logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2018-02-24 03:09
Twice Shy (Shelter #3)
Twice Shy: Book Three in the Shelter Series - Kate Sherwood

Since Micah has spent most of the previous two books in a constant drug haze, it was nice to get to know him once he's free of the drugs. He's smart and philosophical, and he's realistic about his situation and the people he hurt with his drug habit. He knows he's got to keep working the program, even the parts that seem silly to him, and he doesn't get defensive when he's called out for veering off the rules. He knows he's got a lot of bridges to rebuild and relationships to mention, especially with his found family who he betrayed in the previous book. So getting know the real him was great.

I also liked that he was just miraculously clean after a stint in rehab. He's still tempted, and he's aware of his triggers and his pitfalls. Being idle is bad for him, so when his fellow rehab friend Austin gets his brother to offer Micah a job, he jumps at it.

Jake, Austin's brother, is a down-to-earth guy trying to grow his landscaping business, but he also has to take care of his younger brother, whose recovery is not going as well as Micah's. And with all his issues with Austin, I really couldn't buy it that he'd jump so quickly into a relationship with Micah. Yes, he questions the wisdom of it several times, and this is one of the few times the mid-book breakup actually makes sense. And even though this relationship develops over a few weeks, as opposed to the first two books which were both over a handful of days, this felt more rushed somehow. Maybe because I didn't really feel the connection, because I kept wondering why Jake, or even Micah, would risk a relationship at this point in their lives, and Austin's just another complication.

Really, this is a massive spoiler. You've been warned.

(spoiler show)

And I kind of felt that killing Austin off was just a little too "easy" for getting rid of that complication. Obviously, not easy emotionally for the characters, but easy narratively for the author.

(spoiler show)

I'm not sure what to make of the gentrification plot that's introduced here and which will be resolved somehow in the next book, which makes this kind of a cliffhanger. I guess I'll wait and see that resolution before deciding on it - though reading the blurb for the next book, I can already guess where that's going to go.

The three little snippets or interludes at the end were more like teasers for the next book than anything else, fun to read but not necessary.

Oh, and no way is that African violet surviving. They're way too picky and finicky to grow under the best of circumstances.

review 2018-02-23 23:54
Book Tour: Megan's Munchkins
Megan's Munchkins (Megan's World Book 1) - Pamela Foland

Megan’s Munchkins was adorable. Though it did something some books rarely do. That is the fact we get to learn about kitten care though not like we are getting bogged down with information all the time like a kitten book.

It as if Megan want to prove to her parents that can take care of a pet. Though she makes mistakes along the way. We see she how she changes and that of her parents. She afraid to tell her parents that she found them.

Will Megan's fear over rule and or will she tell her parents. We see her determination and struggle to want to tell her parents. She doe take on the responsibility of the kittens. She know she want them to live and not die.

Her family does not know other then her brother. Though will she face and accept the mistakes and learn from them. You will need to find out by reading. Her parents see the changes but they get a little upset when they find out what she been hiding.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2018/02/book-tour-megans-munchkins.html
show activity (+)
review 2018-02-23 23:05
Fever Pitch (Love Lessons Book 2) by Heidi Cullinan 4 Star Review
Fever Pitch: Love Lessons, Book 2 - Heidi Cullinan,Iggy Toma

Sometimes you have to play love by ear.

Aaron Seavers is a pathetic mess, and he knows it. He lives in terror of incurring his father’s wrath and disappointing his mother, and he can’t stop dithering about where to go to college—with fall term only weeks away. Ditched by a friend at a miserable summer farewell party, all he can do is get drunk in the laundry room and regret he was ever born. Until a geeky-cute classmate lifts his spirits, leaving him confident of two things: his sexual orientation, and where he’s headed to school.

Giles Mulder can’t wait to get the hell out of Oak Grove, Minnesota, and off to college, where he plans to play his violin and figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. But when Aaron appears on campus, memories of hometown hazing threaten what he’d hoped would be his haven. As the semester wears on, their attraction crescendos from double-cautious to a rich, swelling chord. But if more than one set of controlling parents have their way, the music of their love could come to a shattering end.

Review

So good! Heidi Cullinan is taking all my money.

Giles and Aaron are young and finding themselves. The stumble a great deal. Aaron very shy and lonely though on the outside he doesn't look it. Giles is very brave with everything but his heart.

They don't take enough risks with each other at first but as they grow into themselves they grown into friendship and a deep abiding love.

This is a really grand romance.

The whole cast is wonderful.

Great series. Great book.

review 2018-02-23 21:52
Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard
Miss Nelson Is Missing! - Harry Allard,James Marshall

Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard tells a valuable story on being respectful towards your teacher/adults and being grateful for what/who you have. This is such a fun story for students to read or hear read aloud to them. It is light hearted and funny but still teaches a moral lesson. The students will learn the importance of being grateful for the people in your life and treating them with the respect they deserve.

I would have students create a "Wanted" or "Missing Person" poster to find the two teachers, Miss Nelson and Miss Swamp. In the poster they would draw a picture of the missing character of their choice and write a brief description on the character.

Guided Reading: L
Lexile: 340L
Accelerated Reader Level: 2.7

review 2018-02-23 20:37
I Love My Hair by Natasha Tarpley
I Love My Hair! - Natasha Tarpley

I really enjoyed reading I Love My Hair by Natasha Tarpley. This book serves a greater purpose than just a good story. It teaches young girls (and even boys) to love their hair (or any other characteristic) and its uniqueness. Specifically, this book tackles the long history of young, black girls disliking their hair because it is "different" from everyone else hair. This book highlights all the great things her hair can do and all the different ways she can wear it as well as the heritage and culture of her hair. I also love the use of positive similes and metaphors when comparing the main character's hair to objects.

I would read this book to the class, pausing to discuss with students the ways her mom does her hair, the different styles she wears her hair in (and ask the student what their favorite hairstyles are), and feelings towards her hair (compared to the student's feeling towards their own hair), etc. After reading I would ask students to write a paragraph that connects the book to themselves or their own hair. I would ask them to use evidence from the text to support their connection.

Lexile Measure: 670L