logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-25 04:12

Rating: Five
Review:

"Pieces of Happiness" by Anne Ostby

My Thoughts ...

This author really give the readers quite one interesting read..."Piece of Happiness." I thought is was really one good read having these six people, five that had been friends since high school in Norway come visit and then live together [after the death of her Niklas, her husband] on a cocoa plantation in Fiji in the South Pacific with each one having there own story that was really intriguing to say the least. Oh, the sixth woman was Kat's housekeeper...Ateca who was so very understanding of each of these ladies. I loved her prayers for God to watch over everyone as the prayers seemed to 'mark the change in the chapters and even the narration from each of the women.'

I loved the invitation that was sent to each one of these ladies who were know in their sixties....

“I’ve planted my feet on Fijian earth and I intend to stay here until the last sunset. Why don’t you join me? Leave behind everything that didn’t work out!”

Will they be able to 'leave their worries, mistakes and problems back in Norway?' No, they hadn't stayed in touch but know would they be willing to start all over and 'come up with plans of a new future in this beautiful cocoa plantation?' How different this would be for these ladies who had difficulties of their own to come to this beautiful place that had much to offer with many highs and well as lows but in the end the readers will give one good story that will give one reason to ponder long after the read. I loved the characters...Kat, Ingrid, Maya, Sina and Lysbeth who all had 'secrets and hopes that had been keep hidden' so will they be able to stop and redefine just what they wanted in their life now? Will they be willing to rediscover their past friendships and even themselves?
All while I was reading this novel I keep thinking what would it be like to have friends like these!

This was definitely a wonderful and enjoyable read about a enduring 'friendship and second chances just to be happy' that I would definitely recommend. In the end all that is left to say is that hopefully we can all have this in our lives. This story was very well done by this author.

Thanks to NetGalley for a pre-publication copy to review.

review 2017-07-24 16:17
BLOG TOUR, REVIEW & #GIVEAWAY - It Could Happen by Mia Kerick
It Could Happen - Mia Kerick

It Could Happen tells the story of three friends, a misfit triad who really, according to High School's rules, shouldn't have anything to do with each other. You have Henry, the jock, who above all else is a pleaser. You have Brody, an adrenaline junkie/rich boy. And then there is Danny, emo dude with bad taste in men.

NOW, there is a hint at the beginning that Henry is having 'thoughts' about these friends of his, but he doesn't say anything as he doesn't want to upset the status quo. Brody is the one who never thought of them as anything other than friends, but once he makes his mind up, he's willing to give it a go. And Danny - Danny is the one they do it for, to save him from himself and his inability to stay away from people that are 'bad' for him. However, he is usually the first one to disappear, even though he is the only one who was actually "out". Henry and Brody weren't out, in Brody's case they didn't even consider that they liked males that way, but Brody doesn't have any issues with showing public affection. It is Brody though who ends up alone as Henry deals with a personal crisis, and Danny is of the opinion that if Henry doesn't want you, neither do I.

The premise of this story is a good one, and one that I thought I would thoroughly enjoy. I think the thing that detracted it for me was the lack of connection or why are they doing this with the main characters. Apart from looking after Danny, there seemed to be no other reason, really. And, I'm afraid to say, the second thing for me was the style of writing. For me, Brody's was the only clear 'voice', whilst Henry with his My Life just became annoying. Danny you didn't really hear much from, apart from a few lines of beautifully written poetry. On the whole, I did enjoy this book, but it felt a tad disjointed to me. A lack of cohesion between the main characters.

If you are looking for a three-way M/M/M story, and you want something that is a bit different, then I heartily recommend you give this one a go.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2017/07/blog-tour-review-giveaway-it-could.html
review 2017-07-23 14:48
Review: Dream of a Waking Man (Tales from Foster High #10) by John Goode
Dream of a Waking Man - John Goode

*** A copy of Dream of a Waking Man was kindly provided by the Author in exchange for an honest review.

I dunno but after I finish one of John’s books of the Tales from of Foster High, I just need a moment to gather my thoughts.

I agree with Sonia (See Sonia's review) that I think this particular series should be read at High Schools and not only the American ones. Mostly of course for all these LGBT kids. They need to know that they are not alone in this fight but also I’m a strong believer in educating everyone about anything outside of what we know. Stupidity / bigotry comes from this ignorance of not knowing.

I feel it our obligation to educate ALL people to know what it is to be gay in this world, to be marginalized to that extend that we can hide behind our beliefs and not think as them as humans.

Look this boy, this fourteen-year-old boy, in the eyes and tell him why he isn't your equal. Just stare into the camera and tell this kid why he's a second class citizen.”

“Not so easy, is it?”

“You can sit there looking smug and judgmental, but when you have to look the kid in the face it's another matter, right?
This is why there are butchers in the world; if people had to kill their own meat we'd all be vegetarians. This isn't an abstract, ma'am, and it isn't some political game with the winner getting the most points.

~~ Brad

So let’s get on with Kyle & Brad;
I think we all agree we think of this series in the term of ”What would Kyle do?”
And as much as I adore Kyle, I was very impressed with Brad in how he became this amazing grown up. Being this supportive partner to Kyle, understanding and dealing with his craziness , was a pleasure to watch.

John did an amazing good job with these men growing up into the fine men they are today. Their relationship is admirable.

I laughed my ass off seeing how they dealt with each other’s knick-knacks.

See, he knows I'm mad and I'm about to go all Jessica Fletcher on him.
He knows I am about to go all postal on him and he's waiting. So in some weird Kyle logic that's what he wants. If I push it, that gives him permission to get all defensive and move further back away from the topic.

So the answer here is to ignore it.

After being together all of these years, Kyle thinks it’s his turn to support Brad in fulfilling his dream. So he’s taken a step back but Brad is not happy Kyle is not doing what he's supposed to. Not being the boy he fell in love with in high school.

You're my superhero, you know that.”

“I'm not that guy anymore.”

“You're always that guy to me.”

Then Kyle gets this e-mail and it scares him. But this might just be the thing he needs to get him back out there. Brad will push him cause he knows Kyle and Kyle will never be as happy as when he’s out there making the world a better place. So finally Kyle accepts this cry for help from this kid Jackson and goes to Paddington, Texas.

Now I don’t want to spoil much plot wise cause Ya’ll really need to read this book yourself PRONTO. But Kyle and Brad kept me on my feet. What they were doing was great!

BOTH men are doing what they are supposed to. And again we already knew what Kyle was capable off but Brad.... Kyle was as enamoured with Brad as I was.

You're damn right I'm pissed; I'm pissed I wasted all that time talking, when you do it a lot better than I do.” [Kyle]

~~

“Brad, listen to me. You're insanely good at this, I know you want to be a coach and everything, but this, this is your calling. You are making choices that guys with eight years of business school under them would pause at. I've always known you were this guy; I'm just glad other people can see it now.”

“But this is your thing.” I started to argue.

He looked at me like he was ready to slap me.

“My thing? What? Being smart? Being a professional? Being good at my job? If you've been doing this because you think I need to be the smart one or because I like making decisions, you're wrong. I love seeing you like this, love it. I don't want you to follow me, I want you to walk beside me and make these choices with me.”

So yeah, Ya’ll gonna swoon a lot in this book.

We get to be re-introduced with some old friends. Josh and Jennifer. And also my all time-favorite-kinda-guy Robbie with Sebastian.

“He's fine. Please go and soak yourself in turpentine until that smell goes away and scrape your face for Gaga's sake. You look like the world’s youngest lumberjack.”

~ Robbie to Brad

*don’t you just love the guy? ♡♡♡

Rests me to mention the finale…. Cause it then comes full circle for me.
THIS is what Kyle and Brad’s future will and must become. I’m so excited how this will work out.

”Do you want to move back to Foster and
NOT GONNA SAY, READ IT!!!

(spoiler show)

“I want to change things, Brad, really change them."

“Do YOU want to move back to Foster?”

“You know I do, but more importantly, I want you to find your dream and chase it.”

He leaned in and hugged me. “This isn't a dream,” he said, kissing me. “This is me wide awake.

P.S. Sorry Sonia, but I had to end the same way. Cause yeah it was perfect!!

Thanks John for giving us these boys which now have become fine men.

*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

review 2017-07-22 23:47
The Devil in the Junior League
The Devil in the Junior League - Linda Francis Lee

The Devil in the Junior League

Starring...

Miss Piggy

Snooki

And that weird, snooty girl in glasses you went to high school with...

Also starring:

And the entire cast of

I deducted half a star despite how much I loved this ridiculous book because it was riddled with grammatical errors. But wow, this was so bad/good I couldn't help but enjoy it. If you enjoy some high Texan society drama you should pick this up. So funny.

review 2017-07-21 16:02
The Mage King (The Ice Queen #2) by Rebecca Bauer
The Mage King - Rebecca Bauer
The Mage King is the second book in The Ice Queen series, and we return to see what Aria and Cas are up to, two years after we last saw them. They are now proud parents of Elena, although Cas seems to have taken to it a bit easier than Aria has done. They have worked hard for peace, but it seems like the mages are up to their tricks again. Not only that, but the magic of the mages seems to be failing. It becomes apparent that those who are not having problems (like Cas) may have a different blood line than others. Not only that, but King Liam from the west is making his way eastwards, and no one is quite sure why.

So much happens in this book, and yet it is easy to follow and is not unnecessarily complicated. Aria and Cas continue to go from strength to strength, no matter what is thrown at them. Their love and trust in each other is a strength that others just don't understand, and yet I adore it! They are not saccharine sweet, one of the things I love about Aria is her razor-sharp tongue, but are unfailing honest and loyal although they both play the deception/political game with style and finesse.

I refuse to give out any spoilers about this book. Trust me, you will want to immerse yourself in the Ice Realm, along with the other places, just like you did with The Ice Queen. I will say that there were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. Once again, this is an exceptional adult fantasy that I highly recommend.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

#Adult, #Fantasy, @Xpresso Reads, 5 out of 5 (exceptional)

Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/theicequeen12byrebeccabauer