logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-21 22:13
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng

I'm honestly kind of of disappointed in this book. I'd heard so many rave reviews from friends who read, and loved it. Perhaps I set my expectations slightly too high because of that, but this just didn't live up to what I was hoping for. I understood what Ng was going for. I saw the picture that she was trying to paint with total clarity. This story just never hit the point where I felt fully invested in it, and that was a shame.

This book was written beautifully. It was lyrical, and flowed perfectly. It was the characters that never let me into their lives. Even Lydia, our poor deceased main character, felt like a flat piece of cardboard rather than a real girl. I hated her mother. I hated her brother. I somewhat liked her father and her sister, but really only because they were the two characters who had some kind of depth to them. They were flawed, and they let me see their true selves. Lydia was a cutout. A cutout of a girl who is floundering in a life that she didn't build for herself. I'm not going to lie, I kind of hated her too.

I know there will be people who love this story. I, alas, am simply not one of them.

review 2018-08-21 10:44
David Bowie: A life

David Bowie: A Life

Dylan Jones

Hardcover: 544 pages

Publisher: Crown Archetype (September 12, 2017)

ISBN-10:045149783X

ISBN-13:978-0451497833

Reviewed by: Dr. Wesley Britton

When Prince died on April 21, 2016, just four months after the passing of David Bowie on January 10, there were immediate and numerous comparisons made between the two giants of music in terms of importance and influence. I well recall one TV commentator certain Prince was the more influential of the two.

Huh?

I can’t figure out that reasoning at all. For one matter, by the time of Prince’s first successes in 1979, Bowie had already made a decade-long cultural impact difficult to match. As some of the interviewees in Dylan Jones oral history of the life of David Bowie opined, Ziggy Stardust was where the ‘60s ended and the ‘70s began. A large number of British acts from U2 to Duran Duran acknowledge Bowie as an important influence. Not to mention acts like Mott the Hoople, Iggy Pop,  Lulu, and Lu Reed who all benefited from Bowie’s career-saving hand. Later, Madonna and Lady Gaga also pointed to Bowie as a seminal influence on their careers. And all this before Prince set foot into a recording studio.

And, judging from the countless verbal snapshots in Dylan Jones oral history, Bowie’s impact on the many people who knew or simply met him was profound on many levels.    For one matter, he was a figure with a deep well of interest from music to the visual arts to theatre and film to fashion to literature.  Because of his shifting guises throughout his career, he worked with a wide range of collaborators, producers, musicians, and business advisors. Depending on your point of view, Bowie was simply following his vision or was callous in his leaving some of his associates behind as he changed directions throughout his career.

While painting a “warts and all” portrait of Bowie in the words of hundreds of personal interviews, Dylan Jones presents a more than rounded portrait of an artistic giant worthy of the many accolades Bowie received before and after his death, but certainly he was no saint.  In his personal life, he enjoyed a wide range of sexual experiences. Many of them, by 2018 standards, could be considered child molestation. During the ‘70s, Bowie did a bit too much coke. And during the ‘80s, his artistic vision let him down when he crafted some admittedly substandard albums.

But, in the main, most commentators on Bowie in Dylan Jones’ biography remember Bowie in a very favorable light, from his private personal life to his work in the studio to his interactions with, well, seemingly everyone he ever met. From start to finish, Bowie is seen as an innovative artist with drive, talent, a special physical presence as well as intellectual abilities and curiosity. It’s such a personal book that those looking for insights into Bowie’s creative process may feel slighted, but there are no shortage of other books that explore such aspects of Bowie’s output.

I’ve always shied away from using the term “definitive” for any biography as many are comprehensive but usually lack in one aspect or another. Dylan Jones A Life comes close as he actually wrote very little but instead compiled a year-by-year history of Bowie and his circles using the voices of so many observers. It might not be the one and only book you should read about Bowie, but I can’t imagine any other tome out there that touches so many bases. Maybe not definitive, but certainly indispensable.

This review first appeared at BookPleasures.com on Aug. 20, 2018:

review 2018-08-20 17:18
Story shrouded in darkness, just the way Kerrigan Byrne can do it so well.
The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo - Kerrigan Byrne

This story had me turning pages furiously from the very beginning. So much pain, darkness, and misery could not stand up to the light of Lorelai's innocence, caring, and persistence. Ash/the Rook was such an empty man, but I loved how he knew from the start that Lorelai belonged to him, was his safety, his reason for living, though he was unable to voice it. Their love changed both of them but for the better. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and could not put it down. I highly recommend it.

I received a copy of this story through Netgalley, and it is a Book Obsessed Chicks Review Team selection. This is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-08-20 15:18
Let's Go Play at the Adams' by Mendel W. Johnson
Let's go play at the Adams' - Mendal W. Johnson

I've heard a lot about this book and finally found a copy to read. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. The kids are nasty, to be sure, especially Paul. He was a true psycho in the making. The other terrifying thing was that the youngest evil kid was only 9! And they were so nonchalant about everything, as if it was just a regular occurrence.  That is what gave me the chills.

But, I just thought the story was too slow and rambled on a bit and I didn't care for the writing style. The copy I had, had formatting issues so it was a bit difficult to read and maybe that's what made it just an ok book for me. I did remind me of The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum, which I thought was much better.

If you're into the evil kids bit, this might be for you, otherwise you might want to pass on it.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-08-19 20:41
July 2018 — A Wrap Up

Originally published at midureads.wordpress.com on August 19, 2018.

20821263

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

“Silver”

I finally learned how Samuel and Bran became werewolves. The story is dark and violent but that seems fitting.

“Roses in Winter”

Asil, an aging werewolf in the Marrok’s pack is more man than beast. An innocent girl, Kara, begins to change all that.

“Redemption”

Ben has always been an interesting character in the Mercy series. He is misogynistic and can’t say two words without cursing. He also has a lot of baggage to deal with due to an abusive past. Yet he redeems himself in this story!

“Hollow”

I don’t really remember much about this one, except that it felt incomplete. Funny thing is that this one featured Mercy and I loved the one before this and the one before that.

“Fairy Gifts”

This is the story of Thomas the vampire who comes back home to repay a favor. I found it boring.

“Gray”

Elyna Gray is a vampire who must face the consequences of her actions when she killed the man she loved. Sad but interesting story.

“Alpha and Omega”

I have never really cared about the other series. This story takes us back to the first time Marrok’s son Charles met his wife Anna. I found it okayish. You can see the author’s uncertainty about the whole concept of Omega werewolves. She hasn’t gotten there yet and the story suffers for it.

“Seeing Eye”

A werewolf Tom meets a witch Moira. Gruesome things happen in this one but I liked it anyway. One thing that bothers me is why the author looks down on witches’ magic and the whole concept that it comes from pain and blood sacrifice. Even when she is describing white magic, it feels as if she is against it. Why though?

“The Star of David”

David Christiansen gets a family reunion that gives him a reason to continue living. Scary as heck but a feel-good story.

“In Red, with Pearls”

We are allowed to peek into the relationship that the werewolf Warren has with his boyfriend Kyle. While I love em both and together, I wasn’t a fan of this one. Warren was too overprotective of Kyle and not in a good way. I solved the identity of the person who hired the hit as soon as they were mentioned, which took the fun out of the story even more.

2089801523017992

Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vols. 1 & 2 by Al Ewing

screenshot_20180713-112407.jpg

Screenshot_20180713-111958screenshot_20180712-193955.jpgscreenshot_20180712-193951.jpg

Classic Loki antics. Plans within plans within plans. I wasn’t crazy about this one but it wasn’t bad either. As usual, Loki is trying to do the right thing in the wrongest of ways and for worse reasons. We see a glimpse of the Avengers in the first one. The second featured Doctor Doom.

34849019

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca by G. Willow Wilson

The humor characteristic of the series is seen in this volume too. Red Dagger shows up in Kamala’s playground. She celebrates Eid-ul-Azha. Kamala also runs away and finds out more people are supporting her and rooting for her than she thought. Captain Marvel makes an appearance and they patch up. In all, a fun installment. Can’t wait to read what happens next! Find my review of the previous volume here.

Screenshot_20180716-192316

3791575340116199

The Wilds #1 & 2 by Vita Ayala

So, the premise is good. The U.S. plays host to a plague that is slowly turning people into plants. The art is beautiful and the confrontations with those human-plant hybrids are adequately terrifying. Of course, there is a government conspiracy going on that I suppose we’ll find out in about in the next issues. But there seems to be something missing. Mostly though, I couldn’t bring myself to care for any of the characters. That means I dunno if I will be picking up the next in the series.

32777861

Moonshine, Vol. 1 by Brian Azzarello

A man who works for the mafia is sent to convince a rustic moonshine-maker. His boss wants to be the sole distributor of the amazing liquor. But when the poor guy reaches the place, strange things begin to happen. I liked the dark feel of the comic and the art too. Even so, like The Wilds, the something that would make me rip into the following issues eagerly isn’t there!

Screenshot_20180716-182343

Screenshot_20180716-182417

Screenshot_20180716-182857

12476058

Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon

The wittiness of the TV series is missing from the graphic novel. It was short and the end came abruptly. The artist translated the facial features of all characters with accuracy, except for Inara’s. She didn’t look right! I am still glad I bought this book because it came with an introduction by Nathan Fillion.

It seems I didn’t get much reading done in July and still managed to delay blogging about it. Shit happens! How was July for you?