logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: children-s-book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-11-25 16:31
Could Use More Story
Sock Monkey: A Children's Book - Tony Millionaire

A little girl's Granny makes her a sock monkey for her birthday. At first her other dolls are afraid of it but eventually they become good friends.

Tony Millionaire has a remarkable art style. He has captured the look of an early 20th century newspaper strip. I can easily imagine Sock Monkey appearing beside Little Nemo and Flash Gordon, back when the Funny Pages were filled with beautiful art. Here he attempts to take his unique style, which has mostly appeared in graphic novels and some TV cartoons, and uses it to illustrate a children's book. It is only a mixed success. The story sort of meanders around and then just stops. I wish he had worked with another writer to create a more focused story to go with his beautiful illustrations.

review 2019-09-20 21:18
QUANTUM PHYSICS FOR BABIES by Chris Ferrie
Quantum Physics for Babies: 1 - Chris Ferrie

Simple.  Easy to remember.  I think I now understand quantum physics (LOL).  Greatest ending ever.

review 2019-09-20 20:37
ROOM ON THE BROOM by Julia Donaldson
Room on the Broom - Axel Scheffler,Julia Donaldson

Cute story of a witch on her broom with a lot of hitchhikers.  The rhyming poem is wonderful.  It was longer than I expected of a board book but adorable.

review 2019-09-06 03:48
WE DON'T EAT OUR CLASSMATES by Ryan T. Higgins
We Don't Eat Our Classmates - Ryan T. Higgins,Ryan T. Higgins
Penelope Rex starts school and the other children are delicious so she eats them.  She then finds out that scares them.  She finally gets a sample of how the other children feel when she eats them.  And she learns the lesson well.

I love Ryan T. Higgins' books.  He is one of my favorite children's authors.  Penelope is fun.  The illustrations are great.  The story is cute.  Adorable!
review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-08-25 03:17

Year Read:  2009

Publisher:
Houghton Mifflin Company

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 6+  (Bullying)

Bruce

“Big Bad Bruce” is another classic tale by Bill Peet and it is about how Bruce the Bear tortures small creatures and he eventually gets what he deserves when Roxy the witch shrinks him down to the size of a chipmunk.  The lesson of this story may have not been taught right, but this book is still a treat for children to read.

Bill Peet does an excellent job at illustrating and writing the story “Big Bad Bruce.”  First, I like to talk about Bill Peet’s illustrations as they are beautiful and colorful when he illustrates Bruce to seem more like a scruffy and mischievous bear rather than a scary and vicious bear.  The image that I really enjoyed was the image of Bruce standing up on his hind legs looking for some mischief to do as he has a mischievous grin on his face.  Second, I like to talk about Bill Peet’s writing as he effectively uses a fantasy element (witchcraft) to make Bruce see everything from a chipmunk’s point of view and learns about how the other animals felt when he picked on them.  Roxy was probably the most interesting character in this story as she was the only one who was able to stand up to Bruce when he was big and I love how she creatively teaches Bruce a lesson about bullying by shrinking him down to the size of a chipmunk.

Bruce

“Big Bad Bruce” is an interesting story about the consequences of teasing other people, but parents may want to avert their children about the real lesson being taught her, instead of doing what Bruce has done at the end of the book.  I would recommend this book to children ages six and up due to some advanced vocabulary in this book and the fact that Bruce had not really learned his lesson.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog