Playing Halloween Bingo brought home to me just what a catastrophic mess my BookLikes shelves are. At that time I began filling in missing covers, a project I've continued to work on here and there. The big green bricks are easy to spot, so this is a project that has progressed rather nicely. I have a lot fewer green bricks.
But there was a whole lot more wrong with my catalogue than just missing covers. Or even just wrong editions, which can be an issue when you have as many older books as I do.
I had hundreds of one-starred titles from the original GR migration. I had used the one-star rating as an easy way to add "wish-list" titles on GR, with the intention of then filling in the rest of the data later and removing the rating. It never happened, and everything got moved to BL en masse. Many of those books were added to my "Read" shelf on BL, even though of course they hadn't been read at all. My data was completely wrong.
With 5500+ books, I knew I faced a daunting task. Batch editing of shelves would help, but there were still 5500+ books. The ongoing problems with BookLikes itself didn't improve my enthusiasm!
Still, I plugged away at it here and there. Finally I got all the unread wish-list books off the "Read" shelf, but in the process I discovered how many "Read" books were missing. Some of my reviews didn't show up on the shelves. Duplicates started appearing all over the place. Kindle freebies that have disappeared from Amazon still haunt my shelves.
And I often find that in my searches for missing data, I come across more books to add to the ultimate wish-list!
Sometimes I discover the books I add to the wish-list are books I've already acquired but forgotten about because they aren't on my BL shelves.
That happened again yesterday. I knew the BL catalogue had to be fixed. Dozens of Kindle freebie books needed to be added. More covers needed to be scanned and uploaded. I needed to bring order out of the chaos!
So that's what I started doing. I've already found a couple of oddball files and I'm still in a quandary about how to catalogue books that are listed under more than one of an author's pseudonyms or that have been published under two (or more!) titles, but I'll get it worked out, slowly but surely. I haven't yet figured out how to attach reviews I've written that aren't showing up on the book pages, but I'll get that worked out, too.
It may take some longish notes to the Librarians, but I hope they'll be patient with me!
In conjunction with the shelf maintenance, I'm going to try to assemble all my blog posts into a coherent (don't laugh!!!) file for my own use. I've never been as diligent as I should be with tags, so when I go looking for an older post I tend to get lost in the wayback machine of scrolling through BL nostalgia.
There will be lots and lots of housekeeping posts from me over the next few weeks, months, maybe years! as I tackle the mess. I may even find some gems to share with everyone!