logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: advice
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-04 02:53
The Advice Column Murders
The Advice Column Murders: The Oakwood Mystery Series - Leslie Nagel

This is the third book in the Oakwood series, I loved the first two, so I was really excited to read #3. I adore how well written this series in, from the creative and twisty plots to the lovable characters, and this one was no exception! Very nicely plotted, with two murders that occur just steps from Charley’s front door. After a new family moves in next door, Judith’s adult daughter, Sarah, is found murdered. Later, Judith is found murdered in the street, the blame falls on a carpenter with ties to the family. Charley smells a setup and investigates into the family’s past and uncovers several secrets. With a few mini mysteries to solve along the way (I loved the revelation of who was behind the advice column and I don’t think they should stop!) to the person responsible for the vandalism delaying the expansion at Charley’s vintage shop, Old Hat (which was puzzling, not puzzling as in whodunit but puzzling as in *scratches head* whaat?) and there were many surprise twists that kept things interesting right up to the exciting ending. Wholly enjoyable and entertaining, The Advice Column Murders is another great addition to this excellent cozy series.

review 2018-02-21 23:11
After 60 Life
I Think My Guardian Angel Drinks: Irreverent Advice on Living Well After 60…. Because Wine is Always Age-Appropriate - Vikki Jensen Claflin

I Think My Guardian Angel Drinks by Vikki Jensen Claflin is a humorous take on senior life and living.  The tips may come in handy, if not they'll at least make you laugh.  The quick stories are entertaining and fun.  You're not even close to 60?  It'll still give you a laugh and a peek into what awaits you down the road of life.  I enjoyed reading I Think My Guardian Angel Drinks.  This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

review 2018-01-16 14:36
Marital Advice to my Grandson, Joel: How to be a husband your wife won't throw out of the window in the middle of the night. - Peter Davidson

Marital Advice to My Grandson, Joel: How to Be a Husband Your Wife Won't Throw Out of the Window in the Middle of the Night by Peter Davidson
What I like right off the bat is the male perspective about things females flock together to discuss: fashion, wedding planning, etc.
So much helpful advice to keep the marriage alive and on track.
Years of experience are the priceless part of life and so generous of the author to share it.
Hilarious events that occur that had me laughing out loud because they are 100% true! Take heed of the advice in this book, it's true north.
So much down to earth advice no matter if you are a male or female reader. I think females will find this as a book they'd want to gift to a male.
Compromise til you get your way, it takes time and patience like the toilet paper roll. LOL
Brutal at times and it's not sugar coated. Brownie points ROFL.
There are SO many great parts to read about I don't want to spoil them for you, you gotta read them firsthand and you will have tears in your eyes from laughing so hard.
Received this review copy from the author via LinkedIn and this is my honest opinion.

review 2018-01-14 00:00
Unsolicited Advice (Between the Sheets, #3)
Unsolicited Advice (Between the Sheets, #3) - Melinda Di Lorenzo Heidi takes pride in helping the clueless. What happens when the woman with all the advice is the person who needs it most? Unsolicited Advice is a barrel of laughs with a huge quantity of heart. Ms. Di Lorenzo takes a hot mess and transforms it into a work of art. William is a charmer but he's so pushover. He's a straight shooter except in matters of the heart. Heidi all the answers, but is she answering the right questions when it comes to her own life? A sweetly crafted introspective read.
review 2017-12-07 06:11
Book Construction Blueprint - an essential reference book for self-published authors

Whenever I search the internet trying to find some information to resolve a self-publishing issue invariably an article written by Joel Friedlander comes up.

I've read a number of them and found them professional, helpful and, most importantly, understandable.

When I was offered all this knowledge free in his book Book Construction Blueprint by Joel Friedlander - Expert Advice for Creating Industry-Standard Print Books it was a no-brainer.

Book Construction Blueprint is a comprehensive guide and includes preparing your manuscript, interior book design, cover design, printing and working with professionals.

A good deal of it wasn't relevant for my needs but some was invaluable including the section Cleaning Up Your Word Files. Pretty much all the problems you're confronted with when you upload your original manuscript to a self-publishing platform can be attributed to formatting glitches in your Word file. Friedlander has some nifty tips, accompanied by screen shots, that saved me countless hours of hair-pulling frustration. They're now incorporated into my pre-upload check-list.

Ever wonder about the order of your book's front matter? What goes on the Copyright Page and does the Dedication Page come before Acknowledgements? It's all spelled out in Friedlander's book.

He also has some great suggestions on what components make an eye-catching cover, designing running heads and font choices.

I try to review a lot of new indie authors and it's very distracting and unprofessional to read poorly or incorrectly formatted books. I know what a challenge it is and mine still aren't perfect, but they'll be a lot better now that I have Book Construction Blueprint by Joel Friedlander - Expert Advice for Creating Industry-Standard Print Books to refer to.

I downloaded this book free from the BookBaby Blog