logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-29 03:26
Book Review: The Tea Rose
The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly

Book: The Tea Rose

Author: Jennifer Donnelly

Genre: Fiction/19th Century/Romance

Summary: East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything - and everyone - she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future. - St. Martin's Griffin, 2002.

review 2017-04-29 03:17
RUMP RAIDING RAPTORS by Alana Melos
Rump Raiding Raptors (The Janus Key Chro... Rump Raiding Raptors (The Janus Key Chronicles Book 1) - Alana Melos,Rev. Jotham Talbot
  Twins Dirk and Debbie run afoul of Janus who punishes them by sending time traveling. Their first travels take them to prehistoric times.

This is quirky. It is unique. It is funny and likable. I cannot wait to read more of the series.
review 2017-04-28 22:40
Short but sweet
I Don't Want to Be a Frog - Dev Petty

I've fallen for Dev Petty and Mike Boldt again. I Don't Want to be a Frog reunites us with our spunky frog friend and his glasses-wearing dad as he continually asserts that he'd rather be anything except a frog. Once again, the humor and illustrations pair together perfectly to tell a fantastic little story about an adolescent amphibian that doesn't feel overly satisfied with his lot in life. (Frogs have to eat bugs after all. Yuck!) Get ready for the end because it's sure to cause howls of laughter with the little people in your life as you read it out loud to them. I could go on and on about how much fun I think this book is but I have to get back to reading. :-P

PS This is definitely one for storytime.

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2017-04-28 20:40
Review: The Piper's Price
The Piper's Price (The Neverland Wars Book 2) - Audrey Greathouse

eArc review copy provided by author.

An enjoyable follow up to the Neverland Wars. Picking up shortly after where the first book left off, Gwen is now back in Neverland with Peter Pan and her beloved sister Rosemary, ready to aid Peter in his quest to find the Pied Piper.

There was a lot more action in this second instalment, much more of an actual plot, than focusing on Gwen torn between wanting to hang on to her childhood or be a grown up. While there was certainly a huge issue with Gwen still struggling with this problem, there was nowhere near so much philosophical waxing and waning over it.

Peter needs the Piper’s help to formulate a plan that will stop the adults in Reality attacking Neverland. Gwen is sent back into Reality to team up with a now grown up friend of Peter who can help solve the clues to find the means of attracting the Piper’s attention.

Tiger Lily makes an appearance in this one, as a grown adult woman, with friends of other adult women who have left Neverland and grown up, but still remember Peter and the allure of Neverland itself. It’s interesting to see how they cope with Gwen’s appearance and her strange requests. Though it pulls Gwen back into reality and a life she’s not sure if she wants to give up or not. The women hold a “book club” and there’s one rather poignant scene where they’re discussing a romance novel, “Tryst on the Thames” and later Gwen finds a copy wants to know what it’s about, she’s old enough to understand, but the lady who comes to her aid, Dawn, says rather bluntly if she’s still flying about with Peter Pan she’s not old enough to be discussing romance novels.

Kind of a bitter sweet but apt point to illuminate Gwen’s awkward positon. Gwen finds herself going on a shopping trip and getting a new hairdo and these normal teenage things help give her flying the happy boost. Things that would give a normal girl a happy, not something someone deep in magic and Neverland should be that fussed about. Just more of the awkwardness of a teenager dealing with Neverland.

And being back in reality brings Gwen back in touch with her potential love interest from the first book, Jay. I actually really like Jay as a character, he listens to Gwen, he likes her, he doesn’t think she’s nuts when she explains her predicament to him. He’s a nice, decent guy and I can see why Gwen confides in him. I like the way their friendship develops and hints that there could be something more between them, but Gwen of course is torn with her duty to Neverland.

Gwen has some interesting friendship developments in this one, bringing her to see the sides of adults who have been to Neverland and grown up, and then the more magical side of friendships with the Lost Children and the fairies and Lasiandra the mermaid.  The Piper himself is quite a dark and creepy character, and something of a jackass. (Though I also quite liked the Piper and the role he played later on in the novel). We also get to see some of the nastier side of the adults in reality and what they’re doing with the magic and beings stolen from Neverland.

Lots more action and some great character development on Gwen, though Peter Pan himself…I found him annoying really. An interesting ending, and I’m definitely looking forward to the final part in this trilogy.

review 2017-04-28 18:41
Hannah's Moon
Hannah's Moon (American Journey Book 5) - John A. Heldt

Claire and Ron Rasmussen have struggled with fertility and loss for the past eight years. Wanting nothing more than to be parents, Claire and Ron turn to adoption after their last heartbreaking loss. However, adopting a healthy, caucasian infant in present day California is another long and sometimes painful road. When a distant aunt and uncle, the Bells, learn of Claire and Ron's struggle, they know that they have the perfect solution hidden away in the basement of their house, The Painted Lady. Using their time travel tunnel, the Bells prepare to send Claire, Ron and Claire's brother David back to 1945 near the end of WWII. Adoption policies are much less strict and infants are abundant in Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1945. Claire, Ron and David arrive safely, move into a nice house and find a perfect bundle of joy, Hannah. They plan to stay several months until the adoption is finalized. They make friends with a wonderful neighbor and begin to enjoy life in a different time. Nevertheless, meddling in a different time can have issues, the Rasmussen's are being watched by the FBI and Ron is forced to enlist leaving Claire and David to wonder if they will all make it back to their own home and time.

This is the fifth installment of the American Journey series and was a little different than the previous time travel romances I've read in the series. The love in Hannah's moon was very much focused on family life making Hannah's Moon a balance between heartwarming and dramatic. I was very happy to see that the plot pivoted on adoption; although, as a mother, the first chapter broke me a bit and I had to put the book down for a while. After that though, I was transported back to 1945. John A. Heldt always done a wonderful job of conveying the time period through the eyes of his time travelers. This time, with the help of their neighbor, Margaret, the Rasmussen's are given a full southern welcome. I absolutely loved the adoption of Hannah and Margaret's childhood story helped to solidify their decision. Being set at the end of WWII, I was not expecting to learn much about the actual war, although, with Ron's enlistment I was very intrigued to learn about the USS Indianapolis and the what happened to the Navy members aboard the ship. The ending of Hannah's Moon is bittersweet, I got to revisit all of time travellers from past novels as the Bell's revealed a secret.

This book was provided for free in return for an honest review.