logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-25 15:25
RELEASE BLITZ & REVIEWS - Chiromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts #8) by Charmaine Pauls
Chiromancist - Charmaine Pauls
Chiromancist is the eighth book in the Seven Forbidden Arts series, and we get to spend time with Bono - the wise-cracking pilot who has been there from the very beginning. Bono doesn't have an art, but he is still very much a member of the team. When they go to Amsterdam to investigate the possibility of a Chiromancist working for Godfrey, he will do what he can to help. Then he meets Sky, and he will still do what he can, but now his priorities include keeping Sky alive.

WOW!!! This book is... harsh. It is an emotional power pack that will hit you on so many levels. And I loved every moment!

We learn more about Bono, we learn about Sky, and we learn about Sky's quiet strength and determination, the things she puts up with to keep her son safe. Godfrey's big plan becomes clear, whilst Cain's ultimate motives are still as shadowed as ever. I love his character. He is working for the ultimate good, but you are never quite sure... and neither are the rest of the characters. Love it.

I could rave on and on about this book. I devoured it, loved every word, and hated every paragraph with certain characters in it with a passion. This book is exceptionally written, with no editing or grammatical errors to disrupt the reading flow. You will suffer the lows whilst appreciating the highs that Charmaine Pauls gives you. Whilst you could read this as a standalone, I really can't see why you would want to - when you have seven brilliant books preceding it. Highly recommended by me.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

, ,, ,

Source: archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2017/04/release-blitz-reviews-chiromancist.html
review 2017-04-24 21:16
Woosa
Maybe Someday - Colleen Hoover

I had to take several deep breaths while reading this book. I was irate. I spared everyone from status updates because it looks like a lot of readers felt the way I did.

"Maybe Someday" is dealing with two people who randomly come together after starting to text each other. Sydney is living with her friend and roommate (Tori) and often goes on her balcony to listen to a boy she doesn't know play his guitar (Ridge). Soon we find out that Ridge is stuck with writer's block and can't come up with lyrics for the songs he is playing. So he starts holding up signs to Sydney since he notices her always singing along to his music. Yes, Sydney is such a musical genius she can listen to musical notes and come up with pitch perfect lyrics. So the two start a weird friendship.

Sydney though is happy with her long time boyfriend (Hunter) but still has doubts. All doubts are erased though when she finds out he's been cheating. And due to the most ridiculous thing ever, she ends up moving in with Ridge and his other two roommates. I still want to know where these people live that they have a four bedroom apartment. Scratch that, I don't care.

Anyway, Sydney has no money and no place to live (I can't recall why) and agrees to live with Ridge and not pay rent as long as she's helping him write lyrics.

And of course love. But hold up, Ridge has the most awesome girlfriend ever (Maggie) and now Ridge is torn between Maggie and Sydney.

Hoover chooses to tell this in alternating POV's which of course showcase Ridge and Sydney.

First things first, the two leads suck. I hated Ridge and Sydney. They are terrible as hell and self absorbed. I had moments when I wanted to smack the crap out of both of them since they fought so hard to not be attracted to each other. Yeah, not really. They both act childish if the other one pays attention to anyone else of the opposite sex.

I disliked Ridge because he lies about even having a girlfriend until Sydney finds out about it and he acts totally surprised about why is she mad. Frankly, I wish that Hoover had explored that more.  Why is Sydney mad? Men and women can shocker, be friends and if one or both are in relationships then you can't be mad that a guy you are thinking about is dating someone else. Can I also say that Sydney has been broken up with her boyfriend for like 3 days at this point so I rolled my eyes at how hearbroken she supposedly was.

There is of course an incident. And frankly once again I think Hoover tried to soft pedal it so that you would root for Frick and Frack to get together. I kept hoping they both die in a weird accident with an epilogue from Maggie's POV. Too bad.

Back to Ridge and Sydney, they are both overwrought as hell talking about how their hearts are being ripped out and their souls are being torn in half. I am not kidding people. That is a good majority of the book.

The thing that gets me is that Sydney acts like an even bigger ass when the truth comes out and people notice what is going on with her and Ridge showing everyone their "feelings."

I liked Maggie, Warren, and Bridgette (sadly) and that was it. Maggie deserved better and honestly I hated how Hoover ended this with pretty much Maggie being more of a grown up and honest person then these two yahoos. I hated that Hoover tried to show some parallels between how Maggie and Ridge got together and nope, didn't buy it at all. Warren was the only grown-up considering how Hoover portrayed him.

The writing was not my favorite. The flow was all messed up too. I think it was because of the fact that Hoover kept including song lyrics throughout this book. I didn't care for any of them. And didn't get musical genius for the words that the character of Sydney was writing. Probably because I could not hear the music. And as I said above. Once Sydney and Ridge acknowledge their feelings for each other each of their POVs become more and more over the top about their feelings I think that even Romeo and Juliet would tell them to take it down a notch.

The setting of the book was pretty much their apartment.

The ending was a joke.

Ridge "chooses" Sydney. But that's after Maggie dumps him. I did laugh. I wish that Maggie had sent Sydney an email saying yeah I gave him to you. Enjoy until another girl comes along.

(spoiler show)
review 2017-04-24 17:07
REMEDIAL MAGIC by JENNA BLACK
Remedial Magic - Jenna Black

Short story

Veronica's job is to help out people that appear to be part of fairytales with whatever violent means she needs. Lots of action for such a short story.

review 2017-04-24 17:03
FIRST FROST by JENNIFER ESTEP
First Frost - Jennifer Estep

Short story

I keep saying that I'm not into young adult books but I need to stop because I keep getting surprised by how good they are. I'm 50+ years old for goodness sake so I shouldn't enjoy reading about high school students but this author has done such a good job that I'll definitely be reading more of this series. 5 out of 5 stars.

review 2017-04-24 11:14
Tales of the Peculiar
Tales of the Peculiar - Andrew Davidson,Ransom Riggs

In much the same spirit as J.K. Rowlings The Tales of Beedle the Bard, this is meant to be a companion book of the fairy tales that peculiars learned as part of their peculiar folklore in the series Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The book is structured as authentically as possible, from the copyright page to the annotations by the editor/author/compiler of the stories, Millard Nullings, a name that might be familiar to the fans of Miss Peregrine's.

The stories themselves really are morality tales and suitable for non-peculiar children too, no matter what Nullings claims (although i didn't try to read the third one backwards, out loud, so I can't speak as to the authenticity of his dire warnings).  Some of them work better than others, just like most collections of stories, but most of them were good and a couple were great.  A few petered out before they could get started.

My favourites were probably The Splendid Cannibals and the Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares.

The book is beautifully illustrated and it's definitely something I'd read to my nieces when they get a little bit older.

Page count: 160