logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Wikipedia
Load new posts () and activity
review 2016-11-06 18:41
Shots on the Bridge by Ronnie Greene
Shots on the Bridge: Police Violence and Cover-Up in the Wake of Katrina - Ronnie Greene

Horrifying. Disturbing. Shameful. Criminal. Murderers. Five words I would use to describe a group of New Orleans police officers so out of control and above the law it's almost impossible to believe. Hurricane Katrina brought out the best in most and the worst in others. I don't care how unprepared, overwhelmed, and overworked the NOPD was for the devastation that Katrina left in her path, NO EXCUSE is ever going to convince me that the actions taken by these officers couldn't have been easily avoided. You had one job and it wasn't to kill innocent victims of natural disaster. I love New Orleans. It's a fabulous place with good, happy folk. This was painful to read. Heartbreaking.

*I was provided with a DRC from Edelweiss for review purposes. Opinions are my own.

The accused are found guilty.

The Danziger Bridge shootings were police shootings that took place on September 4, 2005, at the Danziger Bridge in New Orleans, Louisiana. Six days after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, members of the New Orleans Police Department killed two civilians: 17-year-old James Brissette and 40-year-old Ronald Madison.

Danziger Bridge shootings - Wikipedia

review 2015-02-09 23:06
Dennis Rader
Wichita State University Alumni: Dennis Rader, Harold Elliott, Jim Bede, Joyce Didonato, Bruce Conner, John Mills Houston, James Billings - Source Wikipedia
bookshelves: winter-20142015, film-only, true-grime
Read from February 08 to 09, 2015

From wiki: Dennis Lynn Rader (born March 9, 1945) is an American serial killer who murdered ten people in Sedgwick County (in and around Wichita, Kansas), between 1974 and 1991.

He is known as the BTK killer (or the BTK strangler). "BTK" stands for "Bind, Torture, Kill", which was his infamous signature. He sent letters describing the details of the killings to police and local news outlets during the time period in which the murders took place.

After a long hiatus in the 1990s through early 2000s, Rader resumed sending letters in 2004, leading to his 2005 arrest and subsequent conviction. He is currently serving 10 consecutive life sentences at El Dorado Correctional Facility in Kansas.
review 2014-10-06 22:30
The Flash: Rebirth by Geoff Johns
Comics by Geoff Johns: Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War, 52, the Flash: Rebirth, Infinite Crisis, Green Lantern: Rebirth - Source Wikipedia

Genre: Science Fiction / Action / Superheroes / Family

Year Published: 2009

Year Read: 10/6/2014

Series: The Flash

Publisher: DC Comics

Introduction:

My first introduction to Flash’s character was through the “Justice League” cartoon series that aired on Cartoon Network years ago. Since then, I had become a huge fan of the Flash (even though for many years, I had actually thought that Barry Allen was the Flash in the “Justice League” cartoon, when it turned out to actually be Wally West). So, not only did I want to check this comic book out to prepare for the new live action “Flash” TV series that is coming out on the CW, but I also wanted to learn more about Flash’s character in the DC comics and “The Flash: Rebirth” seemed like a good place to actually start reading the “Flash” comics.

What is this story about?

In this story, Barry Allen, who was hailed a hero after he sacrificed his life during a cosmic crisis in the past, has come back to life and all his friends and family are planning to throw him a special party for his return. Unfortunately, since Barry Allen had been dead for so long, he finds himself being out of place in this new world and he became a bit distant towards his friends, due to wanting to solve the mystery of the person who murdered his mother and why he was brought back to life. Barry will soon realize that a dark force is behind everything that happened to him in his life and he must gather the strength to defeat this new threat that is harming his family!

What I loved about this story:

Geoff Johns’ writing: Now, I will admit that this is the first time I had read anything by Geoff Johns and his run in the DC universe. So, when I heard so many good things about what he has done for the DC universe, I just had to check this title out! I really liked the way that Geoff Johns showed the relationships that Barry Allen has with his family, especially with his wife Iris West and his protégé Wally West. It was great seeing that the Flash family is extremely close to each other and is willing to protect Barry Allen from whatever evil forces comes upon him. I also enjoyed seeing Barry’s relationship with Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern, as it shows that they are truly best friends and that Hal always tries to cheer Barry up whenever Barry is feeling down on himself. I really enjoyed the fact that Geoff Johns tries to make sure that the readers are caught up on Barry Allen’s history as we are treated to seeing Barry’s past from being the Flash to leading to the murder of his mother, which was a pretty nice mystery set up for this story!

Ethan Van Sciver’s artwork: Ethan Van Sciver’s artwork was just marvelous in this volume as the characters look truly realistic and the action sequences were extremely well drawn out! I really loved the scenes where the Flash family fight against various foes as the action sequences are full of bright colors and dramatic artwork and they really set the exciting mood for those scenes. I also loved the way that Ethan Van Sciver drew the emotions on the characters’ faces, especially with Barry Allen’s facial expressions whenever he is feeling sad or angry at the situations he is thrown into.

What made me feel uncomfortable about this story:

The reason why I gave this graphic novel a four star rating was because there were a couple of places where the story seemed to drag on for so long that I found myself getting a little restless with the storytelling. Also, if you are a new reader to the “Flash” universe, you might get a little confused about how Barry Allen had died in the first place or how his relationships with Iris and Wally West got established since the story does go through those developments a little too fast (I know, it is really because I did not read the previous “Flash” comics before this event, but I got to start somewhere)!

Final Thoughts:

Overall, “The Flash: Rebirth” is a good comic book to get into if you enjoyed Barry Allen as the Flash and if you liked his relationships with his family members. Or if you are just looking for a good Flash family comic in general, this is a pretty good comic to start off with!

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

review 2013-04-24 00:00
Internet Search Engines: Google Search, Archie Search Engine, Wide Area Information Server, Lycos, Citeseer, Inktomi, Bing, Yahoo! - Source Wikipedia,Books LLC,Books Group A short but even quite thorough introduction to the world of existing and slowly dying solutions for those who want to dig into the web and master the art of correct use... But of course you could have easily just visited the wikipedia pages or google interesting information around to further your knowledge... Still if your eyes are read, you can't watch the screen anymore or your teacher requires you to put bibliographical notes in the short paper you've just managed or are planning to finish using wikipedia database as theoretical knowledge/background it could be wise to just check this short book and skim for required information... At least no one would say that you've merely CTRL+ACVPed the site, since you also have to read and type. For those looking for a comprehensive bible this just wouldn't cut it.
review 2012-10-22 00:00
The Hunger Games: List of Characters in the Hunger Games Trilogy, the Hunger Games Universe, Katniss Everdeen, Catching Fire, Mockingjay - Source Wikipedia ...Why is this on Goodreads? Are Wikipedia articles considered books now? :/