logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Young-Adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-19 01:19
*Review* Over You By: Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus
Over You - Nicola Kraus,Emma McLaughlin

Over You is a fun bubbly read. The story was very nicely wrote, and definitely a interesting read. The story captures a strong, determined female character who has a business that try’s to help girls get over their ex’s, but only to find herself in her own situation.

review 2017-10-18 21:38
Great Tales of the Peculiar
Tales of the Peculiar - Ransom Riggs

I swear if Riggs had included more stories like this in his trilogy I would have ended up liking the series a lot better. We get to read about tales that are put together by one of the characters we read about in Miss Peregrine's series. "Tales of the Peculiar" is supposedly written by a former Miss Peregrine ward, Millard Nullings. I don't know if you all know about him. But he was the character that was invisible. I would suggest reading the series before this book since there is not that great of an introduction before you plunge into these tales.

The Splendid Cannibals (5 stars)-Definitely a cautionary tale about greed in this one. I did like the story of a village of peculiars selling their body parts (they grow back) to cannibals who tire of eating rotting body parts. I did laugh though at the villagers trying to one up each other with how stylish their homes were getting.

The Fork Tongued Princess (5 stars)-I would love to read a follow-up story about this character. A gorgeous princess with a forked tongue and scales being treated like a monster by her father and her fiancee. When she is revealed to be a monster, she eventually has to run away to seek a better life. She at one point says that she is through with princes, and when you see what she is put through, you can see why. It though is ultimately a tale of forgiveness.

The First Ymbryne (5 stars)-We find out about these birds that could become humans and how they changed life better for the peculiars. I loved reading about how loops were discovered. This could have been a really cool pre-cool book for the series. But I actually like it better as a short story.

The Woman Who Befriended Ghosts (4 stars)-An okay story, it was fairly short I thought. I loved the idea of a young woman who could see and speak to ghosts. She gets a pretty happy ending too.

Cocobolo (5 stars)-I don't want to give anything away. But I loved this one! So original and I was worried about how it would end, but it ended happily. I think.

The Pigeons of St. Paul's (3.5 stars)-Another short one compared to other stories. I think this was originally in one of the books. I don't feel like looking it up. Okay story, but compared to the other stories, not as great.

The Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares (5 stars)-This one made me shiver. Plus we got an alternate ending which was straight up horror when you read it. Loved it.

The Locust (4 stars)-This is a tale about loving your peculiar children or bad things can happen. I liked the ending though I was surprised Riggs didn't give us another alternative horror one after the last story.

The Boy Who Could Hold Back the Sea (4 stars)-I thought this was a pretty cool story. A boy who could control the sea and all of the problems it brings him.

The Tale of Cuthbert (3.5 stars)-Only because I read this before I think in book #2 of the series and I already knew how it ended.

I found the illustrations to be beautiful in this e-book. I would love to see the gold lettering and illustrations in a hardcover.

Loved this little trip back to Miss Peregrine and her children.

review 2017-10-17 04:26
This One Summer
This One Summer - Jillian Tamaki,Mariko Tamaki

Rose and Windy have been coming to the same beach every summer for years. Rose is a bit older and is starting to change into a young woman while Windy is still a girl. They have a sisterly relationship and enjoy their summers together. Rose is experiencing family strife and trying to figure out who she is as a young woman. Windy is still happy-go-lucky.

This graphic novel is based in summer fun, but there are a lot of serious issues going on here. Rose's parents are dealing with infertility and loss. The young man who works at the local store may have gotten his girlfriend pregnant. The older kids curse and talk about sex. This is not a story for younger readers. I think the appropriate age depends on your individual beliefs, but I would say high school.

I found the hyperness of Windy a bit irritating and I didn't love the book. But I can see that it is well-written and will appeal to many teens and young adults. I read this book for my Young Adult literature class. :)

review 2017-10-16 08:00
Forever In Blue
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood - Ann Brashares

(The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood)

It has obviously been quite a while since I read these books and was wondering, is this the same pants from the first book? If so, I think the real mystery is how these four girls were all able to fit the same pants for four summers!

I don't know why I got a part four in a series (without part 2 and 3) but, as the story is almost the same in every book (or so I'm told) it doesn't really matter.

I've only read the first book and this one, and it already felt repetitive. I wouldn't recommend it.

review 2017-10-15 16:47
A Beautiful Poison
A Beautiful Poison - Lydia Kang

[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley.]

Loved the backdrop in this book. World War I (with the reader knowing it’s nearing its end... but not the characters). The dreadful influenza reaching American shores and starting a war all of its own. Socialites in their own little world, feeling the bigger world as an intrusion that may or may touch them (whether draft or flu). Murders in those ‘higher spheres’, with the reminder that with a little money, nobody will try and look further. The early times of another type of poisoning, too, for the girls who painted clock dials with magic glowing in the dark (if you haven’t done so yet, read The Radium Girls, it’s really interesting).

I liked the beginning well enough: an engagement party, one of the guests falling to her death on the stair, and it turns out the fall isn’t what killed her—poison did. This murder, more than the party itself, reunites the three main characters, who got separated four years prior to these events, due to various reasons, but mostly selfish ones, such as falling out of favour (God forbids your daughter keeps associating with the child of people who committed suicide, right, this is so vulgar and out of taste); and considering the latter, there’s no wonder this relationship is tainted, poisoned, from the start, simmering with both happiness at having friends back yet also with resentment and bitter memories. Which in turn made Allene, Birdie and Jasper unreliable narrators to the power of ten, because in a mystery with murders aplenty, they were part of the pool of potential culprits just as much as other people at the engagement party.

There was a lot of unhealthy tension in this book, because of the characters’ past, and because of other secrets that got revealed later. Although in a way, I liked it, I wasn’t too keen on how it all unfurled; the characters weren’t very likeable, but for me that wasn’t even due to their personalities (I can enjoy a ‘non-likeable’ character), more to the fact they were somewhat inconsistent with what was told of them at first. For instance, Allene is presented as loving chemistry, but this didn’t play as much of a part as I expected (mostly she still remained the socialite totally oblivious to the people around her, unless what affected those people affected her as well). Perhaps Birdie was, all in all, the most consistent of all. I’m not sure where the line was, that line that would’ve made me like these characters more; it just didn’t click with me here.

The narrative, I think, was also poised between too little and too much. Part of me wanted more of the setting (New York, descriptions, parties, how the flu claimed people—horrifying symptoms, and so many deaths), yet at the same time, the setting plus the murders didn’t mesh fully, and the plot felt too convoluted when nearing the end. And, of course, what’s happening to Birdie—as the author mentioned at the end (and I agree), historical accuracy demanded there could be no closure on that specific point, but this means that, well, either you already know about that bit of history, or you don’t, and it makes no sense. Tricky.

Conclusion: It was an OK read for me: mildly entertaining in general, but not a gripping mystery. Here I preferred the setting to the characters.