logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: abortion
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2019-03-12 15:09
Recommended to lovers of Rock & Roll, music, and the 1970s rock scene.
Daisy Jones & The Six - Taylor Jenkins Reid

Thanks to NetGalley and to Random House UK, Cornerstone, for providing me an ARC copy of this book that I freely chose to review.

I kept seeing this book pop up all over when it came to recommendations of new releases and that made me curious. I also read that Reese Witherspoon had bought the rights to adapt it into a TV series, and the comments about the book made me think about the movie This Is Spinal Tap, although the musical genre is different (yes, it’s all Rock & Roll, baby) and the story is not intended as a parody, and all that together with the evocative cover, I knew I had to check it out.

This is one of those novels where I was intrigued to read what other reviewers had said, and, curiously enough, one of those where I could see the point of both, those who really loved the book, and also those who hated it. Somehow, I could see the merit on both types of opinions, and it really depends on the kinds of books you enjoy or not. A couple of provisos, here. Many of the reviews talk about the author, and especially refer to one of her previous books, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, which seems to be a well-loved novel, and for people who had loved that book, their expectations were very high, and some found this book too different (some fans of the writer also loved this book, so don’t let that put you off). I haven’t read any of the author’s previous novels, so I cannot help with that. After reading the reviews and this novel, I became curious about her other books, but I come to it without any previous knowledge. The second proviso is that quite a few people compare the ‘fiction’ band at the heart of the story, The Six, that is later joined by Daisy Jones, with Fleetwood Mac (with Daisy Jones then being a stand-in for Stevie Nicks), but I must confess not to know enough about the ins and outs of this band to be able to comment (I was quite young when they were at the height of their popularity, and I never read much about them, although having read a bit about them since, yes, I can see similarities, but I can also see differences). So, if you are a big fan of Fleetwood Mac, you might be more intrigued to read this novel, but you might also hate it. You’ve been warned.

So, what are the comments on both sides that I agree with? The way the story is told will not be to everybody’s taste. This is the story of the band, and of Daisy Jones, pieced together through interviews conducted many years after the band was created, and that makes it very fragmented. It does follow a chronological order, and we get to know about Daisy Jones, and about the Dunne Brothers (Billy and Graham), from before they got into singing, composing, and playing songs, and later on the rest of the members of the band, Camila (Billy’s girlfriend and later wife) and their manager also come into play. These fragments of interviews often refer to the same events, providing the reader different points of view, and sometimes completely different descriptions, but it can cause a disjointed effect, and it will suit some readers but others will hate it. Personally, I found it fun and quite dynamic, but it is true it does not immediately create a picture of what’s going on in one’s head, in the same way as more standard narratives do.

There were also a lot of comments about the characters, and how some of them were one-dimensional and it was difficult to tell them apart. As I have said before, the story starts with the origin of the band (we later learn why), and then we only get to hear from the rest of the members as they join the band or meet the other characters. For me, Pete, Eddie and Warren were not distinctive enough. Yes, Eddie always seemed to have issues with Billy and didn’t like his style of leading the band. Pete had a girlfriend in the East and he would phone her often, and Warren was the drum player, but other than that I’m not sure I got a strong impression of who they were, and when later in the book one of them wanted to leave the band, I realised that I must have been told two of them were brothers already, but because that hadn’t feature prominently anywhere (after all, the interview is about the band, their tours, and their records, and the questions asked are mostly about the time they spent together), it had not registered with me. Camila is talked about a lot, because many of Billy’s songs are about her, and although she seems to represent an old-fashioned model of femininity, the staying-at-home Mom, she gets involved at crucial points and she has a more important role than one might think when the story starts. I did feel that the female characters were the strongest, and although that did not make them immediately sympathetic and likeable, I thought they were the more complex and the ones I most enjoyed. I liked Karen (I’m not a musician, but I did feel a connection with her) the keyboard player, as well, and she is, perhaps, my favourite character. And I quite liked Daisy’s friend, Simone, also, although she is mostly portrayed as her friend, rather than being an individual in her own right, and that comes in part from her telling Daisy’s story and her role in it rather than giving us much insight into her own character. Although Daisy marries at some point, Simone is more of a steadying influence for her, like Camila is for Billy, than any of the men she meets and talks about in the book. But I agree, the way the story is told does not make for fully rounded characters, although many of the situations will feel familiar to people who have read a lot of biographies of rock & roll bands.

Some reviewers were disappointed by the ending, that perhaps feels more like a whimper than a bang, but I thought it made perfect sense, and yes, there is something I’ve seen described as a twist, that is perhaps not truly a twist, but it helps join everything together and adds a nice touch.

I am not an expert on music, and not a big follower of bands. I have not been to many concerts, although even with that, it is difficult not to have heard or read about the use of drugs, wild parties, hotel rooms trashed by bands on tour, groupies following bands from city to city, and the paraphernalia around the 1970s world of rock & roll music scene. There is plenty of that here, and also of envies, of fights, of creative differences, of the process of composing, creating, and editing an album, down to the shooting of the cover, that will delight people who really love the period and reading about it. Even I, who am not knowledgeable about it, enjoyed it, particularly learning more about the process of creation, although it might not sound authentic to people who truly know it. The writer gives the different characters (at least the main ones) distinct voices, and the lyrics of the songs, that are also included in full at the end, fit perfectly in with the band and its themes, and it made me keen on reading more of the author’s novels.

There is more than R & R to the book, or perhaps some of the themes seem inherently related to it, like drug addiction, family relations, alcoholism, abortion, fatherhood, bringing up children, the role of men and women in the family, child neglect and abuse… Although some of them are only mentioned in passing, we get a fuller picture of others (Daisy is very young when she leaves her parents and starts visiting bars, taking drugs, and engaging in behaviours that would be considered risky at a much older age, and drug and alcohol addiction and its consequences are discussed in detail), and readers must be cautious if they find those subjects upsetting.

I have talked a bit about the characters and said which my favourites are. In some ways, Billy and Graham are the most sympathetic to begin with. Their father abandon them when they are very young, and they work very hard, are talented, and support each other through thick and thin. However, when Billy becomes addicted to drugs and then gets sober and becomes the head of the band, he puts himself and his family first and is not always likeable (even if creatively he sounds interesting). Daisy, on the other hand, sounds at first like a rich-spoiled girl, but her family pays no attention to her, and she is in fact neglected. She is selfish and egotistical as well, but she has no role models or understanding. I liked her attitude, but not her in particular, at least at first, and her behaviour will be alien to most people (although typical of the image we might have in our head about what a rock star would be like). However, the way the story is told gives us the opportunity to read her later reflections and the way she now sees things and how she evaluates much of what she did at the time. And although I didn’t particularly like the Daisy of the period (she is described as a magnet to everybody who met her, but I never had the feeling I would have liked it if I had known her), I came to appreciate the older Daisy and her take on things.

What did I think of the book? I really enjoyed it. It panders to most of our standard images of what the life of a rock & roll band would have been like at that time, but it gives an insight into parts of the process that I found interesting. It also creates some credible female characters that have made their own decisions and fought their own fights, and in the world of music that is not always easy to find. The way of telling the story worked for me, although I know it won’t work for everybody. I highlighted a lot of the story, so much so that I decided to leave it to readers to check a sample and get a sense of the narrative style. Does it deserve the hype? Well, perhaps not for me, but it’s a good read and I can see why it will captivate some readers more than it did me. Oh, and for those who love audiobooks, I’ve read very good reviews of the audio version, and I understand that there is a full cast of narrators and each character is voiced by a different person, so it is worth considering.

If you are a rock & roll fan and enjoy trips down memory lane, especially to the 1970s, I’d recommend this book. And I hope to explore further novels written by the same author.

Like Reblog
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-11-29 18:18
Have an easy access to terminate your pregnancy with Mifeprex pill

If you have an unplanned pregnancy, then you need to choose between surgical and medical termination. Most of the females buy abortion pills if they have less than 8 weeks of pregnancy as this method helps you to terminate the pregnancy. In surgical process, women need to make a visit to the clinics and spend the additional cost to have a termination and this FDA approved medicines are the one which is the easiest and safest method to have a termination. Termination pills are the one which can help you end the pregnancy without anyone’s assessment.

Mifeprex is one of the pills which contain Mifepristone as an active ingredient. This medicine helps you to terminate the pregnancy at home corners. This pill is used mostly in combination so that it helps to have a successful termination.

Work mechanism:

Mifeprex 200mg 3 pills are used so that it can help to have a termination. This pill helps to break the lining of the uterus so that it can help the fetus to get separated from the uterus. Once the fetus is being separated from the uterus, it becomes easy for the pregnancy parts to get expelled after the uterus gets contracted.

If you are using this abortion pill in combination:

You need to gulp 1 pill of Mifeprex as this pill helps to break the lining of the uterus so that the fetus can get separated from the uterus. After 24 hours you can use Misoprostol pill so that it helps you to evict the pregnancy parts of the body.

Limitations for using abortion pills:

Before you buy online Mifeprex for use make sure that you do fit in the criteria to use this pregnancy termination pill. Women having a medical history related to liver, kidney, heart, uterine rupture and intestinal infection should stay away from the use of this medicine. Women those who are allergic to the ingredients of this pill should avoid the use of this medicine. If the age of women is more than 35 years, then she needs to make sure that they stay away from the use of this Mifeprex pill. If the gestation period is more than 8 weeks, then you need to seek advice from the healthcare expert.

Side effects:

Bleeding, cramping, clotting, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and diarrhea are the side effects that you can experience and hence it is necessary that you need to seek a medical help if these side effects get worse. Other than this if you experience any of the side effects than you need to make sure that you treat these side effects.

Precautions:

Mifeprex pill online is the best medicine and hence it is necessary that you do not use any of the pills that interacts with many other abortion pills. Sanitary pads should be used if you are having a pregnancy termination as this Mifeprex pill results in heavy bleeding and can be managed with maxi pads and not with tampons. Risk of infection is always there and using tampons can sometimes lead to infection.

review 2018-08-17 18:59
Termination of pregnancy has become easy with Generic RU486

Medical termination is one of the safest methods which women can use to terminate the unwanted pregnancy. Medical termination is performed as per instructions and also the process can be easily performed at home corners. To have a safe termination at home corners women are prescribed to order online abortion pills and use this medicine at home corners safely. These drugs are safe to use and are FDA approved hence women use this pregnancy termination pill safely for termination. This medical termination process can easily be used if your gestation period is up to 7 weeks.

Women to terminate 7 weeks of pregnancy using the Generic RU486 pill as this medicine is used primarily to have a termination. This abortion pill contains Mifepristone as an active ingredient and this medicine helps to break the lining of the uterus so that pregnancy parts can get expelled. This anti-progesterone pill first breaks the lining of the uterus and then separates the fetus from the uterus so that pregnancy parts can get expelled. This pill further helps to contract the uterus so that the fetus can get expelled from the body.

You need to gulp 3 Generic RU486 pills so that it can lead to termination. This abortion pill if is used in combination then you need to gulp one pill of this Mifepristone pill and 4 pills of Cytotec and Misoprostol.

There are rare cases of incomplete termination due to only use of Generic RU486 hence this medicine is used in combination with Misoprostol or Cytotec so that you can have a successful termination. Many of the women are prescribed by doctors to have an ultrasound test as this can help the women to conclude the termination of pregnancy.

Before you buy Generic RU486 online you need to make sure that you do not have any of the medical issues related to liver, kidney, uterine rupture and intestinal infection. Women those who are allergic to Mifepristone or any other ingredient of this abortion pill should stay away from the use of this termination pill. In case women have the intrauterine device in the body than they are suggested to remove the device first and then use this termination pill for use. The generic RU486 pill should not be used if women, those who carry an ectopic pregnancy.

Generic RU486 pill results in symptoms like bleeding, cramping and clotting and these symptoms indicate that termination process is going. Other than these symptoms you can have side effects like nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and diarrhea and in case if these side effects get severe then you need to seek a medical help.

Generic RU486 pill reacts with many of the medicines so make sure that you do not use any of the pills that reacts with this termination pill. Magnesium reacts with this abortion pill hence you are suggested to avoid the use of these pills. Use of sanitary pads instead of tampons should be avoided so that you can avoid having the risk of having infections.

review 2018-08-10 20:52
Choose you abortion pills rationally to remain safe and confident

Medical abortion is famous and this is one of such method that is used for getting an abortion in the abortion clinics as well as can be used to get an abortion at home. The woman who knows the correct protocol of getting an abortion can get it easily done at home. This way the woman who is supposed to have a confidential abortion can undergo t easily.

There are a few methodologies that are supposed to be followed so that the abortion process is executed in a safe and efficient manner.

If you plan to buy Abortion Pills online you should be clear about a few things which are necessary to be followed before you can get an abortion

• You should not have an ectopic pregnancy (get an ultrasound done to clarify your doubts)
  • You should not suffer from the problem of undiagnosed and irregular bleeding.
  • You should not be suffering from the problem of an irregular heartbeat or problem of liver, kidney or lungs.

Once you are clear with all these problems you can take the pregnancy termination pills and easily get a medical abortion.

Now when you have known the pre-steps of taking the Abortion Pills to get at home abortion you should also know that which Abortion Pill to take according to your pregnancy age. If you are allergic to either Mifepristone or Misoprostol then you should take the alternative one.

If you are taking the IUD device then you should remove it as this will increase the pain during the process of abortion. You can take the Mifepristone and Misoprostol pill together to get an abortion and you can take either of the pills. When you do it with the help of the Mifepristone you should do it within 7 weeks of the gestation period. In the case of both Mifepristone and Misoprostol, you can take both the pills till the 9th week. In the case of only Misoprostol, it can be taken till 12 weeks.

When you buy Abortion Pill online USA you should make sure that you buy the exact number of Abortion Pills and you do not take any other medicines that contain magnesium or take grapefruit along with that.

When you start with the abortion process you should start it with the Mifepristone pills and then this should be taken orally and ingested as a whole with the glass of water. You should then take the Misoprostol Abortion Pills. You can take 4 Misoprostol at a time and you can take these medicines buccally by keeping then in your cheek pouch and allowing it to get dissolved easily with saliva without water. Once the Abortion Pills get entirely dissolved you can take the glass of water.

Side-effects:

You can face a bit of problem with the side-effects like you may suffer from the problem of nausea or vomiting while the process of abortion and then you can also face the problem of fever or suffer from the problem of diarrhea but you should know that these are the side-effects that are transient and this will decrease within the period of time.

review 2018-07-14 19:04
Safe early pregnancy termination with Cytotec pill

Women’s reproductive organ is the best designed which is able to deal with pregnancy. Pregnancy is one of the best parts of women's lives and due to some or other reasons. Women buy Abortion Pills online to have a safe medical termination at home corners. Surgical termination is not opted by women as this is the scary and expensive method of terminating the pregnancy. Medical termination is the suggested way in which women choose and this recommended way of termination is used to have a first-trimester abortion.

Women use Cytotec pill to have a safe pregnancy termination and this is the best medication used for pregnancy termination. Cytotec Abortion Pill contains Misoprostol and you need to use 4 pills of this medication. Most these pregnancy termination pills are used in combination. This pill for pregnancy termination is used buccally and you need to dissolve these pills in your mouth with the help of saliva for the consumption process. This medication helps to shed the uterus lining so that that pregnancy part can get separated from the uterus. Also, this medication contracts the womb, so that pregnancy parts are dispelled. This pregnancy termination pill alone can also lead to abortion and this is the best way of terminating the pregnancy.

After you buy Cytotec online and use it you need to have an ultrasound test. Sometimes due to using this abortion alone, the pregnancy cannot get terminated completely and also some of the retained parts are left inside your body. Hence, to make sure that no retained parts are left inside your body you need to have an ultrasound test.

Cytotec pill results in abortion side effects like bleeding, cramping, clotting, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and fatigue. This symptom can even get severe and you need to seek a medical help if these side effects get worse. Diarrhea is one of the effects which are experienced after two weeks of having a pregnancy termination and to stay away from the dehydration you need to consume plenty of fluids.

This pill for pregnancy termination should not be used by the women, those who are allergic to Misoprostol or any other ingredient in this pregnancy termination pill. If women are having any of the medical issues related to liver, kidney, diabetes, blood pressure, uterine rupture and intestinal infection, then they need to avoid the use of this medication for pregnancy termination. Women those who carry an ectopic pregnancy should make that they do not use this medication for pregnancy termination as it may create some complications. Cytotec pill should be used after removing the intrauterine device if it is placed in your body.

Many of the medicines react with this Cytotec pregnancy termination pill so make sure that you do not consume any of the medication that reacts with this Abortion Pills. Alcohol and smoking while on this pregnancy termination pill should be strictly avoided as it may lead to heavy vaginal bleeding. Tampons should be strictly avoided while on this medication and sanitary pads should be used. Physical labor and sexual intercourse should be avoided so that you can avoid the side effects. Tough this is one of the recommended medications you need to make sure that your gestation period is not more than 7 weeks.