logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audiobook
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-22 22:38
Snobbery with Violence by Marion Chesney (audiobook)
Snobbery with Violence (Audio) - Marion Chesney,Davina Porter

Series: Edwardian Murder Mysteries #1

This is an Edwardian mystery with a naïve young woman called Rose and a slightly older gentleman with a war wound as amateur detectives when a woman is found dead at a country house party. The period information was sometimes over-explained, Rose was incredibly naïve, and the mystery was so-so with a lot of cover-ups because of the suspects' positions in society. It took a while to get to the death too because there was a lot of introduction with Rose and Harry before we got to the party. Not sure whether I'll read another one in the series.

I liked the narrator though.

review 2018-06-21 01:47
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1) (Audiobook) - DNF 17%.
The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Technically, this is competently written, and the narrators do a decent job with their parts once I sped up the playback to 1.25 times normal speed. But...

I was bored a lot of the time. It got interesting for awhile. I like Kaladan and Shallan, but they don't make up for the clunky world-building or the overall awkward tone of the writing. This reads like an opus to fanfic much of the time, and it's cringe-worthy fanfic at that.

And the whole lighteyes/darkeyes thing just feels weird. Like the author wanted to include something about racism, but didn't want to start up a sh*tstorm by doing it badly, so decided that eye color made a good alternative. Maybe he heard about Jane Elliot's blue eyes experiment and figured it was a good stand in. It's not though.

If this were only 200 or 300 pages, I might feel compelled to power through to the end, but there are another 800+ pages to this thing, so my patience has run dry.

review 2018-06-20 03:33
Death of a Cozy Writer by G. M. Malliet (audiobook)
Death of a Cozy Writer: A St. Just Mystery - G.M. Malliet,Davina Porter

Series: A St. Just Mystery #1

This was another audiobook that I picked up from the library to have something light to listen to. I wasn't impressed though. It's a modern-day mystery but a lot of the attitudes of the family seem like it would make more sense to be taking place in the 50s or 60s. It's a modern day country house murder, basically.

I don't think I'll be reading another one in this series because the inspector had some eyebrow-raising opinions concerning women dressing professionally and the author took so long setting up the family dynamics that we didn't meet the inspector and have the murder investigation until we'd gotten at least a good third into the book. Possibly more, I can't remember exactly.

Oh well, it passed the time.

review 2018-06-18 16:45
THE SHARING KNIFE PASSAGE by LOIS McMASTER BUJOLD
Passage - Lois McMaster Bujold

Audiobook

I keep forgetting how young Fawn is. I like how the Lakewalkers aren't shown as completely good and the farmers mostly bad. Sad middle imagining what happened to the father and the rest of the crew. Enjoyable book/series. I'm planning on reading more of the series.

review 2018-06-16 22:30
Space Opera
Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy meets Eurovision!!!  Cool concept, right?

I agree that it's a cool concept, but I can't say that I found Space Opera quite as amazeballs as some of the other reviews I've seen here at BookLikes.  Like most Saturday Night Live skits, I felt like Space Opera had one good joke that it tried to milk for just too long,

Perhaps the trouble is partly that I read Space Opera as an audiobook, and as such found the asides on the asides on the asides just a bit hard to follow. Or perhaps it's just that Catherynne M. Valente put a lot of energy into a writing style that I don't enjoy much (I'd previously looked at The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making  but it didn't grab my interest and Six-Gun Snow White didn't quite work for me either).