logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-quote
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-23 00:56
Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist

A trip down reading memory lane with one of the countless inspiring quotes from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist:

Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is a perfect example of the saying ‘good things come in small packages’. The simple little tale conveys a very powerful and inspirational message. First published in Portuguese in 1988, it is considered a modern classic. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2010/05/book-review-alchemist-by-paulo-coelho.html
review SPOILER ALERT! 2016-05-18 05:59
If I Counted The Ways In Which You Have Disappointed Me....
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Some parts were beautiful. A few examples:

"Pfiffikus!" she echoed, quickly adopting the appropriate cruelty that childhood seems to require.

...humans like to watch a little destruction. Sand castles, house of cards...

Others were just weird. Look at this one:

I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases (he is talking about souls)

It was narrated by Death. That was not an attraction when the book began and it simply became a bore as I read ahead.

There was no subtlety at all. Look at the following examples:

It sounds like the beginning of a joke: There's a Jew and German standing in a basement, right?

This was fine until he added

This, however, was no joke.

Then there was:

...everything went smoothly

Where the author just had to add:

Qualities of Smoothness... Trudy came and went without suspicion

We get what you meant when you said smoothly. The book was full of examples like the ones given above!

Lastly, there were parts that looked as if included to gain the reader's sympathy. One of them was the excerpt from Death's Diary where he talks about the events that took place in Cologne.

The book did have me shed a tear or two as I finished it, which means that I connected with it on some level. Papa and Mama were my favorite characters. The rest were all right. Death, the narrator, I hated.

#ReadForABookClub #DeathIsABadNarrator

review 2015-02-19 14:56
Absolute Friends - Masterwork of post-9/11 Spy Fiction
Absolute Friends - John le Carré

Highly recommended "spy" fiction that reaches toward great literature.

In 2002, right after 9-11, John Le Carre embarked on this prescient project. He saw the lack of cooperation on the part of Old Europe in the War on Terror (remember the unwarranted invasion of Iraq?) and Le Carre wrote the definitive account of American betrayal of all their alliances and ideals in the service of realpolitik and neo-Christian fundamentalist American naivete.

In this work of near-historical fiction, even the title and the main character's extended decades-long relationship serve as a brilliant synedoche for the global politics and the tensions of the post 9-11 era. The way Germany and Britain and maintained an uneasy and fraught alliance since World War II is described not only in terms of overt politics, but also on a microcosmic level in the friendship of the two main characters, Sasha and Mundy. Le Carre exploits that dual relationship (Germany/England AND Sasha/Mundy) with careful thrusts that hit precisely perfect on the historical notes, but also demonstrates how carefully formed and fully fleshed his characters have become in the hands of a fiction master.

As is so often the case in Le Carre's writing, these seem to be real human beings we are reading about, not fictional phantasms.

Le Carre's mastery is in allowing his story to play out in all of its complicated rhythm, instead of truncating it to fit a Twitter-esque age. He makes us believe deeply in his characters, in order to demonstrate the true weight of catastrophic destruction that occurred in the War on Terror.

A masterwork, written presciently in a time of cultural frisson

Source: nednote.com
review 2014-09-13 19:27
#BookReview & Quote-tastic: Talk Sweetly to My by Courtney Milan
Talk Sweetly to Me - Courtney Milan

My Review

Talk Sweetly To Me was a quick and sweet read I enjoyed over the weekend. This is my first book that I've read by Courtney Milan and I don't think it will be my last.

I thought she tackled the romance between Rose, a Black woman and Stephan, a white Irish man very well.

Rose who is a very smart woman...I mean like genius smart is good with mathematics. So here she works as a computer, it seems back in the day, some woman provided mathematical numbers in such a way to help as far as astrology and things like that; Rose helped with astrology. And Stephen, was a novelist and get this...a advise columnist for a women's paper.

Source: brazenbabereviews.blogspot.com/2014/09/book-review-quote-tastic-talk-sweetly.htmlquot
review 2014-08-20 10:21
The House of Tomorrow - Peter Bognanni

Overall, it was a wonderful book. But I wish it had ended stronger, along with more explanation of Sebastian's parents and better character development. It felt as if somethings were not fully covered and some holes in the story. But the transformation of Sebastian and his new understanding of the town was clear.

Source: darling4coffee.booklikes.com