logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc-borrowed-arc
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-14 13:41
The Innocence Game (DNF) ★★☆☆☆
The Innocence Game - Michael Harvey

Sometimes, I try something new. I’ll pick up an author I haven’t read before, without recommendations from trusted friends, on the strength of the synopsis and a scan of reviews from total strangers. It’s worth the gamble of my precious reading time, because I’ve occasionally found new authors and their whole back catalogs and future work to enjoy. This time, the gamble did not pay off. The characters were all too annoying, the suspension of disbelief required to accept some of these characters and events too great, and the mystery not compelling enough to keep me reading. DNF at 36%.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive.

I attempted to read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square Amateur Sleuth: This mystery will have a main character who is not a member of law enforcement. I have another audiobook in mind as a substitute for this square.

Prior Updates:

Sep11 17%

review 2019-09-08 15:40
Book Review: A Cousins Promise (Read in 2011)
A Cousin's Promise - Wanda E. Brunstetter

A Cousin Promise is done well. I know I read this way before starting my book blog. I really did enjoy this. This book is about Loraine and Wayne. Will Loraine keep her promise? Though Wayne seem to have had accident and was left crippled.

Will Wayne see is way and hold on to his happiness? I really can not remember much it been that long ago. If I ever do re-read this book again I truly hope it as good as the first I read it. I do not see why it would not be.

I remember some of it story and plot. I know that it was written well. I did enjoy the story none the less. Will Wayne be able to get over his struggles and look to god and faith. Will Loraine be able to get over her rejection with gods help? What will happen once Loraine old boyfriends returns? Who will Loraine choose to love and marry?

review 2019-09-08 06:17
Rotters ★★☆☆☆ (DNF)
Rotters - Daniel Kraus,Kirby Heyborne

Nope nope nope. I just can't do this. There's no teenaged angsty romance (yet) but the misfit boy teenaged angst emanating from this book reeks like sweaty gym socks and Axe Body Spray. The bad guys are all cartoonishly bad, and the actual monsters haven't even appeared yet. And I did try. I've suffered through two hours of audio, and that's enough for anyone. I'm going to have to use the Transfiguration Spell for this particular square.

review 2019-09-07 13:23
Dreams Underfoot ★★★☆☆
Dreams Underfoot (Audio) - Charles de Lint

It’s hard for me to characterize this book, because it’s not just a short story collection, but neither is it a novel. It’s a set of stories of which *most* have some connection with several others, in the setting or with recurring characters or in themes. These were mostly sweet and, yes dreamy, stories of a magical world that lies just adjacent to the city of Newford. But just as I’d begin to fall into the comfortable rhythm of these connections, I’d be knocked right out of it with stories that didn’t bear any resemblance at all. These were much darker stories, and some without any supernatural elements. And a few had a finger-wagging, moralistic tone that I didn’t care for.

The first half of the book was definitely the strongest, as I found my attention wandering through most of the rest. There were a few frankly boring stories where characters sat around telling each other things instead of the reader actually experiencing them.

Overall, though, I’d recommend this collection, for those sweet, dreamy, magical stories of Newford, full of wonder and fantastical creatures and artsy characters who find themselves and each other and a sense of community in it.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library, with a very good performance by Kate Reading.

I read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square Cryptozoologist: Any supernatural creature, from Ammit to Ziz. These stories featured a plethora of creatures and beings – dryads, fae, gnomes, mermaids, demon dogs, etc. – although my favorites were the balloon-men and a 2 foot high angry booger.

Previous Updates:

Sep02 14%

Sep03 18%

Sep04 34%

Sep05 45%

review 2019-09-01 22:41
Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow ★★★☆☆
Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow - James Howe

This adorable story is the seventh in a series that I’d never heard of before, but I didn’t have any trouble picking up on the story or its characters. A Snape-y looking author of Goosebumps-style childrens lit and his creepy silent crow come to visit a young fan, whose household includes a menagerie of household pets, one of whom is the narrator. The pets are alarmed by the intense interest this author shows in Bunnicula, the family’s vegetarian vampiric bunny, and do their best to foil his nefarious plans, although they aren’t quite certain what “nefarious” means.

Disappointingly, Bunnicula doesn’t actually have much to do in this story, but it was still a lot of fun for this grown-up to read. I think little-girl-me would have loved it.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive. Patrick Mulvihill’s reading was a little stilted, but effective.

I read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square Thirteen: Read any book that relates to bad luck, superstitions, including (but not limited to) black cats, ravens or crows, or the unlucky number 13, either in the title, series, book cover or page count. The pet crow for whom the story is named meets criteria for the square.