logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: blogging
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-26 22:43
Yellow Owl Workshop'so Make it Yours by Christine Schmidt
Yellow Owl Workshop's Make It Yours: Pat... Yellow Owl Workshop's Make It Yours: Patterns and Inspiration to Stamp, Stencil, and Customize Your Stuff - Christine Schmidt

While I like the designs and crafts focused on in this book. I feel some entries are just the same as others with different fabric or different print. Same basic idea used over and over. Some sections are very simple, like using stamps... and a lot of these selections use stamps.

The directions are easy to follow. The picures are colorful and attractive. It is a pretty hefty book at about 192 pages and the pages themselves are made of a sturdy paper with a pink color making it easy on the eyes (I have found recently that bright white with black lettering really strains my eyes).

For someone who is a beginner at wanting to learn how to create hand stamped pattern printed fabric this may be useful, but I feel there are better selections out there. All in all I see this as possibly being useful to someone, but never would I pay the stamped on the back price of US $22.00/$29.00 CAN. The Kindle version as of now is listed at $15.99, too much.

I wouldn't say I dislike this, but I have a difficult time seeing how to justly the purchase price for the content.

about the author:

CHRISTINE SCHMIDT is an artist and the founder of Yellow Owl Workshop, a San Francisco–based paper goods company known for its sophisticated yet playful aesthetic. She is also the author of the bestselling Print Workshop and Yellow Owl’s Little Prints. Yellow Owl Workshop products are available in stores and worldwide at YellowOwlWorkshop.com.

AMAZON US

Review copy provided free of charge through Blogging for Books.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-04-30 11:32
April 2017 Wrap-Up

17333171

I was mostly happy with this installment. Kate seemed back to her true kickass self. However, her getting together with Curran reminds me of what happened when Kate & Castle finally came together on the show, Castle. Too smooth and too sweet to be real!

20519003

Steven Brust is one of my favorite authors. His books soothe me when things get really rough, which is why I will hoard them until I can’t anymore and have to read them! He is also sweet enough to reply to his readers and followers on Twitter. I forget how to exhale every time he responds to me though!

9779094.jpg

This book featured twin Frankenstein brothers. One of the quotes that stayed with me:
I looked at my brother. I often had the uncanny feeling that I was waiting for his show of emotions so I could better know my own.

1.jpg

Betsy continues to be her clueless self yet manages to kick butt. For all the times that everyone around her sells her short, she still defeats the bad guys all by herself.

2.jpg

Okay, how do I describe my issues with this book? It wanted you to think it was doing something new or unique but it wasn’t. It is the same YA formula where someone utterly powerful has been waiting for our heroine for thousands and thousands of years. Our heroine kept finding things that were supposedly untouched by anyone else yet in places that are very likely to be discovered. The story couldn’t make up its mind about whether it wanted to be YA or adult. And then, we find out that she is the reincarnated version of one of the three main deities. So, not a good fit for me.

3.jpg

This one took me by surprise. The writing is disjointed to the extreme and yet it as musical as one of the characters in it who can only speak in music! It also involved a multiracial same sex couple but the romance didn’t sound made up. One of the characters wasn’t almost feminine despite their talking the way they did. I mean if someone can pull that off, I’d want to read other things written by them. The guy talked in musical notes, y’all! Anyway, I liked the book and everything about it, except for the ending, which was a letdown. I needed more!

4.jpg

Gah, don’t even get me started on this one. The only reason I’m continuing to read this book is because I want to finish the series. It is one thing to ask the reader to suspend their disbelief, it is something completely different to ask them not to use any kind of logic at all. I mean, the woman has been mind-raped for a decade and one day with our hero is enough to undo all of that. I get that she feels safe with him but dude! Then there’s also this issue of the evolution of the series. It isn’t like there is no evolution. It just isn’t happening fast enough. Let’s see how I stick with this series and the spinoff that has made its appearance on the bookstands.

Currently Reading.jpg

I am reading this one for Work Bingo since I rolled the dice to a Based on a Myth shelf.

Currently Eyeing.jpg

5.jpg

Officially, I’ve started reading this one since you will find it on my TBR. However, I have yet to finish even a chapter. Luckily, I did find a copy at the Liberty Book Bazaar this month and I think I’d be more likely to finish this gargantuan volume with a physical copy in my hands. More about my book booty for this month in this post.
review 2017-04-27 19:52
Saffire
Saffire: A Novel - Sigmund Brouwer

Saffire is a really fun and mysterious book. There the main character is brought to Panama Canal to do something and to have chat with General. You get a good history about the time period. You also get a romance and action packed.

What will happen to Holt? There are some historical characters in the book. Sigmund does a wonderful job of tells the facts about 1909. The year may by a bit off but the facts stated are true. You will find that at the end of the book.

If you enjoy historical fiction, you will enjoy this book. It tells of the building of the Panama Canal. I like that fell. It also gives a little mystery along with the action in the book.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2017/04/saffire.html
review 2017-04-26 03:13
City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett
City of Blades - Robert Jackson Bennett

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was one impressive read! I read the first book in this series, City of Stairs, a few months ago and really enjoyed it so I was really excited to finally get around to reading the second book in the series, City of Blades. A lot of times the second book in a series doesn't quite live up to the first so I was a bit worried going into the book. There was no need for any worry because as good as the first book was, this one was even better. I had such a hard time putting this book down and when I was away from it, I couldn't get it out of my mind.

I had really expected this book to focus on the same group of characters and I was somewhat wrong. The main character in this book is Mulaghesh who did play an important role in the first book but was not the lead character. I liked Mulaghesh in the first book but I absolutely loved her in this installment. Getting to learn some of her back story really opened up her character. She is tough, smart, and somewhat haunted by her past. I love the an older woman who has seen and done a lot of things is the person at the center of this story.

This book takes place in Voortyashtan which was very different than the setting of the first book. This meant that while some of the world building did build on the what was established in the previous book, a lot of this world was entirely new. The City of Blades ended up being something I would have never imagined but as it was described it I almost felt as if I were there. I really feel like there is almost no boundaries with what this series can explore.

The story in this book was very exciting. I did think that some of the earlier parts of the book were a bit tedious as I tried to figure out what was really going on. When the story took off, it really didn't let up. There are so many different things to solve that are all interconnected. The story took quite a few twists that I didn't see coming. I was a bit nervous as I read because I had no idea how things would work out for Mulaghesh and everyone.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This is the second book in the series and I do think that this series really needs to be read in order. The stories are not a continuation but the events of the first book really impacted the characters and the world they live in. I can't wait to see what is going to happen in City of Miracles!

I received a review copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Broadway Books via Blogging for Books and NetGalley.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-25 17:21
Weirding It Out with Weird Enough: Dune Re-Read Update #4

Brief Recap:

1. Paul & Jessica finally meet Fremen, Stilgar's clan, who are about to kill them but are convinced to take them along. This decision is due to convergence of multiple factors, including Kyne's (who is the Liet) last decree to the Fremen, Jessica's sharp mind, BG myth-seeding, Fremen legends, the duo's weirding ability to fight etc.

2. Kyne is left to die in the desert by Harkonnen and takes part in a huge info dump before he kicks it. The main idea behind that dump and what Stilgar lets on to mother & son is that the Fremen are slowly amassing enough water to change the face of Arrakis. It won't happen in a day, it won't even happen in their time, but the world'd better watch out when it does!

3. We meet Paul's future intended, Chani, who is also Kyne's daughter & Stilgar's niece. Paul struggles with the pressure of the impending bloody future, crippling presence of prescience, and killing a person not because his life was in danger but because the Fremen was an idiot! The Fremen's wife and two sons are now under his care and will remain so for at least a year. His legend continues to grow and overshadow what he is trying to do.

4. Jessica enters into a whole ritual back at the Fremen settlement and walks out irreversibly changing her unborn daughter and with the memories of the previous Reverend Mothers.

5. Harkonnen is his evil, loathsome self but Feyd isn't a lightweight either. Then there is the emperor who is trying to make things uncomfortable for the both of them.

6. Of the Atreides can, Idaho is dead, Hawat has been employed by Harkonnen (and seems to be driving a wedge between the Duke & his nephew), & Halleck is on board a Guild ship along with a few of his men.

Find the rest of the review here, here and, here.

This time, we started at the beginning of the third book and read all the way to the end.

A summary of what happened:

1. Paul kicks Harkonnen, Guild, and Royal ass and takes over the world!

The Major Players

My Thoughts

Wow! I thought there wasn't that many pages left for all that to happen and I could not have been wrong. When I think back on everything that happened, it seems as if the author first intended Dune to be just one novel and not a sweeping series. I mean, that could be the reason behind packing so much of action in the last third of a novel that was not too thick to begin with.

This part of the story was filled with amazing lines that made my eyes pop out quite a few times.

Consider the time when Paul faced 3 Sardaukars and refused to be cowed, instead saying:

and these two ver different interactions with Gurney:

Surprisingly, after all the doom and gloom, this part seemed lighter to me, even though it had a climactic battle etc. For instance, we find out that Paul tried to go where even Reverend Mothers are scared of stepping. This is the conversation between Jessica and Chani while they stand over Paul's head and argue:

"How could you do such a foolish thing?

He is your son", Chani said.

Then, there were some deep insights that we hear from Paul as he evolves and becomes wiser. Thinking about Sardaukar, he muses:

They'd never known anything but victory which, Paul realized, could be a weakness in itself.

Saddened about Stilgar's awe and obedience for the Lisan al-Gaib, Paul thinks:

It was a lessening of the man, and Paul felt the ghost-wind of the jihad in it.

I have seen a friend become a worshipper, he thought.

We also see changes in Paul's and Jessica's characters and it was amazing to read how far they've come. Paul still has some of the bitterness towards how his mother treated him. When she asks him about the many legends that the Fremen believed about him, he scoffs at her and replies:

"A Bene Gesserit should ask about legends?" he asked.

"I've had a hand in whatever you are", she admitted.

The admission from Jessica isn't the only evidence that she has changed. She doesn't know if she wants to leave this harsh planet and go back to a life of opulence. Moreover, at one point, she gives Paul her blessings that he should marry out of love and not to make a political match.

So Shipping These Two!

She even starts to equate herself with Chani:

While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine -- history will call us wives.

Weird Enough's Musings

Yes, I missed writing the last review. Guilty as charged. But now that I have finished Dune, I CAN FANGIRL PROPERLY! HOW AMAZING WAS THIS!!! Why, WHYYY had I not read this before! I will be forever grateful to my book dealer, aka Midu, for showing me the right path in the literary world.

Sooo, starting after Leto dies, we see Paul showing signs of the Kwisatz Haderach (but of course we knew that). The shocking thing was how quickly he grew from being a smart kid to understanding fully what he had become. His BG training and the fact that he was a Mentat combines to give him skills to see possibilities in the future. It makes him, as he says, “a freak.” (That right there broke my heart when he says that). It’s not fair for someone so young to see all the different ways that he can die.

Anyway, Paul moves on to become lead the badass Fremen while the Lady Jessica becomes the Reverend Mother. But, in the process, she shares the knowledge and memories with the fetus inside her. The girl who is then born is not a normal child, and many Fremen women are afraid of the way she carries herself like an adult—which, technically, she is.

I think I should mention here that I simply LOVED the details that made this book so real. The politics, the religion, the layered meaning of words, the ecology and how the Fremen adapted to it, the Shai Hulud and how it fits into the ecology, the weapons, the stillsuits—EVERYTHING! I loved how it all came together so perfectly (this was mainly why I actually Googled “How long did it take Frank Herbert to write Dune?” I just couldn’t believe that so much detail could be put into a book that has been worked on for a couple of years. Just for reference: it took Herbert six years).

Okay so back to the story. I appreciate how Paul takes the lead, even beating his own mother when it comes to observing a situation and handling it like a pro. His relationship with Chani was very sweet. I love how he cares for the Fremen and chooses another way when he is pressured to kill Stilgar.

The Baron’s death scene was great in the sense that with all the build-up of his schemes and villainy, his death wasn’t so special after all (what I mean is that we don’t see him thrashing and twisting away in agony as a typical book villain is usually “supposed” to when he is being killed). He loses what respect he had in front of the Emperor, and before he gets a chance to even take it back, Alia (Paul’s sister) kills him with a gom jabbar.

The Siblings Together

The fight between Paul and Feyd-Rautha was super-satisfying. :D I was all DIE YOU LITTLE BITCH during the fight (it is really, really, really difficult to keep a straight face, and not make any noise when you are reading the most exciting parts while commuting, just so you know).

The bonding at the end between Chani and Jessica hits you. Jessica doesn’t approve of Chani, mainly because her BG training keeps her thinking that she is not the right match for Paul—that he should be married to someone with a higher lineage. Her views change when Chani essentially saves Paul’s life. And when Paul sees Princess Irulan (the daughter of the Emperor) as the key to his success in the future, and plans to marry her, Chani becomes insecure.

Princess Irulan

This probably reminds Jessica of her own position as the Duke’s concubine, and the book ends with this powerful quote:

“Think on it, Chani: the princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine - never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us wives.”

Okay, since this is going to be the last instalment, here's all the fun stuff that I came across:

Make Sandworm Bread Today!

The Gummy-Worm World of Dune

Make your own Maker Hooks

And an interview with Frank Herbert himself in which he discusses the ecology of the world that he created!

Featured Image

We had an amazing time with this re-read. We hope you did too! Keep checking this spot to find out, if we do decide to continue with the other books in the series or not!