logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-21 17:12

Release Date: February 21, 2017
Reviewed by : Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Publisher: Loose-ID

4 stars ARC

Blindfolds, bondage, board meetings. All in a day's work for Noah Dorian, co-owner of Hilltops, an exclusive club for those who like a bit of spice.

Enter Jordin Turner, a psychology student who is doing research on the BDSM lifestyle.

Noah agrees to provide her with information via telephone but when she comes to the club for an observation, his world is turned upside down. Jordin is strong, confident, intelligent, and beautiful; traits he has never seen packaged together in a woman he likeshttp://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-for-destiny-by-faith-starr.html this much. He's always guarded his heart, but Jordin makes him want to open his heart and free himself from his demons.

Jordin has had her fair share of heartache, including an ex who made her doubt herself. Especially in the bedroom. Noah's dominant nature gives her a chance to change that. His desire and his dominance help her break the chains that hold her back.

Noah and Jordin. Sometimes love is destiny.

“You don’t have to argue every point. I’m simply making my own observations.” Why did his breath have to smell as good as the rest of him? It was almost hypnotic, if not tempting every fiber in my being to lean forward to see if he tasted as good as he smelled. Damn Noah Dorian. “That’s supposed to be my job.” Oh my gosh. I sounded like a schoolgirl with a childhood crush, giggling stupidly. “Yes, it is, but I’m having a rather good time doing your job too.” “Why’re you doing this, Noah?” Confusion filled me. I was a little light-headed in addition to the other slew of symptoms having a field day inside me. He was pretty much suffocating me with his charm and good looks. “All I’m doing is pointing out to you that you don’t always have to keep yourself so tightly wound. Sometimes it’s nice to let loose.” “And what’re you implying?” “I’m merely suggesting that you allow me to bring some of your curiosity to life.” Say what? “You mean like mentor me in BDSM? Sorry, but I’m not a bow down, please and thank you, Sir, type of a woman.” Reality check! It was time to dodge this bullet. Unfortunately, it was somewhat impossible since he had me caged between his strong arms. “I’m not so sure about that. Besides, you’ll never know unless you try.” “I’m sorry if I’ve given you the wrong impression, Noah. I think maybe I should go.” I needed air. I needed to get out of this room. I needed Noah Dorian. That’s what I needed.

I couldn’t take it anymore. My dick could only behave for so long. My poor impulse control and I pushed her against the car, tasting those succulent lips again. Something I couldn’t stop thinking about. Luckily, her mouth voluntarily welcomed my tongue. I could only imagine what else it could do to her luscious body. “Because I know you feel it too.” Her eyes blinked several times as they stared into mine, her breaths jagged between her slightly parted lips. That was all the reassurance I needed to know she would be there on Saturday night. I backed away and took her hand in mine, suddenly with more pep in my stride. I walked her to her car and made sure she got in safely, her wittiness taking a hike and replaced with desire. Her eyes had hunger in them, and I knew exactly how to feed it. This woman had no clue how fucking sexy she was. I intended to make that concept very well known to her. She looked up at me and almost whispered her good-bye, her lips swollen and begging for more. I leaned down and slid my hand into her hair, tilting her chin upward so I could have one more taste to hold me over until the weekend. To my surprise, she fisted my hair desperately. I planted a gentle kiss on her lips to find her almost panting when I pulled away. I released my hold on her and smiled. “Good night, Jordin.” It took all the self-control I had to walk away after the kiss. My dick ached, wanting to blow, but it wasn’t something I couldn’t take care of later.

Lets start off by saying that I really enjoyed our first read by this author.I liked the characters as they were fun and interesting.Noah and Jordin were such opposites yet their relationship worked even though they had a few hiccups along the way.

I always pick a favorite character in a story in this time around its going to be Jordin although Noah follows closely.I found Jordin to be bright,charming,shy,intelligent ,insecure, but she also had fire and passion within her.

Jordin meets Noah as she has asked Noah who own a sex club to help her collect information on the bdsm lifestyle to write her dissertation for school in order to graduate to become a therapist. Jordin chose this subject because she wanted to understand more and gather more insight in order to consul abused women. I loved Jordin she was so out of her element,nervous, shy, intimidated and an innocent to boot but when it came to observing the scenes throughout the club in order to learn Noah is the one who caused all her flutters and uneasiness not the scenes themselves. Jordin's attraction to Noah and him to her was apparent from the start and their chemistry was hot as hell.I loved how she opened up and blossomed throughout the story creating many firsts and new experiences for herself  doing this in baby steps she was growing more confident. Jordin surprised me the most though she had just the same hang ups as every other women does and those self insecurities but never really applied the logic to herself as she did her patients .Noah is the one who helped her overcome most of her insecurities and I loved that most about him

Noah definitely was a man of many layers.He had much more depth to him that I even thought was possible about him and I loved discovering more and more about him as the story progressed he really was a tender love and caring soul.I found Noah to be many things but loved that he was confident yet sensitive.Noah's attraction with Jordin has him tied up in knots from the onset.I loved how Jordin has him feeling things and experiencing a lot of firsts himself.Noah is such and experienced man in and out of the bedroom he has lived the lifestyle an has enjoyed it but it doesn't dominate his life .I loved this about him the most as Jordin is all about vanilla and yet he still peruses her with a passion.I loved his patience and kindness that he showed Jordin and those around him.I loved seeing this side of him as he definitely liked to be in charge and loved to dominate but never saw being tender or kind as a weakness.I fell in loved with him a little bit myself especially when he walked through the facility that his brother was staying at and he took the time to have a kind word with each and every patient he came in contact with along the way to see his brother. He put a smile on all those patients faces.He was definitely swoon worthy!

A really enjoyable story that was a learning experience for both characters who fell for one another and yet just what the other needs to make them whole.I enjoyed the chemistry these characters had as I really thought they made a cute an amazing couple together and I was glad that they found their way to one another even though their journey wasn't always a easy one.

I love when you can connect with the characters you read about and I was able to that in this story .I loved when that happens when you like your character so much from the onset that you know its going to be a good enjoyable story for you.

I looking forward to reading other stories by this author as she creates them.

4 stars from us

When she's not managing her husband’s medical practice or taking care of her three kids, Faith Starr loves writing erotic romance fiction. Faith is passionate about putting herself into the minds of her characters, giving them a life of their own with all of the emotions that go along with it. She is head over heels in love with each and every alpha male she creates and the confident women who steal their hearts. Faith has found her passion writing in the romance genre. Creating heartfelt love stories has become key in giving her inner spirit the creative outlet it desires. She is a hopeless romantic, with a little spice, who truly believes in the “Once Upon a Time” and “Happily Ever After” ending.

You can find Angels Here !

review 2017-06-20 20:23
Review: Dark Water by Parker Bilal
Dark Water (The Makana Mysteries) - Parker Bilal

When an Englishman, Marcus Winslow, appears at Makana's door one April morning, Makana does not realize that he will soon risk losing everything he has built for himself in Cairo. Winslow represents the British government--meaning the Secret Intelligence Service--and he has a special mission to offer, one that Makana cannot resist: Ayoub Hadari, a dangerous specialist in biochemical nerve agents, is on the run and asking for asylum. The only person who can bring him in is Makana--by Ayoub's own request. Ayoub has gone underground in Istanbul and Makana, for the first time since arriving in Egypt, must travel abroad, to a city he doesn't know. Can he trust Marcus Winslow? Or is something more sinister in the works? In this foreign city, Makana soon realizes that nothing is what it appears to be. Suddenly, his past is racing to catch up with him, and Makana becomes both hunter and hunted.

This is book six in the Makana series but the first book I read. I think while it can be read as a standalone, it would have been easier and more enjoyable if I had read the previous books. That being said I had no real idea of what I’m getting into. The world setting is good and easy to understand and very well described. Sometimes a little over described. The same goes for the characters. I had a hard time to relate Makana at times but I think that could have been because I have not rad the previous books. I thought for a crime-mystery it also was very political and various views of politics and foreign affairs and even terrorism comes up. It was rather suspenseful and I never knew what would come next which I enjoyed. Some parts seemed a bit dense but overall it was a good read. It was something I would have never picked up myself but ended up enjoying.

I rate it 3 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Will be available July 11th 2017

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Parker Bilal

Parker Bilal is the pseudonym of Jamal Mahjoub. Mahjoub has published seven critically acclaimed literary novels, which have been widely translated. Born in London, he has lived at various times in the UK, Sudan, Cairo and Denmark. He currently lives in Barcelona.

Links

Website *** Goodreads *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-dark-water-parker-bilal
review 2017-06-20 18:06
The Prey by Tom Isbell - Flawed but Enjoyable
The Prey - Tom Isbell

THE PREY by Tom Isbell is the first book in the Prey series, and a book that has received a lot of hate since it’s debut in 2015. It is a story about a group of teenagers that decide to fight for a life of freedom against impossible odds in dystopian America. Ultimately, I enjoyed this novel, but there were definite issues with the book that makes it understandable why so many readers did not enjoy the book. I struggled to keep reading it, myself.

The first issue I ran across was the grammar. There was an abundance of sentence fragments and unnecessary imagery that didn't add much to the story line except redundancy. A few examples:

• “Blood. Purpling. Coagulating before his eyes."
  • "other vehicles had arrived, disgorging brown-shirted soldiers"
  • "[they] slid him into the Humvee like a pan of dough going into an oven."

I'm all for figurative language to help develop the plot, the world building, and character development.... but some things just don't need describing. While I was able to overlook the grammar, I was almost unable to finish the book due to the excruciatingly slow moving plot. It took 19 chapters to finally hook me. NINETEEN. I must have put the book down a dozen times because anything else was more entertaining then reading THE PREY. The writing style had me convinced it was going to be a fast-paced read, but don't be fooled - it's not. However, I am thankful I was able to motivate myself to finish the book, because once things started moving, I could not put it down.

“If you want to change something, change it. Yesterday was yesterday, today is today.”

Before we start chatting characters, let me explain a little bit about the world this book is set in. The Republic of the True America is the new government that was formed after The United States was bombed with electromagnetic radiation that fried everything electronic and ruined the country. After the new Republic took over, they separated survivors into settlement camps and — like your typical dystopian government — blamed all their issues on Less Thans and brainwashed the public into fearing  the next Omega (the day the world as they knew it ended) would be their fault, too.

Who is a Less Than, you ask? Homosexuals, people of color, those disfigured by radiation, political dissidents, people of non-approved religious affiliations, the mentally disabled — anyone different. Kinda familiar, isn't it?

THE PREY follows two sets of characters — Book and his fellow LT brethren at Camp Liberty, a settlement that raises Less Thans to be hunted for sport when they become of age, and twin sisters Hope & Faith as they are on the run from the Republic and trying to survive. The chapters told from Book's point of view is a first person narrative, while the girls' is third person. It didn't get in the way of my enjoyment, but it was a little bit strange at first.

It took me a good dozen chapters to figure out the main cast members of the novel, and even more so for me to sort through my feelings for them. Book and Hope are without a doubt the main characters, and so is Cat, who played a crucial part in their survival.

Book is by far my favorite main character. He is bookish, courageous, and cares about the survival of others. I have fairly mixed feelings about Hope. She's your stereotypical badass heroine that you see in a lot of YA science fiction these days. Her attitude towards her sister and other characters that weren't quite as extraordinary might have been realistic, but it rubbed me the wrong way. Cat I wound up liking more than I thought I would. He was an asshole at first, but as the book progresses and we learned more about him, I grew more fond of him.

There is a long list of secondary characters, but only a few of them actually add to the development of the story. Dozer is one such secondary character that I could not stand. He was whiny, argumentative, and created conflict among the others. I hope he doesn't appear much in book two.

I definitely struggled finishing this novel. It took a long while for me to feel invested in the characters — and to want to keep reading. I can't say THE PREY is my new favorite, but I will be reading book two - and hoping the writing progresses as the series does.

This review first appeared on A Weebish Book Blog

Source: aweebishbookblog.wordpress.com
review 2017-06-18 21:01
The Paris Spy
The Paris Spy - Susan Elia MacNeal

I cannot get enough of this series so when I saw this latest installment on Netgalley I just had to request it. No matter what is happening in my life I am always up for reading about Maggie Hope. This time Maggie is in Paris trying to find a spy that she believes might have been compromised and also trying to find her half-sister Elise.

While this was was not as dark as some previous books in the series this is still pretty dark and filled with heartbreak for Maggie and readers. As with the other books in the series this follows not only Maggie but other characters. You really grow close to the agents in Paris the more that you read and can't help but feel despair at what happens to certain characters.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the growing relationship between Maggie and her sister. They were able to really bond in this book and I hope their relationship gets a chance to grow even further in the future.

I was not expecting the ending and it has left me dying to know what happens next.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the galley.

review 2017-06-17 14:56
Cilla Jenkins Book Review
Cilla Lee-Jenkins: Future Author Extraordinaire - Susan Tan,Dana Wulfekotte

This was cute. I really enjoyed the illustrations and the overall theme. I think children will enjoy a character that loves to write especially since this is done in a journal type format. Definitely one of those books I'll keep in the back of my head for reader's advisory.