logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: YA-mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-09-25 07:29
The Hiding Place by C.J. Tudor
The Hiding Place - C.J. Tudor,Richard Armitage

Creepy, well told story with a smattering of paranormal. Lovely narration by Richard Armitage.

review 2020-09-15 19:51
Apprentice In Death by J. D Robb
So when I had won this book I had no idea it was #43 in the series.
I didn't let it deter me from reading it though. You gotta start somewhere, right?!
I'm glad I did too! It made me want to go back and check it out from the start.
Eve Dallas is one bad-ass leuitenant! She's smart, sassy and gets the job done. She is everything you could hope for in a character.
The other characters in the book are decent too, and compliment the story well. I did end up really liking Peabody as well. Another strong female character, who is also a cop.
I wanna punch both of the Mackie's in the throat. Especially the dad. Like how can he justify any of his actions?! I hated him and his reasonings while I read it.
The story itself took a moment for me to get into. It's a police procedural, which I liked, but I felt it got off track once or twice in the beginning. When the author got it back on it was a lot more addictive and I was craving to get through it and see what happens. It really came together in the end and I was left wanting more!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/09/apprentice-in-death-by-jd-robb-48.html
review 2020-09-13 09:08
The Sun Down Motel
The Sun Down Motel - Simone St. James

I am not a fan of horror, but I'm a big fan of old-fashioned ghost stories, when read in broad daylight.  I've been a big fan of Simone St. James' ghost stories since I first found The Haunting of Maddy Claire, the first of ... five?... historical ghost stories.  She branched off in a new direction with The Broken Girls, going with a dual time-line plot, which I read hesitantly, but enjoyed thoroughly.  The Sun Down Motel is another such book: a dual time-line mystery firmly rooted around a haunted place, this time a hotel that was pretty much doomed before it ever opened its doors.

I'm still a fan of St. James - I think this was a riveting read, and I devoured it in 2 sittings (daylight hours, all of them), but it wasn't as good as some of her others for two reasons, both purely subjective.  The first was the heavy handedness of the message: that women have always been, and sadly will always be, to some extent, vulnerable and expendable.  This is as unavoidable a fact as it is an inexcusable one, but more subtle writing would have had more powerful an impact.  Instead, there were times - just a few - that I felt like I was the choir and I was being preached at.  This wasn't a massive issue; it was just enough to pull me out of my head and the story a time or two.

The second reason is almost silly:  the ghosts.  They were almost exactly my right level of scary, but, and it took me some time to figure this out, they didn't have quite the effect on me as the ghosts in her previous books, because they never really focused on the main characters.  These hauntings were almost the remnant-kind: they were there acting in an endless loop, whether anyone witnessed or not, although there was a trigger.  The main ghost communicated with the historical time-line mc, but only once without being pushed into it by Viv.  The other ghosts communicated with the present day mc, Carly, but benignly.  They were spooky, absolutely, but at a remove, so that they fell just short of spine-tingling.

And I guess, as I write this I was left unsatisfied by Nick's story; it felt like it should be going somewhere and it didn't.  I'm also disappointed that there was never an explanation for the present-day entry in the guest book of one James March who registered the day Carly and Nick had their first real experience with the Sun Down Motel.  That was a BIG little thing to leave hanging with no follow up.

But overall, it was a good story; I liked that both Viv and Carly had solid friendships in their timelines; I liked that Nick was her support from pretty much page 1, and I liked the investigatory process of the mystery plot, even if I thought Viv was a reckless idiot.  The story sucked me in, and I remain a solid fan of St. James' books.

review 2020-09-04 19:53
I love “Chubby” Vish Puri!
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Vish Puri #3) - Tarquin Hall

I will never not love Vish Puri. These are the mysteries I read when I just want to chuckle, relax my mind, and forget about all the crap that’s going on in the world today. Vish Puri never disappoints. His usual cast of vagabond associate detectives are on hand in The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken, and of course, Mummy-ji has her own little investigatory adventure going on the side. Actually, we get to learn some of Mummy-ji’s backstory, and it’s not what you might expect—but it certainly goes a long way toward explaining why she’s so tough and fearless, and why she refuses to stay quiet and sit still in her dotage, or spend all her time at kitty parties like all the other mummy-ji’s. To my mind, this series is one of the very best cozy mysteries out there. I can’t get enough Vish Puri!

review 2020-08-29 15:08
The Wolves of Venice
The Wolves of Venice - Alex Conner

by Alex Conner

I love both Paris and Venice as settings and have to admit that influenced my request for this book. I did get some taste of Venice, but unfortunately not as much as I'd hoped for.

The story itself has possibilities, though it moves rather slowly and the author over uses the word 'had'. It isn't necessary in 99% of the sentences when you're already writing in past tense! It got really irritating and distracted me from the story.

The other thing the book got wrong is what too many series are doing these days, leaving resolution for a future sequel. I have to admit this has made me generally avoid series written in this century, with very few exceptions.

There is mystery and intrigue, but too much left unanswered at the end.