logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Writing
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-15 05:19
Wholeness, duality, I and Thou
The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin

I did not want this to end. I feel a bit bereft, and very emotional, and somewhat fragile (even if Rokkanon's World had prepared me for the possibility). And in awe. Dazzled in awe of how Le Guin can weave this beautiful settings to address concepts, limitations, canons of society, give them new perspectives and lead into discussions well before their time.

She did warn in a way, in that introduction. Because, it might be that I had late access to the Internet, and so was somewhat cut out from the world-dialogue, but it looks to me that talk of gradients and varieties of sex and sexuality (beyond the ever polemical homosexual, bisexual or trans-gender, and those as isolated phenomenons at that), is pretty recent. Yet here it is, served as a "fait acompli" in the form of a world where gender has always been a fluid thing, when it's even a thing, and the protagonist just has to deal, get over and past it, once and for all. Let me tell you, I had some fun mocking the MC over his inability to accept, because at some point, it annoyed me. Which is exactly the point of the book, I think.

Tied to that, all the issues of friendship, love, miss/understanding, acceptance, and what have you, in an epic sprinkled with back-ground myths and wrapped up in a sci-fi package. And by all the literary muses, I loved it.

review 2017-09-11 18:14
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life - Anne Lamott

Humourous look at being a writer and what you need to do, reminding me that the problem exists for me between keyboard and seat.

review 2017-09-08 20:51
DNF: The Author Training Manual by Nina Amir
The Author Training Manual: Develop Marketable Ideas, Craft Books That Sell, Become the Author Publishers Want, and Self-Publish Effectively - Nina Amir,James Scott Bell

After a two-year hiatus from this book, I have finally accepted what I knew long ago -- I am not going back. And having it sit half-finished has held me back from pursuing other writing exercise books for far too long. It is time to move on.

I was initially excited about this book that tackles the more "business-y" side of writing and being an author, and I read and did the exercises diligently for the first several chapters. But the questions end up being incredibly repetitive and the exercises uninspiring, until my dread of returning to it led to the long break while I coped with the fact that this "finisher" was not going to finish this book.

I guess I'll have to find some other way to train as an author.

review 2017-09-06 19:45
Tate
Tate (The Temptation Series) - Ella Frank

To Tate,

From the very beginning I had a plan for my life.

But it wasn’t until we met that I knew it was you.

~Logan

Another book and another emersion into the love between Logan and Tate.  Who would have thought that Ella could continue to grow and expand on this couple so beautifully and so successfully.  I am in awe.

First off, no one should read any review that has spoilers and should honestly avoid even reading non-spoiler reviews...and yet here I am writing one.  So shut this off and go read this book and enjoy it for yourself…I seriously doubt anyone who loves Logan and Tate would be disappointed.

This next chapter continues to explore these men, their backgrounds, history, fears, doubts and unwavering love for the other.  The glimpses and nuggets of times past, especially from Try, are woven beautifully into the story and simply give new meaning and insight into the love between these two men.

I have always said that for me this is Logan’s story.  His character development for me is just unmatched and his love for Tate continues to be heartfelt and heartbreaking.  I simply adore him.  And this one only solidifies my thoughts on this.  I will say however that Tate seemed to realize that perhaps Logan is just as much his Truth as Tate is to Logan. And that discovery was rather breathtaking.

There, in a bathroom that was built for sin, the passion eased and the fever simmered until the deeper, scarier feelings began to consume the two of them. Tate opened himself up to the onslaught as Logan wove his fingers through his hair and cradled his head, seeking more. Tate gave it without any conscious thought, just handed it over as he would his last breath, should Logan require it, and then he was falling all over again. Falling for the charm of the silver-tongued lawyer who’d picked him to sit down opposite that first night. Falling into a relationship he’d always wanted but never dreamed he would have. But most of all, he was falling in love with Logan all over again, just as he’d done every day since he’d known him.

Now, as for secondary characters, Will has stepped up to become one of my favorite characters in this series.  Such a huge heart this man has and someone who has quickly become the father that these boys desperately need.

I am honestly sad to know there is only one more installment left.  I hate to see this come to closure but given how book 4 and 5 have gone, I can honestly say that the rereads could only get better and better as we view these early moments between them with all new eyes, knowing now what the future has in store.

So much love for this couple.

*An ARC was received from the Author in exchange for an honest review.*

review 2017-09-05 08:07
Harriet The Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

I have read this again as an adult. The last couple times I was around Harriet's age. It is a lot different from what I remember, and I am highly influenced by what I remember in the movie as I've seen that several times in my adult years. I feel like it still holds up, but honestly maybe not a glowing 5 star rating. It isn't a perfect book by any means. I'm leaving it at 5 stars, because this book (and the movie) were very important to me when I read/saw them for the first time at age 12. I even kept a journal and thought I was a spy for a while.

As an adult, I can say that Harriet was a little bit of a bratty, spoiled child, but I hardly blame her, because of how she was raised.

I also want to say that if Janie was really her best friend, I don't believe she would have read her diary/journal, and should have gave it back to Harriet. None of the mess would have happened. Harriet could have apologized for hurting people's feelings, but I don't think she should have to lie, maybe little white lies. Her journal was her personal thoughts and something she really needed. There are people who believe she might have been on the autism spectrum and the journal was her grounding activity.

Also how Janie and Sport treated Harriet does not come off how a best friend would treat another friend, even if they were angry at each other. I might be able to believe the other classmates actions, because they were never that close to Harriet. Some people think Golly was a bad influence, but I don't think so. She encouraged Harriet's imagination and seemed like the only person who could truly understand her, but that is just my opinion.