logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-17 18:06
A Mystery of Errors / Simon Hawke
A Mystery of Errors - Simon Hawke

Two travelers, Will Shakespeare-a fledgling dramatist, and Symington Smythe, an ostler and aspiring thespian, meet at a roadside inn and decide to cast their lot together for fame and fortune in the cutthroat world of the London theater in Elizabethan England . . . but neither was prepared for their offstage encounter with A Mystery of Errors. When a backer's daughter is double-crossed by a would-be suitor, the reluctant bride turns to the ostler and the playwright for help.  Little does anyone realize that these simple affairs of the heart and an arranged marriage will lead to a vast web of conspiracy, mistaken identity, and murder that finds the playwright targeted for assassination and the ostler hopelessly in love.

This novel suffered from comparison with recently read historical fiction by C.C. Humphreys, whose work stands head-and-shoulders above this little mystery. The writing of just the first page had me wondering if I would even bother to finish the book. After all, life is finite and there are tons of good books out there.

I did persevere, however, and followed the story to its rather pedestrian end. The plot was imaginative and I wish the author had been able to exercise more skill in its execution. Rather than flowing, events bumped along rather brusquely. The dialog was simple and the characterization was basic. Every now and then, there would be a tiny info-dump as the author proved that he had done his research.

If you are considering this book, I would suggest that you approach with caution. If you are looking for a book featuring Shakespeare as a character (as I was), I would recommend Shakespeare's Rebel. If something involving a highwayman is your goal, try Plague. If you are looking for a 21st century humourous take on Shakespeare, pick up Shakespeare Undead, which is lighthearted yet effortlessly shows how to reference the Bard’s works without belabouring the point.

At some point, I will probably solider on and read the second mystery in this series, as I have made a bit of a project out of reading all the novels I can find that feature Shakespeare as a character. You are not obliged to follow me in this obsession.

review 2017-08-17 14:51
Beat (The Beat and the Pulse #1) by Amity Cross
Beat: #1 The Beat and The Pulse - Amity Cross

Author: Amity Cross

Title: Beat

Series: The Beat and the Pulse

Buy This Book:

Renee "Ren" Miller was five when her Dad left to go to the shops and never came back.

Left to grow up with a cancer riddled mother, things have never been easy for a teenager who had to be wise beyond her years. Then one day they lose the battle and she’s all alone.

Now twenty-two, Ren reluctantly goes to find her estranged father. He owns the down and out boxing studio, Beat, and Ren finds herself drawn to the ring. She thrives on learning a new way of fighting a life that kept kicking her down…instead of struggling against the current, she kicks it right between the legs.

Then one day, Ash Fuller, her Dad's star fighter comes back to town. Mysterious, handsome… Dangerous… Everything Ren doesn't need.

But he's got other ideas…

…and so does she.

Beat had some good parts and... it had some other parts... Most of it was drama involved other was the whole broody vs angsty vibe. I'm not sure which kind of got on my nerves more. After awhile I kind of felt like okay, I get it.

Along with the sweaty panty sexual not so sexual attraction obsession which leads to some hot not so hot encounters and a questionable scene which didn't quite sit well with me. There was a lot of wish wash non investment with the h/h and after awhile I didn't really care if they overcame their issues which - cliffhanger - ugh, never really is answered.

Beat was okay I just don't think I was really in the mood for it.

Side note: As of 8/17/17 this title is listed for Free so get your copy while you can if you'd like to read it for yourself.

Until next time book lovers...

Krissys Bookshelf Reviews purchased a digital copy for personal collection.

All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

If any of Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews has been helpful please stop by to like my post or leave a comment to let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

review 2017-08-17 14:14
Stampede of Love (Long Valley #2.5) by Erin Wright

Author: Erin Wright

TitleStampede of Love

Series: Long Valley

Eight seconds...
That’s all Rex Kingsley wants. Eight seconds on the back of Bodacious, the most feared bull in the PBR. Two years ago, the massive bull threw him and stomped him into the sands of the Tulsa Rodeo in front of ten thousand spectators. Rex survived. Barely. Now his single goal is to conquer the bull touted as “unbeatable.”  No bull rider has lasted eight seconds on Bodacious’ back for over five years. Rex aims to break that streak, and his lofty ambition leaves no room in his life for a woman.

Until Kimber...
Kimber Adams just wants to celebrate her birthday with friends. A few drinks. Maybe a spin on the dance floor. But when she falls into Rex’s arms, literally, her plans change. She and Rex share a night of passion but the handsome cowboy wants more. Kimber’s no stranger to the perils of bull riding, though. She makes it clear that Rex needs to choose between eight seconds on Bodacious or a lifetime with her.

I'd just like to take a minute to rub this novella in the faces of all the readers out there who don't follow author web pages and newsletters.

Heh, okay I had my fun.. Seriously though, if you're a fan of Erin Wright or if you haven't read her books before you still have a chance to get a copy of Stampede of Love as well.Just sign up to follow her newsletter and your copy will be emailed to you.

Don't forget just because its a free book doesn't mean that it doesn't need love like the rest.

That being said Stampede of Love is one of those kismet love stories. No matter what goes on the h/h are drawn together by fate no matter what their intentions are. Its rather cute and fun its a quickie but that doesn't mean that Kimber and Rex can't have a HEA. I rather liked Rex as a character he was irritating but he was seductive and despite a few flaws he's one of those guys you can't say no to even if you want to.

Until next time book lovers...

Krissys Bookshelf Reviews received a digital copy from the author.

review 2017-08-17 13:47
Darkest Hour (DARC Ops 0.5) by Jamie Garrett

AuthorJamie Garrett

Title: Darkest Hour

Series: DARC Ops

Buy This Book:

He was a Navy SEAL, a damn good one. It was all he knew how to be, until the fateful day that changed everything.

Jackson Archer’s life, and the lives of the men under his command, was changed forever that day in Tripoli. Medically discharged from the SEALs and silenced by a corrupt mission commander, he sinks into a deep depression.

Until reporter Annica Lawson starts asking questions.

She seems to know all about what happened that day—to him, Tansy, Jasper, and Matthias. Things Jackson’s never told anyone outside of his command. The sexy reporter awakens things in Jackson, things he thought were maybe dead for good.

Annica offers them a chance to tell their story, to clear their names. But is she really after the truth, or is she working for those who want to silence them for good?

Broken hero JA is damaged goods, has a story to tell, and a confession to make. Of course it has to take the right girl to drag it out of him before he'd ever risk anything including the lives of his men by exposing their past deeds. Luckily there's someone to bat their lashes at him. JA crumbles instantly. Thank god he's not a prisoner of war or he'd be in deep shit including the men under his command. But its a sloppy wet kiss romance kind of thing and as they say the truth will out - even if its by the nosy reporter who will do anything to uncover it.

Until next time book lovers...

Krissys Bookshelf Reviews received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review from the author.

review 2017-08-17 11:28
DNF: Defy the Stars
Defy the Stars - Claudia Gray

I received a copy from Netgalley.

Another one I was really looking forward to but after about 100 pages turns out I just don't like it. I'm not interested in the plot, there seems to be a bit of a religious theme at the beginning which I really didn't care for at all. I'm not connecting to the characters, and after not being overly thrilled at having to read more, I called it quits. Just not for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bonnier Zaffre for approving my request to view the title.