logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: bookmarks
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-05-28 11:25
Review Overdue Series– Whimsy Moon Bookmarks, Online Book Outlet Giveaways, Paperback Emporium, & Desi Writer Lounge’s Literary Open Mic Night

Whimsy Moon

Who doesn’t like a touch of whimsy in their lives? Click on the link and look at the designs on their page and you will end up ordering something or the other. The designs are quirky and just plain, whimsical. They delivered on time and the product arrived in perfect condition. I found the price a tad high but I abso-loved the bookmark. The quote on the bookmark is from the Malazan series. If you haven’t read any of it, then there’s something wrong with you!

Online Books Outlet Giveaway

I came across this post on the page and was the first one to share it. Five minutes later and the bookstore PM’d me, asking me for my address. I had the book within several days of that message. I had recently gifted my own copy to a friend and I won this one in the giveaway. How awesome is that! Here’s a look at the booty won:

10.jpg

Paperback Emporium

8.PNG

When I need a book delivered that I can’t find anywhere, these are the guys I go to. They are extremely responsive on Facebook and always deliver. If they don’t have the book, then they will have it imported for you, like the one pictured above. I found about them via Instagram when I saw these lovelies featured on their feed:

9.PNG

As you can see, I was already drooling and promptly ordered both books, impatiently waiting for them to arrive. Oh, they arrived!

As it stands now, I am slowly buying the remaining books from them in this series so as not to break the bank. Give PE a chance; they won’t disappoint!

Desi Writer’s Lounge Literary Open Mic Night

DWL is always active and always doing something to promote reading and writing in different areas of Pakistan! Since I’d love it if they had more events in my city (Karachi), when I saw the post for Open Mic, I knew I wasn’t going to miss it.

A simple registration process through email later and I had signed up as one of the people who would be sharing their work at the event. I was to pay Rs. 350 at the venue. Besides that, they had only one other rule: the work shared must be original. Mine was.

I read something that I had written for Wringo Ink. You can find it here.

The recital was well received because I was reading in a supportive environment. Whether it was poetry or prose and in English or Urdu, that was being shared, everybody was appreciative.

We were seated comfortably and munched on delicious bun-kebabs provided by Sattar Bakhsh while sipping Pepsi. In short, a good was had by all! DWL has promised to share videos and pictures of the event here, so be on the lookout.

review 2015-01-30 16:55
Forgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages - Michael Popek
Modern Family: Wit and Wisdom from America's Favorite Family - Writers of Modern Family

Books to check out when you want a book but your brain needs a break....

Check out Denise D. Cooper's channel:

To purchase Modern Family book:

To purchase Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek:

Intro song clip is from "Breathe" by Sean Paul & Blu Cantrell

review 2014-03-12 01:21
Review: Captivate (Submerged Sun #1) by Vanessa Garden
Captivate - Vanessa Garden

Thanks to Harlequin Australia for sending me a copy for review

Captivating; the one word that perfectly describes this book from start to finish.

4.5....

I absolutely fell in love with this book. Everything picks up straight away and we get thrown into life in Marin. Garden creates a stunning underwater world.

We first learn about Miranda and her life in Aus. I can instantly imagine her grandparents shack as well as the surrounds. Miranda is such an easy to like character, and we instantly connect with her. We get thrown into a whirlwind of emotion when she gets taken, we are as angry and confused as she is when she wakes up. Our feelings already in-sync with hers, even though we are just a few chapters into the novel! And no matter how much we want Miranda to get home, we too, are falling in love with Marin and everything in it! When we see Marin for the first time, I was awe-struck. This was nothing that I was expecting. I was thinking that the people of Marin were some paranormal kind of creature, but nope, think again, and prepare to be amazed at what the reality is!

This isn’t like other books where we only agree with some of what the main character is doing or saying. Even with her jealousy of her sister, Lauren, I instantly relate to Miranda about not being noticed compared to her sister. It is so easy to relate to this feeling, because it could be towards anyone, friend or sibling, so we know exactly how Miranda feels.

I honestly didn’t predict anything in this book, EXCEPT THAT SILVIA IS EVIL!! (ok, this isn’t even confirmed yet. *anxiously waiting for next book*), it kept me on my toes and the middle-ending of the book kept me on the edge of my seat!

Even though there is no actual love triangle in this book, I am horrified to say that I kind of made it one. I LOVE ROBBIE!! There, I said it. From the start, I was cheering for him. But! Just as Miranda starts to fall for Marko, I do too!! I can’t believe this is happening, because I want Miranda & Robbie! I got so frustrated because of my conflicting emotions, even though nothing was happening between Miranda & Robbie, I wish it did. At the end, I start questioning my feelings. Marko is amazing too! I don’t know what is happening to me, you all know how much I hate love triangles! Somebody virtually slap me.

There are some secrets that Miranda hides from her sister, and this keeps us on edge, because we get so close to finding out through the book, but then, when we find it all out in the end and it’s a little of a disappointment. All the build up to this and it’s not even a dramatic thing. I don’t go ‘oh!!’, or even become shocked from it. But the ending is all about sisterhood, and it makes us feel like we want a connection like that to our own siblings. This is the only reason why I haven’t rated this book a 5!

When I said before that this book is captivating, I was not joking around. Once you finish this book, you sit back, sigh, and go WOW! Not really ‘wow’, as in explosive, but in an ‘I can’t believe all that just happened’ kind of way. It is only when you finish this book that, I think this really sinks in. You don’t realize the potential of the next book until that last chapter. It completely sets the next book in the series, and I can’t wait!!

Source: behindamillionandonepages.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/review-captivate-by-vanessa-garden-draft.html
show activity (+)
review 2014-03-07 02:56
Review: Ignite Me (Juliette Chronicles #3) by Tahereh Mafi
Ignite Me - Tahereh Mafi

See the original review and print the bookmarks on my blog!

Thanks to Allen & Unwin Australia for sending me a copy for review

Magnificent. The perfect ending to such a wonderful trilogy.

Seeing as this is the last book in the trilogy, you may expect a vague review on what actually happens in the book, and more focus on characters and wishes.

I absolutely loved this book. From start to finish it was amazing. Juliette is such a strong character now, and it seems that she has finally found herself, finally opened up to her true feelings and understand what she has to do.

You know that the author is an amazing writer, when you know how much I hate love triangles, and don't even realize that you're changing teams until the very last book!! It feels like everything I know and read about love triangles have been blasted out the window!

From the beginning, I was team Adam. But now, now I have changed, I have fallen for Warner. Adam and Juliette are two different people now, and even though I liked their ship in the first book, it just doesn't compare to Warner in this last book. We see him for who he truly is, and I can't believe that I even doubted that they would be together in the first and second books. Everything makes sense now, and these two are perfect for each other. They are strong, they understand one another on a deeper level than just personality, and they constantly surprise us and blow our minds away.

If you read this trilogy all together, I think that you will enjoy it all even more. Reading the first book, even though it's a bit overboard with the strikeouts, you will be able to clearly see how Juliette develops getting back into the real world throughout the trilogy. Not only with her sanity, but with her powers too, and all the other characters we have fallen in love with along the way. I loved seeing everyone again in this book. I loved how Juliette takes the stand and finally takes charge of herself.

There are so many things that happen in this book, and it's one of those circumstances where you think of how much of the story still needs to happen, and you look at how many pages you have left and wonder how it will all fit. Then start to worry that it might be rushed etc! It was kind of in the middle. It didn't feel rushed, but it kind of seemed too easy in the end, and I wish there was something more with Amderson and what he was saying. There were a few things that I wished I could see more of, like Adam and Warner in one scene of the book towards the end (not telling!!) . OK, I admit that I got a little annoyed at Juliette being confused about her feelings, and how it took one little thing to make her realize the truth and come to terms with everything.

Other than that, this book was amazing, and a brilliant conclusion to the trilogy! I kind of wish there was a epilogue for a glimpse to the future, but that's just me and the book doesn't really need it, it's beautiful the way it is! This is a definite read if you haven't already!!

Source: behindamillionandonepages.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/double-review-unravel-me-and-ignite-me.html
review 2014-03-07 02:55
Review: Unravel Me (Juliette Chronicles #2) by Tahereh Mafi
Unravel Me - Tahereh Mafi

See the original review and print the bookmarks on my blog!

Thanks to Allen & Unwin Australia for sending me a copy for review

Dramatic, addictive. There is nothing that this second book lacks, it's got it all

After the events of Shatter Me, we are left craving for more. Even though, this book (and Shatter Me) were not left on any major sort of cliffhanger, we still have this invisible pull to read the next book.

This book was a little slow at the start, but that didn't really stop me from tearing this book apart (speed wise lol). We still get the whole X-Men vibe from this book, as we were starting to see in the end of Shatter Me, but it this hasn't made the book worse or anything, it's made it better and I felt like this was some awesome kind of retelling!

I love how much we can see Juliette grow, especially just coming out of Shatter Me. We see a whole lot less of the strike throughs are more of her adapting to life outside of prison, and rebuilding her self esteem and her sanity. I love Adam and Juliette in this book, YAY TEAM ADAM!

Oh Kenji. How you have brightened this series up! And to think it couldn't get any better. If he wasn't in this book, I'm pretty sure the book would be kind of dull. In the bits where nothing really is happening, Kenji completely takes over and continually pulls us through when usually, we would feel like the book is going slow and it's just fluff.

Even though I am on Team Adam, I'm happy that Juliette kind-of-yeah-maybe broke up with Adam. I'm happy because she needs to find herself without someone else (even someone as awesome as Adam) there to help her along. After nearly a year kept in isolation, even though she doesn't really need any me-time, she definitely needs to sort out her issues, and start being independent and fully fitting back into her shoes (metaphorically speaking).

When you hit the end of the book, you honestly don't know what to do. It's not left in a cliffhanger, but like I said before, it leaves you craving for the last book! The end is full of surprises that leave you shocked and you don't know what to do with yourself after one particular scene! This scene will tear you apart yet full of action!