logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: all-your-love
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-24 20:05
Love me tomorrow, won't you please. Promise me...
Love Me Tomorrow - Ethan Day,Jason M Frazier

Love me tomorrow like today...

Ok if you recognize the song that these words are from...stop it your age is showing...lol!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone on that by the way.

I loved this one from start to finish this story worked for me. I loved the humor. I loved that Jake was a fan of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons...*waves hand* me too. Sorry I've been known to geek out over the silliest things and this just made me smile.

I loved most of the secondary characters Levi's mom was awesome, as were Antonio (I think that was his name) he was one of Levi's employee's who had a thing for Levi and while he was a bit of a serial flirter he didn't cross lines...much, Jake's sister, Julia, his parents were idiots mind you. but that's ok they were suppose to be, Jake's friends sorry I can't remember their names and there were a few others that graced the pages of this story and I enjoyed them but Levi's friend/business associate Valerie was one piece of work that I just couldn't get my mind around...seriously if she'd been my friend I would have dropped her like a hot potato. The woman was missing filters...you know like the one that says 'shut your mouth because you've gone from funny to just plain rude and borderline vulgar' 'class she had none', sorry but she really grated on my nerves.

Levi and Jake first meet by accident when paramedics are summoned to his mother's place to care for her. The attraction is definitely instant but the relationship is definitely more complicated and takes some time and more than a few rough patches to get going. Levi's busy building his career as an event planner and trying to take care of his mother. Jake's a paramedic but more importantly he's in a relationship and he doesn't cheat...but he's drawn to Levi and he can't deny it.

Jake finally settles on the idea that he and Levi can be friends because that's a far more palatable idea than not having Levi in his life at all. They try seriously hard. Neither of these men are into the idea of cheating. Jake wants to be there for Levi to make his life easier and tries to help Levi out whenever he can but the more time these two men spend together the stronger their feelings get and the harder they get to deny. I was really torn with this because I wanted Levi and Jake to be together. i liked them together and surprisingly I didn't dislike Jake's boyfriend...I wasn't over the moon about him but he really wasn't a bad person either...just not the right person for Jake.

I really enjoyed the banter between Jake and Levi and between Levi's mom and pretty well anyone else as well Jake's sister was also an  interesting character.

Jason Frazier was the narrator for this audio book and while he's not new to me...more like nearly new to me. I've listened to one other book by this narrator and coincidentally it was also an Ethan Day novel and I enjoyed that first listening experience but I have to say for me this one was just that little bit better...whether it was actually the narrator's skill improved or that I liked the story a bit more than the other story...I neither know nor care but I do know that I enjoyed this one enough to want to listen to it again one day.

One good story and one good narrator made for several hours of pure listening pleasure. This one was truly delightful.

************************

An audio book of 'Love Me Tomorrow' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-06-24 19:45
Reeve of Veils (Inheritance #4)
Reeve of Veils (Inheritance) (Volume 4) - Amelia Faulkner

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this one.

First, this goes back to Knight of Flames timeline and gives us Freddy's POV, so there's a lot that's repeated. Pretty much the first and last quarter of the book, in fact, and I ended up skimming the bulk of those parts, looking only for new details. About the only new thing we learn during those parts is that Freddy's a bigger jerk than I originally thought he was. We get confirmation of his powers, which are more extensive than hinted at prior to this.

As for the new stuff in the middle, well... Freddy's a jerk and I prefer not to read POVs of jerks. Mikey's somewhat better, but he's been a victim for so long that he (and Freddy) actually deludes himself into believing he's left that behind even as he willingly becomes Freddy's literal plaything. Which brings me to the second thing.

Second, there's just no way to see Freddy and Mikey's relationship as anything other than D/s, which is a dynamic I don't enjoy. Just because Freddy thinks he's doing good by Mikey and Mikey's getting out of the ghetto doesn't erase that. Freddy might want to see themselves as equals for whatever reasons he needs to, but they're really not.

Plus, Freddy's just not that good of a guy. He's not a complete bastard, but he's barely one sidestep away from Kane - and even that's only until he succeeds in his plan to off dear old daddy, which I assume is the next book, and then he will be exactly like Kane. Morals and ethics mean nothing to this guy. Or to Mikey. So I guess they are perfect for each other in that respect, but they're certainly not a couple I'm rooting for or care about, and the insta-love here is just completely unbelievable given that Freddy's practically a sociopath.

Ok, I give Freddy credit for not violating Mikey's sexual consent. But since he violates consent in every single other respect with everyone around him, that credit doesn't get him very far. It gets him a crumb. A crumb mashed into dust.

The good news is you don't actually have to read this book. The last two books made it perfectly plain that Freddy's manipulating Laurence and how, and that he's trying to line up Quentin to kill their dad. So this book ends at pretty much the same point as the previous book, just with a bit more info than we had before.

Two more little nitpicks:

Mikey's a drug dealer and a high school dropout who's never been outside San Diego. He's not going to measure distances by kilometers. This same thing happened with Laurence in the last book. We use feet and miles in the USA. There are various conversion charts and calculators available online. This sort of error shouldn't happen, and it pulled me out of the story both times.

And lastly, mailbox flags work the exact opposite of how they're used here. When you have outgoing mail, you raise the flag. When the mailman comes, he lowers the flag and leaves the incoming mail. If the flag is up, that means the mail hasn't been delivered yet, not that it has been.

review 2018-06-24 12:47
Daisy and Rock continue their criminal spree with surprising consequences - very good series
Violent Love Volume 2 - Frank J Barbiere Violent Love Volume 2 - Frank J Barbiere

This second and final volume takes our two adventurers further along their criminal and avenging trail. There are plenty of surprises, bloodshed and betrayal. The comic collection is nicely made and the story moves along at a good pace with large colourful clear illustrations. Surprisingly good stuff and recommended to lovers of action comics with a story to tell.

review 2018-06-23 23:19
Love Mystery by Pamela Styles -- DNF
Love Mystery - Pamela Styles

Disclosure:  I obtained the Kindle edition of this book when it was offered free on Amazon.  I do not know the author nor have I ever had any communication with her about this book or any other matter.  I am an author of historical and contemporary romances and non-fiction.

This is one of those books that you think maybe has some potential, but the execution just wrings every last drop of hope out.

All it took was a paragraph.  The first paragraph.

A sheep was gnawing on the corner of my coat. I snatched the fabric away, causing the animal to retreat, startled. I looked up, following her direction of travel. She had re-joined her flock on the hillside where I sat looking out, allowing rain to fall on my face, plastering long, wet, gray hair to my skin. I was struggling to breathe and closed my eyes intending to rest, just for a moment…

Styles, Pamela. Love Mystery (Love Magic Book 2) (Kindle Locations 15-19). Kindle Edition.

Gnawing.  Causing.  Following.  Looking.  Allowing.  Plastering.  Struggling.  Intending.

This kind of over-reliance on present participles is the mark of an amateur writer.  Perhaps one who hasn't done a lot of reading herself.  Perhaps one who hasn't had a good critique group to help her through the process of developing a prose style.

Regardless the reason, it makes for a disappointing reading experience. And it only gets worse in succeeding paragraphs.

That disappointment is intensified with clumsy repetitions.  "Pounding" appears three times in the next couple of paragraphs.   Or this:

This was not the best start to my eighteenth birthday. I could hear movement outside my bedroom, surely my mother, come to rouse me to celebrate. She knocked on the door.

“Alexis,” she called to me through the door.

Styles, Pamela. Love Mystery (Love Magic Book 2) (Kindle Locations 23-24). Kindle Edition.

There's no need to write "through the door." It's just extra words that don't add anything.

But here's the thing that pulled me completely out of the story, far more than just the unpolished writing.

There's the cover, first.

I post it here because they get changed so frequently on Amazon. Lovely young woman, flowers, soft colors.

Then the opening section of the book is titled "Alexis."

Then the opening scene depicts a person in the rain, with long wet gray hair, which suggests that the person is a woman.

But in fact, "Alexis" is a young man!

I had already built up a mental image, based on the cover art, of Alexis as a young woman.  Even though I'd only invested the few minutes necessary to get through two or three pages, the magic was completely broken when I learned my mental image had to be completely redrawn.

Shelly Lowenkopf, in his 1982 article for The Writer magazine "Creating the Rejection-Resistant Novel," says a writer only has three pages at the very most to capture a reader's attention.  I was barely three Kindle pages into this book when my attention was completely thrown out of the book, not only by the weak writing but now by the false mental image I had created based on the clues the writer had left.  That was enough for me to DNF.

Those problems were enough, but they weren't the end of my reasons.

The book is supposedly set in 1869 in the U.S., but the celebration of Samhain seemed  out of place with that era and location.  I could have bought it if the author had given me some kind of context.

The context is provided in the Amazon listing description, but we all know that books get withdrawn or descriptions changed, and they don't accompany the book files to the reading device.  The description also clearly states that Alexis is male.  But reading the book on my Kindle, without access to the original listing, I had no way of knowing that.

All in all, it was a very disappointing experience, and I'm not inclined to read any further.  This lengthy review is to give other readers a full explanation of my analysis.  I'm sure there are people who won't like that I wrote more than I read, but that's just too bad.

review 2018-06-22 04:19
2.7 Out Of 5 STARS for me on this one...
Wake of Vultures - Lila Bowen

~BOOK BLURB~

Wake Of Vultures

Lila Bowen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nettie Lonesome lives in a land of hard people and hard ground dusted with sand. She's a half-breed who dresses like a boy, raised by folks who don't call her a slave but use her like one. She knows of nothing else. That is, until the day a stranger attacks her. When nothing, not even a sickle to the eye can stop him, Nettie stabs him through the heart with a chunk of wood and he turns to black sand.

And just like that, Nettie can see.

But her newfound sight is a blessing and a curse. Even if she doesn't understand what's under her own skin, she can sense what everyone else is hiding—at least physically. The world is full of evil, and now she knows the source of all the sand in the desert. Haunted by the spirits, Nettie has no choice but to set out on a quest that might lead her to find her true kin . . . if the monsters along the way don't kill her first.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This felt like it was trying too hard to be about as many relevant topics as it could, and for me personally, I think it just came off as overtly chaotic.  It started out good, I was feeling the alternate old west world she had created…then it just became crude and uncomfortable.  Then there were the supernatural elements, seriously it had everything from Vampires to Chupacabra's, with several more in between, too many really…but  hey, there are plenty of readers out there who liked this.  With that being said…its overall message about not being afraid to be yourself is the best thing about this book, and it's the reason I rated as high as I did.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 3/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 3/5  Cliffhanger~ "to be continued"

Book Cover~ Very cool

Narration~ 3 by Robin Miles…I don't think she was bad, she just didn't work for me.

Series~ The Shadow #1