logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: YA-Psychological
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-04 22:07
She’s More Than Meets The Eye – The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson @peterswanson3
The Kind Worth Killing - Peter Swanson

This is another overdue review and I loved The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson, so I don’t know why it took me so long to share it with you.

Thanks to Peter Swanson and William Morrow.

The Kind Worth Killing

Amazon  /  Audiobook  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

On a plane from London to Boston, Ted and Lily meet. Does this sounds familiar? Even so, Peter Swanson gives it his own special twist that kept me reading, cover to cover.

Ted’s a rich businessman and Lily works is a free spirit. But you don’t want to cross her.

They begin a game of truth and it gets way out of hand. Just the kind of games I love reading about.

The circle of treachery went round and round, piece by piece. Things didn’t go as planned, but do they ever? The betrayals and vengeance was shared by all.

I knew what would happen…sorta…

Playing judge, jury and executioner can bring bad Karma to you.

The pacing of the mystery kept me reading, unable to put the book down. It plays with my head as I try to keep everything straight and figure out who’s going to do what to who. Do they really think they’ll get away with it? Will they get away with it? Who is they? Can a bad person be good? LOL Full circle.

The writing is fantastic. I read the book cover to cover in one sitting. I didn’t find all the answers until the very last page. Way to go Peter!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos5 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY PETER SWANSON REVIEW

The Girl With A Clock For A Heart

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/the-kind-worth-killing-by-peter-swanson-peterswanson3
review 2019-01-04 17:15
COYOTE SONGS by Gabino Iglesias
Coyote Songs - Gabino Iglesias

COYOTE SONGS. What can I say? It was brilliant, so let's start with that.

I can't even hope to write a review as insightful and well written as my friend's, Michael Patrick Hicks', here: Mike's review.

All I can hope to do is try to impart to you the way this book make me feel. There is a small group of characters living near the U.S./Mexican border and we are privy to their lives-with all the sorrows and joys therein. Unfortunately, there are very few joys. There is little to look forward to other than more poverty, misery, and crime. I quote from the book:

"He opened his eyes to a present that mocked his every wish and shattered any vision that dared go past it."

When every hope you have is dashed, when every small good thing in your life is met with ten big, bad things, what point is there? When you have no hope for your children or yourself, again, what's the point?

Here is where I was going to make a brief political statement, but I just deleted it. If you don't already feel compassion or empathy for those innocents caught up in this immigration debacle, then there's nothing I can say to make you feel for them. But Gabino Iglesias has said the words that made me feel even more for them than I already did.

They are powerful words. They are words that needed to be said. They're not all flowers and sunshine, they are violent and dark and represent some of the worst things about humanity. You should read those words. They are called COYOTE SONGS.

My highest recommendation, period.

You can and SHOULD get your copy here: COYOTE SONGS

review 2018-12-30 02:14
Review: The Promise by Teresa Driscoll
The Promise - Teresa O'Driscoll

Published by: Thomas & Mercer (7th February 2019)

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

It was their darkest secret. Three schoolgirls made a promise – to take the horrible truth of what they did to the grave.

Thirty years later, Beth and Sally have tried to put the trauma behind them. Though Carol has distanced herself from her former friends, the three are adamant that the truth must never come to light, even if the memory still haunts them.

But when some shocking news threatens to unearth their dark secret, Beth enlists the help of private investigator Matthew Hill to help her and Sally reconnect with estranged Carol ­– before the terrible act they committed as teenagers is revealed.

Beth wishes she could take back the vow they made.

But somebody is watching and will stop at nothing to ensure the secret stays buried. Now, with her beloved family in peril, can Beth still keep the promise?

Review:

I've previously read and thoroughly enjoyed the author's previous psychological thrillers and had been eagerly anticipating this, her third novel of the genre. Although seemingly initially slow, with time spent carefully constructing the background and present day characters to ensure no attention to detail was left out, the story of #ThePromise begins to build as we meet the three schoolgirls and some of the supporting characters that also play a part in this deftly tangled and emotionally fraught web.

As the story of the three friends progresses and #ThePromise itself is revealed, it is clear that this tale is about to get a whole lot darker. It doesn't matter that I guess the awful truth before it is revealed, the fact that this novel kept me up all night reading far negates that! The heart racing, dreadful feeling in the pit of your stomach moments that books like Teresa's give you come from great, innate storytelling talent, which Ms Driscoll clearly has in droves. I'll never look at a magnolia tree without imagining the three girls and what happened.

review 2018-12-30 01:31
Review: Where The Truth Lies (D I Tom Ridpath #1) by M J Lee

Published by: Canelo (22nd October 2018)

ASIN: B07HYQ99YV

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 4.5*

Synopsis:

DI Tom Ridpath was on the up in the Manchester CID:
a promising young detective whose first case involved
capturing a notorious serial killer. But ten years
later he’s recovering from a serious illness and on
the brink of being forced out of the police. Then
people start dying: tortured, murdered, in an uncanny
echo of Ridpath’s first case. As the investigation intensifies, old bodies go missing,
records can’t be found and the murder count grows.
Caught in a turf war between the police and the coroner’s
office, digging up skeletons some would rather forget,
Ridpath is caught in a race against time: a race to save
his career, his marriage… And lives. When a detective goes missing everything is on the line.
Can Ridpath close the case and save his colleague? Review: Where The Truth Lies is the kind of book that gets
under your skin from the very first chapter. Tom
Ridpath is a character that I wasn't entirely sure I
liked at the beginning of the book, but he really grew
on me the deeper I delved into the case. He's not your
run of the mill, predictable detective and that is
refreshing. He's not afraid to bend the rules to get
results and as his personality emerged, the more I
admired and respected him. The investigation that consumes DI Ridpath is utterly
chilling, well constructed and finely detailed. The cast
of supporting characters is varied and colourful, and
the case itself makes for gripping reading. I'm very
much looking forward to meeting DI Ridpath on his
next case.
review 2018-12-29 14:42
Wife Between Us
The Wife Between Us - Julia Whelan,Sarah Pekkanen,Greer Hendricks

Mea culpa time:  I received an ARC of this book in September of 2017 (had to search my emails to figure out when this was!).  I had the best of intentions but kept not getting to it.

Fast forward more than one year, and the book has gotten a ton of [well-deserved] attention.  And....  It's available as audiobook.  Which seems to be the only way to come close to a 100% guarantee I will complete a book anymore.  I requested it from the library e-collection, waited, downloaded, listened.  Got almost immediately hooked.  Kicked myself for not jumping on this one right away.  Back in September of 2017!

Vanessa Thompson, recently divorced, wishes to prevent her ex-husband, Richard, from marrying his new fiancee.

Why is she intent on stopping him?

Well....  This book has plenty of twists.  The kind that make you want to re-read early sections after a new piece of information blows your mind.  I don't want to spoil the fun by being more specific than that.  I'll just note that the book is divided into three parts.  You go into part two after your mind has gone boom.  Part three also occurs after an interesting shift, though not as brain-kicking as the first.

This is a quick, fun, gratifying read for fans of this genre (mystery/thriller)

The audio includes a recorded conversation between the two co-authors.