logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-17 05:44
The Last Anniversary Book Quote
The Last Anniversary - Liane Moriarty

Great quote from Liane Moriarty's The Last Anniversary.

Delightful. Liane Moriarty’s novel The Last Anniversary is a wonderful blend of chick lit, drama and cozy mystery. Moriarty’s protagonist Sophie Honeywell projects the image of an independent, sophisticated 39-year-old career woman who knows and gets what she wants, but deep down she yearns for something more. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2010/05/book-review-last-anniversary-by-liane.html
review 2018-10-17 02:31
Puliter Prize winning novel 'Less'

Less by Andrew Sean GreerLiterary awards are rarely sufficient motivation for me to choose one title over another — the enjoyment of literature being notoriously subjective — but since Less was already on my wishlist, its recent Pulitzer Prize win firmed up my decision to purchase.

What immediately struck me was the unusual narrative structure… predominantly first-person present tense (identity undisclosed) yet omnipresent.

From where I sit, the story of Arthur Less is not so bad.

Look at him: seated primly on the hotel lobby’s plush sofa, blue suit and white shirt, legs knee-crossed so that one polished loafer hangs free of its heel. The pose of a young man.

But on occasion more like third-person. It is both confounding and intriguing. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2018/05/less-by-andrew-sean-greer-book-review.html
review 2018-10-16 14:54
Review: Etched in Bone(The Others #5) by Anne Bishop
Etched in Bone - Anne Bishop

After the Elders cleansed and reclaimed many human towns, Lakeside Courtyard has emerged relatively unscathed, though Simon Wolfgard, its wolf-shifter leader, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn must work with the human pack to maintain the fragile peace. But all their efforts are threatened when Lieutenant Montgomery's shady brother arrives, looking for a free ride and easy pickings.

With the humans on guard against one of their own, tensions rise, drawing the attention of the Elders, who are curious about the effect such an insignificant predator can have on a pack. But Meg knows the dangers, for she has seen in the cards how it will all end: with her standing beside a grave. . . .

3 ½ ★

I finished this book last week but I really wasn’t sure what to think of the ending for a while and had to think about it.

Plus this book is hard to review for me for some reason.

I really liked the book but I don’t think it was as great or strong as the previous books.

Once we got to the end I thought a lot of this book could have been spent more towards wrapping things up more for other residents of and around the courtyard.  While things get wrapped up nicely for the most part for Simon and Meg , some of the Others were a bit open ended and not only that but also some of the commutes.

I must admit the whole Elder part.  I was still not a huge fan of the Elders and the whole Jimmy thing. It just seemed weird and way to drawn out. The final battle was once again pretty anti climatic for me like in the last book. Not only that but o teas pretty much off page, which kind off was a letdown ,since  do actual get their POV once a while .

But overall it was a great book, We get to see some of our favorite people/or others prep and fear a common threat of the elders. We also meet some new people, some I liked a lot and hope to see in future spin-off books.

The ending I think was the best outcome we could have hoped for, for Simon and Meg….. it was always clear they never be a regular couple. I just could have gotten this earlier and maybe a bit more and maybe an idea what that will look like.

I also would have liked to see how other things turn out … like Sam and Skippy…. Vlad and Tess. We never really get a conclusion and all is a bit open ended, even some of the humans and other communities around the courtyard, they end was just a tad too focused on Meg and Simon and we not even get a full thing there.

What I liked about the series best, was that all the way to the end the Others always stayed a threat to humans. While some were accepted most stayed clever meat throughout the series.

Overall, while I has some issues and wished for more but I was satisfied with the end. And I will most defiantly read the books that follow.

I rate it 3 ½ ★

Image result for satisfied gif

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/10/16/review-etched-in-bonethe-others-5-by-anne-bishop
review 2018-10-16 14:33
Review: Marked in Flesh (The Others #4) by Anne Bishop
Marked In Flesh - Anne Bishop

In the fourth novel in Anne Bishop's New York Times bestselling series, the Others will need to decide how much humanity they're willing to tolerate--both within themselves and their community...

Since the Others allied themselves with the cassandra sangue, the fragile yet powerful human blood prophets who were being exploited by their own kind, the dynamic between humans and Others has changed. Some, such as Simon Wolfgard, wolf shifter and leader of the Lakeside Courtyard, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn see the closer companionship as beneficial.

But not everyone is convinced. A group of radical humans is seeking to usurp land through a series of violent attacks on the Others. What they don't realize is that there are older and more dangerous forces than shifters and vampires protecting the land--and those forces are willing to do whatever is necessary to safeguard what is theirs...

4 ½ ★

I think this was my favorite in the series so far….. There are so many things happening in the book I don’t even know where to start. This book like previous books is pretty fast paced and pretty much gripes you from page one.

Well the humans are still stupid and think they can take…. The others….. and they are moving forward with  their plan to take over for them and ruling the planet . The Others on the other hand know things will come to blow. But over the course of several books they almost became friends with some humans and they would feel bad if they would not survive. So now they are trying to save their friends. All the while they are still helping the cassandra sangue to settle and learn to live a normal life. Of course nothing is ever that easy. Meg and some others also trying to find a way to help them without having to cut. Meg really came through in this book. I thought. In this book more than any others she really learned and she really tried to stand on her own two feet. More than that she stood up for herself. There were a few time in the beginning where I rolled my eyes at her for taking the easy route but overall she really came out of it on top and with more confidence. Simon also grew so much not only in this book but throughout. It is amazing how much the “clever meat” grew on him and how far he is willing to go to safe some of his friends or as he calls them the human pack. But it is clear that he cares for them. Just as it is still crystal clear how he feels about Meg. Tess, is Tess and I still love her , more than ever now that most of everyone know what and who she is. Vlad  is still busy helping with the humans but also with some other Vampires that are coming in and around town and other to. I’m curious to see how that that plays out Most of the book the others and other settlement are busy prepping for a big “storm” that is about to hit.  I have to say that was my least favorite part of the book, I thought it be bigger and actually thought it was a bit anti climatic and went by way to fast. The Aftermath was still pretty big and we shall see how it continues, but just the part of the ‘Storm” itself was a bit of letdown. I thought there were other ‘battles’ in the book that were much bigger and better in a cruel way.

Overall, I really loved this book and can’t wait to start the next. The end with Simon and Meg gave me hope for their relationship…… it’s only taking four books lol.

I own the paperback but I listened to this on audio from the library and I must say the narration was fantastic.

I rate it 4 ½ ★

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N **** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/10/16/review-marked-in-flesh-the-others-4-by-anne-bishop
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-10-16 04:59
Book Review: In The Woods
In the Woods - Tana French

Book: In the Woods

Author: Tana French

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Summary: In Tana French's powerful debut thriller, three children leave their small Dublin neighborhood to play in the surrounding woods. Hours later, their mothers' calls go unanswered. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children, gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours. Twenty years later, Detective Rob Ryan - the found boy, who has kept his past a secret - and his partner Cassie Maddox investigate the murder of a twelve-year-old girl in the same woods. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him, and that of his shadowy past. -Penguin, 2007.