logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-20 01:38
Strong characters, strong connections
Blood Guard: A Mission Novel - Megan Erickson
I did not know what to expect but I got an interesting ride. This is a world where vampires live among humans while a war brews between vampire clans. Athan is sexy, honest, and driven. Tendra has lived an unstable life built on moving and loss of family. With a cat as her companion, she finds a way to trust Athan and make decisions that affect her life as well as others. The two of them are a strong couple and will do anything for each other. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next one.

I received a copy of this book through Netgalley, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2017-09-19 15:42

Publisher:  Crooked Lane Books

Publication Date: 9/12/2017

Format: Hardcover

My Rating: 4 Stars

LIES SHE TOLD by Cate Holahan is a dark and twisty mind-bending thriller with more than one unreliable narrator.

On almost every page, this imaginative psychological thriller forces the reader to reconsider what is real. A book within a book when the lines of fact and fiction are blurred.

“The most dangerous untruths are truths slightly distorted.” — Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Notebook H

Manhattan author Liza, (of romantic suspense) is under extreme pressure with her upcoming novel.

Trevor, a forty-two-year-old (editor) is telling a thirty-five-year-old woman in the middle of her target audience demographic, what her peers want in the sack. He thinks he knows trends.

Alternating between Liza’s POV in the real world, and Beth (the protagonist) in Liza’s novel. Needless to say, both these ladies lives are complex.

"Blurring fact and fantasy is my trade. I am a con artist. A prevaricator. I make up stories." So why does he think this one is real?

David Jacobson, husband of twelve years. Nick Landau, David’s law partner is missing. Nick never liked Liza.

Liza and David have been unable to conceive. Both the anxiety of this plus her writing deadlines push her to get lost in her characters. Their marriage is strained.

. . . She does not invent her characters. She steals them from her surroundings. To be a writer is to be a life thief. Every day she robs herself blind.

"It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place." —Henry Louis Mencken, A Little Book in C Major

As the pressure of the deadlines mounts, Liza becomes immersed in her heroine. Unfaithful? Murder?

Is she writing about her own life?

Beth has a new baby and her husband, Jake is a prosecutor. He is cheating, while she is home taking care of the baby. The sexy officer, Colleen. The psychiatrist, Tyler, and an old friend.

Will both stories lead to murder? The lines are blurred.

Who is telling the truth? Who is not? Two stories intertwined.

The author cleverly draws readers into a world where truth blends with delusion, plus more. . .

Dark, twisty, and sinister grip-lit. The author keeps the reader on its toes while switching from fact and fiction while questioning every move.

Chilling, unique, intriguing, and disturbing, LIES SHE TOLD, will keep readers turning the pages. With all the books about LIES these days, this one definitely takes a distinctive spin.

A special thank you to Crooked Lane and NetGalley for an early reading digital copy.

I also purchased the audiobook narrated by Amy McFadden and Lisa Larsen, for a captivating performance.

JDCMustReadBooks

Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2017/05/12/Lies-She-Told
review 2017-09-19 06:45
Sincere
His Convenient Husband (Love and Sports) - Robin Covington

Isaiah & Victor have a flash of sexy in their past that may come back to bite them.  Isaiah is offering to help Victor stay here in America.  To go home for him would be death.  Isaiah struggles with this, since he is very attracted to Victor and has a hard time staying hands off.

Victor is starting to have real feelings for Isaiah.  He finds the many parts of his personality very attractive and knows he is falling for him.  How do you find love when the person you care for has no interest in falling?

This book was really sexy.  I loved the interaction with the characters.  The pages sizzle with electricity from the main characters chemistry.  I love that the backstories of both are varied, diverse, and very real and easy to understand.  Really good read.  I give this book a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review by Netgalley and its publisher.

review 2017-09-19 06:30
My heart
Lucas: A Cold Fury Hockey Novel (Carolina Cold Fury Hockey) - Sawyer Bennett

This is book #8, in the Cold Fury Hockey series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  To avoid spoilers, and for complete understanding of this sexy series - I recommend reading this series in order.

Stephanie is working in an interim position.  At a major charity event, she meets someone who can change her whole life.  If she has the courage to let him in.

Lucas meets Stephanie at an event.  He is drawn to her immediately.  They do not really have much in common.  But neither can stay away....

This book makes me wish there are more starts to give.  I really enjoyed reading this story, and it is an excellent add to the Cold Fury series.  I literally laughed, while I cried reading this amazingly sexy book.  I found the characters real, and very fun.  I give this story a very excited 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given by Netgalley and its publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-09-19 03:49
Time travel forward, hard to put down
Sadie's Highlander - Maeve Greyson

This is a great beginning to a new series. I loved the fact that it is a time travel into the future, rather than the past. Alec has been learning how to live in the modern world along with the rest of his family. Sparks fly from the beginning between Alec and Sadie. The story and the world held my interest so that I did not want to put the book down, though real life made sure I did. Alec is an honest person, and I loved him. Sadie's journey to be a stronger person had me crying at times, feeling her self-doubt and lack of confidence. I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to the next installment.