logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audiobook
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-13 16:28
Great ending!
By Rick Riordan: The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Book 5) - -Disney Hyperion Books for Children-

Wow, this last book in the series was packed full of action and so good! I mean it starts off fast and doesn't slow till the very end as the Campers take on Kronos.  There are a few disgruntled Campers who refuse to fight at first but everyone has their place and time in the battle.

Percy and his friend are doing their best to protect Manhattan where Olympus is because the gods are off fighting other battles which is what Kronos wants. Typhon is causing a huge storm over the midwest and that is where most of the gods are and to normal humans it just looks like a huge and deadly storm not a huge monster.

Percy is worried about making the wrong decisions as everyone thinks he is the hero that will either let Olympus fall or he will save it. He has a lot on his shoulders but the ending was surprising and it was interesting to see what happens to everyone in the end.

As much as I love Percy and Annabelle I think Tyson and Grover will be my favorites from this series! They both just make me laugh especially Tyson! He was so brave!!

I don't want to say a lot about what happened cause it would be horrible to spoil this really good book ending! So just know that I really enjoyed this series and if you haven't tried it yet you really should!! I can't wait to try some more of this author's series now that I got this one done.

review 2017-12-12 04:35
Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit (Audiobook)
Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" - Corey Olsen

Corey Olsen is the Tolkien Professor and has a great podcast where he discusses all things Middle-Earth. It was his podcasts for The Hobbit that first got my attention several years ago. It was slow going, about one or two a month, but it's not that long of a book, right? Well, then he got sidetracked. :D No harm, I got to listen to his brilliant lectures on The Silmarillion and hear some great live discussions about LOTR. Over the years, I lost track of him, but I'd think about his The Hobbit series from time to time. So when I saw that he'd compiled all his The Hobbit podcasts into one audiobook, I had to snatch it up. I originally intended to listen to his analysis instead of rereading the books - as I mentioned, it's not my favorite of Tolkien's works, but I still love the world and the mythology related to it, and somewhere buried under the narrative style is a great work of fiction. I just need someone as enthusiastic about it as Professor Olsen to help me see it.

He does one analysis per chapter, following along with Bilbo's development over the course of the book and his various adventures, dissecting the songs and riddles, and highlighting all the themes and narrative devices. He also goes into the development of the dwarves, the elves and the various other characters they come into contact with. He mostly sticks to The Hobbit, but he ties it in with Tolkien's other works where appropriate. He breaks down each chapter into sections and subjects, and I think that even if you haven't read The Hobbit it'll be easy to follow along.

The only downside to this audiobook are the technical blips. None of the analysis is lost of skipped over, but there are quite a few instances of repeated lines. This could've used an extra pass through quality check. If you can overlook that - the repeated lines are very brief - then I would still recommend giving this a listen. It's great for those who love The Hobbit or, like me, love the world of Middle-Earth and enjoy discussing the events within the book even though the writing style and POV isn't quite to my liking.

review 2017-12-12 03:04
Good listen, loved her love of family
A Valentine Secret - Emily Murdoch

I enjoyed Penelope's love for the family she has, even though they are not blood. She was content, yet hoped for true love. Jonathan needed a smack upside his head although he had good intentions. Listening to this story was a pleasure as the narrator read well and had me seeing the people as the story went on.

I received this audiobook as a gift, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2017-12-11 21:55
Audio Review: Death Masks (The Dresden Files #5) by Jim Butcher (Narrator: James Marsters)
Death Masks - Jim Butcher
Death Masks

The Dresden Files #5
Jim Butcher (Narrator: James Marsters)
Urban Fantasy
Penguin Audiobooks
October 29th 2009
Audiobook
11 hours and 21 minutes
Library

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for:

A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards...

Professional hit men using Harry for target practice...

The missing Shroud of Turin...

A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified...

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semi-vampiric nature. And who seems to have a new man in her life.

Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Death Masks is book five in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

I’ve been enjoy The Dresden Files. This time instead of reading I decide to give the audiobook a try. I have to say Narrator James Marsters was outstanding. He brought all the characters to life. Harry’s voice was just what I expected it to sound like. It was perfection. I plan to try out more in The Dresden Files series in audiobook formate. It was a superb listen.

As for the plot well several things are happening in this installment and not all of it was good. We have some grey areas, some bad, and some good. Harry’s got a lot to deal with.

Susan comes back to say good bye for good and to warn him. She’s been gone a year with no contact and just shows up out of the blue. She could have called Harry, but nope she’s back and finds herself involved in Harry’s investigation. Having her back is painful for him. I’m ready for her to go and not return. Close that door, please…

Besides Susan returning, he’s been sent out on another case to find a missing artifact and their’s a prophecy that involves him and this artifact. Oh Boy!! He’s got choices to make, but their are things that you just can’t walk away from.

And, last the Red Court still wants Harry dead and the war is going strong between Vampires and Wizards. As you can see so much to deal with. What could go wrong?

Death Masks brings us Demons, Vampires, a possible Apocalypse and so much more. I had a fabulous time listening to this story. The audio was well worth listing too. Can’t wait to see what happens next to Harry.

Rated: 4 Stars

Challenge(s): Library Love / Pick Your Genre (UF) / Backlist Reader (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/12/audio-review-death-masks-the-dresden-files-5-by-jim-butcher-narrator-james-marsters
review 2017-12-11 18:29
Fitness Junkie by Lucy Sykes & Jo Piazza
Fitness Junkie: A Novel - Lucy Sykes,Jo Piazza,Susan Bennett

This is a book about wealthy people wasting their money on fad health crazes and one 40ish successful woman’s descent into it all after her business partner who is her childhood friend tells her she is an embarrassment and can no longer be the face of the company she helped build because she’s too fat. And no, very much to my disappointment, she does not stab him to death.

She owns 49% the company and though she’s hurt by his rejection and horrible insults, she silently slinks away and embarks on all of the fad fitness journeys that money can buy. And, apparently, money can buy you a lot of useless diet aides (clay eating?!) and retreats and painful over-priced workouts. Thankfully, I’ll never have enough extra money laying around to throw away on a $50 topless yoga class!

Janie wasn’t too bad as the main character. She’s dealing with a double whammy of betrayal and humiliation and manages to keep on plugging away instead of falling into a fit of “poor me” despair. Despite being a little insecure and very dumb about her business partner, Beau, she’s pretty likable as far as these types go. She knows these things are ridiculous but she goes along with them anyway; drinking strange juices, spending $15,000 on a retreat, eating a little clay, taking her top off and buying a fitness watch thingy that embarrasses her at every turn.

This book does poke fun at Gwyneth Paltrow and her silly Goop-iness but other than that I found it all pretty shallow and only vaguely entertaining and though it promised to be “outrageously funny” it really was not. However, you may have a better sense of humor than I.