logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-23 20:51
I'm thinking this ones on me...at least partially...
Chief's Mess - L.A. Witt

So far I've really enjoyed this series both 'Just Drive' and 'Fear of Flying' were stories that I really enjoyed and I basically knew what this story was about going in to it.

Noah Jackson is a member of Anchor Point's military police. He's got a stressful job and unfortunately his solution for dealing with the stress of his job comes from a bottle and he sees no problem with this. As a matter of fact he's so on board with this that when a problem results from his drinking his solution is to make his life accommodate the drinking...can't drive home because you've had too much to drink...take a cab...problem solved because drinking less or not drinking doesn't even ping his radar as a reasonable solution. Noah is what is known as a functioning alcoholic. Unfortunately he's not as functioning as he believes people like his best friend and superior officer, Senior Chief Will Curtis see what's happening. I'm sure most of us have met or had someone like Noah in their lives at one time or another, I know I have.

While we weren't introduced to Noah in 'Fear of Flying' we did meet Anthony. Anthony is the supportive brother of Curtis's ex-wife. There was a lot about Noah's behavior that I understood in regards to his mildly paranoid behavior about how much Noah drank. I got that and I remember being so cautious about people in my life and how much they drank wondering how much and how often they truly drank. Honestly, it's not fun living like that doubting and never fully trusting until you're sure really sure that it's safe to trust that person because they aren't going to crawl into a bottle every chance they get.

Noah and Anthony start out as a hook-up one night of hot sex. But one night becomes a few more until Anthony has to go home. As time passes Anthony and Noah begin texting and then as they get to know each other and each remembers how good the sex had been they decide to take a shot at a long distance relationship.

You see the fact is that while I've known Noah, I've been Anthony...been part of the rubble left behind when the landslide stops. I've lived through the lies, the deceptions and justifications, the heartbreak of knowing you can't fix them. That they're the only person who can fix themselves and not until they're ready to.  The frustration of knowing that you've reached the point where the only thing you can do is walk away and save yourself.

The one real issue that I had with Anthony in fact actually goes back to the events of 'Fear of Flying' and Anthony's lack of basic compassion and understanding for his brother-in-law Curtis. Logically I knew where it came from, but, I still can't say I liked it.

The concept for this story was good and while I liked it, I think maybe for me it came just a little to close to a reality that I've known which was a big part of the reason that I didn't enjoy 'Chief's Mess' nearly as much as the first two books.  However, I am looking forward to the next book in this series...'Rank & File' is Senior Chief Will Curtis's story and while we did get a bit of Will's background in this book, I'm hoping that 'Rank & File'

will give us a all of Will's story and a peek at how things are going for the other men of 'Anchor Point'.

********************

A copy of "Chief's Mess" was graciously provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-06-23 16:50
Love with all it's dings and dents...
Afraid to Fly - L.A. Witt

'Afraid to Fly' is the second book in L. A. Witt's series 'Anchor Point'. We were briefly introduced to Travis Wilson in 'Just Drive' the first book in this series as best friend of Paul Richards one of the MCs from that story.

In 'Just Drive' Travis encouraged Paul to take a chance on love and now it's Paul's turn to do the same for Travis. While the author didn't really tell us a lot about Travis in 'Just Drive' we were told enough to know that Travis deals with chronic pain and in 'Afraid to Fly' we are given a much clearer picture of just how bad that chronic pain is and insidiously it has invaded every aspect of his life. Along with the chronic pain Travis deals with PTSD and shares his home with his adult daughter who also deals with her own PTSD.

Clint Fraser works down the hall from Travis and he's got his own case of PTSD to deal with...one that's cost him a marriage and time with his 3 kids.

It's always interesting when I finish a book to reflect back on the why I did or didn't like a book. Sometimes, I'm not really sure why and it's just a case of the story worked and I connected with it sometimes there's something very specific that I liked or several things and in the case of 'Afraid to Fly' while there were several things that I liked about this story the number one reason was Travis. I connected with Travis. I totally understood what his life was like. As someone who also suffers from chronic pain, while thankfully mine is rarely as extreme as Travis's is. It does affect my daily life. So I understood what it was like to always be thinking ahead wondering can I do this? How much more will I hurt? How can I manage the pain? and on and on. It's just what you do and how you have to deal with things to try and have as normal of a life as possible. To keep as much independence as possible. I got this, I understood his mindset and I really got his insecurities about his and Clint's relationship and how much it meant to him to have someone who accepts him with all his 'dings and dents' just as Travis does with Clint and his PTSD and the fact that he's a 'recovering' alcoholic.

As well as how Travis's chronic pain and PTSD was dealt with how we saw Clint's medical issues, both the PTSD and the alcoholism dealt with for me was well done. It was an important part of the story but it never felt like it overpowered the development of their relationship but just like Travis's chronic pain and his own PTSD these were things that both men had deal with, it was all a part of the relationship dynamic.

For me 'Fear of Flying' was about finding that person you connect with, want to spend your life with and loving them not in spite of their 'baggage' but because it's a part of them and who they are and ultimately you come to know and accept that the love they have for you is as strong as what you feel for them.

review 2017-06-22 21:16
Review: Warrior of Fire (Blood & Silver #2) by Shona Husk 4 out of 5 stars
Warrior of Fire - Shona Husk

This is the second installment in the Blood and Silver series. I honestly feel that this story cannot be read as a stand alone to be fully enjoyed as there are many aspects that would be missed if the first story is not read, well, first.

Leira and Julian are both part of an ancient yet almost extinct magical race called Albah. Because of prejudice and misconceptions about magic, their race has been hunted for as long as they can remember and now Julian is a target of those that want to end the Albah.

Fate plays an important role here but it’s not the focal point. The author manages to dance around it by making the characters think there is an already established path for everyone but also plays with the outcome by giving them infinite options depending on the choices people make.
In the case of Leira, and because of her magic, she knew she and Julian were supposed to meet but as the story progressed she wasn’t so sure anymore if that meant if they were supposed to be lovers or if he was just supposed to be in her life as something else. Julian knew there had to be more than magic and fate involved in their relationship because of the chemistry between them, and it was not just physical attraction but something deeper. And I definitely thanked the author for that because she didn’t go for the insta-lust here.
In the end, in spite of magic, fate, and crazy people going after them, they decided that risking it all for an uncertain but happy future was worth the risk.

The pace was a little slow for my taste but I’m willing to overlook it because I really liked this fantasy world, the complex characters and I thought this was a well-developed story.

*** I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***

review 2017-06-22 16:27

eBook
304
NetGalley

KING OF THE OTHERWORLD

The race is on to find the true heir to the faerie crown before the evil king Moncoya returns from exile. Mercenary necromancer Jethro de Loix will find the challenger to Moncoya's crown...for a price. One million mortal dollars. Outraged at Jethro's audacity, Princess Vashti, Moncoya's daughter, arranges to accompany him on his mission.

Jethro doesn't want company, especially not from Moncoya's belligerent, pampered daughter. But as their journey pits them against evil forces, their animosity soon gives way to an overwhelming physical attraction. When the trail ends on the legendary Isle of Avalon, can the pair face down the evil sorceress Morgan le Fay to claim a future they'd long denied themselves?

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Otherworld Challenger is book three in the Otherworld series. I prefer to read series books in order. It’s a little quirk I have, but it doesn’t always happen that way. The Otherworld Challenger was my first experience in the Otherworld series and with Jane Godman. I was pulled in, captivated, and enjoyed the storyline and characters. I feel that this novel can and does stand well on it’s own.

Vashti, Princess Vashti is the daughter of the proclaimed king. She feels no emotions and now that things have changed in the supernatural world, with her sister marring, she is starting to see things differently, but still struggles with emotions and contact.

Jethro, Jethro de Loix is a necromancer who is on the hunt for the true heir to the fairy kingdom. He is a man of mystery to himself and others.

Vashti and Jethro where likable characters. I had fun with their strong dislike and barbs they took at each other, which of course leads them to truly unravel their feelings and realize they actually like each other. It’s the enemies to lovers storyline. They had some pretty interesting interactions. I liked watching Vashti’s character change from uncaring to caring and I liked Jethro’s strong will. The plot was intense and interesting with their journey leading them to Avalon where revolutions are revealed and love blooms; between our reluctant characters. We learn a lot on this journey to find the true heir of the faire kingdom.

Otherworld Challenger was a delightful and entertaining read. I’m curious now to check out the previous books in the Otherworld series and to see what comes next.

Rated: 4 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Harlequin via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): Blogger Shame | New To Me (Author/Series) | Pick Your Genre (PNR) | Backlist Reader (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/06/arc-review-otherworld-challenger-otherworld-3-by-jane-godman
review 2017-06-21 17:12

Release Date: February 21, 2017
Reviewed by : Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Publisher: Loose-ID

4 stars ARC

Blindfolds, bondage, board meetings. All in a day's work for Noah Dorian, co-owner of Hilltops, an exclusive club for those who like a bit of spice.

Enter Jordin Turner, a psychology student who is doing research on the BDSM lifestyle.

Noah agrees to provide her with information via telephone but when she comes to the club for an observation, his world is turned upside down. Jordin is strong, confident, intelligent, and beautiful; traits he has never seen packaged together in a woman he likeshttp://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-for-destiny-by-faith-starr.html this much. He's always guarded his heart, but Jordin makes him want to open his heart and free himself from his demons.

Jordin has had her fair share of heartache, including an ex who made her doubt herself. Especially in the bedroom. Noah's dominant nature gives her a chance to change that. His desire and his dominance help her break the chains that hold her back.

Noah and Jordin. Sometimes love is destiny.

“You don’t have to argue every point. I’m simply making my own observations.” Why did his breath have to smell as good as the rest of him? It was almost hypnotic, if not tempting every fiber in my being to lean forward to see if he tasted as good as he smelled. Damn Noah Dorian. “That’s supposed to be my job.” Oh my gosh. I sounded like a schoolgirl with a childhood crush, giggling stupidly. “Yes, it is, but I’m having a rather good time doing your job too.” “Why’re you doing this, Noah?” Confusion filled me. I was a little light-headed in addition to the other slew of symptoms having a field day inside me. He was pretty much suffocating me with his charm and good looks. “All I’m doing is pointing out to you that you don’t always have to keep yourself so tightly wound. Sometimes it’s nice to let loose.” “And what’re you implying?” “I’m merely suggesting that you allow me to bring some of your curiosity to life.” Say what? “You mean like mentor me in BDSM? Sorry, but I’m not a bow down, please and thank you, Sir, type of a woman.” Reality check! It was time to dodge this bullet. Unfortunately, it was somewhat impossible since he had me caged between his strong arms. “I’m not so sure about that. Besides, you’ll never know unless you try.” “I’m sorry if I’ve given you the wrong impression, Noah. I think maybe I should go.” I needed air. I needed to get out of this room. I needed Noah Dorian. That’s what I needed.

I couldn’t take it anymore. My dick could only behave for so long. My poor impulse control and I pushed her against the car, tasting those succulent lips again. Something I couldn’t stop thinking about. Luckily, her mouth voluntarily welcomed my tongue. I could only imagine what else it could do to her luscious body. “Because I know you feel it too.” Her eyes blinked several times as they stared into mine, her breaths jagged between her slightly parted lips. That was all the reassurance I needed to know she would be there on Saturday night. I backed away and took her hand in mine, suddenly with more pep in my stride. I walked her to her car and made sure she got in safely, her wittiness taking a hike and replaced with desire. Her eyes had hunger in them, and I knew exactly how to feed it. This woman had no clue how fucking sexy she was. I intended to make that concept very well known to her. She looked up at me and almost whispered her good-bye, her lips swollen and begging for more. I leaned down and slid my hand into her hair, tilting her chin upward so I could have one more taste to hold me over until the weekend. To my surprise, she fisted my hair desperately. I planted a gentle kiss on her lips to find her almost panting when I pulled away. I released my hold on her and smiled. “Good night, Jordin.” It took all the self-control I had to walk away after the kiss. My dick ached, wanting to blow, but it wasn’t something I couldn’t take care of later.

Lets start off by saying that I really enjoyed our first read by this author.I liked the characters as they were fun and interesting.Noah and Jordin were such opposites yet their relationship worked even though they had a few hiccups along the way.

I always pick a favorite character in a story in this time around its going to be Jordin although Noah follows closely.I found Jordin to be bright,charming,shy,intelligent ,insecure, but she also had fire and passion within her.

Jordin meets Noah as she has asked Noah who own a sex club to help her collect information on the bdsm lifestyle to write her dissertation for school in order to graduate to become a therapist. Jordin chose this subject because she wanted to understand more and gather more insight in order to consul abused women. I loved Jordin she was so out of her element,nervous, shy, intimidated and an innocent to boot but when it came to observing the scenes throughout the club in order to learn Noah is the one who caused all her flutters and uneasiness not the scenes themselves. Jordin's attraction to Noah and him to her was apparent from the start and their chemistry was hot as hell.I loved how she opened up and blossomed throughout the story creating many firsts and new experiences for herself  doing this in baby steps she was growing more confident. Jordin surprised me the most though she had just the same hang ups as every other women does and those self insecurities but never really applied the logic to herself as she did her patients .Noah is the one who helped her overcome most of her insecurities and I loved that most about him

Noah definitely was a man of many layers.He had much more depth to him that I even thought was possible about him and I loved discovering more and more about him as the story progressed he really was a tender love and caring soul.I found Noah to be many things but loved that he was confident yet sensitive.Noah's attraction with Jordin has him tied up in knots from the onset.I loved how Jordin has him feeling things and experiencing a lot of firsts himself.Noah is such and experienced man in and out of the bedroom he has lived the lifestyle an has enjoyed it but it doesn't dominate his life .I loved this about him the most as Jordin is all about vanilla and yet he still peruses her with a passion.I loved his patience and kindness that he showed Jordin and those around him.I loved seeing this side of him as he definitely liked to be in charge and loved to dominate but never saw being tender or kind as a weakness.I fell in loved with him a little bit myself especially when he walked through the facility that his brother was staying at and he took the time to have a kind word with each and every patient he came in contact with along the way to see his brother. He put a smile on all those patients faces.He was definitely swoon worthy!

A really enjoyable story that was a learning experience for both characters who fell for one another and yet just what the other needs to make them whole.I enjoyed the chemistry these characters had as I really thought they made a cute an amazing couple together and I was glad that they found their way to one another even though their journey wasn't always a easy one.

I love when you can connect with the characters you read about and I was able to that in this story .I loved when that happens when you like your character so much from the onset that you know its going to be a good enjoyable story for you.

I looking forward to reading other stories by this author as she creates them.

4 stars from us

When she's not managing her husband’s medical practice or taking care of her three kids, Faith Starr loves writing erotic romance fiction. Faith is passionate about putting herself into the minds of her characters, giving them a life of their own with all of the emotions that go along with it. She is head over heels in love with each and every alpha male she creates and the confident women who steal their hearts. Faith has found her passion writing in the romance genre. Creating heartfelt love stories has become key in giving her inner spirit the creative outlet it desires. She is a hopeless romantic, with a little spice, who truly believes in the “Once Upon a Time” and “Happily Ever After” ending.

You can find Angels Here !