Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-19 03:35
Quick, but repetitive story
Jack's Magical Beanstalk and the Jeweled Grotto - Pablo Michaels

Short read, part of a series. The first third of this story is also in the Prelude to Jack's Magical Beanstalk. The rest of the story is about Jack and Sam helping Sam's family. Danger everywhere but love wins out.

I received a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-03-19 03:30
Brief rundown of the story so far...
Prelude to Jack's Magical Beanstalk and Sam's Quandary - Pablo Michaels

A quick read, following the Jack and the Beanstalk tale. Jack meets and falls in love with Sam. There are adventures, danger, and smiles. The story did need more emotion to better like Jack and Sam.

I reached a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-03-18 21:20
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle
A Wrinkle in Time (The Time Quintet #1) - Anna Quindlen,Madeleine L'Engle

Last weekend, the movie adaptation for A Wrinkle in Time was released in theaters here in America. And after hearing about the great representation it contained, I wanted to go see it and support the film on opening weekend. However, I am a person who loves to read the book first before watching the film. So I woke up early on the morning of Friday March 9, 2018 and read the first book in Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quintet before I left to watch the movie later that day. It was quite the experience, let me tell you that.

The book follows the main character, Meg, who clearly has a lot of self-esteem issues. She sees herself as plain and boring and stupid. She also tends to have a real bad attitude problem. As the story progresses, she learns that her missing father is lost through various dimensions and it's up to her, her younger brother Charles Wallace, and a school friend named Calvin to go along with three "heavenly" beings to rescue him.

The story itself is interesting enough. I really like the imagination L'Engle created throughout her books. She made it scientific, whimsical, and bizarre. I was fascinated with the explanations about how the "wrinkles" work and what it means when it does. The plot was exciting and the true identity of "IT" was horrifying to say the least. I really enjoyed reading about how the science works in this world.

What I didn't enjoy as much was her characters. Let's start with Meg. I understand she is going through her adolescent years and having her father missing really messed with her self-esteem issues, but she was infuriating! She complained left and right, she was mean for no real reason other than because she had a short temper, and she was so immature when she finally found her father that she blamed HIM for all the "bad" things that happened to her and her brother. I know she's young but that's no excuse to be a complete jerk to the people who are trying to help you. That care about you. I'm so glad "movie" Meg is a lot more tolerable. (More on this later.)

Calvin is another character that I couldn't stand in the book. He shows up out of no where, insults Meg, and can be a snob at times. And we're supposed to believe that Meg finds him attractive so it's okay he treats her like crap? Really? Oh, not to mention it was because a boy paid attention to her so she started to feel better about herself. Give me a break. He was a jerk and I didn't like him one bit. Once again, so glad "movie" Calvin is not like that. (More on this later.)

Last character I want to talk about is Charles Wallace. He's basically one of the few characters from the book I actually liked. He has this "other worldly" presence about him. He knows more than is being told and I found him so fascinating. I love the intelligence he contained. I wanted to learn more about him! I guess I have to keep reading the series in order to get that information. X3 His movie version was good, but he came off more as a child than some "other being." It's not a bad rendition of the character. Just a different one.

Basically, this is one of those cases where the movie, in my opinion, is better than the book. I know! Blasphemy! But that's just how I feel. The book leaves a lot to be desired. I just wasn't attached to any of them by the end of it. Whereas the movie, I love how the characters were portrayed in the movie. Meg is so complex. She has self-doubt and doesn't think highly of herself, but she's not mean for no reason, she's not a hateful person like she is in the book. She is compassionate and understanding and she learns and grows throughout her adventures. I loved her relationship with her brother and how far she was willing to go for him. I love that she is a mix child in the movie (in the book, she's white) and how normal it is to have a family like this. I love that.

I also much more prefer Calvin in the movie than the book. In the movie, he's kind and charming. He treats Meg with respect. He never talks down to her and he never insults her. He's there to support her and be her friend. AND he's not the "cure-all" for all of Meg's problems. She still needs to deal with her own demons. It's just nice that she has a friend to support her whilst she does so.

Oh! And the "heavenly" beings of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which were so much more enjoyable in the movie than the book. Especially Mrs. Which. Mrs. Which in the book kinda shows up, tells the kids what to do, then leaves again. In the movie, she's a sort of support to Meg. She helps her, or tries to, see the beauty of who she is and I thought that was a great message to show to kids.

I am in love with the beauty of this film on multiple levels.

The one thing I did not really like about the film was the lack of plot. My favorite thing about the book was how eerie Camazotz was and what went on there. Not to mention how horrifying IT was. But the movie didn't focus on it. It focus on the message of having confidence in yourself, about the love of a family, and doing the right thing no matter what. All those are great messages and I don't dislike the movie for that, I just wanted to see a little more of what made the book interesting for me.

All-in-all, I think you should read the book. It's pretty interesting when it comes to the science portion and when they get to Camazotz. However, the book can get a bit... preachy so keep that in mind when reading it. But once you do read it, definitely go see the movie. It's a beautifully stunning, well-told story about family and love. Kids NEED to see this movie. It's absolutely wonderful.

review 2018-03-14 04:36
Book Review for Hard Wood by Jenika Snow
Hard Wood by Jenika Snow
  • File Size: 1190 KB
  • Print Length: 73 pages
  • Publisher: Carina Press (March 1, 2018)
  • Publication Date: March 19, 2018
  • Sold by: Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B076ZLX914
Arc Copy Provided by Netgallery
Reviewed by: Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Gene: Erotica Romance , Novella,Romance
The Dirty Bits from Carina Press give you what you want, when you want it. Designed to be read in an hour or two, these sex-filled microromances are guaranteed to pack a punch and deliver a happily-ever-after.

A new supersexy insta-love novella from USA TODAY bestselling author Jenika Snow that has a gruff lumberjack yelling T-I-M-B-E-R for the woman he’s been waiting for.

The Ash Brothers—they know how to handle their wood.

I’m a hard man. A loner. Or so town gossip says. After having my heart sent through the chipper, I’ve kept to myself. I prefer the quiet of the woods to the ramblings of clingy women who think they can tame a wild mountain man.

Until Mia. Now she’s all I think about.

I should have stayed away. She’s too sweet for a brute like me, but I can’t stop wanting her, picturing her sated in my sheets.

Mia knows just what kind of wood I’m working with. She’s the soft to my hard, the sugar to my bitter bark.

And I love seeing her walk on the wild side.

This book is approximately 15,000 words

For those times when size does matter. The Dirty Bits from Carina Press: Quick and dirty, just the way we like it.
Lets start of saying that this story started off with a bang and a sizzle.This was one of those instant attraction instant love stories.Noah and Mia are instantly attracted to one another and the sexual fantasies they are having with one another are super super hot!
Noah has been hurt by a lover in the past an has been withdrawn and keeps to himself but, spotting Mia something has awaken in him after a very long time when things have pretty much been dormant.Mia on the other hand has been struggling of late with her own unhappiness and she is hoping this move is going to improve things for her. Spotting Noah across the room at a diner definitely puts a smile on her face and some pink in her cheeks! Instant attraction and heated looks hell yeah!
This stories plot was interesting.This couple had more fantasies with each other and more sex in they heads prior to actually meeting one another and I have to say their sexual fantasies were smokin!
For me I enjoyed the characters they were very like-able but the story itself didn't really give you a chance to love them.I enjoyed this short story as the story started out as super hot.I am okay with the instant love story but, a writer for me anyway is suppose to carry that attraction and intenseness and that possessiveness they feel for each other and somewhere along the middle of the story I felt that all flame die out after their first sexual encounter.
For me the sexual fantasies each had with one another was hotter than the deed itself.Then after the deed its two weeks later.Something happened in the middle here and they lost me.I guess for me I missed the couple getting to know each other on paper all the things your are learning about your sexual partner .The fun the playfulness the heated looks etc.I think the author should have added something  to that effect in the middle of the story.Two weeks later you understood they are getting to know one another but, we are not seeing it on paper.For me the story would have been more enjoyable had the author carried through with the spark,sizzle, and fireworks as the say  to the very end.
3 stars from us
Personal note: Even though this story was not a top favorite I have enjoyed many other of this author stories that she has co written with other authors.I would like to read more about these Ash brothers so were are looking forward to that.
Jenika Snow is a USA Today Bestselling Author that lives in the northwest with her husband and children. Before she started writing full-time she worked as a nurse.

You can find her at:

• Language: English
  • ASIN: B07864H5Q3
Reviewed by: Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
5 Amazing stars

Winnie thinks she has the perfect life. Two beautiful, healthy children. A police officer husband. A job that she loves. Oh, and let’s not forget that she’s a nationally ranked marathon runner. Fast forward six months, and her perfect life has imploded. Winnie finds herself in a completely new world, and this new world is a brutal bitch. In this new life of hers, her husband is gone. He realizes, at the worst possible time, that he’s no longer in love with her. He’s in love with her best friend. So he leaves, and doesn’t look back. Her sixteen-year-old daughter is in trouble with the law, and she’s barely making ends meet thanks to losing the job that was keeping her and her tiny family afloat. Then, the last thing that could make it all bearable, her running, is ripped out from under her, too. Thanks to a spinal stroke that leaves her unable to walk, let alone run, she’s having to relearn how to do the simplest of tasks—such as putting on her own pants. She’s at the lowest of lows, and the last thing she wants is a sexy, bearded, motorcycle riding alpha to tell her how to live her life. But Steel Cross never asks her what she wants. *** The moment Steel Cross sees Winnie’s daughter steal some shoes for her younger brother, he knows he’s in trouble. He’s a sucker for misunderstood teens. After all, he was once one himself. He knows he can’t just walk away, and the moment he sees that troubled teen’s mother, he doesn’t just know it, he feels it. Down to the very bottom of his soul. With his share of hard knocks, he knows that he shouldn’t step in and make his move on a fellow police officer’s ex. There’s a code, after all, yet he just can’t seem to help himself. He’s done being the good guy. Sometimes he just wants to be bad. And Winnie makes him realize that being bad is still kind of good. As long as you’re with the right person.

Omg ! Omg ! Omg! Loved loved this one !This is definitely one of my favorite reads so far in this MC series.Storm had me totally in love with him from the very first pages.This story had an amazing cast of characters from the main characters themselves to Winnie's children's.
I love stories like this a lot as they just make you warm and fuzzy inside.I have to say that my heart broke for Winnie from first meeting her and the struggles she was enduring on top of trying to recover from a spinal stroke.I never heard of such a thing so I needed to look it up and after reading about it it gave me even more insight into what challenges Winnie faced and top of it all trying to care for a teenager and a small child who had set backs himself.With all that she had to cope with she still kept it together just made me love her more.Going from a renowned marathon runner to barely able to walk never seemed to get the best of her she never wallowed in self pity she just fought harder and harder to get back to the way she was before the stroke.What an amazing women!
I always pick a favorite character in a story and I have to say that this time around it was extremely hard but I am picking Storm but, in my mind there were so many favorites.Storm was just so love-able,sweet,kind,sexy,stern and rough around the edges,dangerous with just his presence and looks but, he was also a marshmallow inside along with having one very large heart.I loved how he handled Conleigh from the onset of meeting her right away he saw more to her than a delinquent he saw a troubled teen who he wanted to help set back on the right path.I loved the banter back and forth between these too along with forging and instant connection and a certain kind of trust.I just loved how he took to Cody and never got annoyed with all his random facts that constantly came from the little boys mouth but, seemed keenly interested and in awe.My heart melted when he gave Cody the man talk.I laughed out loud along with finding myself falling in love with him even more.Storm needed these kids just as much as they needed him as he was going through a bit of a rough patch himself.
I loved this sweet romance that was filled with chemistry,the scorching looks,the heat that sizzled between Storm and Winnie.I loved the easiness that they had between them.I loved that Storm became the father figure for two lonely children without even realizing he was doing just that and mended a broken women just by loving her and his deeds alone.Storm maybe easy on the eye and level headed but, when someone messes with his family all bets are off and we see what just lurks beneath the surface and that is a deadly dangerous predator!
Cody Winnie's sons was just so adorable and cute and  I loved him always spilling his random facts especially spouting from a 5 year old.Precious!Love how he took to Storm like a duck to water and that Storm being so much older never fazed him he just saw Storm as a buddy.
Conleigh broke my heart as you new she suffered from her parents break up and Matt her stepfather's betrayal.She was hurting acted out irrationally and even dangerously.I loved how she unloaded some of her burdens on Storm and the friendship she created with him putting her trust in him there first chance meeting.Feeling the warm and fuzzies here..I loved the closeness she had with her brother Cody the sweetness and kindness she always showed him.The typical teen with defiance but just as love-able as her brother.
Winnie for me just was women to admire and you couldn't help but love and she had so many great qualities.I found her to be filled with kindness one of the sweetest people yet bold,brave,determined who loved her family fiercely and was willing to lay down her own life for the ones she loves.
This really was a very emotional touching story that went straight to your heart infused with pain,suffering,betrayals,overcoming the odds infused with a bit of drama and suspense surprises and Happily Ever Afters and we loved it from cover to cover.
I love when you can connect with the characters that you read about and I did just that making it even a more of an enjoyable story.My favorite part of the story would have to be when Storm realized that love meant more to him than a age difference and took just what his heart desired and had always desired not just his women but the children he was meant to love and call his own.
Favorite scene in the entire book would have to be the breakfast scene between Storms Son,daughter in-law and grand-daughter interacting with his current ready made family the entire scene made me laugh as well as smile and I loved it!
For me the author created the perfect surprise ending to such and endearing love story that we enjoyed imensely.Lets just say it left me crying as well as laughing just the perfect mix.
5 stars
A personal note: I have loved each and every story that I have read so far by this author and I am so looking forward to other books in this series and well as her other works she creates for us.
About The Author
I’m a married mother of three. My kids are all under 8, so I can assure you that they are a handful. I’ve been with my paramedic husband now for ten years, and we’ve produced three offspring that are nothing like us. I live in the greatest state in the world, Texas.