino Fontana,Caroline Kepnes,Simon & Schuster Audio

Everyone in this book was bat-shit crazy. I LOVED it!

There's lot of insanity and a good amount of sexy times as well. I just could not pull away from this train wreck of humanity.

*Thanks to my local library for providing the audiobook for free via Overdrive. Libraries rule!

review 2017-12-05 22:30
Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan, narrated by Penelope Rawlins
Talulla Rising - Penelope Rawlins,Glen Duncan

When I was listening to THE LAST WEREWOLF, I wasn't sure I would continue on with the series. I liked the bloodiness of it, and I enjoyed the world building, but was less than thrilled with the tons of graphic sex going on.

EAT, FUCK, KILL is the werewolf mantra.

(spoiler show)

However, there was such a great hook at the end of the narrative AND the library had the audio of this one in stock, and here we are!

Right now, I feel the same way as I did when I finished the first book in the series. Here there were many surprises, (maybe too many to be believed, but hey-it's a werewolf book), and a good amount of action. However, I didn't feel that the quality of the writing was quite as good as THE LAST WEREWOLF.

Once again, close to the end, there is another surprising tidbit that makes me want to continue on with the series. This time, though, I'm going to read a few books in between, and then see if I still feel like continuing.

*I checked this audio out from my local library for FREE. LIBRARIES RULE!*