logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: booklikes-opoly
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-29 13:16
Fortune Like the Moon by Alys Clare
Fortune like the Moon - Alys Clare

Richard I is worried about the fallout from his mother’s decision to release all the prisoners to commemorate the start of his reign when a nun is found brutally murdered, so he sends Josse d’Acquin to investigate at Hawkenlye.

I quite liked this mystery, there were several clever reversals, and it was the Abbess Helewise who solved the murder! Don’t worry, that’s only a very mild spoiler. I won’t tell you who actually did it. I wasn’t sure about some of the historical details that the story relied on and I could have done without the very last chapter (it provided a resolution that I could have done without), so I’m going with 3.5 stars despite dithering about 4. I do plan on looking into the next one in the series, however.

I read this for booklikes-opoly square Frontierland 1 “Read a book with a title that starts with any letter in FRONTIER”.  At 256 pages, this nets me another $3 for my bank, bringing my balance to $98!

review 2017-05-29 11:19
Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charlie Davidson, #11)
Eleventh Grave in Moonlight - Darynda Jones

Darynda Jones is quickly becoming the second author alive for whom I'd go out of my way to have a conversation with.  Folded into a zany, quirky, funny urban fantasy series is some deeply well thought out theology; hidden amid the rapid-fire one-liners, Jones tackles head on the issues of God, free-will, and why He "allows' pain and suffering.  And she doesn't take it lightly, and she doesn't go for easy answers or glib reasoning.  She's successfully mixed silliness and the very opposite of silliness and I'm a little bit in love with her for pulling it off.

Eleventh Grave... clears a lot of the ongoing questions up, and I'd go so far as to say it brings the major story-arc to a close.  The climatic scene was so shattering, the resolution was almost an afterthought.  This is by no means the end of the series, as far as I know - there's still a lot of questions unanswered so it had better not be.

It was mostly excellent; my complaints are twofold:  The first - we don't find out what happened to Strawberry Shortcake's brother.  I hate unresolved stuff like that.  Second:  I have to preface this with the disclaimer that I'm not a prude.  Sex scenes don't bother me in the slightest, but Jones went a little too far for my comfort in one of the scenes here.  It wasn't that it was deviant in any way, but after 11 books I feel like I've come to know Charlie and Reyes; like an invisible, unacknowledged member of the gang.  And yeah, I'd rather not know as much about Charlie and Reyes as I got from that scene.  At one point it stopped being sexy and started being really awkward.   On the flip side, she wrote a hell of a homage to When Harry Met Sally in another scene.

Awkward sex aside, I'm with Jones and Charlie until the wheels fall off.  I'd say until hell froze over but apparently, that's a thing.

Page count:  310

$$:  3.00

review 2017-05-29 02:08
Goliath
Goliath - Scott Westerfeld,Keith Thompson

One of my goals for this year is to go back and finish out some of the many series that I started and then got distracted before finishing.  I’d read Leviathan  and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld a while ago, so when I landed on  Paradise Pier I thought it might be a good time to go back and finish out the trilogy.

As I read, the song Handsome Cabin Boy kept running through my head:

'Tis of a handsome female , As you may understand.

Her mind being bent on rambling unto some foreign land,

She dressed herself in sailor's clothes,  Or so it does appear,

And she hired on with a captain, to serve him for a year….

Well the adventures of Miss  Deryn Sharp aka Mr. Dylan Sharp turn out somewhat better than that of the “cabin boy” in the song, but I think you can understand why the story of a young woman disguised as a midshipman brought the song to mind.

I still like Scott Westerfeld’s clever re-imagining of World War I as a contest between the Darwinists who use bioengineering and the Clankers who create mechanical creatures and still love how Keith Thompson’s interior art enriches the story. However, I found the third volume in the trilogy less enthralling than the first two, and the ending not satisfying at all.  Perhaps I would have felt differently if I had read the last volume sooner when the series still had a magical glow and I had momentum (the magic of BL says that I read Leviathan  in December 2012 and Behemoth in February 2013, even longer ago than I had thought).

Goliath (543 pages) finished May 27th brings my bank balance to $43

review 2017-05-29 00:46
Finished: The Perfect Poison!
The Perfect Poison - Amanda Quick

I really did enjoy this book, and it's probably the first historical in Jayne Ann Krentz's Arcane Society that I actually, really liked.  For whatever reason, I'm not certain.  The characters were great, and the romance wasn't entirely formulaic Amanda Quick.

I will post a more thought-out review later.

But first, as it is still Memorial Day Weekend, I wanted to take the pages in this book and donate them to the BL-opoly Prison Library.

My understanding of the way this is working, is that we can donate between 1 & 100 pages to the library, which I took to mean ONLY up to 100 pages.  If that isn't correct please let me know.  Depending on how this is done, I will either be donating 100 pages only, or donating 364 pages to the library.

review 2017-05-28 20:09
Divided City
Divided City - Theresa Breslin

The kind of street his parents had warned him never to be in. The kind of street where your footsteps echoed loud, too loud – because there was no one else about. From either side the dark openings of the tenement building mawed at him. It was the beginning of May and fairly light at this time in the evening. But even so . . . Graham glanced around. The sky was densely overcast and shadows were gathering. He shouldn’t have lingered so long after football training.

I'm sure this book has salient points to deliver about football, hooliganism, hatred of the unknown - whether it be religion, culture, or anything else -, the background of the Orange Order, and I'm sure that this would make an interesting read for a football fan in their early teens. At least, I guess there may be a way to connect to the football aspect of it - even if the footie talk is mostly limited to the two Glaswegian teams in the early 2000s.

I'm glad I read this, but I am feeling rather "meh" about it. At least, I can now delete it from my kindle (not that I know how it got there in the first place...).