logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: adults-only
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-14 16:41
Review: The Wayward Astronomer by Geoffrey Thomas

34644108

Hal Adhil and Miri Rodgers are best friends. They spend their days working at a small observatory in the Starfall Mountains beyond the metropolis of Anduruna. Miri is the only person Hal trusts to understand a dangerous secret: Hal can see all wavelengths of light. Hal uses his superpower only when they are free from prying eyes that could report them to the authorities.

The lives of Hal and Miri quickly change one night, however, when a meteor crashes into the nearby mountains. When they set out to retrieve the fallen star, it quickly becomes apparent that things are not what they seem. What appeared to be an ordinary meteor is in fact a strange power source that Hal and Miri are not the only ones looking for. In order to rescue his closest companion, Hal must not only unravel a mystery that has eluded his people for ages, but also face unsavory characters from his own past. Can Hal, the Wayward Astronomer, harness his supernatural powers to rescue his friend before time runs out?

review 2017-07-28 11:33
The Goblins of Bellwater
The Goblins of Bellwater - Molly Ringle

by Molly Ringle

Modern fairytales seem to be a rising trend and some good stories are coming out of it. This one read much like a traditional fairytale as far as language and sentence structure goes, but it had some original elements like goblins using iPhones and other modern devices. I was finding it rather charming until near the end of the first chapter an F-bomb spoiled it for me.

I'm not a prude or easily shocked, but I had been thinking this would be a lovely story for adults and children alike up to that point and it served no purpose to the story except maybe to add some shock value. Was it worth making it unsuitable for children? I didn't think so until I saw the direction the plot would take.

The story continues in an enchanting style for a while, drawing the reader into the human interactions with the goblins. It takes a sinister turn just as the f-bombing starts again and then a set up for an apparent romance angle.

The significance of the human characters to the goblins all clicks into place by 20% and I started enjoying the original premise, despite the teenage-like relationships. It comes out that the characters are actually in their twenties and becomes decidedly sexual by about a third in, so any thoughts of sharing with children are out the window. I'll give it credit for stopping at 'sensual' rather than turning into graphic erotica, which I hadn't signed on for.

By this time the story has become about the humans and the goblins are left behind. They appear again periodically, but the fairytale atmosphere gives way to a Romance story. Readers of that genre may enjoy this more than I did. It went in a different direction than I expected and my interest waned accordingly.

The writing itself is good so I can't fault it, it just wasn't for me.

review 2017-01-15 19:56
Animal Designs, Coloring Book for Adults
Animal Designs Coloring Book For Adults - A De-Stress Coloring Book (Animal Designs and Art Book Series) - Coloring Therapist

Animal Designs, Coloring Book for Adults, A De-stress Coloring Book by Coloring Therapists is an interesting book describing the valid reasons for adult coloring.

One suggestion that really caught my attention was coloring before bed to de-stress and be able to fall asleep more easily. I gave this book four stars.

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1I46AS

review 2016-12-14 21:45
Being Sloane Jacobs - Lauren Morrill

No, no, NO. This was supposed to be a Triple Win for me.

There are two Sloane Jacobs. One of them is an ice-skater...

The other one plays hockey...

They are unhappy with their lives and when they meet, decide to do a Parent Trap/The Pauper and The Prince thing.

Starts OK, but when they meet, they have like, zero bonding. They do not even like each other, but still, they decided to carry on with the plan. I don't claim to be an expert about ice-skating and hockey, but how realistic is for a hockey player to do a pair skating performance after 4 weeks? I can forgive an ice-skater to play hockey, but a hockey player to do well in ice-skating?? Not because she can skate it means she do figure skating! The hockey-Sloane was big and graceless. And she won 2nd place at the end? Say what?

The story was sooo juvenile, I wasn't expecting it from looking at the cover (covers can be deceitful, I know). Both of them find a Mean Girl in their camp; one of them (Ivy, the ice-skater) was soo 2-dimensional. She even says that "pink is her color". What. So both Sloane, to prove they are strong, take revenge of the Mean Girls. In such an immature way. Pranks I expect from, I don't know, maybe 12-years-old boys.

Their respective love interest were sooo boring. Both of them "soooo good looking". I had an instant dislike with one of them, when the author described him as looking like a Bieber. Yuck. And towards the end, when each of the boys find out that his girl was lying to him, it was all "what? you are lying to me? so that kiss was all a lie?", and each girl was "nooo, please listen to me, let me explain" with tears down the cheeks. Oh my, what a cliche soap opera.

I didn't like this book. Predictable with unlikable characters. I started skimming when they girls were exposed. I barely read their "excellent" performances, which was soooo unrealistic. The hockey-player winning a 2nd place in pair figure skating... ha!

review 2016-09-28 16:45
Monstress Volume 1
Monstress Vol. 1 - Sana Takeda,Marjorie M. Liu

4.5 Stars, buy it

The art is gorgeous even if the story is a bit confusing.  And we have talking cats!!! But this is very gory and is definitely for adults only.  The story is extremely intense and is an emotional rollercoaster. I love the little fox character.  One thing I don’t like about this is seeing animals hurt.  I understand why they do it but ugh I hate seeing animals hurt. I was really confused in issue #4, so much so I considered starting at the beginning again. I have to admit I haven’t been reading the lecture sections after each issue because I hate being lectured at. I suppose it would help to understand the confusing world.  I think this comics need cliff notes. LOL. Issue 5 is less confusing but still I’m struggling to understand all of it. I’m going to have to reread this at some point. Issue 6, the end of this volume is left on a cliffhanger and like a lot of the issues is confusing.  Overall, I do recommend the series, the art is amazing and the story (of what I can understand) is pretty amazing too.

Description from Amazon:Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900's Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steampunk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both. Entertainment Weekly praised MONSTRESS as "one of Image Comics' most imaginative and daring new series" and dubbed it the "Best New Original Series" in their year-end "Best Comics of 2015" list. Collects MONSTRESS #1-6