logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: asthepageturns
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-13 02:46
Descender vol. 1
Descender Volume 1: Tin Stars (Descender Tp) - Jeff Lemire,Dustin Nguyen,Dustin Nguyen

Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars has some exceptional artwork and the story is very engaging. I recently watched the series, "Westworld", sparking my interest in stories with androids. This series by the talented Jeff Lemire certainly doesn't disappoint. The main character is the cutest bot ever! Illustrated beautifully the first volume begins with TIM 21 embarking on a journey to find his human companion, Andy. Full of mystery this strange new world is very intriguing! Little bot, big universe, indeed.

review 2016-10-26 19:52
"Equations are magic, and all formulas are spells"
And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer: A Novella - Fredrik Backman

**Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

❝Noah holds the old man's hand, the man who taught him to fish and to never be afraid of big thoughts and to look at the night's sky and understand that it's made of numbers..❞

There are so many reasons that this short novella touched my heart strings. It came as no surprise however as mr. Backman is one of my fav authors: he just nails the old folk-young kids dynamic, with each of his books exploring a different one. On "And every morning the way home gets longer and longer", Noah's grandad is slowly descending into the abyss of Alzheimer's and together they try to come in terms with it.

We learn just how ordinarily extraordinary he was earlier in life, about his job and the story of how he met and lost the love of his life.

I laughed and cried while reading this and can't wait for his new book coming this spring!

50 Book ReviewsProfessional Reader80%Reviews Published2016 NetGalley Challenge Challenge Participant

review 2016-10-21 14:44
Lies and Truths..
We Were Liars - E. Lockhart
❝It still seemed so magical that I could do that, and that he would kiss me back. So magical that we showed our weaknesses to one another, our fears and our fragility. ❞
This is a romance book mixed with drama and suspense. "We Were Liars" had a gorgeous prose and I loved the way it was presented.

Actually, the less you know about the story the better (that was emphasized enough in a couple of reviews I read of the book, making me want to read it more). So: read it.

The bottomline truth? you will not regret it.

review 2016-10-10 20:24
The dispatcher
The Dispatcher - John Scalzi,Zachary Quinto

This is a short story with an intriguing premise: Did you kill someone? Well, too bad for you. Because he comes back safe and sound at his house. That is 99 out of a 100 times. Our protagonist is tasked with "dispatching" people who are about to die - so they come back and live on. When his friend goes missing he will try to find him before it's too late. Grab this while you can as it's currently free at audible.

review 2016-09-29 16:32
Bingo card additions
The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman,Dawn Harvey
Cujo - Stephen King,Lorna Raver,Simon & Schuster Audio
The Roll-Away Pumpkin - Junia Wonders,Daniela Volpari

I keep filling that bingo card a bit randomly..

The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman,Dawn Harvey

I came across a different narration of the yellow wallpaper and I loved it. The narrator's voice nailed the creepy factor and even though I knew the story I loved every minute of it. Here is my original review of the story.

Cujo - Stephen King,Lorna Raver,Simon & Schuster Audio

I first read Cujo when I was 13 or 14 I don't remember very well. What I do remember however was the nightmares that book gave me. I cannot look at a Saint Bernard dog and not get the chills. To this day it's one of the scariest books I have ever read and for the sake of the bingo I re-visited that book and purchased the audiobook. It's still scary but not as scary as I remember it. The narrator was rather good too, I must add.

The Roll-Away Pumpkin - Junia Wonders,Daniela Volpari

This is a cute little story about a girl that chases her pumpkin with gorgeous illustrations!