logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-24 11:14
Tales of the Peculiar
Tales of the Peculiar - Andrew Davidson,Ransom Riggs

In much the same spirit as J.K. Rowlings The Tales of Beedle the Bard, this is meant to be a companion book of the fairy tales that peculiars learned as part of their peculiar folklore in the series Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The book is structured as authentically as possible, from the copyright page to the annotations by the editor/author/compiler of the stories, Millard Nullings, a name that might be familiar to the fans of Miss Peregrine's.

The stories themselves really are morality tales and suitable for non-peculiar children too, no matter what Nullings claims (although i didn't try to read the third one backwards, out loud, so I can't speak as to the authenticity of his dire warnings).  Some of them work better than others, just like most collections of stories, but most of them were good and a couple were great.  A few petered out before they could get started.

My favourites were probably The Splendid Cannibals and the Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares.

The book is beautifully illustrated and it's definitely something I'd read to my nieces when they get a little bit older.

Page count: 160
Dollars banked: $3.00

review 2017-04-24 03:41
Really??
Evonnia & the Maiden - Keira Michelle Telford

I'm not sure what Miss Tellford is doing lately but I'm not really enjoying these shorts of hers. The overall plots draw me in but when I begin reading them I'm left feeling like the attempt was very poor and the dynamic was executed poorly. This was supposed to be a steamy one-shot, but it was anything but that. The sexual dialogue and description were very childish and silly even. It was so outlandish it was like 'Oh come already!'. Some people might enjoy that angle, but I am not one of them.

review 2017-04-23 23:00
Gods Easter Miracles
God's Easter Miracles: Adventures Of The Sea Kids - Lee Ann Mancini

This was nice and fresh read. It was also a good learning book for young readers. It shows the important. What a lesson you can learn from the sea creatures. Something happens to one of their friend's little brother, will the little brother survive? I know it teaches about friendship and some Christian values.

Will it be that they get a miracle? You will need to read the book for it. The lesson in the book is best for though to learn about what Jesus did for as all. The sea kids have a special Easter hunt. What happens to all and if one shares his egg with another. What does that person do to do with that egg and show something that is sweet?

The author does a wonderful job of doing the lessons. I hope that your readers and parents can use this as a good way to input the story in focus. The pictures are down wonderfully. The pictures can tell the story. I can not state as to what all that happens for it would spoil the story and lesson learned. I love that it show the meaning of love and what Easter is all about.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2017/04/gods-easter-miracles-adventures-of-sea.html
review 2017-04-23 22:20

Publisher: Doubleday

Publication Date: 4/25/2017

Format: Hardcover

My Rating: 3 Stars

From the author of The Night Sister and The Winter People comes — BURNTOWN. Where do you even begin trying to describe a book like this? It is one of a kind.

From eccentric, colorful, to quirky, and wacky . . . a cast of misfits. Mix in a crime, a murder, a family’s past, a stolen invention, mystery, suspense, and crossing heavily into the mystical, supernatural and paranormal world.

Jennifer McMahon takes readers on a wild, crazy ride with BURNTOWN —meeting every character and scene imaginable. My head is still spinning.

As the book starts out it grabbed me immediately. A great set up. However, shortly thereafter when all the crazy things begin, I knew this book was not for me; however, continued to read to discover how it would unfold. However, I found myself skipping over many parts.

The book is broken into parts: Before: Miles. Then After, alternating between Necco, Theo, Pru, and Fred. Then one year later with Necco.

Set in Braxton, Vermont, It is 1975 and Miles Sandeski a ten- year- old boy who has a creative mind and love to play Robin Hood is spying on his mom, Elizabeth Sandeski outdoors while she is in their backyard.

She seems to be more adventurous, and mysterious; dancing with her brass elephant charm bracelet. She is beautiful. Miles thinks of her as a Goddesses, like Aphrodite. She looks like a movie star. He does not like for her to smoke since it is bad for her, so he played a little trick with her cigarettes.

However, as she is smoking, lying in the sun. The unexpected happens. Some person comes from the shadows, in a circus mask like a rubber chicken from nowhere. He comes up behind her and draws a blade across her throat. Miles is stunned and has no clue what is happening.

Miles uses his bow and arrow and hits him. Then all of a sudden he is afraid the man will come after him. Until his experiment pops and scares the man off.

Soon the town is rattled by a murder- suicide. After Elizabeth was slain in the backyard of the family home, with Miles as witness, he goes to the neighbor and police was called. But the bloodstained clothing, a rubber chicken mask, and a kitchen knife were found in the trunk of the family car. An arrest was made for Mr. Sandeski.

Martin Sandeski ran an appliance and repair service company and was in a jazz band, Three Bags Full. Miles knew it was not his father who was the chicken man. His father is the man he loved and taught him so much. Appears Martin had told several of his friends, he believed his wife was having an affair. Shortly thereafter, Martin took his own life, hours after his arrest. He hung himself while in police custody.

They did not find the killer, and Miles goes and lives with his aunt. However, his dad left him a letter explaining where to find the plans he has hidden. As a boy, he spoke of these plans from Thomas Edison.

He was not to share this with his Aunt Holly or anyone. He was passing down some special plans. His grandfather worked for Thomas Edison at his factory and plans were stolen. He told them where they were hidden. His dad left him instructions and plans to hold on to them and one day the Edison machine would change their lives, and possibly the entire world. A way to communicate with the dead?

Then he meets Lily. Her mother had died and her dad drank. Her brother Lloyd became close to Miles. She tells Miles she is gifted as well as her brother. She can see things.

Later they marry and have two a daughter— Eva. Soon this boy, Errol joins the family. Miles continues to carry this little charm elephant from his mom. Who had given it to her? Also, what had the killer whispered to her that last day that had made her smile?

He knows she should let it go, but he can’t. He needs to find the man who killed his mother. What if the dead could speak? What if he built the machine and it actually worked? He could find the answers. Miles became a professor. He was successful and talented.

Then there is the word of flood warnings. The chicken mask. The Chicken Man is dead because he killed him, didn't he? He decides to destroy everything in the workshop, even the machine. He had the plans to rebuild somewhere safe. From here we go to After. From here on out, the book completely changes.

Necco (Eva) has changed her name. Miles and Errol, dead from the flood. Lily and Eva (now Necco) are living as vagrants. From homeless to a camp with a group of women. Not the typical sleepy New England college town for the dark residents who live among the remains of its abandoned mills and factories, it’s known as “Burntown.”

After the mother dies, Necco is running and being chased by an evil man called “Snake Eyes or Chicken Man”. He goes by many names. A bad man is looking for them, her mom says. A walking shadow, a black hole man. He has such power, he can do things, like fly. He can spy on you in our dreams. The Kind of Liars.

He was the one responsible for the Great Flood and all the terrible things. Even responsible for what happened to their grandparents, and Miles and Errol. He meant to drown them too. He is ever vigilant. He is sneaky. He can change his appearance from a businessman to a biker.

Was her mother trying to blame a mythical monster for all the bad things that had happened to them?

Necco has no memories of the flood. The very event that caused them to live on the streets. Under the bridge where the women did the snuff, saw visions, ate fire. Burntown. All this had broken her mother. The world was changing she said. One day he would find them. Her visions.

“ . . . the truth isn’t something you want to look in the face. Sometimes you’re better off not knowing.”

A girl fleeing a drug dealer, a fat woman, the circus, elephant, the strongman, birds, a doll, a ghost from her past, plus much more. . .

“The things that scare us the most, the things we think might hurt us . . . they’re the things that make us whole.”

The author mentions she worked years ago at a homeless shelter in Portland, Oregon and assume this is where she received her inspiration for the different stereotypes of homelessness and their stories.

Was disappointed Cassandra Campbell (my favorite narrator), was not narrating Burntown, as in McMahon past audiobooks. (Abby Craden) for this one. However, not sure I would be up to re-read (listen) to this one again anyway.

I am not a fan of supernatural, or paranormal. I do not mind a little magical realism sprinkled with some mystery and suspense; however, this was more than a little and "over the top." For those who enjoy this sort of thing may find entertaining. Not to say McMahon is not a skilled and talented writer. This one was just not for me.

A special thank you to Doubleday and NetGalley for an early reading copy.

JDCMustReadBooks

Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2017/01/01/Burntown
review 2017-04-23 21:30
March: Book Three by John Lewis
March: Book Three - Andrew Aydin,Nate Powell,John Lewis Gaddis

And with this, I've completed the trilogy. I am so happy I read this. It helped educate me on the finer details that helped bring about the Civil Rights Movement. In this volume, we follow John Lewis from the streets of Atlanta, Georgia to the entire continent of Africa and back to the streets of Selma, Alabama. This volume covers the events of Bloody Sunday, the 1965 Voters' Rights Act, and so much more.

John Lewis has a way of telling these important events in a conversational tone. And sometimes it sounds as if we're getting to sit in an academic setting and hearing his lecture of his time on the battleground. For that's what it was: a battleground. So many people mercilessly killed because they just wanted the same rights as white people. It's horrific and wrong. And although this is a very difficult read, it is also an important one.

The artwork is gritty. It's a lovely style, but it does not sugarcoat what went on during those times. And I am grateful that it doesn't. People need to see the blood, the violence, the deaths. They need to be reminded that these events happened and they could easily happen again if we are not careful. We need to be vigilant and help each other as much as we can. Because that's what it means to be human. I've learned so much about these events and I shall continue to educate myself and fighting for the rights of others.

Please read all three volumes of March. Especially if you don't know much about what America was like during the 60's. Lewis packs in a lot of information, yes, but it's vital to know who played a role in our history and how we got to where we are today. These are not easy reads, but I think the knowledge and experience you gain from reading these books are well worth it. I love these books and I will definitely be adding them to my personal library.