logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-05-25 19:15
LITTLE CREEPING THINGS BY CHELSEA ICHASO
Little Creeping Things - Chelsea Ichaso

I'm not going to lie, I struggled to get through this one. I don't really have a problem with unreliable or unlikable narrators but when they whine all throughout and are constantly seeing everything through their self serving pity-me glasses, that's where I tend to draw the line.

I've LOVED books with a narratives from villains, from characters I didn't like one bit. I wish this could have been the case here but it just wasn't. The plot could have at least helped the story along but honestly I found it to also be lacking.

To me it was kinda like everything was rather one dimensional, the characters, the plot, and the mystery. The synopsis offered things I don't think the story ever delivered on. The big reveal at the end felt somehow predictable and easy, which was WEIRD because the one thing I can think of that I guess you could say is positive is that I didn't figure it out till right before.

But once it was revealed it felt like OF COURSE and only because no one should guess that for any other reason than it would seem the least likely and you were just supposed to accept it in the end for nothing more than because sometimes people are just evil or crazy or whatever. It felt very simplified.

Give me a breadcrumb or two along the way. I love to be surprised don't get me wrong, but it cheapens it to me when you did nothing along the way to give even miniscule clues or make it understandable how you got there or why things ended this way until literally right before, and even that is shakey at best. Maybe the fact that I'm reading such an emotionally complex grand series as well right now didn't help.

This just felt incredibly immature and unsatisfying to me. If major teen angst is your bag, or maybe you want to dip a toe in a light mystery, you might enjoy this one. To be honest I felt like the Scooby-Doo gang solved more indepth cases, but to each his own.

I received an arc of this book from Sourcebooks Fire via Netgalley and this is my honest review.

review 2020-05-20 21:43
Wonderstruck Book Review
Wonderstruck - Brian Selznick

“We are all cabinets of wonders.”

I cannot put into words what a work of art this book is. This story is told in two halves, Ben in words and Rose in illustrations. Both stories are told at the same time, with both children going on a similar journey at the same time which defiantly helps with the flow and marries the two together.

Bens story begins in Minnesota in June 1977, he's currently living with his aunt and uncle after the death of his mum. One night he finally goes back to his home and finds a bookmark in his mothers things. Ben decides it's time to find his dad, and heads to New York.

Rose starts off in New Jersey in October 1927, she's unhappy and alone as her she is kept inside because she is deaf. Her only visitor is her tutor. Like Ben, Rose sets off to New York to find actress Lillian Mayhew who she's watched in silent movies and is now performing on the stage.

This book and its story is beautiful, it may be for children but it hit me on such an emotional level. The emotions conveyed in the illustrations were unbelievable.

Don't forget you can follow & subscribe.
review 2020-05-15 14:16
The Sandman and the War of Dreams (Guardians of Childhood, #4) by William Joyce
The Sandman and the War of Dreams - William Joyce

Another beautiful addition to this sweet little story. I am a huge fan of Pitch Black and in this book we finally get his whole story told to us. It's heartbreaking, beautiful, and tragic. I love learning more about him and his daughter and I love seeing how even beings like him, deserve some love and respect.

In this book, we have a returning character from the picture books. Sandy! I love this little guy. So much strength with such little words spoken. I adore him. I also love that this is the first time we get to see Nightlight grow a little as a character. He was someone who was very immature in his way of thinking. But it's in this book that he learns that things are not just black and white, good and evil. That there are many layers to who a person can be and many reasons to explain the actions one choose to take. I think it's a brilliant lesson for anyone to learn. Especially Nightlight, a boy who never ages.

I love this series so much. I know the writing can be quite simplistic at times, but the story and the characters more than make up for it. I think with such a lovely story, you don't need flowery writing. The story speaks for itself.

I am close to the end of this series now. I've never read the last book before. This will be my first time reading it. Makes me nervous to finally find out what's going to happen. I love Pitch and I don't want him to get a nasty end for just being different. I will hold on to hope that the ending of the series will be just as sweet as the rest of it has been.

If you haven't read this series yet, I highly encourage that you do. It's a lot of fun with endearing characters and such fantastical ideas that it will make you want to explore your own imagination as thoroughly as you did when you were younger. Or still do. Some of us never forgot our "child-like wonder." I hope you never do.

review 2020-05-13 22:11
Angelfall Book Review
Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee

“I never thought about it before, but I'm proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Man.”

This book has been sat on my self for about 8yrs give or take, so the only hope or expectation is that I would still enjoy like I would have in my early 20s. This book came out back when vampires and werewolves were at their peak but for some reason, out of the supernatural squad angels didn't quite make it up there.

So the plot, this book starts six weeks after the Angels came to earth and unleashed the apocalypse, nobody knows why. All they do know is that life is now about survival, surviving the street gangs during the day and the Angels at night. The story picks up with Penryn, her mum and her sister attempting to flee from their home, but are interrupted by a bunch of brawling Angels. Penryn makes a split second decision, she causes a distraction to give her mum time to run with her sister. When the feathers settle her wheelchair bound sister is snatched up.

Penryn has little options, she chooses to help the injured Angel Raffe and make a bargain with him in the hopes of rescuing her sister. Penryn is a likeable character, you won't find her wallowing in self pity or crying every minute. She's had a lot on her shoulders from a young age, her sister had the accident which lead to her being in the wheelchair, her dad is gone and her mum has series mental health issues. The kind that result in bodies. Penryn has one goal, not the fate of the mankind, but keep her family together and keep her mum safe.

This is a solid read and I really enjoyed it, things took a much darker turn towards the end and I found myself physically cringing away at times. It did feel a bit like a lot of information suddenly got thrown my way, but there was no way we could have come across it until we got to Angels nest. Going forward it will be interesting to see what's really going on with the Angels, there are clearly bad guys lurking and it's more than just the apocalypse.

Something darker is coming, and it's leaving half eaten bodies in its wake.

Hey!! Thanks so much for watching and I hope you enjoyed, if you could take the time to like this video on YouTube I would be forever grateful. Like Instagram YouTube has it's share of problems, and hitting that like button would be an amazing help. So thank you for showing your support.

Don't forget you can follow & subscribe.
review 2020-05-13 13:14
Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3) by William Joyce
Toothiana, Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (Guardians of Childhood Chapter Books) - William Joyce

I'm finally continuing with my read of this amazing series. I had to take a bit of a break since Final Fantasy VII: Remake was released so all of my time went to that for about two months. X3 BUT! I am back and I just finished reading my favorite book in the series thus far.

In this book we meet Toothiana and I love reading about her past and how she came to me the mighty Queen that she is. Her wit, her strength, her will, her everything is so incredibly inspiring. I love learning about her powers and what makes her such an amazing Guardian.

All of the other characters make an appearance in this book as well. We see North, Ombric, Bunnymund, Nightlight, and Katherine grow and learn more about Pitch. Especially when it come to Katherine. She plays a key role in this book and it is through her that the other Guardians learn how to understand and sympathize with other beings. There's a certain scene that happens at the end of the book that introduces a new character and makes you fall in love with an old character all the more. I love this book.

Please, if you haven't read this series yet, please do. It's so much fun and helps you to understand and care for others who are different. It's such a heartwarming series that I think is worth the read.