logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Young-Adult-Fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-31 19:00
Book Review: Grace and the Fever
Grace and the Fever - Zan Romanoff

Where to start? I knew this would be a great read as soon as I started it. Grace is a pretty typical teenager who happens to be obsessed with a boy band. As someone who once had N'Sync and Backstreet Boys posters all over my wall, I immediately related to her interests. Unlike her friends, Grace never outgrew her love of Fever Dream and it caused her to grow apart from them.

This coming of age story really covered a lot of relationship issues that young adults deal with and I really enjoyed getting to know Grace through all of them. While the main focus was on Grace's interactions with Jes and the band, reading about her navigation through her friendships was equally important. This book tackles some basic parenting/friendship issues but also goes through the online identity stress and of course, celebrity privacy issues. It sounds like a lot, but the story was well rounded and a very fun read.

There is so much going on with Grace as she meets her idols and subsequently gets pulled into their world, it was refreshing to feel the nervousness and trepidation she experienced. The author does a wonderful job of pulling you into the moment and running away with it. I didn't want to put the book down.

The celebrity lifestyle comes with a lack of privacy and a lot of its own subculture. Jes' character was realistic and full of surprises. His acknowledgement of his lack of "regular" experiences hit me right in the heart. Adolescence is such an important part of growing up and a rock start lifestyle definitely isn't a normal youth experience. I imagine most young stars would relate to those feelings.

I would highly recommend this book to YA readers, especially those who really enjoy a story about coming into your own skin and learning from some hard life lessons.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, I was not monetarily compensated and my opinions are my own*

review 2017-02-24 03:53
Review: Great build, disappointing ending
Chameleon - Zoe Kalo

What first drew me to this book was the cover, isn't it gorgeous? I read the synopsis and knew that I had to get my hands on this intriguing story. Seances, murder, mystery and a convent, what could possibly go wrong?

Let's start with the good. First off, Paloma was an interesting character. Her experience and apathy toward her new "home" made her a character I could easily relate to. Who would want their senior year of high school uprooted? And to a convent? I would have hated it too. There was definitely a mystery about her and her curiosity about her new friends was natural and moved at a great pace. Paloma herself had some demons to battle and I really enjoyed her amateur sleuthing techniques and observations.

I have to say, what bothered me about this book is how rushed everything seemed at the end. The story was building nicely, sometimes even a bit slowly, and then all of the sudden I am rereading sections to try to figure out what happened. I love a good mystery/suspense build and I was disappointed in how quickly this one switched gears.

If you enjoy drama and a who-done-it thriller then this is the book for you. Lots of intrigue and interesting twists await you, I just didn't particularly enjoy the rushed ending.

review 2017-01-11 21:38
Review: Love and Other Unknown Variables
Love and Other Unknown Variables - Shannon Alexander

It is a rare occasion that a book makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I really loved Charlotte's quick wit and charming sarcasm, combined with Charlie's social ineptitude it made for a winning combination.

The story is written from Charlie's point of view which gives it a really great perspective. As intelligent as he is, Charlie has a lot to learn about life, social skills and of course love. One of my favorite quotes from the book is “Please don't confuse love and logic Charlie. They aren't even remotely related. “ I really enjoyed reading about Charlie's fumbling journey into realizing not everything in life can be broken down into an equation.

In addition to enjoying the budding friendship of Charlotte and Charlie, their friends and family really make this a well rounded story. Charlie's two best friends and sister are easy to relate to and aren't afraid to tell him when he's being awful. This story would not have been as strong without them.

Charlotte's sister is the idealist we all want to be. She challenges a group of high school kids to "bring it" on the very first day of class and the pranks that ensue brought a delightful chuckle in this sometimes serious story. Most of all I enjoyed that she wasn't perfect and was able to be vulnerable without being weak. That seems to be a rare talent for female characters.

I would highly recommend you pick up this well written story, but be prepared for a few tears along the way. As with life, we can't always chose our own endings.
review 2016-11-24 02:00
Out of Darkness -
Out of Darkness (Fiction - Young Adult) - Ashley Hope Pérez

This book broke me.

It ripped my heart out and forced me to watch.

Maybe some day I'll have coherent thoughts to write up a real review, but not right now. For now I'm just going to mope around and have hardcore book hangover.

Willreviewonceheartgrowsback.

Recommend.

review 2016-10-22 19:17
Someone I Wanted To Be/Aurelia Willis
Someone I Wanted to Be - Aurelia Wills

When an insecure teen starts impersonating someone else, her life spirals dangerously out of control in a realistic, relatable novel about finding yourself—and discovering your true friends.

Leah Lobermier dreams of becoming a doctor, but it’s hard to stay focused on getting good grades when boys make oinking sounds at her in school and her mother spends every night on the couch with a bottle of wine. Leah’s skinny and popular "friends," Kristy and Corinne, aren’t much better and can hardly be counted on for support. When the girls convince a handsome older man to buy them beer, Leah takes his phone number and calls him, pretending to be Kristy—coy and confident—and they develop a relationship, talking and texting day after day. But as the lie she created grows beyond her control, can Leah put a stop to things before she—or Kristy—is seriously hurt?

This was creepy. I'm definitely in favour of all topics being written about and all views being represented, but I so needed Leah to come to her senses to really appreciate this book, and it just...eh.

I didn't like Leah. I know I was supposed to feel sorry for her and I was supposed to get emotional over her growing up, but I also like my female heroines and I found Leah to be a bit too much of a pushover and that she didn't have enough of her own character--to the extent that she borrowed someone else's--to really draw my attention. She didn't really try. She could have taken initiative with her life, but she instead groaned and griped.

I also found it hard to comprehend why Leah and Kristy were friends. Their relationship was symbiotic and draining. I actually wanted to hear more about Kristy because there was backstory to her and why she was the way she was. The ending didn't really sit well with me, either.

But my biggest issue with this book was the premise--and kind of how unnecessary it was. Kurt could have been the same age as the girls, but it seemed like the author made him older as a boon, like Leah had more reason to want a much older man, and I found it really troublesome that the age factor was never really addressed and instead the biggest issue everyone had with him was that he didn't accept Leah's appearance.

I think there was potential here, but I simply didn't love this book.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.