logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-10-19 23:30
The Book With No Pictures
The Book with No Pictures - B.J. Novak

Definitely one that needs to be shared with others. This is such a cute book that forces the reader to say silly things to their audience. You don't really need an illustration, if you're admitting that you're a monkey with a head made out of blueberry pizza but wait, did I just say that? Reading the text, you can't help but get into a rhythm and a character, as you read these humorous and outrageous ideas and then, realize that you have just done these crazy things because you are reading the book. I really liked the font and how the author's used the space in the book. Definitely a book that will leave a smile on your face.

“And now it’s time for me to sing you my favorite song!

A song?
Do I really have to sing a -----"

review 2020-10-19 22:43
The Incredible Book Eating Boy
The Incredible Book-Eating Boy - Oliver Jeffers

What a cute book! It was an accident really, the way this all started. Henry wasn't paying attention when he took his first bite, it was one single word out of a book. Henry enjoyed it so much that he continued eating words until eventually, he was eating whole books! Henry got so good at eating books that instead of taking the books apart, Henry was swallowing the books whole! This part made me smile as I thought Henry must be related to the, "I know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a ...." as Henry was beginning to swallow some pretty big books!

This new talent that Henry had discovered was also beneficial for him too. He discovered a reward for all this eating and this is where he should have had some self-control! Henry should have enjoyed his new life and it's perks but nope, Henry had to shoot for the stars.

Another great story by Oliver Jeffers!

review 2020-10-11 23:19
Virginia Wolf by Kyo Maclear and Isabelle Arsenault
Virginia Wolf - Isabelle Arsenault,Kyo Maclear

I adore this short picture book! The artwork, characters, and story is charming. The relationship between the two sisters is absolutely adorable. You can tell they care for one another and want to be there for each other when life gets hard. I love how this book encouraged kids to dive into their imagination if ever they feel depressed because they may find the happiness they are seeking. As someone who constantly daydreams of one day going to a place not of this realm, I related to Virginia so much. I, too, dream of my own perfect world. And if we continue to search for it, through art or writing or any other creative outlets, we may one day find our Home.

This book is absolutely beautiful. I encourage you to pick it up! It's short but has a lovely message and beautiful artwork to go with it! Anyone can pick up this picture book and find enjoyment in it. May also encourage you look explore your imagination again in case you've been focusing too much on Reality. It's a great book!

show activity (+)
review 2020-10-06 02:48
Jack Frost: The End Becomes the Beginning (The Guardians, #5) by William Joyce
Guardians Chapter Book #5 - William Joyce

I've been reading this series for a long time now. I began reading this series earlier this year with the intent to read each book back to back to get the full picture of what William Joyce wanted to tell the reader. I started well with my reading adventure, reading all the picture books and the first four books in the series in a timely manner. Then 2020 happened and slapped everyone in the face including myself. I'm not going to lie, guys. It's been hard. Extremely hard. With the pandemic, the civil injustices happening in my country, wildfires raging madly on the West coast, and personal issues happening throughout, I have not had the time nor the mental fortitude to dedicate to reading. My health (physical, mental, and emotional) has not been doing well either. I just feel like I've been all over the place as of late. With that being said, I am hoping things are settling enough that I can get back into reading. Still being mindful and aware we are not out of the woods yet (nor will we be any time soon), but also capable of treating myself right and enjoy a good book from time to time. I'm still mentally clogged with everything going on, but I want to try to get back into the hobbies I love and miss doing this year.

And with that, I bring to you my review of Jack Frost: The End Becomes the Beginning.

I really liked this book. It's not my favorite book in the series, but I did enjoy it for what it was. I don't intend to go into too many details with this review since it's the final book in the series but I did want to talk about a few things that won't spoil the plot.

It's a very good book. And the conclusion, though not really what I was hoping for, was not bad in any way. However, I had a few problems with it as I was reading it. The first thing that bugged me was the pacing. Joyce wrote this book after the movie came out and it shows. Which is a bit of a bummer for since his original story was magnificent. In this book he tried to tie in the movie and book universes too much and it did not blend well. It felt disjointed at times and forced. The pacing suffered because of this as well. The beginning was very slow. VERY SLOW. He kept rehashing certain scenes from the previous books and also diving deep into moments that took placed in the past and not during the actual story being told. A lot of the story was told in "flashback" moments which took the reader out of the current plot. It felt messy and rushed in some areas and it dragged in others.

The characters are still loveable and unique. But they definitely took a backseat in this book. Joyce focused more on action and "plot" but he completely forgot about what a lot of readers picked up these books for in the first place and that was to see these amazing characters interact in this whimsical world he created. When those parts appeared in this book, it was incredible just like it was in the precious books. But they were few and far between. Most of the scenes in this book was one battle after the other. That's it. I wanted to see more of the relationships between all of the characters,

I especially feel Pitch was left as an afterthought, almost. Yes, he's a lingering presence throughout the whole book, but he doesn't actually make an appearance until the end of the book, if you're not including the flashback portion. It was very underwhelming seeing what happens at the end. I was hoping for more interaction, more feeling. It was like (and I'm keeping it vague here on purpose) Jack does a thing, Emily Jane says thanks, and that's it! I wanted Jack and Pitch to have a full on conversation! To come to the realization that they are not so different after all. To say thanks or sorry or something! But we didn't get much of anything and it felt very hollow.

The ending... I'm not a huge fan of. It was an ending that would have meant something if we were introduced to certain elements beforehand. Not almost 250 pages into the book. It felt, like most of this books, rather empty and pointless.

That's not to say this book is bad. It's not. I did like it. I was just expecting to see more of the characters I fell in love with interacting with one another and understanding one another. Instead I got a bunch of action with no real substance.

If you've read the other books in this series, I do recommend you read this one. It's good to see the conclusion to this amazing series. Just don't expect too much going in and you may enjoy this a lot more.

I'm glad that despite everything that's been happening in the world, I was still able to finish this series that I have been meaning to read for quite some time now. I don't know what I'll be reading next but I hope that I will continue to read regardless.

review 2020-09-15 07:16
Recenzja: Netflix, jak to się udało

Nie jestem wielkim zwolennikiem Netfliksa, ale jest to niezaprzeczalnie fenomen rynku usług elektronicznych. I bez dwóch zdań można w jego przypadku użyć ulubionego stwierdzenia autora recenzowanej książki, że także polscy „użytkownicy to pokochali”. Mowa tu o książce zatytułowanej „Netflix. To się nigdy nie uda” autorstwa Marca Randolpha. napisana nie przez byle kogo, bo Marc Randolph był także współzałożycielem tej firmy.

Marc Randolph „Netflix. To się nigdy nie uda”

Dziś Netflix jest synonimem abonamentowej wypożyczalni, opartej na automatycznym ściąganiu pieniędzy co miesiąc z karty użytkownika. Według tego, co pisze autor, to on był też pomysłodawcą obciążania klientów właśnie w ten sposób, a więc nie dlatego, że się na coś zgodzili, lecz tego nie odmówili. Efektem są rosnące obroty wielu firm stosujących ten sam chwyt, ale i raz po raz wylewane żale osób, które zapomniały wyłączyć jakąś usługę podpiętą „promocyjnie” do ich konta. W książce opisana jest znamienna scena, w której drugi z założycieli Netfliksa twierdzi, że takie postępowanie jest nieetyczne. Ale wątpliwości mijają, gdy dochodzi do konstatacji, że tak firma będzie ściągać pieniądze szybciej, łatwiej i więcej. i w sumie o tym jest ta opowieść jak dla mnie.

„– Nie możesz po prostu naliczać komuś opłaty, nie pytając o zgodę – oznajmił Reed. – To totalnie nieetyczne.

Ale totalnie normalne – przekonywałem. – Nie zamówiłeś nigdy subskrypcji jakiegoś magazynu?

Nie podoba mi się to.

Mają szansę dostać coś zupełnie za darmo – ciągnąłem. – A my mamy szansę na złapanie ich na haczyk. Coś za coś. Od samego początku znają zasady.

Może zapomną.

Słuchaj, jeśli oferta podobała im się na tyle, żeby podać nam numer karty kredytowej, są szanse, że polubią nas na tyle, by pozwolić nam go zachować.”

Marc Randolph „Netflix. To się nigdy nie uda”

Autor w kółko pisze o „kulturze startupów” tak, jakby to było niebywałe osiągnięcie społeczno-ekonomiczne. Raz po raz podkreśla, jak pięknie jest pracować od świtu do wieczora w nowopowstałej firmie, nie dbając o dni wolne, urlopy, właściwą dietę czy rodzinę. Co prawda autor próbuje dbać o swoją rodzinę, ale jak to bywa we prywatnych firmach – założycielowi i współwłaścicielowi jakoś to łatwiej przychodzi. Choćby z tego powodu, że to on decyduje o siedzibie firmy w pobliżu swojego domu, tudzież trudno go wylać z roboty bo na przykład sobie wziął wolne w niewłaściwym momencie. Ale nawet zwalnianie pracowników wydaje się w tej książce sukcesem. Może nie akurat sukcesem pracowników, którzy zostali ściągnięci podczas zakładania Netfliksa z innych firm, w których dobrze zarabiali. Może akurat nie tych pracowników, którzy zgodnie „kulturą startupów” oddawali firmie całe swoje dnie a może i noce. Może akurat nie tych pracowników, którzy znakomicie pracowali. Ale było to dobre dla firmy, której priorytetem jest zarabianie pieniędzy, aby przyciągnąć inwestorów, którym można sprzedać akcje za jak największą kwotę, aby współzałożyciele mogli swoje udziały spieniężyć ze stukrotnym zyskiem.

Druga sprawa „kultury startupów” odnosi się do klientów. I tu oczywiście ważne jest, żeby „oni to pokochali”. Ale biada im jeśli pokochali coś, co się firmie mniej opłaca niż jakaś nowa forma zarabiania. Wtedy na przykład muszą pokochać abonament za 20 USD i porzucić miłość do abonamentu za 10 USD. Albo się odkochać. Dla firmy „kultury startupów” oczywiście zawsze najważniejsze jest zadowolenie klientów... Ale jeśli na przykład trzeba poświęcić „miłość” 100 tys. klientów przynoszących mniejszy zysk niż 50 tys., na których można zarobić więcej, to trudno. Zmienia się ofertę tak, aby pasowała do większych zysków. Zysk okazuje się ważniejszy, a klienci? Może da im się wmówić nową miłość.

Mimo mojego marudzenia na gloryfikację „kultury startupów” uważam, że to bardo pouczająca i całkiem fajnie napisana książka, chyba dość dobrze oddająca zarys drogi do sukcesu globalnej marki. Szczególnie warta jest ona polecenia tym, którzy marzą o założeniu firmy, która podbije świat. W książce można przeczytać bardzo budujące rady o tym między innymi, że pierwsze dziesięć milionów dolarów zainwestowane przez współzałożycieli i pierwszych inwestorów to mogą być pieniądze stracone. Można się też dowiedzieć, że zwolnienie 40% dobrze pracującej załogi to sukces, bo pozostałe 60% procent to już same gwiazdy, które dadzą z siebie firmie jeszcze więcej, by nie zostać balastem wyrzucanym za burtę, gdy firmowa łódź stanie się zbyt ociężała. Można też przeczytać, że warto podążać za swoimi marzeniami (szczególnie jeśli ma się kolegę, który zainwestuje w nie dwa miliony dolarów). Polecam szczególnie osobom zainteresowanym szeroko pojętą Doliną Krzemową. Po niewydanej w Polsce „Piloting Palm” Andrei Butter i Davida Pogue, po biografiach „Innowatorzy” i „Steve Jobs” Waltera Isaacsona oraz „Jednym kliknięciem” Richarda L. Brandta, to kolejna ciekawa pozycja na ten temat.

Dolina Krzemowa w literaturze

„Piloting Palm” Andra Butter, David Pogue

„Innowatorzy” Walter Isaacson

„Steve Jobs” Walter Isaacson

„Jednym kliknięciem” Richard L. Brandt

„Netflix. To się nigdy nie uda” Marc Randolph

Na koniec chcę podkreślić – szanuję pracę i pomysłowość zarówno autora książki jak i innych uczciwych przedsiębiorców. Ale twierdzenie, że „ludzie coś pokochali”, gdy chodzi o zwykłe nakłonienie ich do wydawania pieniędzy, uważam za zwykłe wciskanie kitu. A skoro o zarabianiu mowa, to zgarnięcie setek milionów dolarów za kilka lat pracy jest z kolei (moim zdaniem) zwyczajnie niemoralne, szczególnie w obliczu wcześniejszego wywalenia z roboty znakomitych pracowników, którzy zostali uznani za balast.

Recenzowanego e-booka można kupić m.in. w księgarni Ebookpoint czy LitRes (w LitRes podając kod 10CYFR przy zakładaniu konta – zakładka „Kupon” – otrzymasz 10 PLN zwrotu za zakupy o wartości 20 PLN).