logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: clinton
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-18 19:53
Woosa- What Happened
What Happened - Hillary Rodham Clinton

I was mad, happy, sad, and back to mad again by the time I finished this memoir. "What Happened" is Hillary Clinton's comments on the recent 2016 United States Presidential Election. Or as I and my friends started to call it, that farce that we all know was rigged (Hi Russia) but not in the way many think. Clinton talks about voter suppression, Russian bots, Russia itself, the media, and heck even former and current politicians who influenced the 2016 election. Yes she even discusses "But Her emails" too. What I took away from this was even more respect for Clinton than I had previously. Reading this no holds barred look at what happened just hits you in the gut at how much was thrown at her and how the media and politicians kept letting Trump off the hook.

I do have to say that Clinton really does discuss everything that you would want her to discuss in this book. She discusses her marriage her life as a mother her life as the first lady and then a secretary of state. She mentions how her meetings with Putin become increasingly hostile because hey, Putin doesn't like women and he certainly did not like Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State not giving an inch when he was trying to take a mile.

One thing that this book that speak of extensively is Hillary Clinton's regrets. Most of her regrets are about failing us. That she is worried for us as a country about what this means when we love fake news and men that attack and demean to rise to positions of power in the United States government?

What happens when we decide that being actually really good at your job with real solutions doesn't matter as much as the media can turn something into a meme or a gif and get ratings for it?

What happens when we ignore the racism out of some that we have elected to office because we think that there are a good guy that we can have a beer with.

I do also like the fact that Hillary Clinton goes into how difficult it is to run in the United States for a woman because of the things that are held against us that really are not held against us in other countries. Other countries have elected women to the highest levels of office. It's kind of embarrassing that for America to go around saying that we are the light and the forefront of democracy that no woman has ever been President or Vice President of these United States of America. I hated how people would say that Hillary Clinton was too shrill or wasn't warm enough or any of these other things that we talk about when we discuss women. But men are seen as being forceful and in charge when they're nasty and loud and throw s***.

I loved her comments on the Mothers of the Movement, Flint (she's still pissed and we all should be), the NRA, and people who shook her hand and would then call her the devil saying she should be locked up.

I do have to say though that I would recommend this book to people who just want to read more about Hillary Clinton's thoughts. Because she truly comes alive in this book. I was lucky enough to meet Secretary Clinton back when I was in Iraq and I loved her personality. She looked you right in the eyes when she was talking to you, and you knew that she was listening to what you were saying. I think that says a lot about somebody that she made sure that she personally talked to everybody that had to come to see her give a speech while I was in Iraq. She had to be tired and ready to go, but she made sure she stayed there and talked to everybody who was willing to talk to her. I've seen other politicians flying through who couldn't spend more than 5 minutes talking to you and really wanted to be left alone.

I do think that in the end history is going to remember Hillary Clinton for not just the first woman who managed to get the Democratic nomination for president. But just as a very good person to know who fought for us even when many were hoping she fail.

Look at the media going after the Clintons again, talking about Benghazi again, wanting her to be guilty of something because then it would help erase some of the guilt that they all probably should and do feel over how they easily played into the hands of another foreign power and Donald Trump.

Onward together.

review 2017-11-02 23:43
Review of What Happened by Hillary Clinton
What Happened - Hillary Rodham Clinton

I am very excited to have read this book as I will have a chance to meet Hillary Clinton at a book signing in December.  This book had a great deal that I enjoyed, but only rated it as three stars because I felt that long parts of the story had nothing to do with the 2016 election.  While I did enjoy reading about her earlier life, I felt like I already knew that part of her story from reading her earlier books.  I really enjoyed her thoughts about the election and why she thinks it turned out the way it did.  Most reviewers allow their personal political opinions to sway their reviews, but objectively, I think she makes many plausible points.  Also, as I read in the news every day, it may quickly be realized that her warning about Trump and the Russian connections were very on point.  I recommend this for political junkies who approach it with an open mind.

review 2017-10-13 00:00
What Happened
What Happened - Hillary Rodham Clinton I really enjoyed this. It helped to soothe me. I was not happy how everything went down. She gives her side of everything, but it isn't a crying story. It tells what she did wrong and what other circumstances went wrong. It tells how she got over it, things she turned to in order to feel better. I enjoyed seeing more of her without a guard up. I understand why she has always had to shield herself, but it's nice seeing more of her. She encouraged everyone to follow their dreams and not give up on the government but to get involved. Even though it covers a time that left me depressed, it's an uplifting story. Seeing how smart she is and knowledgeable on issues does make it feel even more insane that she didn't win.
review 2017-10-13 00:00
It Takes a Village: Picture Book Edition
It Takes a Village: Picture Book Edition... It Takes a Village: Picture Book Edition - Hillary Rodham Clinton,Marla Frazee This book is to show kids that it takes all of us, a diverse population which includes adults and kids to do things. The people in the book are working on a community project together. There's a line in it that says something about kids not coming with instructions (or something like that), and it says grown-ups don't either. I thought that was a good point to make for kids.
review 2017-09-30 00:08
[REVIEW] What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton
What Happened - Hillary Rodham Clinton

I wasn't going to read this book. I'm still trying to pretend that what happened on November 8th, 2016 didn't happen. However, seeing the vitriol directed at her for just DARING to write a book about her experience and not disappearing into the night in shame made me want a read it and so I did. Besides, I won't lie that I needed to hear her voice, I needed to feel some semblance of guidance.

This isn't an easy read, especially when you take into consideration how the United States is being led by a man without compassion, dignity or morality (just look at all he is NOT doing to help Puerto Rico). I'm not saying Hillary Rodham Clinton isn't without her flaws because she is. I'm not saying she would've made a perfect president, but she would've been infinitely better than the person at the helm right now: just to hear her express herself, her coherence, her candor, her knowledge of politics and international affairs. It makes me want to break into song: WE COULD'VE HAD IT AAAAAAALL.

Listening to it as I commuted to and from work both stung and calmed me. There were times where I had to stop listening because I just wanted to cry, it was too painful, too raw, my skin prickled with emotion. Other times I felt angry on her behalf. She holds no punches, and I loved her for it. I also loved how she spoke about her life's work, her family, but most of all I loved learning about her mother, about how Hillary Rodham Clinton takes care of herself, how she fusses over others. I relate to that. I am the designated mama hen of all of my friends.

She also talks about sexism, gun control, immigration, to name a few. It was refreshing to have someone speak with so much aplomb and sense. Contrary to what others might be thinking, she takes full responsibility for what happened during the 2016 election. She also points out the many other factors that inevitably influenced the outcome. She asks people to pick a cause and to fight it; she asks people to be kind.

The book ended, and I somehow managed to hold back the tears in the subway. I don't feel my heart has fully healed from the disappointment of her not winning, and therefore I get to live with anxiety 100% of the time, but thanks to this, I'm starting to gather the pieces to move forward.