logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-18 05:41
Play me
The Player Gets Coached (Bachelor #2) - Janet Nissenson

This is book #2 in the Bachelor series.  This can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this series in order.

Finn is disturbed that he is the only one who has not traditionally grown up.  He finds a woman he is interested in, and she is a maneater of the skilled kind.  How does he show her he can be her match?

Delilah is not impressed by first sighting of Finn.  She is not wanting to date a manwhore who can never make up his mind what he wants in a woman.  They clash and it is like the player must learn to be played.

This story was pretty slow.  The beginning has a lot of back story and the characters are rich and colorful.  I enjoyed the banter and the high heat factor.  Was a great addition to the series, and a good read.  I give this a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

review 2018-10-15 17:40
Thoughts: Secret Admirer
Secret Admirer - Cynthia Eden

Secret Admirer

by Cynthia Eden

For some strange reason, I dropped another book from the 'Romantic Suspense' Halloween Bingo square and replaced it with Secret Admirer.  I don't know why, but I guess I was hoping that I'd find another Cynthia Eden novel I'd come to really like.  I suppose I would be more disappointed if I hadn't then decided to shuffle the initial book I'd considered reading onto a different Bingo square.

But that's a moot point.

I'm actually rambling because I needed a couple paragraphs to start off this post.  Secret Admirer has a summary blurb that is six paragraphs long, and sort of just takes you in circles, repeating itself a couple times.  So I needed a lead-in to basically tell everyone that here is my own half-assed summary of the book.

The Story
Alice May's fiancé, Hugh, died on their wedding day... the same day that she found out he was the infamous Secret Admirer, a serial killer who had murdered five other women, all who looked eerily similar to Alice in appearance.  A year later, Alice has left her home and is trying to start her life over, away from the stigma of having been engaged to a monster.

Along comes Zander Todd, a neighbor in a nearby cabin who has been helping her out whenever something in her home breaks.  What Alice doesn't know is that Zander is an FBI agent, assigned to get close to her and find out what she knows or might know about her deceased fiancé.  Because another murder has recently occurred, in the same fashion as the Secret Admirer killings from a year previous, and the FBI think that Alice might have had more to do with those killings than she'd admitted to.  That maybe she had participated and is picking up where her fiancé left off.

But as Zander and Alice begin to form a closer, more intimate bond, it seems that the real killer has set his sights on Alice now.  And so in order to keep her safe, Zander will have to admit his reasons for getting close to Alice in the first place, no matter that his intentions are no longer just part of his undercover act.

My Thoughts
There were two factors working against this book.

First of all, Cynthia Eden has already written this story once before in Die For Me - A Novel of the Valentine Killer.  Secret Admirer is essentially the same story with a different twist, but a lot of similar scenes.  Even one of the surprise twists in the end was pretty, unapologetically similar.  There were a few differences, such as the killer's media dubbed name, or how our hero and heroine meet.  But some other factors, such as the description of how the 'Secret Admirer' killed his victims, or staged their bodies seemed to echo the 'Valentine Killer.'  I couldn't get past how similar both books were.

Second of all, this book felt rushed.  Even if I had read this one before Die For Me, I probably would have found it mediocre at best because of how abrupt and over-dramatic it was written.  The romance was rushed and the ending resolution was rushed.  The conclusion was pretty predictable and I felt like our killer pretty much walked in with neon signs pointing at him--he was hard to miss.

Simply put, if more thought had been put into this book, like maybe giving us a better look at how our hero and heroine bonded for the past couple months before slinging the "I love you's" around, or even giving me a reason why our heroine, Alice, would so easily trust another man again after what she'd gone through with her fiance, I probably would have been a bit more accepting.  Simply citing that Zander is "just different" doesn't really cut it for me.  In essence, we were told that the two got to know each other over a course of two months, but we don't get to see any of that--only those first chapters where Zander flirts with Alice, promises that he's not out to hurt her, then she just automatically trusts him, and then they jump into bed together.

I wanted more from them than that, honestly.

On a side note, I will openly admit to being a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz and Jill Shalvis, two authors who's books are pretty much the same formulaic romances over and over again.  It sounds like I'm being contradictory, but in the case of JAK or Shalvis, I always come back to their books because they are charming and attractive in spite of their ever recycled material.

It's unfortunate that aside from being an echo of Die For Me, Secret Admirer was also not actually written all that well.  If it had been, I might have just mentioned the similarities briefly, and then moved onto talking about other parts of the book.  I have a pretty high tolerance for things like this.

Die For Me wasn't even really one of my favorite Cynthia Eden novels, truth be told, and I had found the heroine pretty depressing.  So this makes Secret Admirer doubly frustrating, because it just echoes a book I'd already read before, but didn't really care too much for, and doesn't improve on it.  Alice is no different from the heroine of Die For Me, so by default, that makes Die For Me the better novel because it was a bit more fleshed out than Secret Admirer, which is a disappointing, really.  I've been looking for another great Cynthia Eden book ever since her Deadly trio, which I had found very enjoyable and hard to put down--I still haven't found another Cynthia Eden work like that.

Fortunately, this book was extremely bite-sized and it didn't take long to breeze through it.

On a another side note, while writing this review, I had a moment wherein I couldn't remember the heroine's name.  Mere hours after finishing the book, and I could not conjure the heroine's name and had to go look it up.  This is how unforgettable this book is going to be to me...

Halloween Bingo 2018
(any romance which has a significant sub-plot that involves mystery, thriller, or suspense)

Other possible squares:  New Release; Genre: Suspense; Terrifying Women; Murder Most Foul

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2018/10/thoughts-secret-admirer.html
review 2018-10-15 05:04
Aware
Out In The End Zone - Lane Hayes

This is book #2 in the Out In College series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding of the series, and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this series in order.

Evan and Mitch have mutual friends.  They are often at parties and places together with their friends in common.  When Mitch's project gives them reason to be together more often, Evan jumps at the chance.

Mitch is not sure what to think.  He is grateful he has found someone open enough to the possibilities that he can finally get the test results for his project to be done.  At the same time, he is incredibly attracted to Evan.

This to me, is a wonderful add to the series, as well as this author's finest book yet.  I found the characters charming.  Their story felt very real.  I sure hope this is made into a movie.  Would love to see this on the big screen.  I give this a 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2018-10-14 23:21
City of Brass
The City of Brass - S.A. Chakraborty

First, I would like to say I am glad I had someone read this to me, because some of these names, locations and titles were incomprehensible to me.

Now, as for the story, I loved the imagery. The vibrant world and history. But I found this plot wordy and dense. And when it was over, I was also left with a whole lot of unanswered questions. It seemed the plot meandered and snaked, which wouldn't normally be bad. But in this case, I felt like sometimes it forgot what it was trying to convey.

The characters were at least varied. We had the leading man, the womanizing secretly gay prince, the uptight warrior, the political king, the snobby princess. This book covered the whole gamete.

If there is a second in this series, I don't know if I will bother with it.

Edit: This is a trilogy. The second is called The Kingdom of Copper, and from the blurb I'm not interested much at all.

review 2018-10-13 23:57
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
The Scorch Trials - James Dashner

I have mixed feelings about this book. Yes, it was so good, I had to read one chapter after another, but I'm also really confused. I'm not sure I liked it. Does it make any sense? How do I rate it?

I've been thinking about it. I liked the excitement and new characters. The story was well paced and the setting just as spooky or even more than in the first book. But still, I'm confused, and I don't like it - the confusion, and the fact I have to wait a few months until the third book is being translated into Estonian. Because I started it in my mother tongue, I'm going to finish the series in my mother tongue as well.
I still have my doubts but here and now 4 stars. You can be sure that five minutes from now it would be 3 stars. I am confused :(