logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-box
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-06-26 22:17
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Book 7 - J.K. Rowling,Jim Dale

Harry Potter, Book 7

Re-Read:
June 17 - June 26 2019

I finished listening to this book today, the last in the series on the anniversary of the first book being published. Something about the merge of beginning and ending feels so special to me. Re-exploring this series through audiobook has been a wonderful ride and one I’m sure I will take again. These books lose no wonder, joy, amazement, sadness, astonishment or magic over the years.

The Deathly Hallows is the book in the series I am least familiar with as I have only read it once before this so the surprises were truly surprising. The joy and sorrow I felt was so familiar but still somehow new. Harry, Ron and Hermoine’s sacrifices, the determination of those against Voldermort and the valor shown resonate deeply throughout the book. I feel a small whole in my heart now that it is over.

review 2019-06-26 20:24
Justified by Jay Crownover
Justified (Loveless Book 1) - Jay Crownover

If there was anyone I didn't expect to lean on when my own house of cards went up in flames a few years later, it was the newly appointed sheriff of Loveless, Texas, Case Lawton.

When Aspen moved to the small town of Loveless, Texas, her pale skin and black clothes had kids calling her “weirdo girl”. The one bright spot was Case Lawton, a popular jock who Aspen had a big crush on and treated her with kindness.

Nine years later, Aspen is back in Loveless, married to the town rich boy and a lawyer trying to fight for women and children usually ignored by the system. She gets pressured by her father-in-law to represent Case's ex-wife in their divorce, any sweet high school memories are in danger of getting wiped away.

Case was the town golden boy who had circumstances work against him to finally be able to leave Loveless for good. His corrupt sheriff father was a nightmare to live with and as his boss, Case does all he can to limit any damage his father can do now. Even though its been nine years later, he still blames Aspen Barlow for helping to take away his son. When it looks like her life is in danger, as the new sheriff, he won't act like his father and let personal grudges dictate how he does his job, so he puts himself in charge of her safety.

From high school friends, to enemies, to forced proximity, Aspen and Case might finally end up where they belonged all along.

There were worse things in the world than being the focus of Case Lawton's concern. I just had to remind myself not to get used to it.

After all, he was only doing his job.

The first full length novel in the Loveless, Texas series, we are introduced and reacquainted with some characters from Crownover's other books. I wish I had read the starter novella to this series, as I felt like I was missing out on some introduction to this town and to the Lawton family. Case's sister Kody was a developed secondary character and we got some scenes that provided insight into their sibling relationship but I felt that lacking with Case's younger brother Crew, who was the star of the novella. The Lawton siblings seem to have a tight knit relationship but Crew remained in the shadows too much for me to fully feel this, helping to fill out insights to Case's character and personality. The trauma filled childhood these three seemed to have had, felt emotionally removed here; this could have been more addressed in the novella.

The same could be said about Aspen's relationship with her parents, I had troubles fully grasping her background. I was missing some emotions from her childhood and relationship with her parents (this becomes even more important as it plays a big role in the ending) and an understanding and feel for her relationship with her ex-husband. They're not the core of the story but they are a foundation for Aspen's character that I felt was missing and caused me to not fully grasp her.

My hands tightened into fists in front of me, and I lifted my head so I could look at her in the mirror. Her dark eyes met mine with a mischievous gleam.

What exactly are you doing, Counselor?”

She laughed, and the puff of air was warm against my shoulder. “I honestly have no idea, but it's the only thing that's felt right in a very long time. You said no kissing. This isn't kissing.” Her thumb traced the delineated lines on my lower abdomen, and her fingernails dragged through the thin trail of dark hair that arrowed below my belly button.

For the most part, I believed in the journey Aspen and Case went on from friends, to enemies, to hot and heavy for each other. I thought there was enough relayed to see why Aspen liked Case growing up, how Case placed blame on Aspen (I thought there were too many scenes of Aspen mentally playing martyr over being the ex-wife's lawyer), and these two had sexual chemistry. I can't say I totally bought into their “I love yous”, though. Whether it was missing some background foundation to their characters, not enough scenes hashing out, growing together, or depth, I thought they both got to love too quickly. Some of the sexual situations felt awkward, as they were immediate fade to black, leaving a feeling of “what happened now” and others were deliciously drawn out, bathroom scene, anyone?

As I mentioned, Crownover brings over some previous characters seen in her other series, Sons of Sorrow with Marine Shot and even Case is a character featured before. I enjoyed how she utilized these secondary characters, creating an “oooh I know him!” and helping out to fill and broaden this story. I do wish some were filled out more, the villain of this will make you gasp, but while there is shock, there wasn't as much weightiness to the reveal as there could have been. The villainy plot gets a bit convoluted in the whos and whys.

Overall, the story wasn't completely rounded out or had depth in some areas to my satisfaction but there's charisma to Crownover's writing and magnetism to Loveless and the residents she has created. I'm completely locked into wanting to see Case's younger sister Kody and her deceased fiance's brother, Texas Ranger Hill Gamble, fight to deny their chemistry in the next book.

One second, we were staring at each other as I held her like she was the most precious thing on the planet, the next my mouth was all over hers, and I was kissing her the way you kissed someone you loved and hated at the same time. A little sweet, a little mean, and with enough passion to make us both forget we had a long, twisted road paved with mistakes and memories running between us.

review 2019-06-26 15:43
Review: Shadow and Bone(The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

I read and loved the Six od Crows Duology a couple years back and I knew I would have to read these books. I just loved the world and the characters she created. That was no different with this book. Of course we get more of the world building and the magic system in this book since it was before Six of Crows and the start. I really enjoyed the flow of this book it was a fast but fun and entertaining read and super easy to follow. The pacing was just right and not too fast or too slow. Though, of course there is always something we want more of, and there were a few situations I would have loved a bit more. There were a few surprising twist and turns but nothing too shocking and nothing I didn’t really see coming, but even so I enjoyed it very much. Alina, I enjoyed for the most part a lot, she had snark and humor but also serious moment as well as self-pity. There were a few eye rolls on my part but overall I really enjoyed her. Mal, hmmmm I’m a bit indifferent towards him and not sure yet how I really feel about how it all went down. Most I liked but other things, like I said I wasn’t sure and it almost felt a bit forced. But I will see how it goes on and develops. The Darkling, I’m super conflicted when it comes to him, he is the bad boy and I think is the villain, but to be honest I’m not sure. I like him and I don’t like him…..or more how is going about… maybe …. I don’t know…. I need to read more to fully judge the whole situation with all of them lol. One of my favorite was Genya though, I wish we had more of her and I hope we get more of her in the future books. Overall, I really enjoyed and of course I loved the world of the Grisha, I loved learning more about it.

I am a bit nervous about the next book, of course we know that not all is good and well and that s&it will hit the fan once more but I’m also excited to see what will happen next. I rate this book 4★, just because some things were way too predictable.

Image result for nervous gif

Available NOW

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

review 2019-06-26 11:13
"Big Sky - Jackson Bodie #5" by Kate Atkinson - Wow.
Big Sky - Kate Atkinson

I've just finished this and I just want to say, if you enjoyed "Started Early, Took My Dog" then you'll love "Big Sky". I didn't think Kate Atkinson would be able to get that mood and style back after nine years of writing rather gloomier fiction but she's delivered another masterful book.

If you haven't read any Jackson Brodie, I recommend reading "Started Early, Took My Dog* first, mostly because it's a great book and partly because "Big Sky" has spoilers.

Anyway, just wanted to share how good this is. I'll write a real review later.