logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: between-2-and-3-stars-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2013-09-12 03:34
The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

Even Shakespeare Gets Negative Rating Review

Narrated by LA Theatre Works

I usually like the casting by LA Theatre Works but this time I did not. Perhaps it is because I have seen at least 3 different film versions of Romeo and Juliet to color my expectations. I felt that the cast had a modern cadence to their lines but otherwise, the acting was not too bad.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2013-08-20 03:37
Hope the Film Is Better
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Hope the Film Is Better Review

2.5 stars

My first literary exposure to this author's work was Clockwork Angel. I borrowed it from the library, and after multiple renewals and late fees, I read about 2-3 pages and returned it. The following year or so I read of the opposition to the casting of Godfrey Gao for the popular minor character, Magnus Bane, for the film version of City of Bones on my GR feed, accompanied by a really hot picture of him. I fell in love (j/k). The author's stalwart defense of an ASIAN actor for a character of Asian descent impressed me enough to decide that I was going to see the movie when it came out, which meant that I ought to read the book before I saw the film, right?

Long story short, I hope that the movie is better than the book.

review 2013-07-22 03:58
Shoggoth's Old Peculiar - Jouni Koponen,Neil Gaiman

So Peculiar It Went Over My Head Review

2.5 - 3 stars

Narrated by Neil Gaiman

Free short story from Audible, previous published in a collection of short stories by the author in Smoke and Mirrors, and read by the author.

"Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" - It was an odd short story, as I find all of this author's works. It was occasionally amusing. Maybe it was outright hysterical. I don't know; I might be missing some elements of British humor completely as I did in Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I was not familiar with H.P. Lovecraft. Should I have been? Would I have understood the humor better? I don't know. I didn't under much of the discussion, and had difficulty focusing as a result.

review 2013-06-09 16:36
Kristin's Demotion - Lorenzo Marks

Kink Extreme Review

2.5 stars

I have mixed feelings about this book which makes it difficult to rate. On the one hand, in terms of the eroticism, I would rate it pretty high; I really liked it. On the other hand, I experienced some discomfort which ultimately had me rating somewhat lower.

review 2013-06-07 16:26
One Tiny Miracle... - Carol Marinelli

Not Much Info Review

2.5 stars

Liked it but not as much as I liked Emergency: Wife Lost and Found. It got pretty depressing whenever Ben thought about his loss, and then frustrating as he went hot and cold toward Celeste. I admired Celeste for standing up for herself and for her baby even though it would have been easier to quickly accept Ben's declaration of love. I did find Ben's acceptance of Celeste's demand rather sudden.

One thing I do appreciate with this author's medical romances is how real the hospital setting and the medical characters seem. On the other hand, although this takes place in Australia, I did not get any sense of Australia at all.