logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: children-s-ya-literature
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-27 04:17
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation (First Time Books(R)) - Stan Berenstain,Jan Berenstain

What was supposed to be the best vacation ever began going downhill quickly when they realized that their mountain cabin was a crumbling old shack in the woods. There were weeds growing inside the "cabin" and the rowboat was half sunk in the muddiest lake that you have ever seen. Things went from bad to worse. But they did not forget to take pictures with their camera and a few days later, when they had the film developed, they passed the pictures around and laughed so hard they almost cried. Every so often they look at those pictures and have an absolutely wonderful time enjoying the worst vacation that they ever had. One good activity would be to have students write about their worst vacation, or break from school, that they experienced. Ask them if they can laugh about it now.

Lexile Measure: AD700L

review 2018-02-27 04:00
Clifford's Manners
Clifford's Manners (Clifford 8x8) - Norman Bridwell

This story is about how well behaved Clifford is and how he is so loved because of it. This book tells about many, many good manners. One thing that I like about this book is how out in the margins of the pages it list the manner that is also in the story on that page. This is a great book for younger students. You could read this at the beginning of the year and have a class discussion about the types of manners and behaviors you expected.

Guided Reading Level: M

review 2018-02-27 03:49
Scaredy Squirrel
Scaredy Squirrel - Mélanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel lives in his tree and follows a very strict schedule. He is scared of everything. One day he finds himself out of his tree and in the unknown. He learns that everything isn't so scary and it can be exciting to try new things. This would be a good beginning of the year book for younger students. You could teach them to branch out and meet new people. One activity would be to have the students add a page to the book about something that they were afraid of.

Lexile Measure: AD560L

review 2018-02-27 03:20
Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes - Eric Litwin,James Dean

This is a great story about how Pete the Cat goes to school and does everything in his school shoes. One thing that I really like about this book is that it tries to get you to guess where Pete the Cat is going next. It gives you hints and clues before telling you what Pete the Cat is doing in his school shoes. I would use this book in my classroom to teach the students about making inferences. We could also spark their creativity by getting them to add a verse of their own to the story.

Lexile Measure: AD430L

review 2018-02-27 02:57
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons - Eric Litwin,James Dean

This story is about Pete the Cat loses the buttons of his shirt. He doesn't cry though because buttons come and buttons go. I like how the number of buttons left on the shirt are spelled out, written as a numeral, and represented as a basic equation. This would be good in the classroom to practice writing equations from word problems.

Lexile Measure: AD350L