logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: blogging
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-17 23:37
Holiday Cookies
Holiday Cookies: Showstopping Recipes to Sweeten the Season - Elisabet der Nederlanden

This has some amazing pictures for each recipe. While flipping through the book I really wanted... Pie!?!? and cookies... but I have really been wanting a chocolate cream pie. Never got the pie, but did make some cookies using one of these recipes. Some of the best cookies I have ever eaten.

In this you will find almost every holiday cookie recipe you can think of. The directions are easy to follow, and from the ones I tested the ingredient measurements are spot on, as are the cook times and temps.

In the back there is a template for a gingerbread house. I really feel it will come in handy when Christmas comes around. Hopefully this years attempt will turn out and I won't end up at the store buying a prepaid kit and trying to pass it off as homemade. Also, this very much reminded me of something I would expect Martha Stewart to publish, that is a compliment because I consider that woman the queen of making the season festive and yummy.

ELISABET DER NEDERLANDEN is a passionate professional baker and a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has worked as a food stylist and professional recipe developer/tester for commercial, advertising, and packaging projects. In addition, she has managed recipe testing and food styling for more than 30 cookbooks.

Amazon US

review 2017-09-07 03:32
City of Miracles
City of Miracles - Robert Jackson Bennett

This is the final book to what has been a great trilogy. The world building is some of the best I have ever read, but the characters are what make this series truly amazing. Each book takes us a few years further into the future than the previous, and stars a different protagonist.

In this the author took me by surprise from the very beginning of this book and really hit my emotions. I expected it from the book blurb, but I was hoping it was some sort of wonky slide of hand where the author makes you believe something was going to happen, but then something changes.

This one is as good as the previous books, but in a different way. It is an amazing closing to what will always be one of my favorite fantasy series ever read.

Robert Jackson Bennett is a two-time award winner of the Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novel, an Edgar Award winner for Best Paperback Original, and is also the 2010 recipient of the Sydney J Bounds Award for Best Newcomer, and a Philip K Dick Award Citation of Excellence. His sixth novel, City of Blades, is in stores now.

He lives in Austin with his wife and son. He can be found on Twitter at @robertjbennett.

Amazon US

I received a copy of this book from Blogging for Books.

review 2017-06-26 22:43
Yellow Owl Workshop'so Make it Yours by Christine Schmidt
Yellow Owl Workshop's Make It Yours: Pat... Yellow Owl Workshop's Make It Yours: Patterns and Inspiration to Stamp, Stencil, and Customize Your Stuff - Christine Schmidt

While I like the designs and crafts focused on in this book. I feel some entries are just the same as others with different fabric or different print. Same basic idea used over and over. Some sections are very simple, like using stamps... and a lot of these selections use stamps.

The directions are easy to follow. The picures are colorful and attractive. It is a pretty hefty book at about 192 pages and the pages themselves are made of a sturdy paper with a pink color making it easy on the eyes (I have found recently that bright white with black lettering really strains my eyes).

For someone who is a beginner at wanting to learn how to create hand stamped pattern printed fabric this may be useful, but I feel there are better selections out there. All in all I see this as possibly being useful to someone, but never would I pay the stamped on the back price of US $22.00/$29.00 CAN. The Kindle version as of now is listed at $15.99, too much.

I wouldn't say I dislike this, but I have a difficult time seeing how to justly the purchase price for the content.

about the author:

CHRISTINE SCHMIDT is an artist and the founder of Yellow Owl Workshop, a San Francisco–based paper goods company known for its sophisticated yet playful aesthetic. She is also the author of the bestselling Print Workshop and Yellow Owl’s Little Prints. Yellow Owl Workshop products are available in stores and worldwide at YellowOwlWorkshop.com.

AMAZON US

Review copy provided free of charge through Blogging for Books.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-04-30 11:32
April 2017 Wrap-Up

17333171

I was mostly happy with this installment. Kate seemed back to her true kickass self. However, her getting together with Curran reminds me of what happened when Kate & Castle finally came together on the show, Castle. Too smooth and too sweet to be real!

20519003

Steven Brust is one of my favorite authors. His books soothe me when things get really rough, which is why I will hoard them until I can’t anymore and have to read them! He is also sweet enough to reply to his readers and followers on Twitter. I forget how to exhale every time he responds to me though!

9779094.jpg

This book featured twin Frankenstein brothers. One of the quotes that stayed with me:
I looked at my brother. I often had the uncanny feeling that I was waiting for his show of emotions so I could better know my own.

1.jpg

Betsy continues to be her clueless self yet manages to kick butt. For all the times that everyone around her sells her short, she still defeats the bad guys all by herself.

2.jpg

Okay, how do I describe my issues with this book? It wanted you to think it was doing something new or unique but it wasn’t. It is the same YA formula where someone utterly powerful has been waiting for our heroine for thousands and thousands of years. Our heroine kept finding things that were supposedly untouched by anyone else yet in places that are very likely to be discovered. The story couldn’t make up its mind about whether it wanted to be YA or adult. And then, we find out that she is the reincarnated version of one of the three main deities. So, not a good fit for me.

3.jpg

This one took me by surprise. The writing is disjointed to the extreme and yet it as musical as one of the characters in it who can only speak in music! It also involved a multiracial same sex couple but the romance didn’t sound made up. One of the characters wasn’t almost feminine despite their talking the way they did. I mean if someone can pull that off, I’d want to read other things written by them. The guy talked in musical notes, y’all! Anyway, I liked the book and everything about it, except for the ending, which was a letdown. I needed more!

4.jpg

Gah, don’t even get me started on this one. The only reason I’m continuing to read this book is because I want to finish the series. It is one thing to ask the reader to suspend their disbelief, it is something completely different to ask them not to use any kind of logic at all. I mean, the woman has been mind-raped for a decade and one day with our hero is enough to undo all of that. I get that she feels safe with him but dude! Then there’s also this issue of the evolution of the series. It isn’t like there is no evolution. It just isn’t happening fast enough. Let’s see how I stick with this series and the spinoff that has made its appearance on the bookstands.

Currently Reading.jpg

I am reading this one for Work Bingo since I rolled the dice to a Based on a Myth shelf.

Currently Eyeing.jpg

5.jpg

Officially, I’ve started reading this one since you will find it on my TBR. However, I have yet to finish even a chapter. Luckily, I did find a copy at the Liberty Book Bazaar this month and I think I’d be more likely to finish this gargantuan volume with a physical copy in my hands. More about my book booty for this month in this post.
review 2017-04-27 19:52
Saffire
Saffire: A Novel - Sigmund Brouwer

Saffire is a really fun and mysterious book. There the main character is brought to Panama Canal to do something and to have chat with General. You get a good history about the time period. You also get a romance and action packed.

What will happen to Holt? There are some historical characters in the book. Sigmund does a wonderful job of tells the facts about 1909. The year may by a bit off but the facts stated are true. You will find that at the end of the book.

If you enjoy historical fiction, you will enjoy this book. It tells of the building of the Panama Canal. I like that fell. It also gives a little mystery along with the action in the book.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2017/04/saffire.html