logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: a-wonder-cats-mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-09 06:33
Six Cats a Slayin' (audiobook) by Miranda James, read by Erin Bennett
Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks Mystery) - Miranda James
Charlie has an uncomfortably flirtatious new neighbor, Gerry, who seems interested in buying up homes in the area. When she invites him to her big Christmas party, he decides to go in order to be polite but makes sure to take Helen Louise, his girlfriend, with him. Both of them are shocked when the party ends with Gerry's death, quite likely due to poison.

Kanesha's in charge of the investigation, and Charlie does his best to stay in her good graces by keeping his nose out of it. Mostly. It helps that he has a lot on his plate. His daughter-in-law is running herself ragged trying to take care of her new baby and might land herself in the hospital soon if she doesn't accept help. Also, in addition to Diesel, Charlie now has five mystery kittens to take care of. Someone, quite possibly a scared child, left them on his doorstep, and he's determined to find out who it was and see if they can be reunited.

Content warning for this book:
Transphobia, although not on the part of the main character or any of his friends.
(spoiler show)

The only other book I've read in this series was the first one. I normally like to read series in order when I can, but this was the only audiobook in this series that my library owned, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Honestly, skipping eight books wasn't too much of an issue. I could tell character relationships had changed: Kanesha has softened towards Charlie, Charlie now had a girlfriend, and his relationship with his son was better. There was even a part where Charlie thought back to what his life was like at the beginning of the series, so if there were any gaps in my memories of him and his relationships, they were filled in pretty neatly.

I read the paper version of the first book, so this was my first audiobook experience with the series. Bennett was a good cozy mystery narrator, but maybe not the best choice for this particular series, which features a first person male POV. Most of the secondary characters are female, so maybe that was a factor, but I still think a male narrator would have been better.

Anyway, now for the story itself. Oddly enough, the primary mystery seemed to be the kittens and the identity of the person who dropped them off. The murder was more secondary - although Charlie chatted with friends about it and did a little bit of research, he did mostly stay out of it, and as a result, most of the resolution happened off-page. While it was certainly a tragic story, I found it to be a bit weak.

The kitten storyline, on the other hand, was nice. Diesel got multiple opportunities to act as their adorable giant babysitter, and Charlie tried to resist being charmed by Ramses, the only one of the bunch with a distinct personality. I enjoyed Charlie's efforts to figure out who left the kittens, and the whole thing was resolved in a very warm and fuzzy way.

All in all, this made for a decent listen. I wish my library owned more audiobooks in this series, although thankfully I do own a used copy of Book 8 that I haven't read yet.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)
review 2016-09-18 02:40
PURR-FECT GETAWAY by Harper Lin
Purr-fect Getaway (A Wonder Cats Mystery) (Volume 5) - Harper Lin

Bea and Aunt Astrid kidnap Cath and take her on vacation to a spa. Weird things are occurring here. Cath sees things. A murder occurs and our ladies must try to figure out why and how to help.

I do not want Bea and Aunt Astrid to plan a vacation for me. Cath's vacation was a vacation from hell. So much happens to her and at the resort. Once again they have to get involved to protect civilians. Jake is also affected but does not want to tell Bea. Cath does meet someone at the resort but I don't like him. Blake is a jerk but does try to redeem himself. I hope Cath gives him a chance to at least explain. I don't feel the two of them are done with each other yet and I don't trust her new guy.

The story was interesting. It was scary this time as Cath, Bea, and Aunt Astrid go deeper into witch mode to discover what is happening and who is responsible and why. What they discover is chilling.

I hope there is another book as I don't feel these ladies are done with us yet.

review 2016-09-18 02:27
THE SCARIEST TAIL by Harper Lin
The Scariest Tail (A Wonder Cats Mystery) (Volume 4) - Harper Lin

John Roy has committed suicide and his wife said that two black eyed children came into the house to use the phone the night before his death. Astrid, Bea, and Cath know something is wrong and begin to research what it is and what to do to stop it. They realize someone has called a very powerful demon who feeds off fear. Can they stop it?

I was held enthralled by this tale. Evil is upon Wonder Falls and it is up to our heroines to sort it out. Cath is also getting closer to acknowledging her feelings for Blake. I loved watching the women and their cats fight back the evil. I enjoyed that Cath was not as well behaved as she should have and suffered the consequences for it. I am po'd at Blake. I'd like to smack him upside the head.

I love this series and cannot wait to read book 5.

review 2016-07-01 00:00
SweeneyUnt3-11: A Cats in Trouble Mystery
SweeneyUnt3-11: A Cats in Trouble Mystery - Leann Sweeney Dollycas’s Thoughts

I just love this series! I have no idea how I missed this book last year. It was the installment I had been waiting for.

Tom and Jillian are getting married! Tom’s stepson, Finn, is moving in with them, when not at college, along with his rat terrier, Yoshi. Finn is also adopting a very clever kitty from the Mercy Animal Sanctuary. While the kitten is cute as can be she is also a kleptomaniac and that has earned her the name of Magpie. She is an escape artist too. Tom and Jillian are going to have their hands full when added to their felines, Syrah, Merlot and Chablis.

The story starts out with Magpie trapped in an old love seat with a mysterious stain. Magpie has one her “treasures”, an old locket which Finn hopes can be returned to the owner. but a body found at a construction site takes top priority. So now Jillian and Tom have to add sleuthing to their list while trying to getting ready for the wedding. Maybe Magpie can help them find the killer.

Leann Sweeney writes stories where her characters shine, all her characters, human and animal. I fell head over heels for Magpie. A little ball of furry energy and a little thief
review 2016-07-01 00:00