logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audiobook
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-18 03:42
Review: Hounded
Hounded - Kevin Hearne

This was a fun read. I've read a few of the novellas that accompany the series and I knew I would be in for a treat.

Atticus is a 2100-year-old druid trying to live his best life as a bookstore owner in Arizona.  He lives with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon, with whom is is bound.  He has taught Oberon human speech and given him the ability to communicate with him using his mind.  Oberon is a hoot; he's truly the star of the series.

Basically, Atticus has been hiding out in Tempe, Arizona, living a fairly quiet life until one of the old Irish gods decides he's pussyfooted around long enough and finally seeks revenge on Atticus for stealing a magical sword.  Aenghus Óg involves witches, demons, giants, other gods and even death himself to get the sword from Atticus.  But Atticus has his own back-up of vampires (who have ghouls on speed dial), an entire werewolf pack, a powerful sorceress, Irish gods, and of course the ever loyal Oberon.  There are many, many attempts on his life, some of which are seriously close calls.  There is a fighting, gore, sarcasm, and comedy.  It's everything I needed in a book.

review 2018-10-16 03:26
Two people try to keep emotion out of their relationship
No Obligation Required - Kelly Jamieson

I enjoyed this story a lot. Having two people tell this story was interesting. Scarlet Chase and Aiden Snow helped the characters come to life. This was Bailey and Mason's story, second in the series. Two people who do not feel they deserve or have time for a relationship find they actually cannot control things that much. Despite his reservations, Mason was a wonderful person but once in a while became someone I did not like. He seemed real as he fought his emotions, someone to relate to. I loved Bailey's determination and duty to family. Between the two of them, their pasts definitely made me cry as things came to light. I highly recommend this story.

I received a copy of this audiobook as a gift, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-10-13 23:01
The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (audiobook)
The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag - Alan Bradley,Jayne Entwistle

Series: Flavia de Luce #2

This was a solid installment of the Flavia de Luce series. I like Flavia, but I sometimes find her chemistry digressions a bit dull. The narrator managed to capture Flavia's enthusiasm for poisons quite well and overall I thought was a good choice. Honestly, Flavia can be quite a beastly child at times though, like when she pulled the stunt with the chocolates.

I read this audiobook for the Terror in a Small Town square (since Flavia investigates a suspicious death in her small village) for the 2018 Halloween Bingo.

Previous updates:

19 %

review 2018-10-13 22:03
Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (audiobook)
Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett,Celia Imrie

Series: Discworld #6

This is still an early Discworld book, so the world isn't fully fleshed out and Pratchett, although entertaining, still hasn't quite hit his groove. It's the first book with the witches (no, Equal Rites doesn't really count in my book) and we see that Granny Weatherwax isn't nearly as formidable or as wise as she becomes in later books. Greebo does feature, however.

It does have some great moments, which I didn't share this time around because I was listening to the audio version and it's harder to note them. I read this for the Spellbound square for the 2018 Halloween Bingo.

review 2018-10-13 00:42
Not Very Suspenseful
The Child Finder - Rene Denfeld

3 Audiobook great narration
I liked it, not loved it. It might be just a first book in a series, need to get to know the characters better thing. It was a suspense but I never felt that edge if my seat, omg you've got to hurry thing. I like a more adrenaline rushed suspense. I may give it another chance someday.