logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
video 2018-11-06 14:21
The Smoke Thieves - Sally Green
Eternal Dawn - Rebecca Maizel
Wonder Woman: Warbringer - Leigh Bardugo

video 2018-09-23 14:50

Like the previous series, Half Bad, The Smoke Thieves is still an adult themed book. Although Half Bad was adult on a different level, more emotional and physical...to this day I still can't get over that torture scene.

It was nice to have a book from so many multiple points of view, and from both sexes. We have Catherine a Princess, Tash a hunter, Ambrose the soldier, March the traitor and Edyon the thief. Some of characters cross paths early in the book and some don't meet till much later on.

For most of this story it definitely feels like there are multiple plots, I found this worked. Instead of them all involved in the same obvious main plot in different ways, there are separate plots which, somehow, eventually will come together. I prefer this type of story telling, trying to figure how it will all piece together.

This is a strong first book and will be interesting to see where it goes next, if you haven't read this or Greens other series I would really recommend you pick them up.

------

video 2018-09-02 16:43

review 2018-08-26 15:09
Origin - Dan Brown

“Remember death. Even for those who wield great power, life is brief. There is only one way to triumph over death, and that is by making our lives masterpieces. We must seize every opportunity to show kindness and to love fully.”

When you pick up a Dan Brown Robert Langdon book you know what you're in for. For me this book was a little different, the theme of this book is religion and science. Where do we come from and where are we going??

The previous books have a very standard formula to them, following clues and breadcrumbs to either save someone or mankind itself. This book is a little different, it reminded me more of Da Vinci Code. In Origin, Robert and his companion Ambra Vidal must race across Barcelona to find a password to ensure that the worlds greatest discovery see's the light of day.

There is much less code deciphering than we're used to, and I don't think that is a bad thing, instead they're trying to find a password hidden in a book that could be literally anything. For me it made a slight changes, and I liked it. This book has a much more modern feel, even though still grounded in the rich historical background of Spanish art, religion and royal family. The previous books are more classical art orientated, it makes a nice change.

Everything else you come to expect is still there, the fast paced writing, short chapters, multiple POVs, drip fed information, historical facts and art. For me, this is the ultimate guilty pleasure read. I kept flip flopping with the rating, I can easily settled on 4.5 but for the pure enjoyment and excitement I have to bump it up to a 5.