Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: YOUTH
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-18 11:34
The Well of Youth: The Last Prophecy Series 1 - E.J.Dawson

Although this is listed as a fantasy story it is much more an adventure story. True, the story is set in an imaginary world but it is a very recognisable one. Professor Holloran went missing when he left on a mission to follow some ancient texts referring to a well of youth, allegedly giving eternal life to the lucky drinker of this magical water. So the government sends out a dashing female captain, the professor's favourite student Andy and another scholar named Osewyn to find both the professor and the well. What follows is an adventure that features a marvellous ship called Juggernaut, an encounter with a Kraken,pirates,ice covered landscapes, huskies and colourful characters. This is the first in the trilogy and as said before, it is a great adventure story.

review 2018-01-17 17:28
Feral Youth
Feral Youth - Shaun David Hutchinson,Suzanne Young,Marieke Nijkamp,Robin Talley,Stephanie Kuehn,E. C. Myers,Tim Floreen,Alaya Dawn Johnson,Justina Ireland,Brandy Colbert
This wasn’t exactly the novel I was hoping it would be. The side stories by the different authors were nothing to scream about, I didn’t think, but the main story about the ten delinquents left out in the woods for three days was what, had my attention. I wanted more of this story, I wanted to know what became of them, I just wished the book contained more of their journey.
They had spent three weeks preparing for their three-day stint in the woods. The ten teenagers each have their own reasons for being a part of this outreach program, some more severe than others. Blindfolded on their drive in, the teens are dropped off in the woods and are given three days to reach their destination. In a perfect world, the teens would have used teamwork, cooperation, and survival skills to make it to the end but this is not a perfect world and we see that, the minute the van drives away. They were teens, they had egos and some immediately formed groups. Some just wanted to make it to the pick-up point and some just didn’t care. They had three days, just three days but to them, it was a lifetime.
Gio, the individual telling the story brought up the idea of the teens telling original stories after the teens started to argue about water. Yeah, some thought the idea was stupid until Gio offered up a hundred dollars for the story that he thought was the best. That shut them up and soon the stories began. Each of the stories were different, there was no central theme running throughout them. There was a bit of truth in a few of the stories, it just depended upon the individual who was speaking. Gio was right, it did keep them busy, their minds were occupied and they couldn’t wait to hear what someone else had to say.
I liked reading about the teens adventure. I found it interesting as a group how they tried to tackle this assignment. There was an injury along the way and seeing how the characters handled that situation said a lot for that character. People talk the talk but until you walk the walk, you never really know. They were all individual others thought (and a few of these teens thought) were delinquents, but were they really? I didn’t care for the stories that the teens told as they walked. I thought they were simple and juvenile. I kept hoping as I read that that next one would be better so I could pick the winner.

review 2017-10-01 16:20
Youth - Isaac Asimov Youth - Isaac Asimov

Loved it! Such a great short story.

I loved the changing perspectives of the narration. The story progresses from multiple points of view, leading to a great twist.

A perfectly entertaining story for Asimov fans.

review 2017-09-18 00:44
Hunter and the Grape by Eoin C. Macken - My Thoughts
Hunter and the Grape - Eoin C. Macken

I do love Eoin Macken's writer's voice.  He has lovely turns of phrase and a thoughtful way of seeing things that verges on the poetic at times.  Which shouldn't suprise me, he does write poetry.
I loved Eoin' s first book, Kingdom of Scars, and was looking forward to reading this, his next offering.  Now these books are not in genres that I often, if ever, read.  Gonna be honest, I read the first one because I love Eoin on TV and was curious.  I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the man could write!  And write well!

So, Hunter and the Grape.  I didn't love it as much as I loved Kingdom of Scars, I will admit.  This time, the hero is a little older - he's eighteen and his life just totally sucks.  He leaves home in Albuquerque, New Mexico, meets up with a girl and the adventure begins.  This book would make a terrific movie.  I found it reminiscent of My Own Private Idaho, Heathers, Beautiful Thing and What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Reading this book made me wish I was 16 again.  Not because I want to live my life over or anything, but because then I could enjoy this book totally and fall in love with Cat/Hunter, the main character and wish I was Grape.  They're so screwed up, but not.  They get into so much trouble and then get out of it.  They can make $87 stretch FOREVER.

It's a beautifully written book.  I love Eoin's words.  This is YA literature, in my humble opinion.  :)

review 2017-04-02 02:45
The Knaveheart's Curse - Adele Griffin
  Maddy and her family are hybrid vampire-fruit bats who are trying to become fully human and have moved to the New World. Unfortunately the 9th Knaveheart has followed them and is trying to find its heir so it can retire. Maddy must be on her toes so the 9th Knaveheart does not succeed.

This was fun. It can be read as a standalone. I loved Maddy. She is everything a pre-teen should be including being a vampire. She is sarcastic, snarky, and funny. She still holds onto some of the vampire ways but is trying to fit in. Her family is different. I enjoyed her brother. The two are what siblings should be.

The story was fun as Maddy met some otherworldly creatures. It is up to her to save the day and protect the Knaveheart heir from coming to fruition. I have got to find the first book in the series and I hope there are more books to come.