logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audiobooks
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-14 08:46
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection - Carol Burnett

As I said in my recent status update, I loved this book.  The Carol Burnett show was such a staple growing up in the 70's; it wasn't until I started reading/listening to this book that I realised how much I missed the kind of comedy she and her cast served up every week.

The book is broken into individual anecdotes that cover her early life and career.  Almost all of them are light, interesting, amusing and often laugh-out-loud hilarious.  A couple towards the end will bring tears as she relates particularly heartbreaking moments, but mostly the tears are from laughing so hard.

I don't know how well this book's promise would translate for anyone who hadn't at least watched a few episodes of The Carol Burnett Show, but for those that have and enjoyed it, this is a welcome trip down memory lane.

Burnett herself reads the book, and she does an amazing job.  At no point did it ever feel like she was 'reading' anything; her delivery is as natural as if she was right there talking to you.

I'm thrilled to find out she released another book last year, In Such Good Company.  All behind the scenes stories from the show.  It's taking all my self control to not check it out and immediately start listening, but I'm going to make myself listen to a book from my shelves first.

review 2018-02-07 19:34
Not exactly a review
Conspirata - Robert Harris
Imperium - Robert Harris

I loved listening to these two books! Therefore, I am incredibly disappointed to see that Hoopla does not have the third in audio. I will definitely have to check other sources - and get them all in paper format to read again. Great stuff!

Funny thing, I only started reading these because I am writing about Reginald Pole and he made his own annotated book of the writings of Cicero, so I thought I should get an idea of what Cicero was like. If these novels are any indication, I like him just as much as good old Reggie did.

review 2018-02-06 04:36
Murder on the Links
Murder on the Links - John Moffatt,Agatha Christie
Murder on the Links - Agatha Christie

Meh.  But probably 'meh' because I listened to the BBC Audio full cast dramatisation and it wasn't as well scripted, or whatever it is they do, than the last one, Crooked House.  It was shorter, but somehow much more scattered, less cohesive.

What I can say that applies to any edition of this book is that:

1.  Dumb title; there's nothing here to do with golf, except the location of the body.

2.  I really can't stand Poirot.  Sorry, but I just wanted to reach through the speakers and yank on his silly moustaches.  Hastings doesn't come through so well here either, although that might have been how he was played in the audio; hopeless romantic falling instantly in love?  Ugh.

I'm going to have to read the print book to have anything more to say, i.e. plot and characterisation.  The murderer in this one totally blindsided me, but how much of that is to Christie's credit and how much because I never knew quite what was going on, I can't say.

review 2018-02-02 03:28
Crooked House
Crooked House - Rory Kinnear,Anna Maxwell,Phil Davis,Agatha Christie
Crooked House - Agatha Christie

I checked this BBC Adaptation of from my library because I was in a hurry and it said "unabridged", but it has to be abridged somehow.  It was only 1 hour and 45 minutes long?  It's a full cast dramatisation though, and perhaps that allowed it to tell the full story without all the descriptive text and 'he said' stuff.

Either way, it was an excellent production, although it's obviously meant to be seen as well as heard, so some of the sound effects didn't work as well as they could have (the 'love' scenes just sounded... damp).  I thoroughly enjoyed the production once I got used to the format.  But I will read this book in print at some point; I want to know if I've missed any subtleties that Christie is famous for.

The story is one of my favorites so far - definitely darker than her usual, but not as bad as I feared at all.  I admit I guessed the murderer, but only because I suspect the actor played the part too well.  Something was said midway - I can't even remember what - and I thought, it's probably 'x'.  I was never sure, and Christie almost let me astray at one point, but the reveal wasn't the shocking twist it might have been.  It didn't diminish my enjoyment in the least.

I have one other of these dramatisations checked out for Murder on the Links and I'm going to go ahead and listen to it (I think golf is boring, so I need the drama), but after that I'll take the time to hunt down the full, true audiobooks of Christie's work; at least for the first read.

review 2018-01-31 00:27
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)
Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) - Frederick Davidson,Jerome K. Jerome
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) - Jerome K. Jerome

As part of my plan to knock off TBR books quicker by checking out audio versions, I started this book just at the tail end of last year, but didn't make enough progress before holidays, so picked it back up this month.  But there were problems:

My first audio, checked out from my local library, was a popular edition with holds, so my check-out expired before I could finish it and I couldn't renew - there are currently still 2 holds on it before mine.

When I went to dig out my paperback copy to finish reading it, I couldn't find it.  I remember showing it to MT because he'd heard mention of the book somewhere, and now neither of us can find it.  Not a happy camper.

Because my library copy has numerous holds, I went to a neighbouring system I have a card with and checked out their audio edition - a different one, but it's narrated by Hugh Laurie, and he can't suck right?  Right.  But when it ended much sooner than I expected it to, I discovered it's abridged.

SO - I'm reviewing it anyway and when I get home there will be a possibly violent rummage through the house and the paperback will be found.  At which point I will figure out what I missed.  It doesn't really matter though, because the book is lovely.  Light, amusing, entertaining and often poetic.  While Hugh Laurie was brilliant, I think I have to give an extra nudge to Frederick Davidson's edition.  He adds a certain ironic gravitas to his reading that makes lightly amusing anecdotes hilarious.

Highly recommended in any form.