logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-20 23:49
Good start to a series
Mack (Black Mountain Pack Book 1) - Mira... Mack (Black Mountain Pack Book 1) - Miranda Lynn

This is fast-paced read with a writing style that pulls a reader in. I was a bit leery at first with the whole sister or mate thing, but as the story progresses and things come together, it makes more sense. The romance of shifter mates, some shifter politics, a bit of magic, and a war between packs keep the story flowing nicely, and the characters and relationships between pack members were interesting, creating a solid start for a series.
The only drawback for me was that I felt like some areas of the story could've been developed a little better, but hopefully, that will come as the series goes on. Overall, I did enjoy the read and will be checking out book 2 in the series.

review 2017-07-20 20:16

By: Jamie Hollins
Releasing July 18, 2017
Self-Published

Blurb

When heroin stole James Foley’s wife and destroyed his marriage, he poured all his energy into raising his young son and running his auto garage. There’s no room in his life for anything else until Megan McKenna walks into his shop. He finds it impossible to resist the sexy school teacher.

After an ugly divorce, Megan lost her home, her job, and a big chunk of her self-respect. With her posh lifestyle now a memory, she starts over by indulging in an unexpected fling with a hard-bodied mechanic.

What begins as something casual turns into something meaningful. But how can their relationship survive when it’s built on half-truths?

James and Megan soon discover that being honest with themselves is just as important as being honest with each other. Only then will their relationship fire on all cylinders.

BUY LINKS

This is my first time diving into the McKenna series and reading author Jamie Hollins. I usually don’t go for Contemporary reads unless it’s Romantic Suspense, but the blurb peeked my interest. I liked the idea of two adults, both divorced, with pasts and issues to deal with ending up coming together and finding strength, love, and a true partnership.

James. I loved him. He’s perfect yet not, has issues to deal with, always has grease on him, overworks himself, and is doing the best he can in raising his son with the help of his father. We see several different sides to him and so you can not help but fall in love with him. His dedication to his work and how he put his kid’s feelings above his own. Perfect. Sweet.

Megan. I found her to be smart and sweet, but also a little week and her issue of not confiding in her family about her divorce and dating James really upset me. She was doing great, turning her life around, found a job she loves, and a man who was exactly what she needed, but she disappointed me in making excuses and not ripping that banded off with her family.

The story was good and I liked it. I enjoyed the characters and found the romance to be sweet, adorable, and satisfying. I liked that they took their time getting to know each other and that they also communicated, where open, and upfront from the start. It made the romance and relationship seem so real.

The epilogue wrapped everything up marvelously and I loved seeing the whole family be together.

Where I Need To Be is a charming and heartfelt romance, with a few laugh out loud moments, and some hot sexy scenes. I had a delightful time and will be check out previous books in the series.

Rated: 4 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Jamie Hollins via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): New To Me (Author/Series) | Pick Your Genre (Con) | New Release (2017)

Megan nibbled on her lower lip as she looked everywhere but at him. He desperately wanted to ask her what was bothering her, but he stopped himself. She wasn’t his. It was none of his business.

He needed to be straight with her.

“About Friday night…” He paused before deciding to begin a different way. “I need to be upfront with you and tell you that I’m not interested in a relationship. I’ve got a lot going on in my life with the shop and with my son. And a steady woman just doesn’t fit into my plans at the moment.”

She nodded but didn’t say anything. Shit, if she broke into tears in his parking lot, he didn’t know what he would do.

“I like you, Megan. I sure as hell liked what happened on Friday, and I’d like to see you again. But beyond that, I can’t give you anything more.”

“So are you saying you’d like to date but not exclusively?”

Was that what he was saying? That he wanted to date her?

“If by dating you mean periodically getting together and having sex, then sure, let’s go with that.”

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he wished he could take them back. He was being honest, but it had made him sound like a dick.

She looked skyward and smiled. “Thank God. That’s exactly what I was going to say.”

He frowned. “You were?”

“Yes!” She laughed. “What a relief. I had a lot fun with you. But jumping back into a relationship…I just can’t right now.”

“So we agree on this?” he asked incredulously.

“Absolutely.”

Huh. Wasn’t that something?

“Oh, but there is one thing I did want to add,” she said, grimacing slightly.

He knew there had to be a catch.

“If we’re…” She looked back toward the garage at the guys congregating around the open doors, pretending not to eavesdrop. “If we’re sleeping together, I’m not going to hold you to being exclusive, but I would hope you could extend the courtesy of letting me know if you meet someone else who you’d like to sleep with.”

He couldn’t help it, he let his chuckle slip. He wasn’t laughing at what she said. It was perfectly reasonable. He was laughing at the idea of wanting any other woman when he had Megan in his bed.

“That’s fair,” he replied. “And I’d expect the same courtesy from you.”

Smiling, she extended her hand. “Deal.”

He frowned, taking her outstretched hand. Instead of shaking it, he lightly tugged her toward him. “Sweetheart, I’m not shaking your hand like we’re conducting some business deal.”

She blinked, her mouth falling open before she closed it quickly. Pulling her hand from his grasp, Megan clutched the strap of her purse. “Of course, I’m sorry. That was stupid.”

He smiled, taking a step closer and leaning in slightly. “Not stupid, and you have nothing to apologize for.” He watched as her eyes fell to his lips and he liked the way this woman thought. “Now tell me…when can I see you again?”

She swallowed before nibbling on her lower lip. It took everything he had not to reach up and pull her rose-colored lip down with his thumb. James knew all of his employees were watching. They’d stopped the pretense of being busy the moment he’d pulled her toward him.

“How about we do dinner this weekend?” he asked. “It’ll have to be late, after Cade goes to bed.”

She nodded slowly. “I’d like that.”

“Saturday around nine o’clock?”

Her clear blue eyes smiled as she nodded again. “It’s a date.”

“It’s a date,” he repeated.

Jamie Hollins was born and raised in rural Northeast Ohio.  After graduate school, she embarked on a perilous career in Human Resources where she met plenty of real life characters.  When she’s not writing or chasing after her toddler, she enjoys reading and golfing.  Jamie lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, son, and their dog, Winston.

Author Links: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS

$25 Amazon GC + signed copy of WHERE I NEED TO BE (US Only)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/07/arc-review-where-i-need-to-be-mckenna-3-by-jamie-hollins
review 2017-07-20 18:38
I don't know, you guys
Jumping Barrel (Cyborg Sizzle Book 7) - Cynthia Sax

This is the kind of thing that I both love and hate.  Like some of this was eye rolling worthy, and some of it was like, 'alright, i got ya, I like it.'   I disliked it as much as I liked, and I did so equally.   Not like I liked half, but so much more than the rest.   So two and a half stars, I guess.

The world building wasn't good enough for this to be a stand alone, and even some of that made me raise my eyebrow.   Like the whole cybernetics allowing them to really only breed with one female.   How do they know?   How does Barrel know when the only thing he does is talk to her and see her over a screen?  I'd assume the whole breeding thing would be genetics, and as a cyborg, he might be able to scan her in some way - but over a screen?

I do have a thing for how much Barrel loves Nola.   (But some of the names.   Like Barrel?   Why?)

"His Nola would breed with him, would eventually grow to love him."

The 'breed with her then she'll slowly fall in love with him' makes no sense.  Keep in mind, the cyborgs in this tend to use breeding instead of fucking or sexing her up.   Or whatever you want to call it.

I mean, if she doesn't like fucking you the first time, will she really agree to do it over and over again until she loves you?

Shouldn't you try to win her over before you fuck her?

"A huge knife was rucked in the waistband of his ass covering."

I'm not quite sure if that should read as pocked in the back of his jeans, or if he has a special piece of clothing called an 'ass covering.'

"A leather strap slipped between her lips, muffling her question.   The male had gagged her."

First of all, I wanted to bash something when they called each other the male and the female.   Just why?

Secondly, he's gong to fuck her, then she'll 'eventually' fall in love with her, but first he'll start off with a non-consensual gagging.   I was like 'OH SHIT WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN HERE?????'

Nothing like what I was thinking, but yeah, I don't care if he says it's a precaution or not, the fact that he doesn't want me screaming doesn't equal love.   It equals a good, hard kick in the balls.

"She's been on her own since she had four solar cycles."

I'm not sure if 'solar cycles' is years or not?

"He tasted like metal and male..."

Keep going, please!

"...her rapidly expanding hair."

"Barrel slid his shaft along her folds, breeding without entry."

...

That just sounds wrong.  I mean, I know what he's doing, but breeding might not be the word you want there.

"She was hot, slick, snug, her inner walls hugging his tip, her purely female fragrance surrounding him."

I find this ridiculously not hot.   Am I the only one?

"He licked every droplet within reach, tasting salt and aroused female."

...

Show, don't tell.   Aroused female gives me nothing.   Is that in her sweat, so not her other bodily fluids?   Because other than that, how would you tell what aroused female tastes like?   This is part of the lazy world building, though.   Really, a microcosm of that.

"...her curves absorbing the race of his breeding, a buffer of softness, of caring."

The next time someone tells me I've gotten fat, or look pregnant, I'm going to gently chide them with 'that's just a bugger of softness, of caring.'

"His essence made contact with her flesh and she screamed, her form convulsing under his, her pussy squeezing his shaft harder."

Man, I almost laughed out loud so many times, but then I"d have to explain why and I didn't want to read this thing aloud.

So, yeah, not a great book - at all.

review 2017-07-20 17:32
Review: Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost
Up From the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death… because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear — will be hovering on the edge of the grave.

This is the final book in the Night Huntress series . On the one hand it was bitter-sweet to see Cat, Bones and friends go on the other it was time.

Now that I finished the complete series I think it was overdue. I would have been happy with five great books instead of the last two books seeming like Mrs. Frost is running out of ideas and just forcing things to happen.

This was not any different for this last book. Don’t get me wrong I liked it (well most of it) but it was not the same as what we got in the beginning of the series.

Sure we get the same characters, but something just seemed to be missing.

As far as this last book goes. I liked it we have Cat and Bones in full actions to not only save themselves but to prevent yet another full-blown war between the species. At the same time they ate trying to figure out what the government or more Madigan is and was up to. Once it is revealed what he has been up to, I thought “NO WAY”. But not in a good way.

I really didn’t care for this part of the story, it seemed too farfetched and yet reminded me of another vampire franchise, that done that. I didn’t care for what we find out. Not because it was (sort of) done before but because it just didn’t seem to fit and felt very forced.

I liked Cat in this book for the most part, except a few parts where she seemed to have lost the ability to think clearly. But mostly she as okay and it is rather amazing how far and how much she grown since the first book.

Bones, well he was Bones not much more to him and his moody self. Let’s not forget Tate.  Things change for him in a big…… I thought he handled it better that I thought he would fort being Tate that is.

Charles or Spade as we mostly known him, he used to be more the books and I used to like him but ever since the whole Denise thing, he turned into a big ole douche at least that is what I thought.,

Denise on the other grown so much, she might have even outgrown Spade and all the others. I really loved her in this book.

One other person I surprised me in this book and that was Ian. Man did I love him in this book, we learn so much more about him and I wish we would get more of him. Maybe someday as a spin-off we get Ian.

Overall I liked this book, it had suspense, humor, romance and action.  I rate the book at 3★     ...I wish I could have rated it higher being the last but it is what it is.

But that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the entire series, I sure did and I will miss Cat & Co for sure.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

***

“Shame on you, Crispin. Married how long, and you haven't spanked your wife with a metal spatula yet?"

***

“Only a fool chooses to live in ignorance when knowledge is so easily obtained.”

***

“That's how two vampires, a medium, and a dog came to sit around a Ouija board in the back room of a floral shop.”

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Links

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-grave-night-huntress-7-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-07-20 15:38
One of my favorite tropes is included
Blood of Tyrants - Naomi Novik

And man, I just loved this novel.  I know that this isn't for everyone - amnesia trope, by the way - but I've loved it since I fell in love with the X-Men, and Wolverine in particular.  I also love how well Novik does hurt/comfort, two tropes that are well used in fanfiction.   It should be noted that Novik is very open about starting out writing fanfiction, realizing she didn't like those confines, and never wanting to write fanfiction, filing off that serial number, and replacing names before publishing.  Oh, no, she uses fanfiction to get somewhere original, to eventually create a wholly original world.

But I'm not surprised to see so many tropes that I enjoy and are used in fanfic so often in her writing either.

Laurence, shipwrecked in China, has to find his way back to Temeraire, without use of his memory.   Meanwhile, everyone around Temeraire is convinced that Laurence is drowned, and tries to let him get on with it - mostly by allowing him to believe that Laurence is alive and to keep looking for him until he wears himself out with that searching.

I find it very telling when they're apart and what they're willing to do for each other: it's touching, and I couldn't help but hurt for Temeraire every time someone tried to tell him Laurence was dead.

Love, love, love.   This one moved really quickly for me, and I tended to resent having to put it down.  Looking forward to the last novel.