logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: blackadder
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-12-15 00:00
The Raven's Heart: A Story of a Quest, a Castle and Mary Queen of Scots
The Raven's Heart: A Story of a Quest, a Castle and Mary Queen of Scots - Jesse Blackadder The end really saved this book. If the first 3/4 had been as good as the last 1/4, this would have easily been a five star read.
review 2014-02-13 00:00
Blackadder Goes Forth (MP3 Book)
Blackadder Goes Forth (MP3 Book) - Richard Curtis,Stephen Fry,Ben Elton,Robbie Coltrane At first I thought, why the hell is this tv series listed on Goodreads? As much as I love it, I'm not sure this is the place for it.

Or is it? The Blackadder series, four in all, follow a comical meanie for a span of about 600 years over Britain's colorful history, touching on the Medieval, Renaissance, Romance and Modern eras. Besides the historical leaders, political figures and famous faces of the day, many a writer gets pilloried. Robbie Coltrane plays a great bombastic Samuel Johnson in an episode that also includes characterizations of Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelly and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

description

However, the real reason this tv show deserves inclusion here, I believe, is for the excellent writing of the scripts. While learning the scriptwriting process I studied an episode of Blackadder and discovered that they crammed in approximately 400 laugh-getting gags in a 30 minute episode, and many of them contained razor-sharp wit (a few of them admittedly were quite slapsticky, but hell, Shakespeare invented that shit!). There are times when the show was almost lyrical in its bittersweet beauty (see the final episode of the 4th series to see what I mean).

It may not be literature, but there was damn good writing on that show!
review 2013-06-08 00:00
Chasing the Light - Jesse Blackadder This was pretty amazing. Be aware that there are very graphic descriptions of whaling and whale processing in the book.
review 2013-01-30 00:00
True History of the Blackadder: The Unadulterated Tale of the Creation of a Comedy Legend: The Unadulterated History of the Creation of a Comedy Legend - J. F. Roberts A great book for a great series. A very well researched piece (bordering on obsessive), with a wealth of information that even the most knowledgable fan of the show should find something new on reading it. If you have an interest in Blackadder then this book is a must.
review 2013-01-22 00:00
The Raven's Heart: A Story of a Quest, a Castle and Mary Queen of Scots - Jesse Blackadder I had won this book through Meg of A Bookish Affair (http://abookishaffair.blogspot.com/). Thanks again, Meg!

This is a book I personally wouldn't buy but when I read Meg's review I got interested and wanted to read it too. And I am glad I did. This historical romance tells about the struggles of a family that has been robbed of their castle and that tries desperately to get the ownership of it back. Robbie/Alison starts serving Mary the queen of Scotland in order to achieve that, but things turn out a little differently.

Interview with the author in The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/australia-culture-blog/2013/sep/11/jesse-blackadder-ravens-heart-interview