logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: bullet-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-09-21 21:56
Sure it's flawed - but I loved it anyway!
The Astronaut Wives Club - Lily Koppel

I LOVED THIS SO BAD!

What I hated: how short it was and how much it skipped over. I realize that this is probably from interviews done many years after the events, but I felt many missions (such as the infamous Apollo 13) were glosses over.

What I loved: everything else! It's all about these incredible diverse women trying to pretend to be the perfect 50's housewife under the scrutiny of the media. Real Housewives? Eat your heart out! Oh, yeah, and these women DONT have to women-hate each other either.

I particularly loved the end where the women, split up from their men, come together for community with these other women. Truly, the space race would have gone NOWHERE without women like Louise, Annie, Rene and Betty (I HEART BETTY!!).

(I don't typically address other reviews but this one has quite a few 1- and 2- stars that I feel I must. 1) I do get that the writing style is weird. I found it weird too - talking about one thing then suddenly saying that "Sputnik" means "Traveler". Weird. But honestly, I got so absorbed, it fled into the background. 2) No citations. This likewise bugs me - but the author hints that she may have done interviews which is why you don't see a bibliography. These women's stories have been shut up for years; I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first and only book about them.)

review 2015-09-21 21:55
Even the narrator couldn't give a f@#$ about this book
Alpha - Catherine Asaro

Bullet Review:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I'm done. Don't care about 8000 year old Thomas and his family woes. Don't care about Alpha. Just don't care. Also, didn't realize this was a second book.

Life is just too short for me to spend it on books like this; maybe I'll try it again. Narrator is not very impressive; sounds bored TO DEATH (this probably didn't help).

And fanboys/girls, before you shrill at me for my review, let's all remember: It is MY OPINION. You are more than entitled to love this and make many beautiful babies with it. I willingly admit that this is a "it's not you, it's me" book. Doesn't mean that I'll change my feelings or rating however.

review 2015-08-03 16:58
Not for the faint of heart
Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 2: Stormbringer - Julien Blondel

Bullet Review:

Sick. Twisted. Graphic. Violent. Bloody.

And way too short for the hard cover price.

I enjoyed this about as much as the first one. I wouldn't be opposed to continuing the series - the art is nice, and the story/characters are interesting enough. But I sure as hell won't be buying any of these - they are just too expensive and too short!

review 2015-08-03 16:57
This was written by Rucka? Really?
Veil - Greg Rucka,Toni Fejzula

Bullet Review:

Rucka Fan-Girl here. This was probably one of the most disappointing Rucka reads, just because I felt like I've read this story or seen a form of this story at least 67 times before.

Amnesiac Girl? Check.

Appears nude in a subway? Check.

Supernatural powers? Check.

Woman has to avoid being raped/sexually assaulted multiple times? Double check!

It's not inherently bad, per se, and I do like Rucka's pro-woman message (I feel that Veil is a more pro-active, empowered woman than most females in her shoes would be), but this is not of the caliber I've come to expect of Rucka. I doubt I'll pursue the rest of these - unless my coworker decides to lend them.

review 2015-08-03 16:56
Moving past the origin story and setting Kamala free
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why - Jacob Wyatt,G. Willow Wilson,Adrian Alphona

Bullet Review:

Sooooooo much fun. Now that origin story is out of the way, we can have these fun stories of her own - such as teaming up with Wolverine! (My fav storyline - and I'm not even a Wolverine fan girl!)