logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audiobook
Load new posts () and activity
review 2022-07-18 20:24
Review: Cinderella Is Dead
Cinderella is Dead - Kalynn Bayron

This was an amazing book that in the year 2022 hit a little two close to home.  The people of Lille have been subject to to whims of a power-hungry tyrant for over two centuries, with women and girls bearing the brunt of his madness.  Cinderella is dead, and it turns out the story everyone has been told about her is a lie.

This was a beautiful retelling.  So original and thought provoking (considering today's current atmosphere.)  I was completely caught up in the tale.  The characters, even with a few annoying habits, were so likeable.  I was right there in it, fighting with them.  It was well thought out and wonderfully written.   I read along with the ebook, while listening to the audiobook and as usual, Bahni Turpin knocked it out of the park!  She captured the emition of the characters and did amazing distinguishing them with different voices.  This was a 10-out-of-10 would/will read again.

review 2022-03-20 14:05
Review: Impact Winter
Impact Winter - Travis Beacham

This was amazing.  Sometimes a full-cast audiobook can turn into a hot mess, but this was very well done.  The story follows a group of survivors holed up in an old castle.  Seven years prior a comet blacked out the sun and created an endless night.  Then the vampires came.  With the ability to travel without fear of the sun, they basically take over the world.  The story was wonderfully original and kept me engaged.  The voice actors did a excellent job of bringing the story to life.  And though this was a short listen, it didn't feel rushed or have major plot holes.  I have my fingers crossed that there will be a follow-up because I am invested in this world and the characters.

review 2022-03-20 14:00
Review: Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection
Audio Collection - Edgar Allan Poe,Basil Rathbone,Vincent Price

Not even Vincent Price could save this for me.  It's official; while I enjoy some of his stories and poems, overall, I am not a fan of Poe.

show activity (+)
review 2021-12-30 04:46
Review: A Christmas Story
A Christmas Story - Jean Shepherd,Dick Cavett

More of a 3.75.  I have the ebook and the audiobook.  I listened the the audiobook and it was the most disappointing part of the book.  Being used to hearing Jean Shepard's narration, it was a shock to the system to hear someone else telling the story.  Especially because their narration was bland and a little momotoned.  All of the movie is there--with minor changes here and there.  The story switches back and forth between older Ralphie's present day and him flashing back to memories from his childhood.  It isn't all one long story based on Christmas like in the movie.  It was funny and a little weird considering I have been watching the movie multiple times a year since the 80's.  The story of the movie is ingrained in my memory, so it was odd hearing the story as a mish-mash of seperate memories.  Not a bad story, though I do regret purchasing the audio version.

review 2021-12-30 04:36
Review: Welcome To Night Vale
Welcome to Night Vale - Jeffrey Cranor,Cecil Baldwin,Joseph Fink

Wowzers!  This was so similar and different to the podcast.  I had head of Night Vale for quite some time and when I saw the book on sale a while ago, I decided I should find out what it was all about.  But it sat on my shelf for and embarrassingly long time.  I finally checked out the podcast this year and was instantly hooked on the world, the craziness of it all and "The Voice of Night Vale" Cecil.  When I decided to finally read this, I thought it would be awesome to listen to tha audio while reading along--cuz Cecil.  I swear I would listen to him read stereo instructions.

Anyway, this was a very indepth story about Diane and her form-shifting son, Josh and the unaging Jackie.  This had all of the weirdness and shenanigans of Night Vale.  Time is a mess and there are multiple Troys spread across mutliple towns bringing the mess of Night Vale to other times and wreaking all kids of havoc.  This is full of adventure and mystery.  It was an excellent read/listen.