logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audio-books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-02 17:51
The Devoured by Curtis Lawson, narrated by Jason Sprenger
The Devoured - Jason Sprenger,Curtis M. Lawson,Curtis M. Lawson

THE DEVOURED is an insane read. Insane, I say!

A man leaves his wife and child to fight in the civil war. His wife, (and therefore his son, Emmett), are of native American heritage and while the man is gone, his wife becomes ill. Emmett, big for his age of 16, decides to seek out his mother's father, a Shaman, (from whom she's been estranged), to request a cure for her illness. Can she be cured? And if so, will she be cured? Lastly, what is the price for that cure? You'll have to read this to find out!

This book seems to have elements of everything. By that, I mean it has a western feel to it, along with some Norse mythology, (Thurs, giants, Utgard, at one point there was a large tree- Yggdrasil?), witches, cannibals, and I don't even know what else. You might think that there is just too much going on, but somehow Curtis Lawson pulls it all together within the framework of a man trying to save his family.

I especially liked the characters of the old man, (I'm not sure if he was ever named?), and his companion, a young black boy named Hank. At first, I liked Emmett, but his turn down a dark road changed that by the time it was all over.

It took a while for everything to gel for me, because there was a lot going on, but when it did, I was impressed by the skills on display. Lawson's knowledge of history and mythology is impressive. I was feeling slightly off balance due to all the different aspects of the tale, but I finally stopped worrying that I was missing something and just let the story sweep me along. And that it did, right up to the brick wall that is the denouement. It was just the type of ending that I love!

I listened to this book on audio, which was narrated by Jason Sprenger. I've never listened to his narrations before, but I thought he was excellent. His voicing of the different characters was very good, but his main voice was the BEST, reminding me of Sam Elliott at times.

Overall, this book was just plain FUN! A mixed up combination of genres, mythology, American history and more, I can't think of another book or author, (well, maybe Tim Curran?), that can blend such things successfully. Curtis Lawson did so, and did it in spades.

Highly recommended!

You can get your copy here: The Devoured

*I received a digital copy of this audiobook from the author in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*

review 2017-10-25 17:42
3 good stars but upgraded to 4 after listening!
The Palisade (Lavender Shores) - Rosalind Abel
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Heir to a coffee shop empire, Joel is in Lavender Shores to secure a property for their flagship store. Andrew was only supposed to be a bit of fun while in town. But then the overnight stay turns into a weekend, and Joel finds himself in far deeper with Andrew than he ever imagined could be; Joel knows when he leaves, and he HAS to leave, it won't only break Andrew's heart, Joel's will be shattered too. First person, multi point of view is not my most favourite way for a book to be written but I quite liked it here. Didn't love it, but I liked it. It got me a little more into both man's mind. While It's very clear that Joel is hiding something from Andrew, it's not immediately clear what that is. I liked being kept waiting. I'm not one for declarations of love so early on, and it happens here. Put me off a little bit, to be honest. BUT! major points for not shortened Andrew, not at all! A really easy read, one of those you can fall into, and lose the world around you, and before you know it, you've finished the book and it did not seem like the 200 odd pages listed on Goodreads. A touch long for a usual hangover cure book, but it landed in my queue just at the right time to be classed as one. I've filed it as such. I have book two to read shortly. I am looking forward to that because there are hints here to what happened to Gilbert, Andrew's best friend. And I want to know more. I'm thinking, from those hints, that book might have a little more bite. 3 GOOD solid stars. Audio Review. Kirt Graves narrates this book. I tried to listen to another of his work and I did not like it. Not because of the narration, that was because of the other book. So I was a little wary going in, but I am so glad I gave him another chance! I am finding, much to my surprise, I am loving listening to first person/multi point of view books! Strange because I don't usually like to READ books written like that. But I LOVED Graves' narration here! His voices for Andrew and Joel were clearly different, and each chapter was told in the respective voice required. Graves reading voice is deep and even, and other voices are clearly defined, and I had no trouble following multi person conversations. He managed to get across all the emotions that I maybe missed reading. Because I found I enjoyed this book so much more by listening to it! And because of that, I'm upgrading my original star rating for the book from 3 to 4 stars. 4 stars for the book, 4 stars for the narration 4 stars overall. **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2017-10-09 19:00
Coraline, written and narrated by Neil Gaiman
Coraline - Neil Gaiman,Neil Gaiman,HarperAudio

A very cute nightmarish story for the young adult market.

This audiobook version was read by Neil Gaiman himself and was totally charming.

review 2017-09-27 18:45
The Girls by Emma Cline, narrated by Cady McClain
The Girls: A Novel - Cady McClain,Deutschland Random House Audio,Emma Cline

Evie Boyd was 14 when she joined a cult, even though they didn't call themselves that. They were more like a group of teenage girls surrounding one main guy and a few other male hangers-on. There are few things in this world that can be as cold and selfish as a young girl on the cusp of womanhood.

I listened to this on audio because the premise interested me and it was available. I've always been fascinated with cults and how people get caught up in them. In this case, Evie was young, her parents had just gotten divorced and she was at loose ends for the summer. (Idle hands and all that.) To me, she came off as a spoiled brat looking for attention, but I did come to feel a little sorry for her as the story progressed.

Even though I did enjoy this book, looking back on it-the "cult" members didn't have much depth to them. I can tell you how they looked and what they did, but why they were like they were? I have no clue. I think the charisma that generally pulls people into cults, (think Koresh or Manson), was missing here. I would have liked to know more about them and how they got together.

Cady McClain, the narrator, was excellent and reminded me of the audios of Megan Abbott's books, which I loved.

Overall, I enjoyed The Girls more than I thought I would and I would recommend it to people who, like me, are fascinated by cults and what draws people to them.

Thanks to my awesome library for the audio book loan!

review 2017-09-21 22:35
Go Down Together by Jeff Guinn, narrated by Jonathan Hogan
Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde - Recorded Books LLC,Jeff Guinn,Jonathan Hogan

Turns out that a lot of things I thought I knew about Bonnie and Clyde were not true. They were not a tall and handsome couple like Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. They were also not very smart-both of them spent some in jail and for Clyde that was some hard time. I guess that old adage is right: crime does not pay.

I started to list here all the things I learned from this book, but then I realized that would be spoiling things for everyone else. I decided I'm just going to stick to the main points:

As I said above, they were not smart criminals. They were repeatedly jailed, chased, shot at, etc... They were often injured in these gunfights with police and when I say injured, I mean badly hurt. They were great at stealing cars though, and Clyde liked the Ford V-8's so much he wrote Henry Ford a fan letter about them.

They loved their families and made arrangements to see them often: which just illustrates how clueless and unprepared the law was for fugitives like these. They didn't stake out the houses of Clyde or Bonnie's mothers or their other relatives, until near the very end. If only they had done that, many lives could have been saved.

Clyde and Bonnie loved lavishing their relatives with money and gifts, (when they could), and they both liked to dress nicely. That was about the only luxury they could enjoy, because they were almost always on the run, never able to relax or enjoy themselves. Most of their robberies netted them so little in the way of booty, they were hardly worth the trouble.

Lastly, they truly did love each other. When Bonnie's leg was badly injured, (due to a car chase and subsequent wreck where battery acid leaked all over her), Clyde forever after carried her wherever she needed to go. Bonnie's poetry and writing all showed that she knew they would both come to a bad end, but she loved him and wanted to be with him, even in death. So, I guess that one part of the Hollywood myth is true.

I listened to the audio version of this book. It was detailed, but not too much, and the narrator even added a little humor when the time was right. I learned a lot.

Recommended!