Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: classics
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-20 08:36
Short Stories of the Normal In An Extraordinary Way.
The Lottery and Other Stories - Shirley Jackson

Before, I did mention I enjoyed reading short stories. There aren't many books with short stories today and for a long time, I heard about The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, which is one of the reasons why I had been looking high and low for this collection. There are 24 short stories altogether and to my amazement, I really enjoyed reading all of them.

The Lottery and Other Stories is divided into 5 parts and to its own theme. Here's a short summary for each of these stories:-

The Intoxicated - When a drunk meets the daughter of the host of the party. The Daemon Lover - A girl looking for her future husband on her wedding day. Like Mother Used to Make - A man cooks dinner for his guest only to be thrown out of his house. Trial By Combat - A woman's apartment been robbed by another tenant. The Villager - A woman pretend to be a buyer of things. My Life With R.H. Macy - A man works in Macys. The Witch - A man tells a story of a scary witch to a child in gruesome details. The Renegade - When an owner's dog kills a farmers chicken. After You, My Dear Alphonse - A game played between two children. Charles - A boy shares his school days with his parents about a naughty student. Afternoon in Linen - A grandmother proud of his grand daughter of a poem she wrote. Flower Garden - A wife who fell in love with a cottage meets the new owner that the neighbors do not want to be friends with. Dorothy and My Grandmother and The Sailors- A trip to a town only to avoid sailors. Colloquy - A patient shares her problems with a doctor. Elizabeth - A day of a literary agent. A Fine Old Firm - A meeting of new neighbors. The Dummy - One night show of a ventriloquist. Seven Types of Ambiguity - A couple going into a bookstore to buy books. Come Dance With Me In Ireland - When three women shown kindness to an Irish old man. Of Course - Greeting a new neighbor. Pillars of Salt An experience trip to New York to remember by a couple. Men With Their Big Shoes - When an expected married wife gets a different view about husbands from a caretaker. The Tooth - When a married woman goes on a trip to New York to extract a tooth with devastating change. The Lottery - A lottery that is held with unexpected results.

There is a small poem as a companion to The Daemon Loverwhich can be read at the end of the book. This is my first time reading a Shirley Jackson book without any expectations. I never thought I would be amazed by her writing, let alone magnetize by her way of story telling. There is some thing about her writings that really makes an interesting read. These stories, some doesn't have an ending. Its like a pick out of the blue chapter from some where. Its plot isn't interesting but by way of reading, its something else. I followed to each of their own and to each of them, they are all good (for me any way). Usually I won't enjoy a short story if it lingers in the end but this is an exception for me because, its just the way she writes that I like about. I had invested in her other books (bought almost all of them I think) and I can't wait to read them all. The Lottery and Other Stories is a book picking up because of its writing but yes, it may not be anyone's cup of tea but still, I would highly recommend it for its weirdness, twist and unexpected spin of tales of the normal that makes it quite extraordinary.

review 2018-03-19 10:04
Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver mysteries, #15 or 16)
Miss Silver Comes to Stay - Patricia Wentworth

This was my second Miss Silver mystery; the first one I read was the first in the series, and frankly, it left me dubious about reading the rest, but I found this and one other on the bottom shelf at a local used book store and threw caution to the wind.

My brief googling has this book at either 15 or 16 in the series, and it shows.  It was so much better!  90% less sappy puppy romance, 100% better plotting and characterisations.  And the writing... the writing felt fresh and a little edgy, in that way that third person POV does when it's done correctly.  An occasional and very subtle breaking of the fourth wall added to that feeling that I was reading a very accomplished writer's work.

I've heard that Wentworth was rather fond of using wills in her story lines, and this one doesn't disprove the rumour, but ... no, I'm not going to go further - I'm not sure it doesn't skirt the boundaries of spoiler-ville.

The mystery plotting... masterful.  I was sucked into the story thoroughly; totally hooked and I missed it all, until it was so late in the game that it made no difference.  I like Miss Silver; she's Miss Marple without the pretence of fluffiness and helplessness, so losing to her didn't bother me in the least.  I only wish she'd stop coughing all the time.  Someone ought to give that woman a cough drop.

I hope the other Miss Silver book I grabbed at the same time is as good, and I'll definitely be taking the time to look at the series' books again, though I might completely break rank with my life long habits and skip the first few books.  Now I know how good she can be, I'd rather not suffer through Wentworth's growing pains if I can avoid it.

This book is the perfect fit for the Kill Your Darlings game's COD: Arsenical Toothpaste.  It is a mystery, and it's main character is a woman over the age of 55.  There should be bonus points for the knitting.  ;-)

review 2018-03-15 13:54
Interesting Look at the World of Middle Earth
The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien

So this was hard to read in just one sitting. It took me several days to finish with this. Honestly I am glad that I did read this, but it's definitely not a book I would re-read again. There were parts of it that put me right to sleep. I think my favorite section was The Third Age.

Tolkien definitely uses The Bible, Greek, and Roman mythology as inspiration for some of the characters and events in "The Silmarillion." I got a kick at first going oh this is supposed to be Hades, this is supposed to be Persephone, this is Neptune, etc. But yeah after a while I just ceased to care about some of the characters we were getting introduced to as we went along. It just read as this person and this person are related to this person, and they had sons named X.

I do have to say that Tolkien mirrors most of the language that is used in The Bible. I would call it excessively flowery language, but some of it definitely evokes a reaction in me.

For example:

"Three Rings for the Elven-Kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie."

Doesn't that just make you sit and picture it in your head?

Other times though I found myself re-reading the same lines over and over again since he would sometimes put information on separate people in a sentence and I would go, wait, who is he talking about here?

"Oromë is a mighty lord. If he is less strong than Tulkas, he is more dreadful in anger; whereas Tulkas laughs ever, in sport or in war, and even in the face of Melkor he laughed in battles before the Elves were born. Oromë loved the lands of Middle-earth, and he left them unwillingly"

The flow was not great in this. I think that Tolkien was overly descriptive in a lot of places.

The setting of Middle Earth is fantastic though. I can see why so many people love The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

review 2018-03-13 09:37
Die Freuden der Pflicht
Deutschstunde - Siegfried Lenz

Siegfried Lenz war einer der bedeutendsten Schriftsteller der deutschen Nachkriegsliteratur. 1926 in Ostpreußen geboren, wurde er 1943 zur Kriegsmarine eingezogen und desertierte kurz vor Kriegsende in Dänemark. Später etablierte er sich erst als Autor von Erzählungen, Kurzgeschichten und Novellen, bevor ihm mit seinen Romanen ebenfalls der Durchbruch gelang. Sein vermutlich wichtigstes Werk ist „Deutschstunde“, das 1968 erschien und im Kontext der Studentenunruhen große Beachtung erhielt. Siegfried Lenz positionierte sich stets gegen die deutsche Kriegsvergangenheit und zögerte nie, sich literarisch mit den Verbrechen des Nationalsozialismus auseinanderzusetzen. Die Bücher des 2014 verstorbenen Autors werden bis heute im Deutschunterricht vieler Schulen behandelt. Auf dem Lehrplan meines Gymnasiums stand er hingegen nicht, weshalb ich „Deutschstunde“ im Januar 2018 privat las.

„Die Freuden der Pflicht“ lautet das Thema, zu dem Siggi Jepsen im Deutschunterricht einer Hamburger Besserungsanstalt einen Aufsatz schreiben soll. Ein Thema, zu dem er so viel zu sagen hat, dass er nicht weiß, wo er beginnen soll. Am Ende der Stunde hat er kein einziges Wort zu Papier gebracht. Die Anstaltsleitung bietet ihm an, den Aufsatz als Strafarbeit zu vollenden – allein, in Isolation. Eingeschlossen in seiner Zelle findet er endlich die Ruhe, die er benötigt, um sich seinen Erinnerungen zu stellen. Tag für Tag, Woche für Woche, Monat für Monat schildert Siggi seine Kindheit als Sohn des nördlichsten Polizeihauptwachtmeisters Deutschlands, der 1943 die Order erhielt, das Malverbot des Künstlers Max Ludwig Nansen durchzusetzen. Ungehemmt berichtet er, wie das blinde Pflichtbewusstsein seines Vaters sein Leben entscheidend prägte und warum er im Alter von 10 Jahren entschied, zu rebellieren und die Bilder des Malers heimlich zu retten. Je länger Siggi schreibt, desto klarer schält sich seine Vergangenheit heraus und desto näher rückt er der Erkenntnis, nach der er es ihn mehr als alles andere verlangt: wer er ist.

Mit „Deutschstunde“ gelang Siegfried Lenz ein Roman, der entscheidend zur deutschen Erinnerungskultur beiträgt und uns hilft, zu verstehen, was sich das deutsche Volk im Dritten Reich selbst antat. Am Beispiel des fiktiven, durch und durch norddeutschen Rugbülls, Heimat des Ich-Erzählers Siggi Jepsen, beschreibt Lenz, wie Nationalsozialismus und Krieg in der deutschen Provinz ankamen und sich subtil auf den Alltag völlig durchschnittlicher Menschen auswirkten. Lenz‘ Schreibstil ist gewöhnungsbedürftig, da er keine Abgrenzung von wörtlicher Rede verwendet und häufig auf willkürliche, abrupte Szenenwechsel zurückgreift, um auf die Rahmenerzählung des Aufsatzes zu verweisen. Siggis Schilderungen sind zweigeteilt und multiperspektivisch. Erzählzeit und erzählte Zeit driften stark auseinander. In der Gegenwart beobachten die Leser_innen ihn als beinahe volljährigen Mann beim Schreiben seiner Memoiren in Vogelperspektive, in der Vergangenheit durchleben sie an seiner Seite die Erfahrungen seines 10-jährigen Ichs in Froschperspektive. Der Begriff der Pflicht ist das zentrale Thema der fragmentarischen Erinnerungen des kindlichen Protagonisten. Dessen Erlebenswelt wird von zwei männlichen Bezugspersonen und ihren gegensätzlichen Auffassungen von Pflichtbewusstsein geprägt: sein Vater, der Polizeihauptwachtmeister Jens Ole Jepsen und sein Nachbar, der Maler Max Ludwig Nansen. Während sein Vater die verheerendste Version blinder Pflichterfüllung verkörpert, die keine Zweifel zulässt, ausschließlich auf das korrekte Ausführen von Befehlen und den unerschütterlichen Glauben an Autorität ausgerichtet ist, ohne das eigene Gewissen zu belästigen, sieht sich der Maler nur seinem intuitiven Verantwortungsgefühl und seiner Kunst verpflichtet. Die Beziehung der beiden Männer ist über ihre aufgezwungene Verbindung hinaus emotional aufgeladen, da sie einst Freunde waren. Zwischen diesen beiden Extremen muss Siggi wählen, eine für ein Kind nahezu unmögliche Entscheidung. Es ist bezeichnend für Siggis Intelligenz und Kreativität, dass er fähig ist, seine eigene Lösung aus diesem Dilemma zu finden, ohne sich einer der Parteien ganz zu verschreiben. Er wählt einen Mittelweg, der ihm eine gewisse Unabhängigkeit bewahrt. Trotz dessen zeigt sich in der Gegenwart seiner Erzählung, dass Siggi von dem prinzipiellen Konflikt seines Vaters mit Nansen traumatisiert wurde. Meiner Ansicht nach steht er exemplarisch für die erste Jugendgeneration nach Kriegsende, die ziellos und verunsichert versuchte, ihre Identität fern vom Vorbild ihrer Eltern zu gestalten. Siggi durchläuft durch das Schreiben seines Aufsatzes eine Entwicklung, die es ihm ermöglicht, mit seiner Vergangenheit abzuschließen. Ich konnte erkennen, dass Lenz im offenen Ende seines Romans Hoffnung anklingen ließ, muss aber zugeben, dass sich diese Emotion in meiner Gefühlswelt kaum durchsetzen konnte. Ich fühlte mich traurig und leer, als ich das Buch zuschlug.

Es fällt mir schwer, mir vorzustellen, wie „Deutschstunde“ auf Leser_innen wirken mag, die nicht in Deutschland geboren und/oder aufgewachsen sind. Vielleicht wird dieser zutiefst deutsche Roman von einem internationalen Publikum vollkommen anders empfunden? Vielleicht als langweilig, weil es eher interessant als spannend ist? Kann man sich nur dann wirklich in Siggi Jepsens Geschichte hineindenken und -fühlen, wenn man unter dem Eindruck der allgegenwärtigen Erinnerungen an die deutsche Vergangenheit heranwuchs? Möglicherweise kann es ausschließlich in Leser_innen, die sich als Deutsche verstehen, die gesamte Bandbreite der beabsichtigten Emotionen wecken. Ein zweifelhaftes Privileg. Wir leben mit der Schuld. Wir leben mit der Scham. „Deutschstunde“ ist das Buch eines Deutschen für Deutsche. Gegen das Vergessen. Für die Aufarbeitung einer Historie, die uns noch immer schmerzt.

Source: wortmagieblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/siegfried-lenz-deutschstunde
review 2018-03-11 09:37
To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Yes, I've finally read it.  I'd managed to not read TKAM for decades because there was never a copy at hand and frankly, I was never interested enough to make any effort to acquire one.  Until, as some of you know, I was at a library book sale last year and made an impulsive grab of a copy for $1, which turned out to be one of those 1-in-1000 freak instances of a first edition sliding under the radar.  It's a well loved first edition, but even so, it's worth considerably more than $1.

Now, I have a rule: I don't keep books in my library I don't intend to read.  So, when I told my husband about my unbelievably lucky find his response was SELL IT.  SELL IT NOW!  But I didn't want to sell it, which meant I had to read it.  And here we are.

I'm not going to waste anybody's time by trying to review To Kill a Mockingbird on the coattails of the millions of others who've read and reviewed it over the years.  I will just say this:  it was good.  Of course it was good.  But after all the hype surrounding this book I was surprised by the following:  it's a much slower-paced book than I expected; years go by in this book.  The brief bursts of humor: Scout's dry delivery made me chuckle a few times.  And finally, this book isn't just about one plot; there are two stories running parallel, and though they intertwine at the end, they are distinct.  There were a few other things - not really surprises, just very salient points and choices Lee makes that I found interesting and filed away for future conversations with friends.

I enjoyed this book enormously and I'm glad I read it.  Do I think it's one of the be-all-end-all books I've ever read?  No, sorry.  But I can't think of any reason on Earth I'd ever actively steer anyone away from reading it.  I can't think of anyone or any circumstance which I'd be saying "eh, maybe this one wouldn't be for you".  I think it's for everyone and since we've yet to learn the lessons it teaches, it's a book that should be read again and again.

This book applies to so. many. cards. for the Kill Your Darlings game, and I have no idea yet what I'll use it for.